Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rigel posted:

Well, that doesn't really apply to AOC and Omar because their districts are safe and I don't think they have statewide or national ambitions. (Schumer is 72, he's not going anywhere)

The charitable interpretation for them is either they genuinely believe there was really no chance a strike would have worked out and that the damage to the economy would be too great, or they want to be team players at least once in a while and save their moments to pull left for times when they might make a difference, or both. I don't like it and think they should have voted no anyway, but that is probably what it is.

Yeah, it's not like literally anyone is going to be less hostile to them for supporting the party line. The Republicans see them as literal demons and Democrats will never forgive them for getting elected as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

-Blackadder- posted:

In the event that, for whatever reason, Biden in 2024 becomes untenable, who do we replace him with?

Pelosi

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rigel posted:

Well, that doesn't really apply to AOC and Omar because their districts are safe and I don't think they have statewide or national ambitions. (Schumer is 72, he's not going anywhere)

The charitable interpretation for them is either they genuinely believe there was really no chance a strike would have worked out and that the damage to the economy would be too great, or they want to be team players at least once in a while and save their moments to pull left for times when they might make a difference, or both. I don't like it and think they should have voted no anyway, but that is probably what it is.

Personally, they should have voted no on the back to work bill and yes on the sick leave. A "This is a lovely deal for the unions, but if you insist on forcing them back to work, let's at least give them their sick leave" vote.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I wanted to share this Twitter thread on the voting experience in Georgia. It's not long.

I've been voting by mail for a long time now and it's striking how cumbersome in-person voting can be, whether intentionally or just due to bad systems.

https://twitter.com/ProfessaJay/status/1598827111392968704?s=20&t=Dg3d-T2fUgHlj5ggZmI2gw

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I wanted to share this Twitter thread on the voting experience in Georgia. It's not long.

I've been voting by mail for a long time now and it's striking how cumbersome in-person voting can be, whether intentionally or just due to bad systems.

https://twitter.com/ProfessaJay/status/1598827111392968704?s=20&t=Dg3d-T2fUgHlj5ggZmI2gw

What the actual gently caress? Here in WA I’ve had my ballot mailed to me no questions asked for over 20 years. gently caress this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gyges posted:

You're nightmares seem nice. If Biden steps down or is otherwise unable to run after winning the nomination, the DNC basically gets to choose who their nominee is.

So what I'm asking is, do you know who has that most qualifications and it's her turn?

Yeah that won’t happen. She’s done. She’ll also be 77 and there is a distinct push for younger (relatively speaking) people in leadership, especially after the youth has come out the last few elections.

Say hello to candidate Buttigieg.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 3, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Solkanar512 posted:

What the actual gently caress? Here in WA I’ve had my ballot mailed to me no questions asked for over 20 years. gently caress this.

All the waiting and hurdles is the point. I never here stories like this out of blue states. It’s always from states controlled by republicans.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bird in a Blender posted:

All the waiting and hurdles is the point. I never here stories like this out of blue states. It’s always from states controlled by republicans.

A lot of the replies are white dudes saying "this isn't my experience in the suburbs!" They're so close to getting it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Oracle posted:

Yeah that won’t happen. She’s done. She’ll also be 77 and there is a distinct push for younger (relatively speaking) people in leadership, especially after the youth has come out the last few elections.

Say hello to candidate Buttigieg.

I think Buttigieg would/will continue to be the Rubio of Dem presidential runs.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

There’s a few stories with long wait times or unexpected polling place closures out of blue states, but they’re usually from Republican run areas of said blue states or because of Republican fuckery (I remember in 2014 in Illinois a bunch of polling places in Chicago proper couldn’t open because the Republican judges who’d signed up to man them mysteriously didn’t show up for work, and you can’t open a polling place without at least one member of the other party as a judge).

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

-Blackadder- posted:

In the event that, for whatever reason, Biden in 2024 becomes untenable, who do we replace him with?

Is there any speculation about Sherrod Brown? He is 70, but I feel like he has enough name recognition to be a serious contender.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This seems like a thing just to punish people in large cities by understaffing and having too few polling places. I lived in Georgia for a few years and always early voted. It usually took like 15 minutes.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It's not the same hurdle but it is ridiculous being a Michigan voter outside Michigan. Though, we just made one improvement at least.

Ballots have to be mailed in, no fax, no email, and of course no proxy. Which can be a problem from the other side of the world. And, like yeah never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but is an even bigger problem when your clerk ghosts you and doesn't seem to get that I need my ballot in advance.

Its cost me decent money because I end up backed into a corner where my only option is the absolute fastest express.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like the final House margin ended up being higher than we initially thought

https://twitter.com/baseballot/status/1598877035799068672?s=46&t=pcfT6L-wonPXwlvpBlVKbg

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Still single digits

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A known quantity. Or possibly just a quantity at all. Everyone seems to have just come to completely ignore her existence because it's easier than any other alternative.

The Democrats spent the last two decades basically preparing the way for President Hillary and have absolutely no idea what to do when it turns out that was not an option. They've gone scorched earth on their junior members for so long they have no bench, and what appeals to the party leadership appeals to no one else in the world.

This is overstating what happened by a large margin. The reality is a bit less generalizing of the party as a whole. From what I recall:

Hillary and her (corporate, sometimes banking affiliated in the case of Goldman Sachs, and generally extremely rich, Republican, and obviously very conservative) affiliated financial interests basically maneuvered the Democratic party into debt so she and they could leverage it for her to run to try and buy a candidate in the executive, They did this largely not caring (Unless they could supplant someone more to the left than them. Which the right wing of the party establishment often did.) about the lack of funding doing massive amounts of damage down the line at the state and federal levels. All while implicitly or explicitly pushing third way "What if we triangulated to agree with the Republicans to pick up moderate voters (note however that there's a party that already does this --- they're called Republicans)" bullshit to try and co-opt the party into serving right wing interests.

Incidentally, if you were wondering why the Third Way movement never grew a second brain cell and realized their practices were loving the party over this is why. There were vested financial interests backing it up that didn't give a poo poo about how damaging it was. In fact, you could even argue that the damage to the party by forcibly pulling it further to the right was entirely one of the points of the Third Way movement in the first place given some of the financial backers it and affiliated supporters of moving the party to the right had over the years.

As a result inevitably the third way's answer to every bit of evidence saying "people in the Democratic party and in the middle loving hate third way politics and triangulating just hands wins to Republicans" was always answered by the third way types with "Well we polled a slew of people in podunklandia who pointed out how stupid and destructive for the party and country the third way "movement" is alongside one or two Republican voters who supported us so clearly the answer is to be third way/right leaning even harder!".

TL;DR: There were vested financial interests behind the movement that were trying to co-opt the party into controlled opposition to the Republicans or buy influence over the party to make them as lacking in decency and scruples as the Republicans. :shrug:

Edit: Of course when Trump came along she suddenly found a spine and called him and his supporters deplorables and whatnot but couldn't even stick to her guns on that. Meanwhile, people who followed how she and those aligned with her in the past interacted with the party as a whole were disgusted with her from day one of her campaign since she and the people who finance similar efforts are such a toxic influence on the party and are still at least partially responsible for why the Republicans get away with stacking the courts and loving over the country at the expense of the rich.

Her waffling on showing that one bit of decency that suggested she could be trusted didn't do any favors for her. Since she was going to rallies talking about how bad the younger generations had it (after being part of the movement to gently caress them over in politics for so long) and then going to expensive speaking engagements with assholes who ruined countless lives, like the aforementioned Goldman-Sachs dinner to assure them nothing would change. Not exactly reputable or trustworthy behavior.

Her lovely attitude to reaping the consequences of her lovely behavior within the party is also a major turn off for a lot of clued in people. She was a wrecker and a bad influence up until it was in her personal interest to pretend to not to be. Then she lapsed back into old habits at the first sign of right wing pushback. Then because she couldn't show show even an iota of principles managed to faceplant her way into loving over the country by letting one of the most infamous and hated authoritarian grifters in the country into the executive.

That she went on to blame millennials and the democratic party as a whole (at one point, following the trend of right wingers and third way types always blaming the institution they're trying to co-opt or destroy for their own failures in decency) in the following years as she grew incredibly salty over how embarrassing her loss was is just proof that her wing of the party is a big part of why the Democratic party still has so many problems.

TL;DR: She basically quietly pulled a Sinema only with better PR and better strategies and more support in manipulating the party in the intervening years.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 3, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

FCKGW posted:

Still single digits

One of the democrats in congress died, so double digits. 212-222.

Edit: but not really, it’s five.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Automata 10 Pack posted:

One of the democrats in congress died, so double digits. 212-222.

Edit: but not really, it’s five.

It is effectively the same thing, a bill up for a vote loses on a tie vote, so the magic number is still 5 GOP defectors would kill anything.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How close were the races we lost?

Did we still get the usual blow outs in red areas or were they a lot closer than usual? For example, Boebert's was quite the squeaker wasn't?

Either way, with the major exceptions of New York and Florida, people should feel pretty good, all things considered.

We had favorable headwinds to do well in the last two elections but this one was the real test and it seems like the Dem electorate may have finally decided that they like winning elections.

No sign the Conservative SC is going anywhere and it'll be either Trump or DeSantis in 2024 so there'll be plenty of kerosine to keep the fires going for now.

The next test, after 2024, will be to see if everyone goes back to sleep once Trump finally goes away and if people will fall for it when we inevitably get another R running the Bush/Youngkin "Compassionate Conservative" con.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

The next test, after 2024, will be to see if everyone goes back to sleep once Trump finally goes away and if people will fall for it when we inevitably get another R running the Bush/Youngkin "Compassionate Conservative" con.

I don't think any modern Republicans can keep up the facade long enough to do that anymore.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A known quantity. Or possibly just a quantity at all. Everyone seems to have just come to completely ignore her existence because it's easier than any other alternative.

The Democrats spent the last two decades basically preparing the way for President Hillary and have absolutely no idea what to do when it turns out that was not an option. They've gone scorched earth on their junior members for so long they have no bench, and what appeals to the party leadership appeals to no one else in the world.

There's plenty of mid-tier members who'd normally be prime candidates for moving up. Back in 2008 or so, the Dems thought they had a fantastic bench, with plenty of amazing rising stars with impeccable political resumes.

The problem is that for the most part, they came up through the ranks in the 90s and 00s when Clinton had ushered in conservative control of the party, and a lot of them learned all the wrong lessons from that. Also, many of them were either blatantly corrupt or huge assholes. A lot of them ended up watching their political careers drown in the stormy waters of the 2010s, and those who've managed to stay afloat have absolutely no idea how to navigate the currents of the 2020s.

As unbelievable as it may seem, party officials and consultants genuinely thought for a while that people like Harris and Klobuchar were future president material.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Main Paineframe posted:

As unbelievable as it may seem, party officials and consultants genuinely thought for a while that people like Harris and Klobuchar were future president material.
its not that unbelievable that they aint as clever as they think

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nobody knows who is on track for the presidency anymore, given how the oddsmakers discounted both Trump and Biden. All anyone has to do is win the nomination in a year that the public is more pissed at the party in power, and every primary is a clown car.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 3, 2022

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
A veteran worker in the railroad industry who is also a union official wrote this overview for this website:

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2022/Items/Dec02-3.html

quote:

Many people outside of the industry do not understand the time demands placed on rail workers. In the transportation departments of railroads (locomotive engineers and conductors who crew and operate trains), many workers are required to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A typical "trip," when a worker is called for duty, usually consists of a 12-hour work period ending in a location 100-300 miles from their home base. They then observe a 10-24 hour rest period at a hotel or dormitory before working on another train for 12 hours in transit to their "home" terminal. Upon completion of this 36-48 round trip, they can be required to begin their next tour of duty in 10 hours time. While some federal regulations are in place regarding rest, they are measures which are in place to provide for safe operations and do not address quality of life. For many, 72 hours on duty, with 48 hours in a hotel, and 48 hours at home, is a typical week. SMART-TD is one of the unions representing transportation workers that rejected the tentative agreement. Many workers in the maintenance of way departments work on location for days on end hundreds of miles from home, and they also work shifts that can be continued indefinitely. 20-hour shifts can be required unexpectedly due to weather events or mainline service interruptions. BMWED, which voted to reject the tentative agreement, represents workers in this department.

These work conditions are not new to railroads. What is new in the last 5 years is the implementation of draconian attendance/disciplinary programs and "Precision Scheduled Railroading" (PSR), a management strategy which seeks to boost profits through maximizing the use of assets while minimizing expenses. PSR has resulted in significantly fewer trains, while the ones that do run are longer and heavier. This makes the jobs workers do more taxing, dangerous and difficult. PSR has reduced maintenance on locomotives, cars, and rail infrastructure to bare minimums; these reductions have led to an increase in injuries and equipment failures, which create delays for customers, adjacent communities and the network itself. Railroads see their employees both as assets to be maximized and expenses to be limited. To that end, the PSR era (beginning in 2018) has seen a 30% reduction in the size of the work force, while year-in and year-out, the industry has moved the same amount of freight and posted record profits each year. To maximize the amount of time each remaining employee spends on the job, punitive points systems for attendance have been unilaterally implemented. BNSF Railway's "HiViz" policy has been especially noteworthy, prompting hundreds of career employees to resign. The quality of service to customers has plummeted in the PSR era. The decline in service has resulted in investigations and hearings led by the Surface Transportation Board and by congressional committees.

Some of the workers are on call 24/7. That's absurd. Their schedule is grueling. Getting paid six figures is nice, but with that kind of schedule, ugh. The policies set forth by the railroads don't help, either, when they are losing long-time employees.

quote:

Union leadership was clear upon presenting the tentative agreement that they did not endorse the terms, but felt compelled to offer membership a chance to vote on the terms. Leadership was convinced that pursuant to the 1926 Rail Labor Act, Congress would act to impose terms on September 16 before a strike could significantly disrupt operations. Such action would also deny rank and file membership any opportunity to directly weigh in on terms. After the final ratification voting totals were announced on November 21, with 4 unions rejecting the tentative agreement, the strike date of December 9 was set. Rail workers and their union leaders have understood throughout the bargaining process that the railroads have stuck to their position in the belief that Congress would never allow a work disruption to threaten the fragile supply chain. If railroads believed themselves to be vulnerable to the losses that could be incurred by any other industry vulnerable to a workers' strike, they'd have never have held the positions that they did.

The rhetoric and resoluteness that came from the President and Congressional leadership this week was shocking to railroad workers. We understand that the consequences of a work stoppage could be damaging not only to the economy but also to the political fortunes of those in power. Nonetheless, rail unions have been tireless advocates for Democratic candidates and policies for a long time. The willingness of leadership to subvert the collective bargaining process appears to many of us to be a betrayal of both our loyalty and their stated principles. It also appears to play into the Republican narrative that Democrats are only concerned with the concerns of "elites," and have turned their back on the working class. The House's approval of H.R. 100, imposing contractual terms on us, is a major disappointment. Perhaps the progressive wing of the party feels the same shock and disappointment we do, because H.R. 149, advanced by Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), mandating 7 paid sick days for rail workers, came as major surprise. H.R. 149 also passed yesterday on nearly straight party lines. If the Senate approves both bills, rail labor will see it as a major victory. If the tentative agreement had included 7 paid sick days, it would have been overwhelmingly ratified across the board. However if H.R. 100 passes and H.R. 149 is either defeated or tabled, it will be felt as a painful blow to rail workers. It is also likely that if H.R. 149 fails to be enacted, many rail worker will see it as ploy that was designed to provide Democrats cover for denying us the right to strike and to continue bargaining for our contract, while shifting blame to the Republicans.

The workers feel that the Democrats betrayed them and I would, too. Many of these workers have supported Democrats for decades only for the party to stab them in the back. I believe this is going to turn out bad for the democrats in the long run. Union members will now see Democrats as duplicitous and be less likely to vote for them. This is probably the best example of democrats turning their backs on workers so far.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Yeah I've already encountered "but you ses, biden's a union guy!" when I bring this up. When you get to the crux of why act against the workers rather than the company, it's "because of money" but in a sympathetic way. Like that is some justifying motivation I'm too dumb to see. It's pretty crushing to hear people adopt that attitude

It's less a realist "your condemnation doesn't matter" and more a defensive "you can't condemn the inherent way". Beyond frustrating especially with beer involved.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think it would be funny if Trump sued Twitter for damages arguing he would be making way more money if he were president.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

theCalamity posted:

The workers feel that the Democrats betrayed them and I would, too. Many of these workers have supported Democrats for decades only for the party to stab them in the back. I believe this is going to turn out bad for the democrats in the long run. Union members will now see Democrats as duplicitous and be less likely to vote for them. This is probably the best example of democrats turning their backs on workers so far.
Starting in 2016 a lot of union members backed Trump over Hillary, and I think this is partly because of unions getting hosed over repeatedly but continuing to support Dems, which the membership has grown tired of. I don't really blame them, but the problem is that the GOP is far worse on labor issues and doesn't deserve their vote either.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think it's less to do with Democrats loving over unions and more to do with racism

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Re: Georgia voting

The main change is that Georgia moved to electronic ballots a few cycles ago, which get printed in one machine and counted in another (this is “normal”) and not particularly egregious.

The cumbersome part is what’s called “crediting the voter” which is where their registration status get checked (are they inactive, did they move county, is their citizenship pending, etc.). Only after all of that is checked by a human can you actually allow them to vote (which is where they get the green card that person mentions).

Up until the mid-terms, all the voter had to was scan their ID and for 99.9% of the people their info popped up on screen and the poll worker just credited them and sent them on their way.

For the general, the state decided for some reason that we couldn’t scan IDs anymore, every voter has to fill out a manual form with their info (name, address, DOB) and sign. A poll worker has to verify the the info, find the voter in the system, manually fill in that information into the form EVEN THOUGH ITS ALREADY IN THE SYSTEM. Only after all that can they credit the voter.

Voters are slow to write poo poo down. Poll workers, who in many cases are retirees, are slow to find and enter information into the computer system.

The green cards you use to vote are generated by an iPad with an NFC reader, and generating the card takes 20-40 seconds per voter.

All that poo poo adds up, and that many manual steps leaves a lot room for fuckups. So as soon as you hit a certain number of voters, wait time starts compounding. That’s without even taking into account people who had outstanding ballots, or who don’t show up in the voter rolls, or whatever, who need special handling.

To mitigate the delays, Georgia expanded voting hours from 7am to 7pm. That’s 12 hour shifts but actually 13 because poll workers had to arrive 30 minutes early to set up and 30 mins late to leave.

They were also super short staffed in many areas so they had people traveling an hour or more to their assigned locations.

So people were working or traveling to work for more than half a day, 6 days a week, with a lunch break and two 15 minute breaks. People would just quit in the middle of they day without a word or just not turn up.

And of course people leave voting to the last second and so you had entire days with maybe 50 people coming in, and then a 500 person rush on Friday.

All because someone at SoS didn’t trust the ID scanners or whatever.

Edit: lol that was longer than I thought but gently caress I never want to be a poll worker in GA again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is that because of changes the GA legislature passed after 2020?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

BrainDance posted:

It's not the same hurdle but it is ridiculous being a Michigan voter outside Michigan. Though, we just made one improvement at least.

Ballots have to be mailed in, no fax, no email, and of course no proxy. Which can be a problem from the other side of the world. And, like yeah never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but is an even bigger problem when your clerk ghosts you and doesn't seem to get that I need my ballot in advance.

Its cost me decent money because I end up backed into a corner where my only option is the absolute fastest express.

Are you me? Because I had this exact. Same. loving. Experience.

Down to the incompetent clerk.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We're saying the same thing. As a potential President, no of course Harris isn't a known quantity. People can project their fears and hopes and anything in between on her, which I'm arguing is a far more dangerous position for us to be in with regards to her running for president as compared to if she ascended to the presidency due to Biden dying/resigning etc prior to the 2024 election.

In that situation the arguments either for or against her running for a full term would be far more substantive given we'd have some non-zero amount of observation of her in the role

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

dpkg chopra posted:

Re: Georgia voting

Up until the mid-terms, all the voter had to was scan their ID and for 99.9% of the people their info popped up on screen and the poll worker just credited them and sent them on their way.

For the general, the state decided for some reason that we couldn’t scan IDs anymore, every voter has to fill out a manual form with their info (name, address, DOB) and sign. A poll worker has to verify the the info, find the voter in the system, manually fill in that information into the form EVEN THOUGH ITS ALREADY IN THE SYSTEM. Only after all that can they credit the voter.

I’m a poll worker in Georgia and we were allowed to scan IDs for the midterms at my polling station, and mine got scanned when I Early Voted last week. Is that rule county dependent?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I've been having a hard time keeping up with all the news regarding the railway contract situation but is it certain that this congressional passage is actually going to avert a wildcat strike? Could a strike still happen?

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/12/01/reso-d01.html

Came across this statement from the Railroad Workers Rank and File Committee but I'm not actually certain what the mood is amongst the actual railroad employees affected by this, see plenty of editorials trying to downplay workers rights in favor of "the economy" but I'm struggling to get a proper read on how conductors, engineers, etc. actually feel about this and whether or not they're going to full-on accept this contract forced through at a point that they probably have the most leverage and attention in their hands in forever.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I've been having a hard time keeping up with all the news regarding the railway contract situation but is it certain that this congressional passage is actually going to avert a wildcat strike? Could a strike still happen?

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/12/01/reso-d01.html

Came across this statement from the Railroad Workers Rank and File Committee but I'm not actually certain what the mood is amongst the actual railroad employees affected by this, see plenty of editorials trying to downplay workers rights in favor of "the economy" but I'm struggling to get a proper read on how conductors, engineers, etc. actually feel about this and whether or not they're going to full-on accept this contract forced through at a point that they probably have the most leverage and attention in their hands in forever.

This seems to be a very small group of rail workers that has only recently started meeting, so I'm skeptical that anything will come of it. A recent NY Times article said wildcat strikes are not being organized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/30/business/freight-rail-labor-union.html

quote:

While some rail workers have weighed in on social media with calls for illegal wildcat strikes should Congress impose the agreement, local union officials said that such strikes are unlikely, and they were not aware of any meaningful effort to organize them.

Much more likely, they said, is an accelerated flow of workers out of an industry that, according to federal regulators, has lost nearly 30 percent of its employees over the past six years.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't wait for the new Can't Believe It's Not A Strike, when enough people just have had enough of this poo poo that everything grinds to a halt anyway. At least President Choochoos Are Awesome will finally have the opportunity to save the economy by driving a train himself.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Joburg posted:

I’m a poll worker in Georgia and we were allowed to scan IDs for the midterms at my polling station, and mine got scanned when I Early Voted last week. Is that rule county dependent?

Fulton County (which includes most of Metro Atlanta) stopped using the scanners in the General.

I haven’t worked the runoff but the tweet says they had him fill out the paper form so seems like it’s still the case.

I’m surprised they were even letting people prefill them while waiting, that was explicitly forbidden by the supervisors when I worked.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

dpkg chopra posted:

Fulton County (which includes most of Metro Atlanta) stopped using the scanners in the General.

I haven’t worked the runoff but the tweet says they had him fill out the paper form so seems like it’s still the case.

I’m surprised they were even letting people prefill them while waiting, that was explicitly forbidden by the supervisors when I worked.

That’s some bullshit.

I had to wait almost an hour to vote but the process went pretty fast when I got to the head of the line.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The no pre filling is just bizarre. It’s just the same info that’s on the ID, which is checked by the poll worker. There’s no avenue for fraud there.

The Fulton supervisors aren’t what you’d call Trump loving election deniers, either, so idk what’s going on there. Having that prefilled would save so much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Archonex posted:

This is overstating what happened by a large margin. The reality is a bit less generalizing of the party as a whole. From what I recall:

TL;DR: She basically quietly pulled a Sinema only with better PR and better strategies and more support in manipulating the party in the intervening years.

This is actually a pretty good summary, thanks. Still... kinda the same thing. Honestly, it's more that Sinema is pulling a Hillary.

It's been said that entire generations of the party are trained wrong, on purpose, as a joke, and you're seeing the results of this now.

Star Man posted:

I think it's less to do with Democrats loving over unions and more to do with racism

It can easily be both. Democrats are loving them over, and Republicans are offering racism. It's the only thing on the table.

Riptor posted:

We're saying the same thing. As a potential President, no of course Harris isn't a known quantity. People can project their fears and hopes and anything in between on her, which I'm arguing is a far more dangerous position for us to be in with regards to her running for president as compared to if she ascended to the presidency due to Biden dying/resigning etc prior to the 2024 election.

In that situation the arguments either for or against her running for a full term would be far more substantive given we'd have some non-zero amount of observation of her in the role

I'm more just making an extended, at this point tortured joke about Harris being a total nonentity. The first NPC Vice President indeed. But point there. I suspect you're probably more likely to see the even more farce version of the Hillary campaign above oscillating between the neoliberal line that appeals to nobody and desperate attempts at populism.

dpkg chopra posted:

The no pre filling is just bizarre. It’s just the same info that’s on the ID, which is checked by the poll worker. There’s no avenue for fraud there.

The Fulton supervisors aren’t what you’d call Trump loving election deniers, either, so idk what’s going on there. Having that prefilled would save so much time.

One of the things that makes voter suppression so widespread is that it's easy to convince process liberals that redundant and tedious box-checking and procedure is a good thing, like with means testing.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 4, 2022