Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know what sick thrill Tigel gets from carrying water equivalent to the Pacific for Trump and the seditionists but that must be some exhausting release man.

Just like laughing at the nerd going "b...but the LAW says..." when Trump and Co wiped their crusty taints with the concept.

"Oh, I mean MTG and Boebert we're just excited to show all these 3%er Militia Men and Planning PPl all around the capitol! Especially Pelosi's office and egress routes!"

"Well of course they were tweeting and texting the movements of the Reps! They didn't want anyone to worry!"

Honestly! Why give any of these freaks the benefit of the doubt! Why!?

who is tigrel? When I goggle search that name all I get is a weird mobile game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grip it and rip it posted:

who is tigrel? When I goggle search that name all I get is a weird mobile game

Almost certainly a typo of "Rigel" the poster who was saying the GOP reps didn't actually break a federal law they can be charged with.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Who watched the Garland press conference and can tell us what he said?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

there was a garland press conference?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

A quick skim of the CSPAN transcript indicates it's on two subjects: an announcement of the full scope of the Rhodes verdicts over the last couple days, particularly drawing attention to the other defendants and sentences, and discussing the third party oversight orders approved for the city of Jackson to deal with neglect in their drinking water utilities, part of the new office of environmental justice at DoJ.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Discendo Vox posted:

A quick skim of the CSPAN transcript indicates it's on two subjects: an announcement of the full scope of the Rhodes verdicts over the last couple days, particularly drawing attention to the other defendants and sentences, and discussing the third party oversight orders approved for the city of Jackson to deal with neglect in their drinking water utilities, part of the new office of environmental justice at DoJ.

Kind of interesting that those got combined into one press talk.

I mean, not like "Ooo what mysteries are here*~*~" interesting, but in a "I had pickles and liverwurst and broccoli in the fridge, so dinner is all three" interesting way.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Not really surprising.

Garland seems more like someone focused on doing the work and less on updating the peanut gallery about the status of the work.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

At the end he mentions a new Oath Keepers trial beginning on Monday.

??? Do we know who that is? I've lost track of all the shitheads.

Edit: I guess it's five more OKs for seditious conspiracy and this was known already. Well there you go.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 30, 2022

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

Not really surprising.

Garland seems more like someone focused on doing the work and less on updating the peanut gallery about the status of the work.

Getting the head of the Oath Keepers seems like a fairly big fish. Am I crazy to think that?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Kind of interesting that those got combined into one press talk.

I mean, not like "Ooo what mysteries are here*~*~" interesting, but in a "I had pickles and liverwurst and broccoli in the fridge, so dinner is all three" interesting way.

It's a bit weird, it's not showing up in the usual DoJ press feeds either; Garland does some grab bag press avails sometimes, but it's infrequent and they're usually on the DoJ site.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Getting the head of the Oath Keepers seems like a fairly big fish. Am I crazy to think that?

About on par with the people who were held accountable for Abu Ghraib.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Mooseontheloose posted:

That plus the conviction. I can’t help but think that in the run up and ongoing discourse re: Jan. 6 about how I would hear/read the unlikelyhood of the charge of seditious conspiracy since it is so rare due to the history of unsuccessful charges. Feels to me like a big deal but IANAL just a news consumer.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 30, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mooseontheloose posted:

He's a medium-sized fish with sorta-direct connections to the actually big ones. Rhodes going to jail for what he and his lot of goose-stepping bastards did is unambiguously a good thing, of course, but if it stops at his level the top-level conspirators will have skated (and will try it again).

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Discendo Vox posted:

A quick skim of the CSPAN transcript indicates it's on two subjects: an announcement of the full scope of the Rhodes verdicts over the last couple days, particularly drawing attention to the other defendants and sentences, ...
So I'll probably jinx it, but this could be a good thing. Garland seems to be doing routine press conferences now, which means he could be practicing and preparing. Practicing to not faint, and preparing so maybe he'll luck out and people won't be paying attention when it happens.

Imagine being the one who gets to stand in front of a room of reporters and announce that "for actions undertaken in connection with the January 6 insurrection, today at 2pm I authorized indictments against the following for treason and seditious conspiracy against the United States of America: DJT former duly elected president of the United States, CT acting Associate Supreme Court Justice, ..."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So I'll probably jinx it, but this could be a good thing. Garland seems to be doing routine press conferences now, which means he could be practicing and preparing. Practicing to not faint, and preparing so maybe he'll luck out and people won't be paying attention when it happens.

Imagine being the one who gets to stand in front of a room of reporters and announce that "for actions undertaken in connection with the January 6 insurrection, today at 2pm I authorized indictments against the following for treason and seditious conspiracy against the United States of America: DJT former duly elected president of the United States, CT acting Associate Supreme Court Justice, ..."

If he does that and finishes with a full :dealwithit: I can die happy.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

I think trump would be informed of the indictment prior to this press conference and get on his not-twitter and not-tweet that they're coming to get him. He may even tell his freedom loving supporters to come to Mar a Lago to defend him. Everyone would know by the time of this press session.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What does this conviction do to Trump's 2024 run? It's a reasonable assumption that any network that isn't OANN is going to ask Trump about it continuously - and Trump can't run a campaign with a single network. Even Fox isn't in his corner any more. Does he promise a pardon? Does he call them misguided? This is not a coachable candidate, as we've seen, but I'm trying to figure out what the hell happens next. Sedition is about as serious as it gets when it comes to federal crimes, it's hard to get much worse.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/30/politics/house-ways-and-means-committee-now-has-donald-trumps-federal-tax-returns/index.html
House committee receives Donald Trump’s federal tax returns from IRS

"The House Ways and Means Committee now has six years of Donald Trump’s federal tax returns, ending a years long pursuit by Democrats to dig into one of the former president’s most closely guarded personal details."

"The committee, led by Democratic Rep. Richard Neal of Massachusetts, had sought six years of Trump’s tax records, primarily from the time he served as president. That included records about both Trump personally and several of his corporate entities.

The panel is planning to meet Thursday to get briefed on the legal ramifications of the section of the tax law that Neal used to request Trump’s tax returns, according to a Neal aide."
"Democrats are not expected to review the tax returns at this session, and the documents are not expected to be immediately released to the public."

No other info given which is to be expected.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 1, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

OgNar posted:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/30/politics/house-ways-and-means-committee-now-has-donald-trumps-federal-tax-returns/index.html
House committee receives Donald Trump’s federal tax returns from IRS

"The House Ways and Means Committee now has six years of Donald Trump’s federal tax returns, ending a years long pursuit by Democrats to dig into one of the former president’s most closely guarded personal details."

No other info given which is to be expected.

It's really weird when you know something big happened but you can't actually tell.

Shooting Blanks posted:

What does this conviction do to Trump's 2024 run? It's a reasonable assumption that any network that isn't OANN is going to ask Trump about it continuously - and Trump can't run a campaign with a single network. Even Fox isn't in his corner any more. Does he promise a pardon? Does he call them misguided? This is not a coachable candidate, as we've seen, but I'm trying to figure out what the hell happens next. Sedition is about as serious as it gets when it comes to federal crimes, it's hard to get much worse.

You're skipping ahead several steps in the process so it's kind of hard to answer this question. First, if we're already assuming that he's convicted in that kind of timeframe we might as well hope that he's also sentenced and processed while we're at it, in which case the answer is "with great difficulty" because he'd have to literally do all the campaigning from some kind of house arrest*. Of course then there's the stigma of being Candidate Convicted Criminal (we haven't specified what crime he's indicted of in this hypothetical yet).

But he can still run. The requirements to be president are literally just "35 years old" and "natural born citizen" and purposely kept that open because the founders wanted loving everyone(white, male) to be able to run for president, and some of them had an intermittent crime habit.

*I'm not optimistic enough to assume that actual prison is even in the room, let alone on the table.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're skipping ahead several steps in the process so it's kind of hard to answer this question. First, if we're already assuming that he's convicted in that kind of timeframe we might as well hope that he's also sentenced and processed while we're at it, in which case the answer is "with great difficulty" because he'd have to literally do all the campaigning from some kind of house arrest*. Of course then there's the stigma of being Candidate Convicted Criminal (we haven't specified what crime he's indicted of in this hypothetical yet).

Sorry, I meant the conviction of the Oathkeepers folks - not an indictment/conviction of Trump. I wasn't clear, my bad.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Sorry, I meant the conviction of the Oathkeepers folks - not an indictment/conviction of Trump. I wasn't clear, my bad.

No, I just can't read. I see exactly how I misread that now, my bad.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
McCarthy, a congresscritter to Bennie Thompson, another congresscritter, about a congressional committee:

"Preserve your records"

You mean these congressional records? That belong to Congress? Those records that should be preserved and archived?

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't know. The organization still exists. It has members, I'm sure people can still sign up. In like 6 months, i'm sure the public will by and large forget what it is. It won't become a toxic label or be intensely scrutinized by the public or by state law enforcement. So getting Rhodes is great because hey making conspiring to use force to remove a legitimately elected government is illegal but it's not a huge takedown.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 1, 2022

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

V-Men posted:

McCarthy, a congresscritter to Bennie Thompson, another congresscritter, about a congressional committee:

"Preserve your records"

You mean these congressional records? That belong to Congress? Those records that should be preserved and archived?

I don't know. The organization still exists. It has members, I'm sure people can still sign up. In like 6 months, i'm sure the public will by and large forget what it is. It won't become a toxic label or be intensely scrutinized by the public or by state law enforcement. So getting Rhodes is great because hey making conspiring to use force to remove a legitimately elected government is illegal but it's not a huge takedown.

I don’t think Rhodes is as big of a deal as we want to it to be. I HAD an acquaintance who was all into that Oathkeeper/3%er poo poo back in 2010 and he used to talk about nobody respected Rhodes - but a lot can happen in 10 years…

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

V-Men posted:

"Preserve your records"

This just seems very unwise. From their perspective it would be a lot better to disband the committee and try to forget it ever happened.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/30/politics/mccarthy-january-6-committee-preserve-records/index.html

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

This just seems very unwise. From their perspective it would be a lot better to disband the committee and try to forget it ever happened.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/30/politics/mccarthy-january-6-committee-preserve-records/index.html

How are they going to find out the methods, sources and personnel used to discover their plotting in order to better avoid getting caught/purge the unfaithful next time if they can't see the records?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Oracle posted:

How are they going to find out the methods, sources and personnel used to discover their plotting in order to better avoid getting caught/purge the unfaithful next time if they can't see the records?

McCarthy 100% just wants records for purposes of retribution and revenge.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Dems say they're going to release all the info

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/politics/zoe-lofgren-january-6-committee-findings-cnntv/index.html

Federal judge orders former top lawyers in Trump's White House to testify in criminal grand jury probe

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/politics/cipollone-philbin-trump-lawyers-testify/index.html

Appeals court halts special master review of documents seized at Mar-a-Lago. Big defeat for Trump

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/politics/mar-a-lago-special-master/index.html

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Lol so was everybody waiting for Trump to declare his candidacy?

"As long as he stays out of politics, whatever, water under the bridge. Oh he's running? Yeah fine let's go full throttle on all four investigations please!"

Or was this because the GOP flopped hard in the midterms?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'd chalk it up to everybody getting the wheels moving again with the election finally being over, but I don't have much to base that on directly

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's because Cannon hosed up the MaL document case for three whole months, hth

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/mosheroperandi/status/1598445648374018049

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mdemone posted:

It's because Cannon hosed up the MaL document case for three whole months, hth

And all the other investigations? That’s the interesting part.

Although I’m still curious what the delay was with the 11th Circuit. They really took their time writing LOL NO LMAO on a document.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

And all the other investigations? That’s the interesting part.

Although I’m still curious what the delay was with the 11th Circuit. They really took their time writing LOL NO LMAO on a document.

MaL documents will be the first set of charges. J6 is still percolating, first they have to GET ME ROGER STONE

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

MaL documents will be the first set of charges. J6 is still percolating, first they have to GET ME ROGER STONE

GA will likely beat them to the punch. They can’t be too far at this point from a decision one way or the other.

The J06 stuff is going to take longer just because everything getting dumped by congress has to be vetted to ensure there are no contradictions or substantive differences to what they already know and any discrepancies will need to be followed up on.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Federal judge orders former top lawyers in Trump's White House to testify in criminal grand jury probe

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/politics/cipollone-philbin-trump-lawyers-testify/index.html

I have to think that ordering lawyers to go back and add more information about their work has got to be a pretty big detail since they would have tried very hard to hit the required disclosures the first time around. For them to be ordered back the material they need to cover would have to be stuff they thought off limits originally.

Which implies some level of crime fraud exception type thing I would think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Geez. So many activist, biased, unfair judges littering the land determined to pick on real american patriots who just want to make things great. I guess when you're rich enough, one viable legal strategy is to just stall and appeal until you get a fair judge.

Meaning one that will sign off on whatever bullshit you're trying to pull.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ice burn in here:

quote:

It is indeed extraordinary for a warrant to be executed at the home of a former president—but not in a way that affects our legal analysis or otherwise gives the judiciary license to interfere in an ongoing investigation. The Richey test has been in place for nearly fifty years; its limits apply no matter who the government is investigating. To create a special exception here would defy our Nation’s foundational principle that our law applies “to all, without regard to numbers, wealth, or rank.”

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats funny is even if its all long shaggy dogs story, the GOP is gonna waste even more time and tie itself even closer to trump because the chuds demand it and now we will see some impeachment effort on garland because of this. if they had any brains they would ignore this and keep severing ties to the fucker like they were trying to do last week.

Thinking strategically, their biggest possible win would be backing Trump 110%, and then Trump losing and going to prison for long enough for him to never be a political actor again.

The big problem of the GOP right now is that they have created a monster they no longer like, but cannot afford to let go lest it eat them too. Trump is probably not going to win any elections going forward (exhibit 1: all the guys he picked for midterms who massively underperformed), but he also has the ability to make any republican candidate lose by either running third party, or just poo poo-talking about them to his hordes of supporters.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

Thinking strategically, their biggest possible win would be backing Trump 110%, and then Trump losing and going to prison for long enough for him to never be a political actor again.

The big problem of the GOP right now is that they have created a monster they no longer like, but cannot afford to let go lest it eat them too. Trump is probably not going to win any elections going forward (exhibit 1: all the guys he picked for midterms who massively underperformed), but he also has the ability to make any republican candidate lose by either running third party, or just poo poo-talking about them to his hordes of supporters.

You got a typo in that first paragraph or am I not reading well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Xiahou Dun posted:

You got a typo in that first paragraph or am I not reading well?

"The only way for the gop to win long term is for him to lose (since he's already announced he's running) then go to prison forever so he's out of their hair" was my reading