Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the only demographic data I trust is the yearly poll for which touhou character is your favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
wanna meet those 50yo moms that watch big robot amine

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

grate deceiver posted:

wanna meet those 50yo moms that watch big robot amine

tagline for the most weirdly-specific dating site ever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reincarnated as a Mecha Pilot But My Mom is The Robot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Get in the robot, Shinji.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arc Hammer posted:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but...

I've never read a manga, but I'm enjoying Chainsaw Man enough that I want to read past the anime (and Demon Slayer too). Is there a how to read manga around here? Do I just start in the back?

Also, was the original Tiger Mask manga ever printed in English / is it available anywhere? I checked Amazon, but that didn't seem to return anything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you mean "should I start from the beginning of the manga or pick up where the anime leaves off", it depends from series to series. With Chainsaw Man, I've seen people say the anime does an incredible job adapting it, though it misses some little things that you might appreciate, but rereading from the start isn't entirely necessary.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sorry I'm a little confused - do you literally mean how to read manga? If so yeah, these days the right-left order is preserved in translation, so the front cover is the right cover and the back cover is the left, and panels are read right -> left, top -> bottom. many physical copies will painfully explain this on the inside covers (hey you are reading the wrong way!!!!!) or at least used to.

If you mean how to read Chainsaw Man, as in where, you can sub to the viz shonen jump app for like 2 USD a month and you get access to the whole backlog (same deal with Demon Slayer). We're currently at chapter 24 in the show I think if you want to start there, though personally I'd start from the beginning because 20 chapters is nothing and CSM rules.

No idea about Tiger Mask sorry.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but...

I've never read a manga, but I'm enjoying Chainsaw Man enough that I want to read past the anime (and Demon Slayer too). Is there a how to read manga around here? Do I just start in the back?

Also, was the original Tiger Mask manga ever printed in English / is it available anywhere? I checked Amazon, but that didn't seem to return anything.

Spine on the right to start

Panel order:

Read the page on the right and then the page on the left (and then turn the page, repeat). Double-page spreads read the same way.

Takes about half an hour to get used to.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gotcha, thanks everyone! Yeah, wasn't sure how to physically read the book, heh. I'll probably grab a few and give it a go!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lol this exact image was what I was thinking of, thank you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Gotcha, thanks everyone! Yeah, wasn't sure how to physically read the book, heh. I'll probably grab a few and give it a go!
Oh my bad, I misunderstood what you were asking.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my bad, I misunderstood what you were asking.

All good, could have worded it more clearly.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Memories of buying yugioh volume 1 from scholastic book fair and 1, being baffled by the backwards book and 2, stoked at the violence...

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Also, words/phrases spread out between multiple bubbles still reads bubble order R-L but word order L-R

e.g., three bubbles in a single panel read:

(SLUT) (-DA) (SEXY POSTER PRA-)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, words/phrases spread out between multiple bubbles still reads bubble order R-L but word order L-R

e.g., three bubbles in a single panel read:

(SLUT) (-DA) (SEXY POSTER PRA-)

My favorite part is that when Japanese is printed horizontally (which is actually pretty common, although not in manga for some reason), it's read left to right.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So I'm reupping Netflix to finish Stone Ocean have they gotten anything else good between the first part of Stone Ocean and now? Or is it just Edgerunners?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

So I'm reupping Netflix to finish Stone Ocean have they gotten anything else good between the first part of Stone Ocean and now? Or is it just Edgerunners?

Spriggan is good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think tiger and bunny season 2 was good? Idk I didn't watch it. Also they should still be uploading isekai ojisan which has been pretty entertaining.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kakegurui Twin is good. Bastard was getting weird for me personally but ppl who stuck it thru vouch for it.

There was also a Tekken show and that Drifting Home movie

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
They lost Madoka and I hate them for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They've got the first season of Vinland Saga on there.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Devilman Crybaby

e: wait this poo poo is like 4 years old

still owns

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What is happening with uncle anyways is it only seven eps long?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the studio got covid so they had to go on hiatus until everyone recovered, they're resuming releases now

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is there a show with gorgeous scenery and a sense of exploration and adventure in otherworldly environments like Made in Abyss that isn't Made in Abyss? I want to scratch that itch again and tried the first episode of the new season, and Jesus loving Christ.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

does Girls Last Tour count or does it have to be fantasy?

unfortunately like 99% of fantasy anime isn't really interested in the scale or geography of the world in the way MiA is so there's not much that feels similar in that way. that's a big part of how it got so big despite the really lurid content.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 5, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there a show with gorgeous scenery and a sense of exploration and adventure in otherworldly environments like Made in Abyss that isn't Made in Abyss? I want to scratch that itch again and tried the first episode of the new season, and Jesus loving Christ.

it doesn't have the massive scale but grimgar is one of the prettiest fantasy anime shows ever made imo. absolutely beautiful watercolor backgrounds. the characters are basically generic archetypes which may or may not piss you off, though. it's on purpose though, part of how it's a big love letter to classic d&d. it does in general have this pretty melancholy plot about loss, which is cool and pretty unique in the dreaded Isekai genre

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also some people absolutely hate the BLAME! anime Netflix did and I can understand why but it's very cool looking for similar reasons as made in abyss. it's scifi tho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's not a show, but you might like reading Kabu no Isaki. It really has a sense of scale, at minimum.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just want something that's like exploring in a Myst game. The Abyss is basically D'ni and all the ages you visit combined so MiA would have been perfect. I was able to hold my nose for the first season and the movie, but apparently it was necessary to have season 2 open with a rape scene and showing Riko taking a dump was so important that they had to dedicate the end of the episode to it. If it just keeps going like that I dunno man. I dunno.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

definitely try Girls Last Tour if you haven't seen it yet then, it's post-apoc rather than fantasy but there's lots of cool and varied scenery and it has the scale

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I really think you'd like reading Kabu no Isaki. It's set in a world at 10 times scale where a young man named Isaki just got a plane for delivering packages.

It's by the same creator as Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō, which got a few OVAs that also might be your speed. It's the most mellow post-apocalypse you'll find.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chiasaur11 posted:

It's by the same creator as Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō, which got a few OVAs that also might be your speed.

Not nearly enough

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Thanks everyone, gonna check those out sometime this week. Probably gonna start with Girls Last Tour.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

What the gently caress the ykk author did another series poo poo yeah

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Come to think of it Myst is also post-apocalypse, it's just the post-apocalypse of some other civilization that you stumbled across when you found Atrus' book.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

What the gently caress the ykk author did another series poo poo yeah

A few others, although Kabu no Isaki is the longest of them.

I actually found out about it when Tatsuki Fujimoto recommended it with his author comments in Jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
From what I can tell, Ashinano (YKK author) kinda disappeared after Kotonoba Drive

his lone tweet