Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Are.... are they including the ad patch on uniforms fans buy? That's insane

I asked that too but don't quite remember the answer. I want to say that the stupid-expensive authentic ones will, but the cheaper ones made specifically to wear will not. sure hope that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thanks for giving the link to the MLB rosters in SMB3, I like the cute fake teams but baseball hits different when I can play as a cartoonishly jug eared Kyle Hendricks striking out a bug eyed, insane looking yadier molina.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GalacticAcid posted:

Ads are ugly and annoying. “Hurr durr soccer does it” yea soccer is also two continuous 45-50 minute blocks of play while baseball has a million built-in stoppages ripe for commercial breaks. I can grudgingly see the case for making soccer players into bipedal billboards, I cannot for baseball.

“MLB‘s always had tons of ads get over it” okay but they didn’t have ads on uniforms, which is the present subject.

“There are bigger problems in the world” true and I’m not going to fix those either. However I can and will still complain.

Soccer's also ran (I guess?) by the most corrupt international organization on the planet. Don't be like soccer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's neck and neck with the IOC but I bet if you let petrostate sheiks bid on MLB things you could say hello to the Dubai Eagles and their $650m payroll.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Poque posted:

I asked that too but don't quite remember the answer. I want to say that the stupid-expensive authentic ones will, but the cheaper ones made specifically to wear will not. sure hope that's the case.

From what I can tell, the NBA jerseys don't include the ad patch. Just as a point of reference.

https://store.nba.com/jerseys-sale-items/d-2338178550+os-12+z-94618-386977746

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

MLB Offseason: We'll miss you Gaylord.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'll always remember Gaylord as being a giant hot take machine post retirement. RIP.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Is a 2022 or 2017 World Series Champion patch on a jersey/hat/shirt whatever considered an advertisement? Asking for fans of the current world series champion Houston Astros.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/1598358994891915264

"He's 35 years old" he looks like Eddie Harris from Major League

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sab0921 posted:

Is a 2022 or 2017 World Series Champion patch on a jersey/hat/shirt whatever considered an advertisement? Asking for fans of the current world series champion Houston Astros.

This really has just become an astros fan shitpost thread. Sad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sab0921 posted:

gently caress off, dude. The only thing sadder than your troll bit is sticking up for advertising.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Has there ever been an immaculate inning in the ASG

I believe Jose Valverde had a 10 pitch 3 strikeout inning but not sure if anyone's ever gone all the way. Also i could be misremembering that as well

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Eat poo poo you insufferable dork

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Has there ever been an immaculate inning in the ASG

Nope

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Some parts aged better than others but poo poo like this still makes me laugh out loud every time

Ozzie Guillen's "holy poo poo its a demon" has stuck with me ever since the first time I read it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

zoux posted:

He definitely went back to the dugout after that inning and lit up a cigar

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

70s baseball ruled

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Miss the absolutely insane windups pitchers used to have.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

He pitched 303 complete games?? That's insane for a guy who pitched into the '80s. Like 40% of his starts were complete games :aaa:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

To my surprise there have been more immaculate innings than 4 K (half-)innings.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

deGrom struck out the side on 10 pitches in 2015

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

in a sport full of dumb records that don't matter, immaculate innings are at the top for me.

cmoooon winter meetings!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Tigers gave Matt Boyd, who pitched 13 innings in 2022, 10 million dollars. Starting pitchers are going to get paid this offseason.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

I dont care even a little bit. It's a patch on the sleeve and they already had the nike logo on the jersey.

Lmao these are not even remotely comparable but gj being cool with every square inch of your field of view being ads I guess :confused:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
RIP Gaylord

:(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

RIP to the greatest greaseball thrower in MLB history

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SilvergunSuperman posted:

in a sport full of dumb records that don't matter, immaculate innings are at the top for me.

cmoooon winter meetings!

I remember listening to a random Cubs game, probably in 2016, where in one inning all three outs were 4-3 groundouts to Javy Baez. Pat Hughes commented that he had fielded 3 groundouts in the inning, and added "that ties the big league record!" before going to break.

It took me until midway through the next half inning to figure it out.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:lol: that's pretty funny

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Eddie Harris was based off of Gaylord Perry, yes.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
In very weird and true offseason minutiae news, the Mariners might get 3 first round picks in the upcoming draft.

Their own pick, the Julio ROTY PIP pick, and a Comp A pick.

The only interesting part of this is that since the ROTY incentive thing is so new no one seems to quite know if that's actually what's happening or if MLB made a typo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They give a free 1st round pick for the team who had ROTY? That seems kind of dumb, the player should get some $ instead.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Popete posted:

They give a free 1st round pick for the team who had ROTY? That seems kind of dumb, the player should get some $ instead.

IIRC the additional detail is that the team with the ROTY gets an extra draft pick only if the ROTY was on the roster long enough to get a full service year, so the player benefits by entering arbitration earlier than they would if the team held them back a few weeks to game their service time.

Also, in this case Julio got a huge contract during the season, so he's getting a few bucks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I guess it’s meant to encourage teams to play their rookies instead of hoarding them? If you play the ROTY you get a new prospect to hoard!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1598471212598169600

I'm not sure what is funnier, that being the biggest contract in Rays history or giving the biggest contract in your team's history to Zach Eflin. The Rays really need to be contracted.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1598471212598169600

I'm not sure what is funnier, that being the biggest contract in Rays history or giving the biggest contract in your team's history to Zach Eflin. The Rays really need to be contracted.

Thats a relative lot of money for a dude with dodgy knees

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well it's the Rays so he's about to win the Cy Young

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Highest in total value? Holy poo poo

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Popete posted:

Well it's the Rays so he's about to win the Cy Young

Shelby Miller is winning it for the NL.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Players market? The floor seems to have been raised considerably at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

more falafel please posted:

Highest in total value? Holy poo poo

Highest annual value maybe. Wander Franco signed a ~10/100+ last year. Still pretty sad, though.