Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hear they just recently made great strides with Ruujinx on M1 Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I wish the Deck ran all switch games well and I’d being willing to pay for them normally so that I could rid myself of my switch. That thing runs like such dog poo poo, I hate the face buttons, and it’s ergonomic trash compared to the Deck or my Dual Sense.

In other news, I got Tiny Rogues and it is a delight. It is a bite sized game though so absolutely don’t spend more than a fiver on it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Me when I play Um Jammer Lammy on my Steam Deck. :3:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hear they just recently made great strides with Ruujinx on M1 Macs.

Yeah it’s crazy how well it works even on the base M1 chip, but they have the advantage of the Switch and modern Macs being ARM systems so for a lot of games they aren’t even having to translate code. The performance is bad in games where that doesn’t work like Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8, and Monster Hunter Rise apparently doesn’t boot at all but it’s drat impressive. Its also nice that the latest version of MacOS built in native support for the Joycons so you have full native controller support. I would actually consider the Mac Mini as a prime TV emulator box when the M3 comes out, the only thing the Mac really lacks emulator wise right now is Wii U as far as I’m aware.
https://youtu.be/32e5nbYyo_U

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh lord, don’t say M3 yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh lord, don’t say M3 yet.

Well we know it’s coming and the rumors are it should be a pretty big leap in power.

I can’t imagine it’s going to come that soon though as we still haven’t seen the M2 max chips or the 14 and 16 M2s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

iPad developers have barely been able to tap into the M1. It’s massive overkill as it is. Watching ETA Prime’s (or Retro Game Corps?) videos on emulation on the M1 and M2 iPads is nuts. Pretty much perfect 4K GameCube/Wii emulation on an iPad M2 Pro.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I use an apple silicon laptop for work and it’s absurd how powerful it is, while having crazy battery life.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I pulled the trigger on the 512GB deck thanks to a holiday bonus from work.

I'm excited! I hope it gets here soon :3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

iPad developers have barely been able to tap into the M1. It’s massive overkill as it is.

Every iPad CPU ever has been massive overkill.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Every iPad CPU ever has been massive overkill.

Well not the iPad 3

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Well not the iPad 3

lol fair

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Annath posted:

I am excited for you, because it rules

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Annath posted:

This is the one I got on Monday and I was not prepared for just how much I love it :D The screen in particular being matte is a really nice change from the usual kind of screens :)

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Annath posted:

What an amazing way to spend a work bonus, you are seriously going to love it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm working my way through the Monkey Island games on Deck at the moment :D

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there a way to make the trackpad work in games without having to hold the steam button?

Also I got City Skylines and I thought it had a controller layout since it has been ported to consoles but I can't figure out how to enable or use it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is there a way to make the trackpad work in games without having to hold the steam button?

How do you mean? As a mouse?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That likely means the trackpad isn't bound to mouse in-game, so you'd have to go to the Steam overlay and then Controller Settings to edit your controller layout, then map the right trackpad (or left trackpad you psycho) to "Mouse" for that controller layout. I'm not sure if there's a way to blanket add a mapping to the "default" controls (maybe editing the templates, but a lot of games have their own default controls rather than using the template), so you'd pretty much have to do this per-game.

Steam button+trackpad is like a..."emergency override" way of doing it. Same as Steam+X brings up the keyboard.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 1, 2022

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Man this thing is adorable, I'd buy a plushie version if they ever offered one.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone have any experience with Elite: Dangerous on the Deck?

I've only played it on PC with a HOTAS, but I'm curious how it controls and runs on the Deck.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

how come GOG divinity osii doesnt have .net it needs? easy fix idea?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mescal posted:

how come GOG divinity osii doesnt have .net it needs? easy fix idea?
I think protontricks can do it, what .net does it need?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s what protontricks is for

Check the dependencies on steamdb if you don’t know which ones it needs

kapi
Jul 21, 2003
That's the second largest monkey head I've ever seen

Annath posted:

I've only played it on PC with a HOTAS, but I'm curious how it controls and runs on the Deck.
I just got a Deck last week and have played Elite on it for about 30 minutes or so after this week's update. I'm mainly exploring out in the black and haven't tried any kind of combat, but it works ok so far. My main complaint is that it's hard to read the small text when you're about to jump to a new system.

It's using the default gamepad configuration that requires combo button presses to access a lot of functionality. There are custom controller configs available that use the track pads but I haven't played around with them yet. I might just stick with my PC setup for now since I also have a HOTAS setup and like that a lot more.

I'd play more but I also bought Vampire Survivors and holy poo poo the people who said that game makes time vanish weren't joking.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Annath posted:

I played 100 hours on it. Runs like a dream. Battery life is better than expected. The default config is fine, I mapped some things (FSR, full throttle stop, etc) to the back buttons.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm working my way through the Monkey Island games on Deck at the moment :D

Which version if secret you playing

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Annath posted:

As far as controls, ED is also on console and the controls are setup fairly well. As far as performance on the Deck, no idea.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s what protontricks is for

Check the dependencies on steamdb if you don’t know which ones it needs

where exactly does it show that?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mescal posted:

where exactly does it show that?

Phone posting so it’s huge and poorly formatted but click on depots

And it’ll list all the ones steam includes for that game on windows, so you just add those through protontricks

Not all of them are things you need, it’ll include poo poo that isn’t related like language packs and stuff so you don’t actually need to install 38 extra things

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

thx. haven't changed anything yet, but i tried launching one of the .exes in the game folder and it worked in desktop mode. but it turned my screen upside-down, and didn't change back after i exited the game!

edit: "supporttool.exe" is the one that works. steam won't seem to add it as a non-steam game to library. and the other one that i think is the exe that's the "real" game doesn't launch. and also doesn't add to steam as a non-steam game. so i cant test whether it would launch upside-down in gaming mode. heroic doesn't launch it; it asks for a .NET i click yes and then it doesn't do anything. steamdb lists 5 different .NETs it needs, which i'd rather not install redundantly if unnecessary

Mescal fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 1, 2022

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Squiggle posted:

The box was not subtle at all when I got mine under two months ago. It doesn't have a picture on it, but it's covered in tech/battery warnings.

Same with mine two months ago; no pictures on it, BUT the shipping label on it just straight up says "128 GB STEAM DECK US, SKU# blah blah" on it. at this point, if porch thieves were out looking for it, they'd probably know just by the box shape and size now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not too bad:
  • /home/deck is your "home directory" which is where everything gets installed for the Deck's "user" account on the internal SSD.
  • /run/media/mmcblk0p1 is the SD card.
  • /var/lib/flatpak is where flatpaks are installed if you install flatpaks as "system".
Everything else is part of the Steam OS image and you can ignore. You also rarely need to go into /var/lib/flatpak--the only time I've done is when I'm digging up an icon for a flatpak app that I'm trying to setup in Steam as a non-Steam game. And this assumes you're installing them as system flatpaks instead of user.

For some reason, I've found that the emulators and things like anydesk can't actually see the run/media/mmcblk0p1 or whatever file path.

I dunno how to fix it or even if it can be fixed.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

sigher posted:

Maybe the Nreal Airs would help in this regard.

It will with some sacrifices unfortunately for those of us with bad eyesight. Be warned that the image, despite being RIGHT in front of your eyes, will be blurred or fuzzy slightly depending on your exact vision problems and severity (astigmatism is noticeably a problem) so you may need prescription inserts, which could potentially leave the extreme top/bottom of the image doubled where you're looking at them through the top and bottom edge of the rx lenses. They are also heavy, so you trade sore arms and wrists for a sore nose bridge where the nose pads sit.

No regrets on my part with them, and I have gotten over the slight edge imperfections through a LOT of adjustments. Also know that you're not only trading up to a larger screen, but basically an OLED display which comes with all the contrast benefits associated, ability to get really bright, and improved battery life since the deck screen shuts off, along with stereo speakers right at your ears.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 1, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kin posted:

For some reason, I've found that the emulators and things like anydesk can't actually see the run/media/mmcblk0p1 or whatever file path.

I dunno how to fix it or even if it can be fixed.
Those are flatpaks which have their own phone app-like permission system on top of the normal linux poo poo, if they don't ask for /run/media/ (and barely anything is going to for a few reasons) then they can't see it. The fix is to install flatseal from the Discover store and edit the permissions for those apps so they can access it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just install emudeck from the website installer instead of the discover store and save yourself an entire lifetime of dicking around

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just install emudeck from the website installer instead of the discover store and save yourself an entire lifetime of dicking around

That's where my emulators came from but in some cases (switch related) I need to go into the emulator and try to manually find the ROM.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Is there any functional difference between the cheapest model + a whopper of an SD card and an anti glare screen protector & the most expensive model, other than a few seconds of loading time?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Is there any functional difference between the cheapest model + a whopper of an SD card and an anti glare screen protector & the most expensive model, other than a few seconds of loading time?

No, the drive is the only significant difference between models. They all have the same hardware inside otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Laying in bed playing Kena: Bridge of Spirits which looks and runs beautifully on the Deck. Don't really have anything else to say other than drat I love this thing.