Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

make this point without using advanced stats like “age”

age isn’t a stat

it’s something you can see in real life (sadly )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

I know I’m young . I think that’s why I can see the game more clearly as I’m not wrapped up in old guy analytics

euphronius posted:

accusing me of being old is so hurtful . I’m not the one watching espn highlight and playing fantasy basketball with my middle management buddies

euphronius posted:

im not old I reject “advanced” stats

euphronius posted:

dads think Curry is the mvp

I’m thinking about basketball in a new way. the old heads are the ones who care about scoring titles and leading a team to the lottery with style

I’m concerned with actual truth

euphronius posted:

But now they are leading to absurd conclusions, absurd results, and lack of correct seeing. Its time to move on, put your old stats away and actually watch basketball like a young, courageous person.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Right now the Nuggets are winning by 27 points and ballhogger Jokic only has 2 field goal attempts but 9 assists!

Edit: 10!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

when you come back in a week I hope you learn to curb your gaslighting

it’s very abusive

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

also I am 46

Who were the most overrated 80s-90s players that made a bunch of all-star games (besides Kobe)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
you know we joke about players getting "triple single" but when you think about it you have to be a hyper elite athlete to record any stats at all in an nba game let alone three different types

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

when you come back in a week I hope you learn to curb your gaslighting

it’s very abusive

Did I convince you via gaslighting that you're a different age than you actually are? lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

euphronius posted:

I would say - eye test wise - kg was a little more spectacular due to his freaky length and mean mugs , but horford has had they better career slightly

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

I am placing you on a probation for a week for gaslighting

New thread title pls

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't think Kobe was nearly as overrated in the late 90s/early 00s as he has since become

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Yossarian-22 posted:

Right now the Nuggets are winning by 27 points and ballhogger Jokic only has 2 field goal attempts but 9 assists!

Edit: 10!

https://twitter.com/nuggets/status/1598151416115499008

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Larry bird is the most overrated human being of all time in any field of human endeavor

so that is one

Karl Malone was overrated as mentioned awhile back

isiah Thomas

Chris mullon

Kevin Johnson

Dan Majele

John Stockton

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

More 2000s than 90s but I'd say Allen Iverson and Steve Nash were both pretty overrated, and then later Paul Pierce when KG helped carry him to a title

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao that is a normal play

it’s not even a highlight what the gently caress

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Larry bird is the most overrated human being of all time in any field of human endeavor

so that is one

Karl Malone was overrated as mentioned awhile back

isiah Thomas

Chris mullon

Kevin Johnson

Dan Majele

John Stockton

Lot of enemies of Bulls athletics, I agree and approve

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thank you for the support but I know I am right about the whole thing we don’t have to rub it in yodsarians face while he’s on probation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

saying Iverson was overrated is like saying MJ or Tom Brady aren't the greatest. just factually untrue. they should make another level of the hall of fame to put Iverson in

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

so that is one

Chris mullon

Dan Majele

John Stockton

lol I'm seeing a pattern

On this front I've never seen *anyone* highly rate Dan Majerle

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

80s 90s had tons of solid centers and amazing wings

it wasn’t like now when you had darts players from Brighton making all nba teams or whatever

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Iverson is factually one of the coolest NBA players to ever live and watching him play was something to behold, but he couldn't play defense or shoot from the outside. He was 2000s Westbrook but without the passing/rebounding talent

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

thank you for the support but I know I am right about the whole thing we don’t have to rub it in yodsarians face while he’s on probation

hes not on probation. why did you say that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

hes not on probation. why did you say that

???

he’s on probation for a week . for gaslighting . it happened like 10 minutes ago !!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Gaslighting means I have to engage in psychological manipulation to make you think you're a different age lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao at the announcers being impressed jokic caught the ball

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

Iverson is factually one of the coolest NBA players to ever live and watching him play was something to behold, but he couldn't play defense or shoot from the outside. He was 2000s Westbrook but without the passing/rebounding talent

Steve Francis made bank without being good at anything but scoring, and wasn't nearly as cool no

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Pacers-Kings today in a showdown to see who was the winner of the trade last year

(The Pacers obviously lmao Kings)

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Isentropy posted:

Steve Francis made bank without being good at anything but scoring, and wasn't nearly as cool no

I think by the time Steve Francis was on the Magic and Knicks people realized that he was a fraud. He peaked very early and very briefly on Houston

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Most underrated of the 2000s has to have been Shawn Marion, Tracy McGrady, and weirdly enough Dwyane Wade

Wade at his peak was so much better than Kobe. No comparison

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yossarian-22 posted:

Most underrated of the 2000s has to have been Shawn Marion, Tracy McGrady, and weirdly enough Dwyane Wade

Wade at his peak was so much better than Kobe. No comparison

you just made the comparison

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

drat you got me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i always thought tayshaun prince was good. maybe he just turned up big against the celtics idk

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

here is a challenge

make an interesting comment about basketball without using a stat

Euph is the Bill Mitchell of basketball

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Also Tatum just put up 49 on 15/25 and 8/12 from 3.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I forgot about Manu Ginobili (underrated) and Tony Parker (overrated)

Manu would have been Doncic or Harden if he played on a team where he got more minutes and possessions. He was a freak of nature

I'd say all of the Pistons minus Rip Hamilton (Prince/Sheed/Ben Wallace/Billups) were pretty drat underrated and all but Prince should be in the HOF

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yeah that one was a real eye popper

I know there's gotta be some element of tongue in cheek going on but I can't shake the troubling impression that he really believes that poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Sounds like a real ball hog

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Devin Booker is 18/23 through three quarters. Suns are winning by 20 but I wonder if he'll try to go for 60

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Vox Nihili posted:

Sounds like a real ball hog

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

clear leader with Giannis for mvp. no one else worth even mentioning . maybe Booker

I think Tatum probably wins unanimously at this point tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

here’s a fun statistic: if you time machined jayson tatum back to 1978 the game would have evolved differently