Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s compounded by having eight weapon slots, so they theoretically expected you to keep up to date on 24 loving sockets. Too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Agree that the gem poo poo sucked but all the guns didn't, it made it feel like a fan mod, in a way I dug.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

I forget, did they ever fix the weird way shotguns handled in SW2? It felt less like 'here's some pellets, get close to end a man' and more like 'you have a 45 degree blast radius in front of you when you pull the trigger and everyone in the radius eats the same damage.'
Really annoyed the poo poo out of me. Though that one shotgun that used energy ammo was pretty cool.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
anyone play Ashes 2063 and/or Ahses: Afterglow vanilla style without vertical mouse aiming? is it possible? is it worth it? it's my preference and I have plenty more vanilla wads to play if it's not going to work out.

nm i know the answer to this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i liked the weirdly insane roster of weapons in shadow warrior 2. it was weird that they did that and it makes the gem system suck more because the arsenal would stand out much better if you didn't have to wrangle with that poo poo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Is there an easy way to cheat in all the weapons in SW2 without having to manually find and unlock them all, cause that might be enough for me to be willing to give it a proper try again

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PsyClops posted:

I forget, did they ever fix the weird way shotguns handled in SW2? It felt less like 'here's some pellets, get close to end a man' and more like 'you have a 45 degree blast radius in front of you when you pull the trigger and everyone in the radius eats the same damage.'
Really annoyed the poo poo out of me. Though that one shotgun that used energy ammo was pretty cool.

I think that's how shotguns in Payday 2 worked (the "everyone that gets hit takes full damage" part anyway) and it made shotguns feel pretty cool and good

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Voodoo Cafe posted:

So i finally tracked down and played Wolfenstein (2009) and it was surprised how much I enjoyed it! It's a bit short and the boss fights aren't great, but it was considerably better than i expected given its reputation. It makes some weird decisions (all voices in English, default FOV super cramped) but it was very easy to fix up with community patches. I don't know what kind of slapfight Zenimax and Activision got in to result in it being pulled from all the digital storefronts, but it's worthwhile playing if you get the opportunity. Physical copies are getting more expensive but it's not hard to find elsewhere, which i have no qualms about if i can't buy it. Also surprised to see it was running on idTech 4, it looks barely recognizable.

I always thought Wolf09 had a generally good rep, I played it when it was still relatively recent and enjoyed it a great deal. I was shocked and disappointed when I found out that Raven had gone from that to Singularity.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I always thought Wolf09 had a generally good rep, I played it when it was still relatively recent and enjoyed it a great deal. I was shocked and disappointed when I found out that Raven had gone from that to Singularity.
Singularity had a lot of development issues. That it managed to come out in any state, even with a limp, is something of a minor miracle.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I think that's how shotguns in Payday 2 worked (the "everyone that gets hit takes full damage" part anyway) and it made shotguns feel pretty cool and good

I have dabbled in Payday 2 and can confirm this, shotguns own in that game.

One thing that I really liked about SW2 is that a good bet was to equip gems to actually reduce the accuracy of your shotgun, effectively increasing the size of your damage wave.

I think RE4 handles shotguns the same way. Dunno if it's something I'd want in a PVP shooter but otherwise it's neat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The only Payday 2 weapon I remember is the revolver that technically counts as a Shotgun, except you can load explosive slugs into it. The Judge, I think it was called? I used it as a Shield-Guy-B-Gone button.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

The only Payday 2 weapon I remember is the revolver that technically counts as a Shotgun, except you can load explosive slugs into it. The Judge, I think it was called? I used it as a Shield-Guy-B-Gone button.

It counts as one because it's an actual shotgun (as it fires shot shells in the game, not cartridges): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge :v:

I miss Payday 2 before it got overly bloated with a billion DLC, infinite cop dimension murder was fun.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/ScottApogee/status/1598044052565692416

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah Payday 2 shotguns are very unique in that regard and Shadow Warrior 2 shotguns are not anything like that (being good).

As someone who loves looter shooters, SW2 is actually pretty atrocious. A lot of the guns also feel like garbage outside of the lovely gem loot system.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I will brook no bad words towards SW2's lever-action railgun. :colbert:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I will brook no bad words towards SW2's lever-action railgun. :colbert:
Yeah, that was one of the stand-out weapons. I also liked the Blade Runner pistol and double laser katanas.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The quality of filling enemies with lead (or hanzo steel) in SW2 is definitely not that game’s problem. The guns are great, they sound great, the enemy dismemberment is really good, it’s good stuff.

Pretty much everything else is that game’s problem. The guns are kickass. And I think the weird damage wave thing the shotguns do works well for an ARPG kinda game, they feel better than Borderlands shotguns for sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every gun I found in SW2 felt like dogshit compared to the ice shotgun I got early on and this did not help my experience at all.

I dunno how many guns there are in sw2 but I could not have had more than 12-14 by the end

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Finished Blue Shift yesterday. Definitely the weakest of the original series (though I guess more canon than OP4) but not without its virtues. Pretty easy though. Not sure if I died at all and certainly not to anything other than the environment. I've posted this before but I think I actually might like the tram ride in it more? God I love black mesa. Just this super secret skunkworks out in the desert with miles of tunnels and poo poo keeping it hidden (and a pleasant 68 degrees)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I got the Half Life goty on 4CDs back in the day and when I finished the incredible OpFor I couldn’t wait to play Blue Shift. Then I played it and it took about two hours to finish and it was pretty bad.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blue Shift doesn’t have Race X and is therefore the superior expansion pack

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got the Half Life goty on 4CDs back in the day and when I finished the incredible OpFor I couldn’t wait to play Blue Shift. Then I played it and it took about two hours to finish and it was pretty bad.

It'd be a lot better without Xen!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wouldn't say Blue Shift is bad, but it is pretty drat short and a little perfunctory. It'd probably have been better received if it had been released as a free expansion or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah I mean it was just made as an add on for the Dreamcast port. I did a real half life wiki deep dive last night. I have to play Decay!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have to play Decay!

It's.... Ok!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

catlord posted:

I wouldn't say Blue Shift is bad, but it is pretty drat short and a little perfunctory. It'd probably have been better received if it had been released as a free expansion or something.

Yeah I mean all the combat related stuff is solid plus you get to explore more of black mesa. I cannot stress how much I love the setting.

I'm watching an old civvie video on tekwar and there's this game called ion maiden he mentions which looks pretty cool but I can't find poo poo about it. Googling it really wants to bring up iron maiden vids though so maybe not total loss

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm watching an old civvie video on tekwar and there's this game called ion maiden he mentions which looks pretty cool but I can't find poo poo about it. Googling it really wants to bring up iron maiden vids though so maybe not total loss

I think Ion Maiden was an Iron Maiden thing. Like a crossover promotional thing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Ion Maiden was the original title for Ion Fury before it got renamed due to Iron Maiden having lawyers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iron Maiden has all the words about copyright :rolleyes:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Iron Maiden loving sucks

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Ion Maiden was a KISS Psycho Circus-style product for Iron Maiden

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

verbal enema posted:

Iron Maiden loving sucks

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hey now let's not say things we can't take back

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Me, an attorney for Iron Maiden's legal team, filing C&Ds against 6 separate individuals who turn up in a background search with the name "Ian Maiden".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Reminds me of Harlan Ellison suing AOL because he found one of his stories on the internet

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Remember when Iron Maiden refused to license any of their music to Brutal Legend, the ultimate metal album of all time with an RTS attached, because the main character was named Eddie without their permission?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SkeletonHero posted:

Remember when Iron Maiden refused to license any of their music to Brutal Legend, the ultimate metal album of all time with an RTS attached, because the main character was named Eddie without their permission?

lol wtf

Why are metal bands like this

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Convex posted:

Reminds me of Harlan Ellison suing AOL because he found one of his stories on the internet

Holy poo poo, is this for real? :lol:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SkeletonHero posted:

i feel like it's kind of dishonest to frame it that way given that the full context is the character is called eddie riggs, eddie being the name of the iron maiden's mascot and being something designed by derek riggs, an artist who is responsible for like a lot of the band's album art. it was very bluntly a direct reference to iron maiden as a whole. like i'm not going to say it wasn't petty but lol this is a wild way to present it

and even beyond that i have no sympathy for the ion fury devs anyways for obvious reasons, so, whatever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, is this for real? :lol:

yes, though more specifically it was posted on usenet so AOL were hosting it on their servers