Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

-Blackadder- posted:

In the event that, for whatever reason, Biden in 2024 becomes untenable, who do we replace him with?

Manchin. There must always be a Joe., it's been poll tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

-Blackadder- posted:

In the event that, for whatever reason, Biden in 2024 becomes untenable, who do we replace him with?

Impossible to say no matter how small-d democratic or not you think the process is. Did anyone expect Biden in 2018?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I have a deep abiding fear that Biden keels over or resigns or whatever and we get stuck with Kamala loving Harris.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Byzantine posted:

I have a deep abiding fear that Biden keels over or resigns or whatever and we get stuck with Kamala loving Harris.

yeah this is the actual nightmare scenario for 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Byzantine posted:

I really don't think she would be given the nomination without a fight

You already have people like Gavin Newsom saying that if Biden doesn't run in 2024 he's going to step in (not that he's a good choice either)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Worst case is he keels after he wins the nomination.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oracle posted:

Worst hilarious case is he and trump keels after they win the nominations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

No, as I'd said before, that's what they do to prepare for a strike- it's why Congress was in such a rush to pass something. The shutting down in advance of the strike generally starts a week to five days before the anticipated date.

Got ya,

For some reason I thought you out were saying they’d do that for the other bill.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

-Blackadder- posted:

Who should we replace him with, or who will we replace him with?

Should: Bernie's seat is up in 2024, I'd prefer he stay put since it seems unlikely that the primary voters will ever pick him. So, I'm not really sure.

Will: I guess Kamala Harris and Gavin Newsom might be the early frontrunners.... so they may be doomed. I don't really believe in mayor Butt, either. So, could be Gretchen Whitmer.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Byzantine posted:

I don't know, a president whose brain doesn't work because of klonopin might be a nice change from a president whose brain doesn't work because of dementia.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rigel posted:

Who should we replace him with, or who will we replace him with?

Should: Bernie's seat is up in 2024, I'd prefer he stay put since it seems unlikely that the primary voters will ever pick him. So, I'm not really sure.

Will: I guess Kamala Harris and Gavin Newsom might be the early frontrunners.... so they may be doomed. I don't really believe in mayor Butt, either. So, could be Gretchen Whitmer.
Pritzker would be awesome but he's not allowed to leave Illinois because I'll be very angry/sad. I love my big rich gov and America doesn't deserve him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kamala is DOA

In the event that Biden bows out, you're likely getting Pete v. Newsom

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Judging potential "good" presidential candidates on a -10 - 0 scale.

I had to Google whether aoc and Omar really voted to bar the strike. Changing the system from within! Guess I wasn't being realistic enough.

I believe representation is important to a point. Representation without results is just empty placation and neatly fits with our trajectory.

Imagine our first leftist atheist president (if you can). In a hurry to compromise I'd bet. But the data shows that reasonable logical consumers voters want what they want, do you hate democracy?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

cat botherer posted:

a president whose brain doesn't work because of dementia

Is Trump running in the Democratic primary?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

I had to Google whether aoc and Omar really voted to bar the strike. Changing the system from within! Guess I wasn't being realistic enough.

The sniveling little cowards are getting started building their political capital.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Hey, stupid loving question here. If they gave the Union workers a 25% raise instead of sick pay, wouldn’t someone who works four days and call in sick on the 5th make the same amount of money as someone who worked five days before the raise?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Got ya,

For some reason I thought you out were saying they’d do that for the other bill.

Sorry, to clarify, they'd do that if there were a single bill with the 7 days because they'd know that bill wouldn't pass.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Hey, stupid loving question here. If they gave the Union workers a 25% raise instead of sick pay, wouldn’t someone who works four days and call in sick on the 5th make the same amount of money as someone who worked five days before the raise?

The difference is they'd need to have someone else trained and paid to cover the person who is out sick. The rail companies are treating their HR like it's JIT stocking-keeping the actual bare minimum number in service. I suspect part of the reason is self-reinforcing, that they keep negotiating relatively high pay raises that would apply to any increased headcount.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 3, 2022

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Many people want to feel they did a good job every day, are in good standing with their business/industry, and rely on job security for the Healthcare and well being of themselves and their families.

There is a right wing media framing of "people are too lazy to work!". It's also possible people respond reasonably to their energy efforts and life being spent in service of profits to a company that consumes their existence. Hey, though, they can always quit and get a different job gotta love freedom.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It would benefit whoever is most popular with black voters. That isn't always the most conservative.

Also, they are reevaluating the first 5 every cycle. So, if Biden runs for re-election, then the schedule this year doesn't really matter.

The 2024 changes they approved:

- Make 5 early states instead of 4.
- SC goes first
- NH and NV go second on the same day
- Georgia goes 3rd
- Michigan goes 4th.

Iowa is banished because the Republicans are keeping it first.

It would really be nice to see something on the West Coast for once. But no, let keep ignoring those folks and pretending there's no bench of left politicians to pull from there. Only a single state west of the Mississippi river. loving bullshit.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'll also hope they'll find time to investigate the 2 dozen+ allegations and current, active rape case against their 2024 candidate!

Trump being a rapist, which he is, is irrelevant as to whether Biden is a rapist, which he is.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I believe in the train worker unions there's a lot of on-call work and they call you and and set schedules based on "reliability". So if they schedule you and you call in sick it counts as a mark against you making it less likely you get called for work in future? Or maybe if you get enough marks against you they fire you or something, I can't remember the exact details. Part of their proposal was to have these allowable sick days that wouldn't count against your reliability score. So it's not just about the pay but about not having the company punish you for having to call in sick.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The rail companies are treating their HR like it's JIT stocking-keeping the actual bare minimum number in service. I suspect part of the reason is self-reinforcing, that they keep negotiating relatively high pay raises that would apply to any increased headcount.

This is exactly it.

It’s also a feedback loop on the labor side too. As they are understaffed that stresses the remaining labor. This drives up quits and down hires. It hollows out the human capital and knowledge base of staffing.

The employees they are losing have decades of experience in some cases. They can lose hundreds of man-years of experience with handfuls of quits and replacing that takes decades.

This is an endemic problem in transportation in general. We should not be respectful of management that makes decisions like this that are ongoing for decades. The situation is totally unnecessary.

It’s madness they aren’t being racked over the coals for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is exactly it.

It’s also a feedback loop on the labor side too. As they are understaffed that stresses the remaining labor. This drives up quits and down hires. It hollows out the human capital and knowledge base of staffing.

The employees they are losing have decades of experience in some cases. They can lose hundreds of man-years of experience with handfuls of quits and replacing that takes decades.

This is an endemic problem in transportation in general. We should not be respectful of management that makes decisions like this that are ongoing for decades. The situation is totally unnecessary.

It’s madness they aren’t being racked over the coals for it.

Because management under late capitalism is not to be criticised. You have to go full Elon Musk for people to even feel comfortable starting to make fun of you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Everything else aside, I believe it's 25% over the 5 year contract. So that would only be true in 2027 or whatever. So the hypothetical worker with a severe allergy to Fridays would need to wait before discovering their malady.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Biden and senate dems strike-breaking reinforced that it was the right decision to not vote for them or other national dems in the future :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Impossible to say no matter how small-d democratic or not you think the process is. Did anyone expect Biden in 2018?

He was on pretty much every serious predictor's short-list of nominees for Trump's whole presidency, with the biggest question being "will he run?" He wasn't a lock: a lot of people thought some rising star would captivate the party or that Bernie had built a much larger base than he had in 2016. He was just one of the big contenders. And out of potential candidates he performed at/near the top in matchups vs. Trump, so "electability" wasn't a question, for what the term is worth.

Pretty much the only people in 2018-2019 who thought Biden getting the nomination/presidency to be really unlikely were those (like myself) who had been sold on naw, he's clearly senile and rapidly decaying already to sustain a campaign, or that he was only polling well at all because of name recognition and would sink as other people became household names.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

selec posted:

Policing stuff that is essentially entertainment is a joyless path. People get to make their own decisions about if they should/can feel okay about listening to the Ignition Remix, but it can quickly become a process of finding out a lot of things you love can’t really be enjoyed. David Bowie loving around with pretend Nazi cosplay and loving minors. Steven Tyler bought a child bride. Ted Nugent bought a child bride. Slick Rick is a domestic abuser. Patty Smith had that one really problematic song. Good luck with X-Men movies, or anything Bryan Singer touches.

All of these examples are from decades ago. You do know humanity kept producing media after the year 2000, right?

Also, if you want a to watch a super hero movie not directed by a confirmed and unrepentant pedophile you have a lot of options out there. Marvel makes like 3 of those a year now.

And if you do want to watch a super hero movie directed by a confirmed and unrepentant pedophile then no one is going to stop you. Like you said we all have to make our own judgements about what is and isn't morally acceptable to us.

But have you at least TRIED listening to music or watching a movie that wasn't created by a sexual preditor who is now either in their late 70's or dead?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Byzantine posted:

She's the Raul Castro of the Biden administration.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think it's a lot better to have a President Harris as a known quantity, for better or worse (i.e., worse) going into 2024 rather than being a hypothetical

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

You're nightmares seem nice. If Biden steps down or is otherwise unable to run after winning the nomination, the DNC basically gets to choose who their nominee is.

So what I'm asking is, do you know who has that most qualifications and it's her turn?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Riptor posted:

i think it's a lot better to have a President Harris as a known quantity, for better or worse (i.e., worse) going into 2024 rather than being a hypothetical

Is she, though?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is she, though?

Which part

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

If Biden doesn't run or can't run, then the field's open to a bunch of ambitious ghouls, with no clear front-runner. Sanders will be 83 in 2024, so it's unlikely he'll be in the running.

Ordinarily, the top contenders would be Harris and Buttigieg, riding his coattails to the top (just look at how much different 8 years as Obama's VP made for Biden's chances). But it's unclear how much either of them will actually benefit. The name recognition will help, of course. But the general political gossip is that Kamala's stint as VP hasn't gone well, with frequent foot-in-mouth moments and constant clashes with Biden's team, and her approval rating is worse than Biden's. As for Buttigieg, he's done nothing to improve on his weak points - his minority support is as bad as ever, and it's unlikely that his standing among labor is going to improve after this.

There's no anointed successor here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Donald Trump and/or Ron DeSantis would destroy Kamala Harris in a general election because America would never willingly vote for a woman president. And then you need to factor in all her actual flaws as a candidate :v:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Raul Castro was a good leader.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Can someone explain AOC and Omar's position *charitably*? I don't understand the political footwork of voting for something in hopes it will fail? I'm missing something.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

thehandtruck posted:

Can someone explain AOC and Omar's position *charitably*? I don't understand the political footwork of voting for something in hopes it will fail? I'm missing something.

Whats hard to understand? They voted for both bills. They voted for the sick leave bill because they want the workers to get extended sick leave, and they voted for the settlement because it's political suicide for a politician to vote in a way that could shut down rail transport, especially like a month before Christmas, when amounts of cargo go up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Riptor posted:

Which part

A known quantity. Or possibly just a quantity at all. Everyone seems to have just come to completely ignore her existence because it's easier than any other alternative.

Main Paineframe posted:

If Biden doesn't run or can't run, then the field's open to a bunch of ambitious ghouls, with no clear front-runner. Sanders will be 83 in 2024, so it's unlikely he'll be in the running.

Ordinarily, the top contenders would be Harris and Buttigieg, riding his coattails to the top (just look at how much different 8 years as Obama's VP made for Biden's chances). But it's unclear how much either of them will actually benefit. The name recognition will help, of course. But the general political gossip is that Kamala's stint as VP hasn't gone well, with frequent foot-in-mouth moments and constant clashes with Biden's team, and her approval rating is worse than Biden's. As for Buttigieg, he's done nothing to improve on his weak points - his minority support is as bad as ever, and it's unlikely that his standing among labor is going to improve after this.

There's no anointed successor here.

The Democrats spent the last two decades basically preparing the way for President Hillary and have absolutely no idea what to do when it turns out that was not an option. They've gone scorched earth on their junior members for so long they have no bench, and what appeals to the party leadership appeals to no one else in the world.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A known quantity. Or possibly just a quantity at all. Everyone seems to have just come to completely ignore her existence because it's easier than any other alternative.

yeah, one of the more interesting bits of extended Kamala Harris lore is that the last time she had to take a position on something was back in e. why the hell did i swap 2014 and 2010 in my head, 2010, when she eked out a win by 0.8% vs. a republican in california.

she fought her way to the top of the junior senator from California race mostly on the back of hard-earned connections within the state democratic party, and then spent her brief time in the senate safely insulated from ever actually having her vote mean a goddamned thing. her brief experience in the 2020 primary was marked by a total inability to pick a position, and then during her time as VP Biden has basically thrown her out there as ablative armor whenever he's doing something particularly noxious. crushing the rail strike is the first time in his administration he hasn't sent her out to be in charge of burying any hope for better, which is an interesting deviation from form; whether the Dems are announcing the concentration camps are here to stay or that they're not going to lift a finger about Roe V. Wade being overturned, you can usually trust that Kamala Harris will have been attached to the devastating policy failure by her boss.

she has no identity of her own, which makes her an extremely interesting person to watch as far as the inevitable post-biden shitshow is concerned.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Epicurius posted:

it's political suicide for a politician to vote in a way that could shut down rail transport, especially like a month before Christmas, when amounts of cargo go up.

Well, that doesn't really apply to AOC and Omar because their districts are safe and I don't think they have statewide or national ambitions. (Schumer is 72, he's not going anywhere)

The charitable interpretation for them is either they genuinely believe there was really no chance a strike would have worked out and that the damage to the economy would be too great, or they want to be team players at least once in a while and save their moments to pull left for times when they might make a difference, or both. I don't like it and think they should have voted no anyway, but that is probably what it is.