Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh poo poo new manual driver and straight into a Miat? What a great start! Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My NB was my first manual car too. I've learned it before and drove some rentals and what not, but my parents' car was automatic and that's what I got to drive regularly at that time, so the test drive and the way home was a bit sketchy. But yeah you adjust very quickly and it owns. Congrats dude!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

reversefungi posted:

Well, I did it, I got myself a white 2019 RF!

Passed the PPI this morning at my local mechanic, only thing wrong was a missing transmission splash guard (which the dealership is ordering), and a bad interior dome light (not sure how I missed that one last night!), but otherwise, she's staying.

Wow, this thing is fun. First manual and first convertible/two door vehicle. Took a manual driving course last Saturday and was still feeling a little uncertain about my manual skills when I picked up the Miata yesterday, but already feeling a ton better today. Took it for a long drive at night and of course somehow got stuck in traffic on a large uphill at 10:30 PM. Well, needless to say, hill starts don't feel quite as scary anymore, so that was huge. Driving it around town just to do things like going to the gym puts such a huge smile on my face, what a cool car :3:

Owns owns owns!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Miata is an excellent car to learn stick with. I taught my youngest sister on my old ND. Congrats!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thank you all! Happy to be a part of the club.

As far as manual goes, the lesson I took last weekend was on some old Accord which had a clutch that doubled as a leg press machine. The Miata is infinitely smoother and easier, very straightforward to find the bite point and I like how the accelerator responds. Been surprised at just how fast I'm adapting to it. If anyone else is thinking of getting a Miata and learning manual at the same time, I would highly recommend it!

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 22, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I learned on a poo poo box rx 7. Gonna buy another Miata soon since I’ve been without a car for like six months

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I learned on a Corvette, but other than that lesson and a couple test drives my first real drive was taking my freshly purchased NB home in Atlanta's infamous rush hour traffic.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Unrelated, but if anyone in the future reading this thread has the same question I did earlier, you can absolutely fit an 88 key fully weighted piano (this is a Roland RD88 for reference) and stand in the passenger side and still have enough clearance to bring the top down:

Took this photo with just the piano, but I was able to get the stand to also fit by putting it underneath the keyboard. Was worried when I couldn't quite get it right when I tried at the dealership, but spent some more time finagling at home and finally found a way to get it to work :woop:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I have this file saved as "Miata_Owners_dot_JPG.png":

Honestly, I get the same smug smile when I fit a chainsaw or two bags of mulch or whatever in the trunk.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

reversefungi posted:

Thank you all! Happy to be a part of the club.

As far as manual goes, the lesson I took last weekend was on some old Accord which had a clutch that doubled as a leg press machine. The Miata is infinitely smoother and easier, very straightforward to find the bite point and I like how the accelerator responds. Been surprised at just how fast I'm adapting to it. If anyone else is thinking of getting a Miata and learning manual at the same time, I would highly recommend it!

Get an alignment as soon as you can (budget/time/whatever) and find your local autocross club

The season in most places isn’t over yet

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've got a tiny pinhole in my NA's convertible top (like literally the size of a grain of rice an inch or two behind the left side latch), I am going to try and tape it up from the inside and then do nothing else about it since it never rains in LA, and the rear window is completely opaque from sun and age now.

Anyone have a suggestion what I should be using to tape it up with?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Phone posted:

Get an alignment as soon as you can (budget/time/whatever) and find your local autocross club

The season in most places isn’t over yet

Uhh so for stock RF suspension and wheels (2021 GT trim), is there a recommended alignment?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
even from left to right is the most important part, including toe

front: as much camber as possible while keeping caster above 5.5 to 6, 0 toe (not 0 steer ahead, 0 toe),
rear: front minus another 0.5 degrees, 1/16" toe in total rear (1/32" per side) or 0 toe

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've got a tiny pinhole in my NA's convertible top (like literally the size of a grain of rice an inch or two behind the left side latch), I am going to try and tape it up from the inside and then do nothing else about it since it never rains in LA, and the rear window is completely opaque from sun and age now.

Anyone have a suggestion what I should be using to tape it up with?

If the hole is really that small, I've had good luck with this, also works for cracks in the window.

https://www.amazon.com/Performix-61Z09-Liquid-Vinyl-Repair/dp/B000PS6N4E/

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I think I'm done with cosmetics, but I installed the Carbon Miata Spyder grill, Hella Supertones, and the "Byson R" ebay lip on Saturday. I'm very pleased with the look of the grill. Also because the PO or dealer had drilled the OE grill for a license plate, which I cannot stand.

If I get pulled over for a front plate I suppose I'll buy a tow-hitch mount or something, but that hasn't been an issue so far.

And then on the way home a piece of landscaping fabric, or something blew into my lane out of nowhere. The door sill panel scuffs wiped off with a microfiber cloth and detailer, but the lip is scratched up now. Perhaps it could be polished up some, but oh well. I bought a cheapo ABS lip for a reason, but it sure is annoying that it took a hit this soon after install.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Pretty happy with how the Koni Sport's settled on the progress springs. This is on the 2nd perch.

Has anyone went from a Club LSD to a Quaife unit? Starting to think that's the last step in this very stupid build.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It seems kind of odd to go from a torsen to a torsen, imo. Car looks pretty great though :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the OS Giken is probably the better move over a Quaife unit

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

BlackMK4 posted:

It seems kind of odd to go from a torsen to a torsen, imo. Car looks pretty great though :)

I think I mixed up my vendors and definitely meant the OS Giken unit that Phone was mentioning. With that being said -- has anyone made the jump?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I haven't done it in a Miata, but I went from the stock torsen to an OSGiken set up by Jon Lugod in my S2000. There was a pretty big difference in corner entry (less push), the car put power down better on exit, and I no longer had the issue of the diff unloading if I lifted a wheel on power.

I also have one in my K BRZ, but I don't have a back-to-back impression of it like I did with the S2000.

In terms of a street car, I don't think you're going to notice anything other than that it won't have that feeling that some torsens do on like 90* corners where you get kind of a skip-hop feeling from the rear. Both of mine have been dead silent, unlike some other clutch type diffs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's something more suited for the track in order to find another 0.5 - 1 second after everything else is dialed in; it's one of the last OTS solutions to be had before diving into stuff like running a dogbox or something

considering that your car is an RF and you're using Konis, i wouldn't recommend going down that path. an extra set of wheels + tires or putting the money towards nicer shocks would be my advise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The louvers are by far the best mod.

Easily worth 1-1.5 seconds.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

nerdrum posted:

Pretty happy with how the Koni Sport's settled on the progress springs. This is on the 2nd perch.

Has anyone went from a Club LSD to a Quaife unit? Starting to think that's the last step in this very stupid build.

Thanks for responding to my DM about the louvers. There was a thread in miata.net (that I think you posted in) with another guy describing the same install and longevity issues with the louvers. I really wanted a set but with the price going up to near $600 and them not being super sturdy or having a better mounting mechanism I decided to back out.

I do feel like there should be a way to 3d print or otherwise fabricate some kind of bracket to mount a more sturdy louver to, but I'm not a mechanical engineer or familiar with fabricating or modeling stuff.

Anyway all that to say, awesome car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

Thanks for responding to my DM about the louvers. There was a thread in miata.net (that I think you posted in) with another guy describing the same install and longevity issues with the louvers. I really wanted a set but with the price going up to near $600 and them not being super sturdy or having a better mounting mechanism I decided to back out.

I do feel like there should be a way to 3d print or otherwise fabricate some kind of bracket to mount a more sturdy louver to, but I'm not a mechanical engineer or familiar with fabricating or modeling stuff.

Anyway all that to say, awesome car.
Oh that sucks. Time for DIY carbon-fiber louvers?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh that sucks. Time for DIY carbon-fiber louvers?

There's a guy selling carbon trim pieces for the RF-- for the fake rear quarter "windows" and the "hoop" part of the buttresses.

http://www.dfwcomposites.com/

The complaints for the louvers, and nerdrum could probably elaborate on it more, was that they were made of very thin aluminum and the top slat would flap in the wind with the top down. The fasteners were also prone to rusting, and because they thread into the plastic buttress, they would strip or back out over time. It also looked like it would be difficult to get the holes drilled symmetrically on either side of the car.

So, assuming CF is more rigid for the same thickness, I think it would be possible to epoxy in some threaded inserts into the buttress, and then bolt a bracket into those inserts that the slat would fasten to. There needs to be some way to locate the bracket uniformly on either side of the car-- I'm not sure what you would go off of, but assuming you could find some landmarks to use, then you would guarantee that all of the slats are parallel.

Anyway, it sounds like a lot of work, and I'm just an idea guy. ;)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It's cold again here and man I forgot how noisy the seats are in this thing when they cold. Like sitting in a bowl of rice crispies lol

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I have a hood lift strut from a Jeep that I was planning on using for something else, but does anyone know if the hood on an NB is prone to folding in half or twisting if lifted from a single point not far from the hinge?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

It's cold again here and man I forgot how noisy the seats are in this thing when they cold. Like sitting in a bowl of rice crispies lol

Mines in a garage next to an s2k. Won't come back out until the snow and salt monsters go away.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 23, 2022

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Mines in a garage next to an s2k. Won't come back out until the snow and salt monsters go away.

My daily driver had a major mechanical breakdown right before the NC got delivered so I sold it to a coworker and now I daily drive NC rain or shine because car prices have gotten wild

E: also they don't salt the roads around here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Been hunting and a 2021 showed up at what looks to be a nice price? Might go take a look this weekend/next week.

https://www.urbanmotors.com/VehDetail.aspx?Veh=2021_Mazda_MX-5_Miata_RF&stk1=70258&dlr1=1445&wsid=269&mk=Mazda

Given that i'll just be giving a bank check (no financey no sir) is there anything special I should be aware of, look at, pay attention to? The last thing I bought at a dealer was a 2012 forester that i ended up hating, so i kinda PTSD blocked the whole experience out.

e: what the heck is that shift knob lol

e2: I guess i'm not 100% clear what i'm giving up with club trim vs a grand touring package here. I think the GT has wireless carplay? (I don't mind plugging in)

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 25, 2022

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Couldn't make out the tire size in the pics but looks like there's also some nice 8"or 9" wide wheels and an exhaust

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wouldn’t buy that car; not for 31k at least. Non-OE wheels and the shift knob are red flags.

Club has an LSD and Bilsteins, the GT can have an LSD and Bilsteins, but the major difference is leather seats.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was kind of worried that somebody changed anything at all on it, gotcha.

Kind of want to hold out (or just shell out) for red, anyways

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The global supply chain is still kinda screwed up, so I know inventory is a mess. The prospect of buying a 1 year old car with 11k miles on it for a -$1-2k discount doesn’t compute for me; never mind the PO’s aesthetic choices as a factor.

I can look at what’s out there this evening to help you out.

e: i didn't realize that the RFs start at 35k new lmao, that might be less of a bad deal than i thought... but that shift knob...

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 25, 2022

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Viper915 posted:

If the hole is really that small, I've had good luck with this, also works for cracks in the window.

https://www.amazon.com/Performix-61Z09-Liquid-Vinyl-Repair/dp/B000PS6N4E/

Very belated but thanks for this. I ordered a tube of it to fix this tiny hole along with some well placed waterproof tape on the underside of the top, and it's done what i needed.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just finally did it and bought a Miata. Very happy with it so far.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 2, 2022

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
:krad:

Congrats! I've only been an owner for a month myself, but it keeps getting better with each drive. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

On a different note, has anyone here purchased a roof controller for the RF? Thinking of asking for this as a Xmas gift from my family: https://mx5things.com/collections/mazda-mx-5-rf/products/roof-controller-for-mazda-mx-5-rf

Any reasons to avoid, or other models that folks recommend over this one? Haven't been able to find anything negative from my brief searching.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't have an RF or experience with that module but I've ordered several things from MX5Things and they've all been very high quality.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

reversefungi posted:

:krad:

Congrats! I've only been an owner for a month myself, but it keeps getting better with each drive. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

On a different note, has anyone here purchased a roof controller for the RF? Thinking of asking for this as a Xmas gift from my family: https://mx5things.com/collections/mazda-mx-5-rf/products/roof-controller-for-mazda-mx-5-rf

Any reasons to avoid, or other models that folks recommend over this one? Haven't been able to find anything negative from my brief searching.

I've been very tempted to order his module as i get kind of annoyed having to hold the roof button.

Source4Leko posted:

Just finally did it and bought a Miata. Very happy with it so far.

Congrats, fellow black RF owner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ohhh man you guys are tempting me. I'm trying to wait for 2024