Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

To be fair he was having about just as good a season with the Cubs before we traded him at the deadline.

Yeah I wouldn't put Chris Martin in the Mark Prior Voodoo category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:w-hat:

https://twitter.com/TXRangersPR/status/1598845071721627649?t=NAK8F7gjvjPJY_n5017TSw&s=19

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1598832487714631681

Darn we lost one of our AAAA utility infield guys, now the Cubs only have like six identical guys left!

STAC Goat posted:

I honestly forgot Kris Bryant existed.

He actually hit very well when healthy this year, he just wasn't healthy much at all. He's been having recurring shoulder issues for a while and on top he's also now apparently developed plantar fasciitis.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:eyepop:

5/185 per Rosenthal:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1598845436701319170

e. Passan saying it's a fully done deal physical and all, also includes a sixth year that could take it up to $222M in total :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1598845205763047425

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Well that was unexpected

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rangers part of an experiment to spend as much money on good free agents as possible while remaining absolute dogshit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which reactionary DFW suburb will Jacob DeGrom live in

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Not really, Rangers were the front-runners.

I know the "donsen't like to play in New York" poo poo is overdone, but I really thing the he was not very happy being the face of the franchise.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

zoux posted:

Which reactionary DFW suburb will Jacob DeGrom live in

Southlake

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

davecrazy posted:

Not really, Rangers were the front-runners.

I know the "donsen't like to play in New York" poo poo is overdone, but I really thing the he was not very happy being the face of the franchise.

Kinda surprised that Alonso isn't the face at this point tbh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apologies to Rangers fans, but they are the default team in a non-licensed MLB video game to me. They are a team in a movie about major league baseball that does not have the rights.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Pretty good deal for him with no state taxes and October's always off.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sab0921 posted:

Pretty good deal for him with no state taxes and October's always off.

Don't ballplayers pay taxes on every applicable state you earn income in?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

:eyepop:

5/185 per Rosenthal:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1598845436701319170

e. Passan saying it's a fully done deal physical and all, also includes a sixth year that could take it up to $222M in total :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1598845205763047425

edit: i can read good

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 3, 2022

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Hell of a deal. How’s their farm? Are they still going to be puke next year?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Red posted:

Look man I just wanted to say the Rangers bad thing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

Yeah

They spent half a billion on a middle infield last offseason and finished next to last in the division

Which is one better than they did in '21 so congrats on the third place finish Texas Rangers

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 3, 2022

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Dinosaurs! posted:

They're pretty drat bad. After signing Semien and Seager to megadeals, their best hitter last year was Nathaniel Lowe. They have zero pitching. Martin Perez put up an inexplicable 5.0 WAR season after being slightly below league average as a starter. Kumar Rocker is expected to make the jump and is just about their only hope at SP.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sab0921 posted:

Look man I just wanted to say the Rangers bad thing

Please check with your accountant before posting next time!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah

They spent half a billion on a middle infield last offseason and finished next to last in the division

The west was def better than the central! 2 playoff teams!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Pungry posted:

They're pretty drat bad. After signing Semien and Seager to megadeals, their best hitter last year was Nathaniel Lowe. They have zero pitching. Martin Perez put up an inexplicable 5.0 WAR season after being slightly below league average as a starter. Kumar Rocker is expected to make the jump and is just about their only hope at SP.

Shouldn’t Leiter be ready soon as well?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Red posted:

Yeah but they also get paid and taxed per game, at least that's my understanding. Signing with the Rangers means 82 home games + 9-10 in Houston + 9-10 in Seattle, which is like 100 out of 162 games played in states with zero income tax. That ain't nothing in terms of money made back, particularly when you're talking about almost $40M annually.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Honestly it would be pretty funny if when the Astros finally have their windows close and the Mariners are the heirs apparent the Rangers jump to the front of the line

Although I'd prefer the Astros window to remain open through the life of that deGrom contract so

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Shouldn’t Leiter be ready soon as well?

Ah true. Yeah, the Rangers used two really high picks on "MLB-ready" college pitchers. I forgot about Leiter but yes he and Rocker are the big hopes for the Rangers as far as turning around their starting pitching while they have this extremely high-talent core of free agents.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Man, deGrom leaving kind of felt inevitable but this is still pretty wild.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Also 5 years with his injury history is asking for a lot.

Good luck to him, all good memories.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rangers and Angels in a dogfight for the most-losses-per-dollar-spent championship

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

5-6 years for DeGrom is something. How good are the Rangers doctors?

elentar posted:

Anthopoulos is a warlock and I mean that as ambiguously as possible.

https://twitter.com/matteddyba/status/1598742268751614009?s=46&t=cWpJUM03QKlGivmmO-K7lA

I knew Ozzie took a sweetheart deal but 35 million? Good god

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Rangers doctors have to be better than the Mets doctors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Almost $750 million to three guys, good lord

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Red posted:

Its prorated by games though isnt it so half his work is in a no-income tax state now

I would not have even considered giving deGrom 5 years

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jack Leiter looked really bad this year in Frisco at a level where he should be dominating (AA). He finished the season with a 5.54 ERA and his walk rates are not good at all.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Holy poo poo, Rangers :staredog:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Rangers looked farther along than the absolute basement but man you sign Degrom and you’re actually making a run what, 3 years in? If everything goes right?

That’s a hell of a gamble.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

zoux posted:

Apologies to Rangers fans, but they are the default team in a non-licensed MLB video game to me. They are a team in a movie about major league baseball that does not have the rights.

I'd argue against this if the franchise hadn't decided to fade into dogshit after letting Darvish walk away. Hell, this news does nothing for me. Sure, he's a good pitcher. Gonna need a lot more than that to be decent.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wow kudos to the A's front office for NOT giving DeGrom that offer, shrewd move, boys!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jack Leiter looked really bad this year in Frisco at a level where he should be dominating (AA). He finished the season with a 5.54 ERA and his walk rates are not good at all.

Rocker is also very much not the sure thing everybody thought he was before the Mets balked.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Rangers looked farther along than the absolute basement but man you sign Degrom and you’re actually making a run what, 3 years in? If everything goes right?

That’s a hell of a gamble.

Their infield is real good, their OF is absolute trash offensively, and their bullpen is a tire fire for the most part, but this also opens up the potential to trade some of their minor-league arms to help fill those holes. They could be at least a WC team as early as next year if things break right.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Almost $750 million to three guys, good lord

The Padres are paying $640 to Tatis and Machado and are apparently in on one of the big shortstops and trying to extend Soto.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Inspector_666 posted:

Rocker is also very much not the sure thing everybody thought he was before the Mets balked.

Their infield is real good, their OF is absolute trash offensively, and their bullpen is a tire fire for the most part, but this also opens up the potential to trade some of their minor-league arms to help fill those holes. They could be at least a WC team as early as next year if things break right.

They also had an absolutely abysmal record in one-run games (9 wins behind the pythag record). The bullpen was really bad, but that's probably the easiest fix. 3B and LF were both like the worst position for any team in baseball. Josh Jung should be filling the void at 3B. They have some superfluous middle-infield talent that is pretty well thought of (particularly Duran) that I expect to get moved. I'm expecting them to add another SP and an OF.

With a little bit of improved luck, new additions, and call ups I don't think a wild card slot is out of reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
deGrom is great but he's also a 5 inning pitcher and gets hurt literally all the time. The Mets should be fine without him.