Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jewmanji posted:

I mean what do you guys want from a new Indy movie?

no indy, instead lesbians in hats finding treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

More Mutt.

Funny enough, Shai is probably in better shape to play a gruff Indy type character now.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Dogshit title.

Bugblatter posted:

More Mutt.

Funny enough, Shai is probably in better shape to play a gruff Indy type character now.

He's a really good actor and was a highlight of the fourth movie (except for the CGI tree swinging scene). Too bad he's loving garbage.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just recast Mutt.

I hear Chris Pratt likes working

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

I want you to take is serious, lean away from the metaphysical and make it more about archaeology and art history with a solid, tight script and maybe subtext about how hard it is to chase precious artifacts at his age and have Henry Jones Jr trying to move into the Marcus phase of life in the museum but he gets pulled back in not by Nazis but geopolitics and a protege. Don't have him chase a Stargate or whatever bullshit, have him follow an explorer's ship to hidden treasure and fight other treasure hunters and OH MY GOD I'M DESCRIBING UNCHARTED

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

I want you to take is serious, lean away from the metaphysical and make it more about archaeology and art history with a solid, tight script and maybe subtext about how hard it is to chase precious artifacts at his age and have Henry Jones Jr trying to move into the Marcus phase of life in the museum but he gets pulled back in not by Nazis but geopolitics and a protege. Don't have him chase a Stargate or whatever bullshit, have him follow an explorer's ship to hidden treasure and fight other treasure hunters and OH MY GOD I'M DESCRIBING UNCHARTED

lmao

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

The ouroboros is complete.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Great song at least (I always felt like that whole album got overlooked in the 90s)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Big drat ants!

If the ants had been big that movie would have been at least twice as good.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I guess the one thing I’d really want from a new Indy (or spiritual successor) is a sense of dusty physicality. The setting needs to feel tangible and worn.

It’s as much about photography style and good reference as anything else. Dune has that feel, but this and the previous Jones film missed it. Uncharted was way off.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
^thats a very good way of putting it. It needs to be *tactile*.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

kiimo posted:

Are you telling me they're raiders of the lost art

Nice....

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Where's Mutt??

Where the gently caress is Short Round?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I think he is confirmed to be in the movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Zero times has a poo poo shot from a trailer looked great in a movie. It might be passable in the movie, but not once has it improved vastly enough to make a difference.

The go-to example for when it has is usually Pirates of the Caribbean, which had some really rough CG skeleton effects in the trailer that looked fantastic in the movie, IIRC.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 2, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The first Avatar also had a bunch of egregious errors in its first trailers, including a lot of clipping errors with arms and weapons going through geometry. Prometheus also had some weird compositing mistakes in one of its long-form trailers. All got cleaned up before the final release. It happens fairly often.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I love Indiana Jones and I am hype about it

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gatts posted:

I love Indiana Jones and I am hype about it

Yeah man. I mean, now we get to have five of these films to enjoy and debate over which was better than which. I’m happy about it. I think it’s cool that they were able to do one more. I’m hoping it will be a fun time and have no problem saying I’m looking forward to it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

I don't really want a new Indy movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Getting Mads as an Indiana Jones villain was a positive step but about the only pro I can see here.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Getting Mads as an Indiana Jones villain was a positive step but about the only pro I can see here.

Boyd Holbrook is pretty great, too. Loved him in both Logan and Sandman.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

He has good screen presence with his dreidel-rear end lookin head and I like him in everything he's done. Mads is excellent but I kind of know what I'm going to get. Not that Boyd has range in what he's done, I'm looking forward to him in an anti-hero role

I'm assuming he's the new Indy replacement?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Alhazred posted:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

forest spirit posted:

He has good screen presence with his dreidel-rear end lookin head and I like him in everything he's done. Mads is excellent but I kind of know what I'm going to get. Not that Boyd has range in what he's done, I'm looking forward to him in an anti-hero role

I'm assuming he's the new Indy replacement?

Pretty sure he's the main henchmen. But I can't say that for sure. Just an assumption from his look in the trailer/screenshots and, you know, who he usually plays.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I like that they've ripped off the whip scene from Heaven's Gate and probably didn't make Ford do a hundred takes like Kristofferson had to.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

thrawn527 posted:

Boyd Holbrook is pretty great, too. Loved him in both Logan and Sandman.

Seeing those two titles together made me think for a second there was some kind of Logan's Run reboot that I missed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

forest spirit posted:

The same with the Cocaine Bear trailer, it has a weird momentum.

Funny, I thought Cocsine Bear had the best trailer I've seen in a while. Knows what it is, quick, irreverent, bloody (with an onscreen kill!).

No sonorous monologs about fighting darkness, no slow downed 90s song (can't wait for morose Scatman myself). It makes me wanna see it and I already have friends texting me to say they feel the same.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I was having this convo with some coworkers yesterday. I just don't think I can care about a new Indie movie. It was great for its time and great for my childhood. I loved it. And, CG crap aside, this does look like more of the same... it's just that I've moved on from that. Not trying to be hoity toity. I just meant what I said. I don't think I can really care anymore.

Which is fine, if the universe centered around me then the answer is "don't make any more - that time has passed." But obvi it doesn't so if people like it, then go hog wild and have a good time!

I like watching the old ones because they are good films that mark important moments in my growth. But as a *new* experience... it just feels blank.

And what makes the likening to Maverick even more perplexing is that Top Gun 2 kept up with its audience and actually tried to do a twist on its formula based on what audiences like NOW.

Less toxic masculinity poo poo, some meaningful mining of age and death, Cruise slotting in a mentor role as he oversees a crew of diverse and vibrant youngish, an ending that had you guessing who was going to live and die, practically insane stints in an age of digital mediocrity...

Who the gently caress is Indiana Jones even for anymore

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My problem with the cocaine bear trailer was that it seemed to tell you exactly what it is, and I'm not sure you're really getting 2 hours out of it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

And what makes the likening to Maverick even more perplexing is that Top Gun 2 kept up with its audience and actually tried to do a twist on its formula based on what audiences like NOW.

Less toxic masculinity poo poo, some meaningful mining of age and death, Cruise slotting in a mentor role as he oversees a crew of diverse and vibrant youngish, an ending that had you guessing who was going to live and die, practically insane stints in an age of digital mediocrity...

Who the gently caress is Indiana Jones even for anymore

...me?

More serious answer, Indiana Jones was always a send up of the old serial adventure stories Lucas and Spielberg watched as kids. It was nostalgia bait from the start. The two of them trying to relive the movies they saw when they were children. The fact that the series has become nostalgia bait for the series itself kind of make sense, in a weird way? A new director is making a movie to relive the old Indy movies he saw when he was young. He just gets to use the same actor/character for one last go.

And Mangold said that he's going to use Indy beyond too old for this kind of stuff as the main plot, after turning down a couple scripts that just used his age to make a few jokes. So I'm curious to see where they go with that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the main thing that maverick does that makes it work is just using a type of level that is in every ace combat game and just making a whole movie out of it. indy could also learn some lessons from ace combat.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I just watched Maverick about an hour ago in a screening room at work. It was my second viewing. I still cried and it was even a tighter script on second viewing. The shots are gorgeous, probably because that insane motherfucker was up there for real.

Shageletic posted:

Funny, I thought Cocsine Bear had the best trailer I've seen in a while. Knows what it is, quick, irreverent, bloody (with an onscreen kill!).

No sonorous monologs about fighting darkness, no slow downed 90s song (can't wait for morose Scatman myself). It makes me wanna see it and I already have friends texting me to say they feel the same.

Read this as Cosine Bear and that is not nearly as fun a movie.

edit: also because of Puss in Boots' reviews and the discussions on here I watched Shrek The Third last night.

it was absolute garbage.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 2, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

...me?

More serious answer, Indiana Jones was always a send up of the old serial adventure stories Lucas and Spielberg watched as kids. It was nostalgia bait from the start. The two of them trying to relive the movies they saw when they were children. The fact that the series has become nostalgia bait for the series itself kind of make sense, in a weird way? A new director is making a movie to relive the old Indy movies he saw when he was young. He just gets to use the same actor/character for one last go.

And Mangold said that he's going to use Indy beyond too old for this kind of stuff as the main plot, after turning down a couple scripts that just used his age to make a few jokes. So I'm curious to see where they go with that.

I realized I hosed up when I looked at this page lol.

But at a certain point for most ppl it feels like this breaks down. A memory of a memory of a memory, the thread and wool of what actually excited you as a kid being a little more worn out as it distances itself from the original inspiration and genre.

I feel Indiana Jones, and other blockbuster movies trying to chase the same high their creators had when watching them as kids by recreating them exactly (coughForceAwakenscough) is intensely creatively uninteresting.

And I think they have a limited utility as well. I just don't how successful a model that can be

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/scribblesscript/status/1598532188131430400?t=UmQvkvbSI5yCqzj_QepX8Q&s=19

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just bring back the Young Indiane Jones chronicles. I liked them as a kid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

Read this as Cosine Bear and that is not nearly as fun a movie.

I'm sure they'll find an angle.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Alhazred posted:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Really should just pass the torch to ke huy quan and center the franchise on a grown up short round and spare the world of this practice of cgi elder abuse.

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 3, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

G-III posted:

Really should just pass the torch to ke huy quan and center the franchise on a grown up short round and spare the world of this practice of cgi elder abuse.

My interest would've shot up 1000 percent if this had happened. I didn't even like Everything Everywhere All At Once either, lmao.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just bring back the Young Indiane Jones chronicles. I liked them as a kid.

All those assholes are to blame for the Phantom Menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

My interest would've shot up 1000 percent if this had happened. I didn't even like Everything Everywhere All At Once either, lmao.

….you monster! :doom: