Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

dogstile posted:

Everyone runs powersword and bolter, but you'll take a while to get to those, so just use what you like until then.

Orv posted:

In the end if you wanna use Vet's Best Weapons, you want a Power Sword and a Bolter/Plasma Gun/Kantrael MG XII depending on your taste in ranged.

Other notable mentions; Shovel has good crowd control for hordes, Braced Autoguns are an acquired taste but can do some devastating work on specials and elites and the Accatran Recon line of full-auto lasrifles can be a ton of fun, with the VIIa being the standout for all around usefulness.

Alright, thanks. Is the Bolter good against gun patrols? That's the one thing I kind of like about the Ia Lasgun they started me out with. Big difference coming from Ogryn. That and the health, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, thanks. Is the Bolter good against gun patrols? That's the one thing I kind of like about the Ia Lasgun they started me out with. Big difference coming from Ogryn. That and the health, of course.

It will do fine against patrols, it turns men into meat very easily and can pierce the boxes and stuff you often find shooters hiding behind but the ammo will quickly become an issue.

I've done Malice runs since launch where the enemies were like 75% ranged, shooters, gunners and shotgunners and I would not have survived those runs with a bolter.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Does the grenade gauntlet still count all it's melee attacks as heavy?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I find it pretty decent against groups of gunners, if you can get the drop on the group where they're just walking about you can just full auto fire into the group to shred them utterly but if they do scatter and find cover then you probably don't want to be the sole person trying to outshoot a group of 15 of them with it cause of the fire rate when zoomed in. It does shoot through thin cover like boxes and the tin sheets though so you can aim down sights and kill some key targets or thin them out a bit.

It's very good for pulling out and deleting big ogryns, mutants and that kinda thing, has a bit of a long animation to pulling it out but if you do when you hear the mutant, etc you'll have time.

My one has a trait that gives it a stacking crit chance the longer I aim down sights and then another one that does more damage to staggered targets which also stacks and the full auto fire really staggers groups on the outer range of the explosive projectiles quite well so it kinda gets more powerful in both situations as long as I'm using it right. I'm a zealot though not a veteran so ammo can be a concern, just have to be a bit careful with it and make sure you keep it reloaded when you have downtime. The group of friends I play with, we're all the different classes but the psyker barely plays so our vet and I kinda both take care of the ranged duties as needed situationally.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orv posted:

It will do fine against patrols, it turns men into meat very easily and can pierce the boxes and stuff you often find shooters hiding behind but the ammo will quickly become an issue.

I've done Malice runs since launch where the enemies were like 75% ranged, shooters, gunners and shotgunners and I would not have survived those runs with a bolter.

Which weapon did you use instead? I might go for that one as well, I've come to really loathe the ranged grunts after maining an Ogryn, dealing with them effectively is a must.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any tips for getting the "charge six ogryn in one charge" penance? Even on Heresy I've only seen like three at a time.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Phlegmish posted:

Which weapon did you use instead? I might go for that one as well, I've come to really loathe the ranged grunts after maining an Ogryn, dealing with them effectively is a must.

Kantrael MK12 is solid if you just want a good allrounder. It's a lower RoF lasgun with more oomph without being a full on sniper. Followup shots take some practice but if you like to hit F and shoot the yellow glowies to make em disappear in one or two shots regardless of range and without too many extra gimmicks, look no further.

Combat shotgun is very fun if you like mixing it up a lot in melee, since it's immediately ready upon weaponswitch, has great range with ADS, and good ammo economy. Simple.

Plasma gun fills a similar role with the caveat that it has a long reload (but no setup time), you have to manage heat, and the shooting takes some getting used to since it's not immediately after clicking. On the upside, its basically a fat Quake 3 railgun that makes elites and the horde in front of them turn into goo.

Recon lasgun MkVIIa if you wanna hold down LMB and dakka things by generally aiming at their heads and watching them disappear in a spray of laser

Honestly Vet has very little, truly bad ranged options. Some of the other lasgun Mk's are meh, and the helbore used to be kind of bad but I don't know if it still is.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
I might have missed it during psyker chat before, but are other people frustrated with the warp charge mechanic? I know the feats have been criticized on general, but the fact that so many of them play off building warp charges is really annoying.

As someone mentioned earlier, brain burst tends to be a situational tool, taking out bosses and armor guys and stuff like that. But the warp charge mechanic kind of forces you pop random guys in every pack so you can keep your stack going. It creates a chore and promotes bad play like some of the penance tasks. And it seems you have few options for building out your feats that don't involve warp charges.

Am I looking at it wrong or is this a solved problem that others found a way around?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any tips for getting the "charge six ogryn in one charge" penance? Even on Heresy I've only seen like three at a time.

Seems purely random to me, just need to hope it lines up. Maybe they'll change it or there'll be an ogryn heavy level or modifier in the future?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

thebardyspoon posted:

Seems purely random to me, just need to hope it lines up. Maybe they'll change it or there'll be an ogryn heavy level or modifier in the future?

They just changed it from 4 to 6 around launch, while making other penances easier.

It's kind of weird.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

S.J. posted:

Does the grenade gauntlet still count all it's melee attacks as heavy?

Last I checked, yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

As noted and I'll always shill for, the Kantrael MG XII is the best all arounder in the game, a high end one will one tap scab and dreg shooters to the chest/gut/shoulder and do incredibly solid headshot damage outside of Volley Fire, up to three or four headshotting Reapers in Volley Fire.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Kantrael MK12 is solid if you just want a good allrounder. It's a lower RoF lasgun with more oomph without being a full on sniper. Followup shots take some practice but if you like to hit F and shoot the yellow glowies to make em disappear in one or two shots regardless of range and without too many extra gimmicks, look no further.

Orv posted:

As noted and I'll always shill for, the Kantrael MG XII is the best all arounder in the game, a high end one will one tap scab and dreg shooters to the chest/gut/shoulder and do incredibly solid headshot damage outside of Volley Fire, up to three or four headshotting Reapers in Volley Fire.

Alright, it's decided, I'm going for the Kantrael MG XII. I'm assuming it'll be a while before it starts showing up in the Armoury Exchange, I'll experiment with some of the other options in the meantime. So far, the Kantrael MG IV isn't too bad, though it lacks punch.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Average bolter fan vs average lasgun enjoyer.

Embrace the imperial guard life and wield a flashlight, like the Emperor intended.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Having a store or rewards full of laspistols I'll never ever use while not seeing a good combat knife for literal days... honestly, they should do a pass on the lower end stuff. Make laspistols not use ammo at all, or run off a very large / generous heat pool or something, anything to give a reason to use it over literally every other option

Bring on crafting now please

Orv
May 4, 2011
And then I never pugged another Hab Dreyko ever again.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

And then I never pugged another Hab Dreyko ever again.

Is that the investigation mission? That one strangely seems much more difficult than the others of similar level for some reason.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The mission select loving sucks, been waiting for a heresy mission for the last hour and all that are spawning are level 1, 2 and 5 missions. I cant comprehend why Fatshark made such a bullheaded move.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BombiTheZombie posted:

The mission select loving sucks, been waiting for a heresy mission for the last hour and all that are spawning are level 1, 2 and 5 missions. I cant comprehend why Fatshark made such a bullheaded move.

Dumb question: if you quick-play a Heresy mission, will it still throw you in a queue? Or will it only grab from stuff on the mission board?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

S.J. posted:

Dumb question: if you quick-play a Heresy mission, will it still throw you in a queue? Or will it only grab from stuff on the mission board?

It seems to force matchmake you to another difficulty. Just tried to quickplay a heresy mission and it tosses me into a malice run.

E: Second time it tossed me into a heresy difficulty map that wasnt even available on the map select screen. Is it split into search areas or something?

BombiTheZombie fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 3, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BombiTheZombie posted:

It seems to force matchmake you to another difficulty. Just tried to quickplay a heresy mission and it tosses me into a malice run.

What a crock of poo poo, wow. There's really no reason there wouldn't be at least 2 of any given difficulty up on the board at all times.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that's a bug fwiw. still sucks

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Which part?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

BombiTheZombie posted:

Yeah 4 missions seem in short supply but there's always a couple 5s lol

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

DyneAvenger posted:

I might have missed it during psyker chat before, but are other people frustrated with the warp charge mechanic? I know the feats have been criticized on general, but the fact that so many of them play off building warp charges is really annoying.

As someone mentioned earlier, brain burst tends to be a situational tool, taking out bosses and armor guys and stuff like that. But the warp charge mechanic kind of forces you pop random guys in every pack so you can keep your stack going. It creates a chore and promotes bad play like some of the penance tasks. And it seems you have few options for building out your feats that don't involve warp charges.

Am I looking at it wrong or is this a solved problem that others found a way around?

I share this feeling too. Psyker probably needs a rework in general. Most feats are useless, and even the ones that can have synergy need a lot of tuning.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Is that the investigation mission? That one strangely seems much more difficult than the others of similar level for some reason.

Yeah, it's difficult because it's effectively endless hordes and specials for the duration of each scan phase and randos, even the competent ones, are often incapable of doing objective modes so if it drags on rather than quickly scanning everything you end up draining too many resources.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Chazani posted:

I share this feeling too. Psyker probably needs a rework in general. Most feats are useless, and even the ones that can have synergy need a lot of tuning.

Honestly, half the feat options in the game either seem to be on the wrong track for comparison or just not worth taking at all.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
What are good weapons for a low level Zealot? Combat axe seems pretty solid because of the high damage and I just bought a shotgun. When I unlock flamers I'm going to use those exclusively because they look super fun and melt mobs but what about melee weapons?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

What are good weapons for a low level Zealot? Combat axe seems pretty solid because of the high damage and I just bought a shotgun. When I unlock flamers I'm going to use those exclusively because they look super fun and melt mobs but what about melee weapons?

Atrox Mk 5 is always my axe recommendation but they're basically all good. Combat Knife is a remarkably good killer and horde clearer. Heavy Sword is better than it was in beta and is solid at scything through hordes but trash at any kind of armor, can't recommend.

Shotgun, Revolver and Braced Autoguns are good pre-flamethrower options.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DyneAvenger posted:

Honestly when you put on that psychic link talent I hardly even need to generate charges myself, you get like 4 all the time just from you or your teammates doing normal killing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm pretty sure there's a bug where contracts sometimes just don't progress? maybe the first mission you do after starting up the game?

I have a contract for "kill 750 scab with melee", and another for "pick up 5 grimoires".
First mission of the day, killed a lot of guys in melee and also picked up a grimoire(and completed the mission with it held).

But after that, no progress on either of those. Do another mission, kill a bunch of guys in melee again, and now I'm 263/750 for that contract.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
They should probably introduce something more interesting to the weekly shop at some point, because now that upgrading is in, they are kinda overshadowed by just buying high-stat weapons in the store and boosting them up to max.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Atrox axe with Shred on Zealot with bleed/crit build and toughness resist on crit is a beast.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

Atrox Mk 5 is always my axe recommendation but they're basically all good. Combat Knife is a remarkably good killer and horde clearer. Heavy Sword is better than it was in beta and is solid at scything through hordes but trash at any kind of armor, can't recommend.

Shotgun, Revolver and Braced Autoguns are good pre-flamethrower options.

OK sounds like axes is the way to go. They do a ton of damage. Thanks

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Sharkopath posted:

Honestly when you put on that psychic link talent I hardly even need to generate charges myself, you get like 4 all the time just from you or your teammates doing normal killing.

I thought about that, but was worried the percentage would be too low to outweigh the other ones in that tier.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DyneAvenger posted:

I thought about that, but was worried the percentage would be too low to outweigh the other ones in that tier.

It’s 4% with any kill rather than just elites or specials and you average about 1000 kills on a Malice run and often over 2000 on Heresy or above. It’s great.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I used some axe variant for ages and then chainswords. I'm on like lvl 15 and using a hammer at the moment and it's good due to the knockback.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Alright, now I've picked up grimoires twice and it hasn't progressed the contract once >:/

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IronicDongz posted:

Alright, now I've picked up grimoires twice and it hasn't progressed the contract once >:/

Just in case, you are finishing the level with them?
"Pick up" in the case of scriptures and grimoires for the weeklies means finishing the level with them, and it also counts all the ones carried by your teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

IronicDongz posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a bug where contracts sometimes just don't progress? maybe the first mission you do after starting up the game?

I have a contract for "kill 750 scab with melee", and another for "pick up 5 grimoires".
First mission of the day, killed a lot of guys in melee and also picked up a grimoire(and completed the mission with it held).

But after that, no progress on either of those. Do another mission, kill a bunch of guys in melee again, and now I'm 263/750 for that contract.

Scabs are a specific enemy type, were you definitely fighting scabs in that first game and not dregs?