Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Steadiman posted:

Monkey populi, monkey dei

Elon stans, and Elon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

ded posted:

stereo systems with brain implanted headhpones

They have this Google ocular implants. No joke blue tooth speakers in your head. It's designed for deaf people. My coworkers son has em its sick. The teacher wears a little pendant with a mic in it and he can hear her. She forgets to turn it off and he can hear her in the teachers lounge across the building. He can also simply turn them off if he's not feeling what's she's saying and connect to his phone and listen to music instead.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I mentioned this in another Elmo thread: Elon or one of his cultists assistants said last night that "we don't even have to know anything about the brain".

"Let that sink in" - they want to implant this vaportech bullshit into people's skulls, but they don't need to understand anything about the brain and its complexities (as FizFashizzle has explained them) to do it.

But because he's a billionaire, and billionaires are assumed to be savvy because they're wealthy, we have to listen to this fuckwit. Real late-stage capitalism dystopian poo poo.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I just wanted to say that this is the first time in my life I've ever gotten a magic eye picture to work.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

They have this Google ocular implants. No joke blue tooth speakers in your head. It's designed for deaf people. My coworkers son has em its sick. The teacher wears a little pendant with a mic in it and he can hear her. She forgets to turn it off and he can hear her in the teachers lounge across the building. He can also simply turn them off if he's not feeling what's she's saying and connect to his phone and listen to music instead.

Ocular implants would be for eyes.

You're thinking of cochlear implants

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lets Pickle posted:

I just wanted to say that this is the first time in my life I've ever gotten a magic eye picture to work.

Cross your eyes slightly to see an old friend :unsmith:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Icon Of Sin posted:

Cross your eyes slightly to see an old friend :unsmith:

That one doesn't work with cross eyes, you gotta do the "stare at a point far beyond the horizon" to get the proper effect. (Which sadly I'm unable to do anymore)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

I have no idea what the current tech is in this area, but wouldn't it be possible to make the sensor array inside the brain communicate wirelessly with an outside system? Then there would be no open channel for bacteria or other stuff to get through.

Sure, but then you have the problem of how to maintain delicate and sensitive electronics that are sealed inside someone's skull.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Cthulu Carl posted:

Ocular implants would be for eyes.

You're thinking of cochlear implants

I worked in an office with someone who had a cochlear. It's by no means perfect but he seemed to really appreciate it.

Since it was an "open office" (ie excuse to cheap out on real estate), I was incredibly jealous of his ability to plug directly into his headphone jack of his laptop to block out the rest of the world and just chill to music.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Needs power and data transfer too.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

There's also the issue that the electronics still take an appreciable amount of space. In the current iteration, they are using the space that used to be occupied by the cranium bone for this (literally replacing a chunk of your skull with the electronics). But then you have to get the electrodes through the durum, or put the durum back around the tiny wires. And they just aren't able to do either yet.

But really, what was mind-bogingly bad from the presentation last night is the way they are still dealing with the keyboard. The demo was still just extracting mouse motions from the signals and throwing it at a shallow neural net trained on MNIST, or some other standard dataset, I didn't get it clearly. This is just never going to cut it as any real form of next-gen BCI.

They really need to be demonstrating signal discrimination on the order of 100s of dimensions before this can be of any real use beyond restoring a modicum of agency for severely disabled people. They are still stuck at 2.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 1, 2022

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

https://youtu.be/09txSUWgCbA

This stand up comedian is a pro click.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

goatface posted:

Needs power and data transfer too.

I just explained data transfer - wireless! Power is an issue, you either have to put in a battery with all the issues that comes with, or do some fancy NFC/RFID power induction (but that means your system has less power than a bug's fart to read neuron signals and transmit them out through flesh and bone)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ymgve posted:

I just explained data transfer - wireless! Power is an issue, you either have to put in a battery with all the issues that comes with, or do some fancy NFC/RFID power induction (but that means your system has less power than a bug's fart to read neuron signals and transmit them out through flesh and bone)

quantum

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sounds like a lot of the cool sci-fi cyborg poo poo we dream up is harshly slapped away by the reality of "lol, you'll get a terrible infection and die, dumbass". A lot of prosthetics we use still keep the body separate from the device. (or alternatively the device needs to be completely inside the body like an implant)

I imagine if we could just magically make infections not a thing anymore (but bacteria still exists and do the necessary things we need without killing us), then we probably would have come up with all kinds of cool poo poo by now.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Just tap into the body's power! I need to eat an extra burrito every day to make my brain go now.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1598003516521709569?s=20&t=AmqDrJT9cJEpGIJhgVNxlg

whoopsies

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

He just won't pay her. He doesn't care.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Frank Frank posted:

that's a quick way to lawsuitville

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Frank Frank posted:

that'd put him in violation of contract and open to yet another lawsuit he can't win

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That's the fast track to getting utterly demolished in the EU, which admittedly is looking more and more likely to happen on multiple inbound tracks, into the Grand Central Station of Finding Out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He’s stuck paying her until she leaves or he finds a way to fire her for real. I’m not even sure he can reassign her to other duties because presumably she has a contract for her current position.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishing with the fam posted:

Just tap into the body's power! I need to eat an extra burrito every day to make my brain go now.

There are a few designs for generators that leech stuff from the blood to stick through a micro fuel cell type arrangement. Then there's all the kinetic options that require a certain amount of movement.

Or just use a lump of plutonium in a micro RTG.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

He’s stuck paying her until she leaves or he finds a way to fire her for real. I’m not even sure he can reassign her to other duties because presumably she has a contract for her current position.

Twitter doesn't actually have to be a viable business or make money to be part of the griftosphere, it could go on indefinitely as a much smaller US-only platform for reactionary propaganda funded by oil daddies and dictators as an ongoing expense, and many of Musk's fascist cronies probably want to shred the US' trade agreements with Europe in the hopes of crushing the European economy and delivering the starving, ruined remains of Western Europe into the Russian sphere of influence (this won't actually happen but US fash dream of it now, they really, really hate Europe)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Steadiman posted:

Monkey populi, monkey die

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Aramis posted:

There's also the issue that the electronics still take an appreciable amount of space. In the current iteration, they are using the space that used to be occupied by the cranium bone for this (literally replacing a chunk of your skull with the electronics). But then you have to get the electrodes through the durum, or put the durum back around the tiny wires. And they just aren't able to do either yet.

But really, what was mind-bogingly bad from the presentation last night is the way they are still dealing with the keyboard. The demo was still just extracting mouse motions from the signals and throwing it at a shallow neural net trained on MNIST, or some other standard dataset, I didn't get it clearly. This is just never going to cut it as any real form of next-gen BCI.

They really need to be demonstrating signal discrimination on the order of 100s of dimensions before this can be of any real use beyond restoring a modicum of agency for severely disabled people. They are still stuck at 2.

Also your body is designed to attack anything foreign. Break it down. Or if it can’t, encapsulate it in calcium.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

In Musks case that would include perspective, empathy and self awareness

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
wow the EU actually has remaining shreds of protection for workers whodathunkit

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
These people have issues beyond just a poor financial sense.
https://twitter.com/barkmeta/status/1598337916673089540?t=epYTVAWR8wza12a7crLUGQ&s=19

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/lisang/status/1598350907434991616

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

It’s an open town square.

Until you insult the guy who owns the town.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you think he's banning people personally or letting a staffer make the decisions?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Man, being an American is like being a livestock animal compared to being a European. tons of poo poo you can get away with doing to an American You can't dream of doing to a European.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I mean, it's hate speech to make fun of Elon. Eliana is a protected class

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ll echo what dr lol lmao said upthread - any fuckery with bones is inviting bacteria and all sorts of other wonders just waiting to get to the yummy human insides. Also, the human body really dislikes having foreign poo poo shoved into the bloodstream and will fight tooth and nail to remove it. Implants, pacers, screws - there’s five rejection and infection stories for every 10 of them. The future where everyone implants poo poo willy nilly up their rear end doesn’t exist.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

goatface posted:

Do you think he's banning people personally or letting a staffer make the decisions?

Not even a staffer: it’s Ian Miles Chong

https://theintercept.com/2022/11/29/elon-musk-twitter-andy-ngo-antifascist/

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Mokotow posted:

I’ll echo what dr lol lmao said upthread - any fuckery with bones is inviting bacteria and all sorts of other wonders just waiting to get to the yummy human insides. Also, the human body really dislikes having foreign poo poo shoved into the bloodstream and will fight tooth and nail to remove it. Implants, pacers, screws - there’s five rejection and infection stories for every 10 of them. The future where everyone implants poo poo willy nilly up their rear end doesn’t exist.

We're gonna end up with poor attempts at making a cyberpunk future colliding head on with drug resistant bacteria.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goatface posted:

You know it's all him, he's not gonna let someone else make decisions. That might make them think they have agency in Musk's domain.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

goatface posted:

There's been some alt right users making “suggestions”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

i'd guess it's mostly roving bands of musk supporters using scripts to mass-report tweets they dont like (per usual)