Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Madkal posted:

Know how people hate it when some equate anti-Semitism with anti-Zionism? Well saying the Holocaust happened and that Hitler was a bad person isn't doing this. In fact denouncing anti-Semitism is seen as a good thing and doesn't mean you support Israel. Equating the two is just some more anti-semitic bullshit.

I'll take a break from low effort posting to clarify that I myself don't think Biden's tweet was actually veiled support for Israel, particularly because there's no reason to hide it while America is a staunch and steadfast supporter of Israel and all its crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

-Blackadder- posted:

Or potentially an even better result, if the strike caused such damaging ripple effects in the economy; not just economic, but people suffering from lack of essentials (endanger water supplies, important chemicals, etc) might people then recognize the need for that particular job to be nationalized to protect nationalist interests? In other words an argument for localized accelerationism. Would a strike have been likely to impose enough pain on the larger national population that it leads to the railroads being nationalized?

Probably not. It would have led to the population demanding that the railroads resume operating as soon as possible by any means necessary. Large areas of the country would have immediately encountered shortages of fuel, food, and a lot of other things. It would not be a good environment in which to sit everyone down and explain that we need to update railroad regulations before any more can be delivered

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

See ya Iowa :wave:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1598797986288369664?s=46&t=pm82nKpLa4lSCSiKnTaN4w

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

This seems to be the prevailing line of thought.

So assuming Congress doesn't act, most suggest this most likely leads to a strike.

Disregarding for the moment other concerns a potential strike might lead to, would it have been likely to result in the railworkers getting their sick days?

Or potentially an even better result, if the strike caused such damaging ripple effects in the economy; not just economic, but people suffering from lack of essentials (endanger water supplies, important chemicals, etc) might people then recognize the need for that particular job to be nationalized to protect nationalist interests? In other words an argument for localized accelerationism. Would a strike have been likely to impose enough pain on the larger national population that it leads to the railroads being nationalized?

A strike is not accelerationism.

Nobody knows the likelihood of any outcome with any real confidence. Trying to analyze this in terms of utility is going to be fruitless. But what is happening is that Congress is deliberately preventing the workers from exercising their rights in the way they see fit. Even if there was a 0.00001% chance of the strike being successful, they should not be doing that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

On the other hand, gently caress making a conservative Southern red state the first in the nation.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Oracle posted:

On the other hand, gently caress making a conservative Southern red state the first in the nation.

They are being rewarded for so handily stopping Bernie's momentum.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly seems like a good way to get some of them to vote Dem. People love being first.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
This doesn’t sound good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/laurenboebert/status/1598791858108436490

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Wouldn't this ensure the most conservative Democrat get a bigger boost early?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Meatball posted:

Iowa wasn't exactly a progressive bastion.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Meatball posted:

It would benefit whoever is most popular with black voters. That isn't always the most conservative.

Also, they are reevaluating the first 5 every cycle. So, if Biden runs for re-election, then the schedule this year doesn't really matter.

The 2024 changes they approved:

- Make 5 early states instead of 4.
- SC goes first
- NH and NV go second on the same day
- Georgia goes 3rd
- Michigan goes 4th.

Iowa is banished because the Republicans are keeping it first.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

They are being rewarded for so handily stopping Bernie's momentum.

More like Clyburn is being rewarded for stepping down from leadership (in addition to delivering for Biden in 2020). Man clings to power like a lamprey.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

They should draw the primary states in a lottery

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Oracle posted:

More like Clyburn is being rewarded for stepping down from leadership (in addition to delivering for Biden in 2020). Man clings to power like a lamprey.

I hate to tell you this, he did not step down from leadership. He the fourth ranked democrat in the house.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Iowa wasn't exactly a progressive bastion.

Between 1998 and 2016, Iowa only went for the Republican president twice (2004 and 2016) and had a Democratic senator until 2015.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ethiser posted:

I hate to tell you this, he did not step down from leadership. He the fourth ranked democrat in the house.

Lower than third! (he was the whip).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

-Blackadder- posted:

This seems to be the prevailing line of thought.

So assuming Congress doesn't act, most suggest this most likely leads to a strike.

Disregarding for the moment other concerns a potential strike might lead to, would it have been likely to result in the railworkers getting their sick days?

Using this logic, we should oppose any significant action against injustices in our system, because such actions typically lead to some kind of disruption ("local accelerationism"). Instead, we should just allow society and the environment to get slightly worse, constantly, through actions like these.

I've been seeing this incoherent reasoning a lot ITT lately. Nevermind that the long-term outcomes are immensely worse, the important thing is that we are locally optimizing our own comfort and convenience at all times. Our own, not that of the railroad workers, and not that of the BLM protesters in Minneapolis (in reference to a poster who was complaining about allegedly widespread destruction during the protests, out of I'm sure heartfelt concern that such conduct hurt their own cause).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Oracle posted:

Between 1998 and 2016, Iowa only went for the Republican president twice (2004 and 2016) and had a Democratic senator until 2015.

Do you think South Carolina dems are the ones voting for republicans in the general?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do you think South Carolina dems are the ones voting for republicans in the general?

Do you think a party that can't even carry their own state should be first to decide the candidate for the majority of the country? Its not even a swing state.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The rail companies and reliant industry sectors would begin shutting down the instant such a single bill was on the horizon- in practice the Democrats would bear the brunt of the resulting fallout and would lose the ability to make other changes as a result.

It sounds to me like it is the rail management is a national security threat if that’s what they would do in response to having staff adequately enough to have reasonable sick day policy.

Management is easier to replace than labor is right now.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Oracle posted:

Do you think a party that can't even carry their own state should be first to decide the candidate for the majority of the country? Its not even a swing state.

If they wanted to actually represent a good swath of America and their own party with a focus on southern PoC, Georgia would have been a much better choice.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They voted for the strikebreaking republican in the primary.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Oracle posted:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's really no need to fight here, I'm sure we can come to an arrangement. Like South Carolina can remain an early state but they and similarly historically Republican states can only keep a bit over half their delegates.

We could call it the bit over half compromise and apply it to South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and, well, I'm sure a few other states. Hell, even Georgia should miss out on delegates for consistently electing GOP governors under this system.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

If they wanted to actually represent a good swath of America and their own party with a focus on southern PoC, Georgia would have been a much better choice.

They did move Georgia up and make it an early state too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, South Carolina might end up not going first because Republicans in the state still need to approve moving the state primary and they haven't committed to it yet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Meatball posted:

Caucuses maybe, because you can just pick the candidate and ignore all the messy stuff (until you can't, as we saw with Iowa lol) but I wouldn't put much faith in the Dem parties in blood red states to do any grand strategies. I'd have definitely preferred one the Dems will ever win again in that first spot but my opinion on it is going to be on hold until we hear if they have something hilariously cringey all candidates must submit to on par with eating fried butter at a fair.

With all 3 happening at once I think the takeaway is more that nothing will be as important as Iowa used to be and that's fine by me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That only covers certain employees directly employed as part of a federal contract. You have to be working a job covered under Davis-Bacon or the SCA. That would be basically 0 members of the current unions.

Also, it only specifies that they have to have at least 1 hour of paid leave for every 30 hours they work. The union members already have a lot of PTO. The issue isn't the amount, it's the lack of ability to call out on the day-of with getting points on their record. So, it wouldn't really do anything.

Real question: If they say you have PTO, but you can't actually use it when you need to without being punished, then do you really have PTO?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Epic High Five posted:

With all 3 happening at once I think the takeaway is more that nothing will be as important as Iowa used to be and that's fine by me.

I've not seen that anywhere? Everything I've seen matches LT's:

The 2024 changes they approved:
- Make 5 early states instead of 4.
- SC goes first
- NH and NV go second on the same day
- Georgia goes 3rd
- Michigan goes 4th.

Adding another early state, and having a geographically large trio, is interesting. Iowa and New Hampshire could be done fairly easily without requiring huge organization or expense. The same likely doesn't hold true now, particularly in Michigan and Georgia (and NV, to an extent). That likely thwarts halfassed runs like Pete and Amy ("we tried and got our names out there, and could have spooled up if we did well and money flowed in"), but is also another barrier for anyone succeeding if they don't enter with infrastructure and deep pockets and the primaries already have plenty of those.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They did move Georgia up and make it an early state too.

Yeah this makes sense.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

Adding another early state, and having a geographically large trio, is interesting. Iowa and New Hampshire could be done fairly easily without requiring huge organization or expense. The same likely doesn't hold true now, particularly in Michigan and Georgia (and NV, to an extent). That likely thwarts halfassed runs like Pete and Amy ("we tried and got our names out there, and could have spooled up if we did well and money flowed in"), but is also another barrier for anyone succeeding if they don't enter with infrastructure and deep pockets and the primaries already have plenty of those.

Oh I read that wrong, I thought the 2nd and 3rd took place at the same time on the same day, but later. My bad. I reinstate my belief that it's bad because the first one should be one that they'll ever win and isn't, for example, the most conservative state in the country, but I don't live in much fear of Dem state parties.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Paracaidas posted:

gently caress it, I'm 100% for making bigger states first. I'm sure the cable news networks liked the clown car debates because it was cheap for them and could fill lots of time, but it was so stupid.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hypothetically? No, sounds great. Let’s hope there’s solid evidence, so that we can sideline the lich in time for 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hopefully this will go as well for the GOP as the last time they put a laser focus on the problematic sexual history of a first-term Democratic president

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

morothar posted:

Hypothetically? No, sounds great. Let’s hope there’s solid evidence, so that we can sideline the lich in time for 2024

I'll also hope they'll find time to investigate the 2 dozen+ allegations and current, active rape case against their 2024 candidate!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

Hopefully this will go as well for the GOP as the last time they put a laser focus on the problematic sexual history of a first-term Democratic president

Everyone loses and a powerful sexual predator never sees consequences because the only people who even try anything are doing it for the most crooked reasons possible? I hope it goes a bit better.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 3, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Epic High Five posted:

Oh I read that wrong, I thought the 2nd and 3rd took place at the same time on the same day, but later. My bad. I reinstate my belief that it's bad because the first one should be one that they'll ever win and isn't, for example, the most conservative state in the country, but I don't live in much fear of Dem state parties.
Figured that might be it, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything!

As to the rest, I'm pretty ambivalent about the overall partisanship of the early states in a primary, outside of situations where there's reason to believe the state redness is in part due to active state party misconduct (Alabama Dems are :chloe: as gently caress) or that the redness reflects an extremely unrepresentative ideology of the voters (exit polls in 2016 in West Virginia showing the preferred November candidate of Sanders voters being Trump. Which, to restate, was the majority of people who voted for Bernie in the Dem primary saying that they would vote Trump in November even if Bernie was the Dem candidate. Contrary to idiot lib harrumphing, that's obviously miles out of step with Bernie voters nationwide).

What I did want to see solved by reordering the early states is a dynamic that's often been discussed in (often selfseving) postmortems from Black candidates: South Carolina won't go for a Black candidate until they've proven viability elsewhere- and that's meant Iowa and New Hampshire lately. It's probably not too cynical to see that dynamic as a feature and not a bug to the decisionmakers who bumped South Carolina up at the time, a way to performatively take action without risking anything actually changing. For what it's worth, in the one actual test of the theory, Obama did see a 20ish point jump in polls following Iowa.

Reevaluating the first 5 every cycle will allow for quicker resolution of unintended (or :airquote:unintended:airquote:) consequences of reordering, but I fear may also leave the early primaries lurching unpredictably. Which isn't that big a cost compared to status quo, and will avoid some of the corruption that's built up over time in Iowa. Ideally, this will get potential candidates engaging in midterm and offcycle party building in a wider variety states, as we've seen in Iowa.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sure fine, good thing for bad gop reasons

I don't expect poo poo to come of it, but hey, maybe they weasel their way into unsealing his senate investigation records, which would at least be interesting (and was not handled correctly in round one)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
In the event that, for whatever reason, Biden in 2024 becomes untenable, who do we replace him with?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It sounds to me like it is the rail management is a national security threat if that’s what they would do in response to having staff adequately enough to have reasonable sick day policy.

Management is easier to replace than labor is right now.

No, as I'd said before, that's what they do to prepare for a strike- it's why Congress was in such a rush to pass something. The shutting down in advance of the strike generally starts a week to five days before the anticipated date.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

-Blackadder- posted:

In the event that, for whatever reason, Biden in 2024 becomes untenable, who do we replace him with?

That's a question for DNC leadership to decide and then tell us what we chose.