Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Muir posted:

Holy poo poo! What makes your roof so complicated?
First, I'm way the hell out in the boonies, where the kids leave town for better jobs instead of going into the trades.

Second, it's an old house that has been expanded a lot, check out the roof angles.

Sirotan posted:

Does your insurance cover roof replacement if it's destroyed by an act of god? If it does, time to hide that bear's favorite foods under those shingles...
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sirotan posted:

Does your insurance cover roof replacement if it's destroyed by an act of god? If it does, time to hide that bear's favorite foods under those shingles...

Bears eating houses is covered; the problem is that, unless the shingles are so old & far gone that they are too brittle to lift to slip in & nail down new ones, all they'll pay for is to repair the roof.

If your ridge shingles were installed by drunken distracted marmosets it shouldn't cost too much to replace them. Of course, depends on the size of your roof, and if you're saying $65K, that's at least 100-squares (10,000-SF). And it's not that...

E: Oh yeah. No way, that is not complicated and I'm SWAGing that it's less than 25-squares.

What is legit expensive in roofing is number of squares, type of material, steep slopes, and those loving architectural nightmares that just waste a poo poo-ton of shingles to cut in.

That looks a lot like my house. I can't really tell the size, but if that's a road running alongside & not a runway for heavy jets, it's about the same size as mine. I got re-roofed at the end of 2019 for under ten grand including plywood decking & touch-up paint

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 3, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I hate putting up christmas lights! :argh:

I hate even more when an hour later a random 10 light section craps out and no matter how many bulbs your replace or those lil' fuse things, it won't fire up again.
This is also why I've only bought 9 foot lengths lately since the 75 footer is guaranteed to have dead spots after a few days.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Best thing I ever did was buy more commercial oriented, sealed outdoor LED lights, with screw together, o-ring sealed plugs between strands. About 7 years in and haven't had a single bulb or strand fail, compared to the almost annual replacement of normal strands.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ROJO posted:

Best thing I ever did was buy more commercial oriented, sealed outdoor LED lights, with screw together, o-ring sealed plugs between strands. About 7 years in and haven't had a single bulb or strand fail, compared to the almost annual replacement of normal strands.

100% agree. It's totally worth it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PainterofCrap posted:

That looks a lot like my house. I can't really tell the size, but if that's a road running alongside & not a runway for heavy jets, it's about the same size as mine. I got re-roofed at the end of 2019 for under ten grand including plywood decking & touch-up paint
The other thing that is quite expensive is getting roofing done in a remote area where all the roofing contractors are extremely busy, and where there aren't enough people in the trades to fill the open jobs. To say nothing of the pandemic shortage of materials, which continues.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
How "out in the boonies" are we talking about? Your $65k roof sounds like $30k roof, $35k "out in the boonies."

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

ROJO posted:

Link to some good ones?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'll let y'all know when I've gotten a formal bid.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

moana posted:

Link to some good ones?

I believe these are what I have link

There may be better options out there, but I have been happy with those for 8 years at this point.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Do good quality christmas lights go on sale after christmas? Or better question: when is the best time to buy them?

Bought a pile of cheap-rear end Philips LED lights from target way back, been working with those for a while. Hate them, but they've been good enough... starting to get tired of how harsh they look. Looking to upgrade, and it's a bit late for this year.

Eyeballing the Twinkly lights, particularly for the tree, but that's something that'll probably be a few years in the making for the cost. Probably just limit that to the tree and get some nicer ones for outside.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Do good quality christmas lights go on sale after christmas? Or better question: when is the best time to buy them?

I have not noticed any prices changes (other tan always more over time) for commercial lighting of any kind including the christmas type lighting we've been talking about here.

Discounts on christmas stuff seems to be largely the realm of retail type stores trying to clear inventory they don't want to sit on/store, which is not where these kinds of string come from.

I currently have the same one ROJO linked above (or startlingly similar) and the last few strings I ordered came from that same place.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

ROJO posted:

I believe these are what I have link

There may be better options out there, but I have been happy with those for 8 years at this point.

https://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/Commercial-25-LED-WarmSoft-White-Mini-Ice-M5-Christmas-Lights-Green-Wire-4-inch-Spacing--19141.htm

I will definitely get 100 feet of those mini lights over the Ace Hardware ones (that are only $2 cheaper) I have been getting. The adapters, extensions and accessories look solid too.

I did grab some of these at Ace today for my front patio fence so I'll see how they go.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/holiday/christmas-lights/9016700

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I ordered mine from 1000 bulbs. There not the same as those with the Waterproof connectors but I don't care. I bought three strings of 100' with bare sockets, 300 multi colored bulbs, two packs of plugs and outlets and a reel of green wire to make my own extension cords between strings for the exact fit. Took a couple of hours, the most painful part being putting the shingle connectors on each bulb. It's nice to be able to rear end my own outlets wherever, including mid string. I think I want to add one over the garage and light up a big wreath here.

Edit, I ordered the week of Thanksgiving and they had a 15% off coupon, it's up to 25% off now.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 3, 2022

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've been ordering bare SPT wire, sockets, plugs, and bulbs. That way I can cut strands to specific lengths and space the bulbs how I want them, plus swap out bulb colors. My wife likes to do Halloween lights, so I've got a bunch of purple and orange bulbs, plus the faceted red and white for Christmas.

This year I replaced the last strand of "close enough" that was on the front peak over the porch, with two cut strands that can be put up separately or together. I don't care if nobody else notices, I think it looks way better!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sticking with incandescent C9s for the time being. Thirty years ago I built lightboards out of pine & cedar painted white and hammered the strings to them, cut to fit & set up the house & garage so that I can hang them by myself in under an hour without a ladder. Over the years I've collected bulbs so I have a rotating stock of 500 or so & keep an eye out for them, supplemented with cheaper ones from China via 1000bulbs. Picked up an entire case of frosted bulbs from Frank's Garden Center on eBay for cheap (I was pissed when Frank's went out of business - they had a bangin' selection of outdoor holiday stuff)

The only issue I had was draping the 30' pine in my front yard; it took about 16-strings to do it, requiring six extension cords all tied to a 10-gauge cord wired into a very heavy dedicated receptacle on a converted water heater timer because it drew about 3600-watts. The tree died from a fungal infection so that was that.

It was a pain in the rear end to get the strings going using an extension pole & a home-made gaff but I still miss it.

Motronic posted:

Oh you've had the same "big pine in the front yard" problem I have.

I consider it a reason to buy a crappy old boom lift and spend way too much time and money restoring it so it can sit out in the woods and get used for exactly an hour twice a year.

If you have the room to maneuver one (my power feed passes between the tree and the house, so nope) consider renting one from Taylor Rental / local equipment place. I would have done it in a heartbeat as I have Y-BY near me & have rented scissor lifts from them.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 3, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh you've had the same "big pine in the front yard" problem I have.

I consider it a reason to buy a crappy old boom lift and spend way too much time and money restoring it so it can sit out in the woods and get used for exactly an hour twice a year.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Build a serious tree fort in those very woods

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Build a serious tree fort in those very woods

Hrmmmm......

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
heh, I went the opposite way after my retail strings started dying. My roof is 8 100 foot strands of 300led 12v thin copper wire fairy lights from aliexpress at $10/ea. Only on season 3 of them, but they seem to be holding up. Also fully sealed because of their construction, and the efficiency is kind of incredible. 12 watts total for 2400 "lights" and the effect from the ground is as good as a mini incandescent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So far this week we've had well pump out, toilet out, window leak, roller chain broken by cat, major roof problems.

Today my husband and I both tested positive for COVID. Is there an anti-lottery ticket I can buy?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So far this week we've had well pump out, toilet out, window leak, roller chain broken by cat, major roof problems.

Today my husband and I both tested positive for COVID. Is there an anti-lottery ticket I can buy?

Holy poo poo this has been a week for you. Should I just send you a sump pump or something? How does this gofundme work? :)

E: not that it makes it any better for you but this is this sump pump I'm dealing with right now:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Sticking with incandescent C9s for the time being

with a display large enough for a rotating stock of 500, tru-tones are actually going to pay for themselves

https://tru-tone.com/

It's what I use at the roofline and they are as good visibly as incandescent. Warm white filament-style LED in a colored ceramic shell.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Qwijib0 posted:

heh, I went the opposite way after my retail strings started dying. My roof is 8 100 foot strands of 300led 12v thin copper wire fairy lights from aliexpress at $10/ea. Only on season 3 of them, but they seem to be holding up. Also fully sealed because of their construction, and the efficiency is kind of incredible. 12 watts total for 2400 "lights" and the effect from the ground is as good as a mini incandescent.

I ain't stringin all that
or
I'm happy for U though

(looks amazing!)

Qwijib0 posted:

with a display large enough for a rotating stock of 500, tru-tones are actually going to pay for themselves

https://tru-tone.com/

It's what I use at the roofline and they are as good visibly as incandescent. Warm white filament-style LED in a colored ceramic shell.

I ordered a sampling, which is all I can do as they are sold out. If they look as good as they seem to, then no wonder that they can't keep up.

I'm not a luddite or anything, just have yet to find an LED in the C9 size that looks nearly as warm & inviting as incandescent that doesn't totally break the bank. The last time I cast around for such things, they were $6-$8 apiece. Arguably worth it if they last...but not yet.

These might do it, I'll probably mix them in with my existing. The appeal of longevity is strong; I have part of my garage permanently strung, and one of the perennial chores is changing burnt-out bulbs. Even for this month, some will go...and I haven't done the house yet!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 4, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've had great luck with larger LED bulbs, I just buy the GE strings at Lowes. They look fantastic, here's a string of 150 LED lights for $30
https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-StayBright-150-Count-37-25-ft-Multicolor-LED-Plug-In-Christmas-String-Lights/1000272559
We're roughly 5 years into our current strands and haven't had any issues at all

They have another line that has some purple bulbs in the mix, I really like that addition for our outdoor lights.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm not a luddite or anything, just have yet to find an LED in the C9 size that looks nearly as warm & inviting as incandescent that doesn't totally break the bank. The last time I cast around for such things, they were $6-$8 apiece. Arguably worth it if they last...but not yet.

These might do it, I'll probably mix them in with my existing. The appeal of longevity is strong; I have part of my garage permanently strung, and one of the perennial chores is changing burnt-out bulbs. Even for this month, some will go...and I haven't done the house yet!

I had been searching for years, also having a stash of older bulbs because LEDs up to the introduction of tru-tones used a colored diode creating a "cold" monochromatic color. When he was developing them some of the first batches were ruined because the manufacturer had "helpfully" put a colored LED in them. The midcentury-era C9/C7 look is a uniquely American nostalgia and that's probably why no large manufacturer until this point produced in their mind an insane product-- using glass to color an LED rather than just use the colored LED.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Will walking a mile on your roof in near freezing temperatures cause it to leak faster

Reroofing $65k goon should hire whoever did your roof lights they clearly know what's up

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
So I finally got my nerves up to tie in the supply lines for my new utility sink. I managed to sweat in two 3/4 tees, one hot one cold, with no leaks on the first shot. It was going so well. While I had the water off I also took the opportunity to replace the saddle valve for the fridge supply with a real valve.

That 1/2" copper tee took two hours as I thought it was dry and it decided to start dripping on me. It was on a dead end to the kitchen and I figured it easily drained down while I was doing the rest. I had to blow it out and clean it all up. But of course before I did that I hosed around for like an hour trying everything but that.

Water is back on. No leaks. The only real issue now is I bought the wrong supply hose for the utility sink. The drat thing came with 12" supply lines that would truly be impossible to connect, as that doesn't even extend lower than the tub. Dickheads.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I have a Samsung range that the PO's had when we bought the house in 2020. Not too long ago the oven stopped heating up, or only getting to a certain temp and then crapping out. Doing some online research I decided to try to replace the ignitor which I read could cause these things.

Well that hit a speed bump because one of the screws holding in the part the ignitor screws into is completely immovable. Other people had the same issue and had to either cut the screw out or dremel the screw to use a different tool to get it out. I don't have the knowledge or the tools to do that poo poo.

Has anyone had a similar problem with a more manageable solution for a mechanical idiot?

If I end up having to replace the oven, is there a guaranteed winner similar to the Bosch dishwasher? :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comfortador posted:

I have a Samsung range that the PO's had when we bought the house in 2020. Not too long ago the oven stopped heating up, or only getting to a certain temp and then crapping out. Doing some online research I decided to try to replace the ignitor which I read could cause these things.

Well that hit a speed bump because one of the screws holding in the part the ignitor screws into is completely immovable. Other people had the same issue and had to either cut the screw out or dremel the screw to use a different tool to get it out. I don't have the knowledge or the tools to do that poo poo.

Has anyone had a similar problem with a more manageable solution for a mechanical idiot?

If I end up having to replace the oven, is there a guaranteed winner similar to the Bosch dishwasher? :)

This is likely what will work: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG Potentially just a better screwdriver/correct size screwdriver would work as well. I've found that most people don't actually know how phillips screws are supposed to work and destroy them using drivers that are too small or simply worn out.

But I fail to see how an ignitor would cause that behavior. Unless it's responsible for more than being an ignitor it sounds like you're after the wrong thing. (I am not familiar with that model)

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Motronic posted:

This is likely what will work: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG Potentially just a better screwdriver/correct size screwdriver would work as well. I've found that most people don't actually know how phillips screws are supposed to work and destroy them using drivers that are too small or simply worn out.

But I fail to see how an ignitor would cause that behavior. Unless it's responsible for more than being an ignitor it sounds like you're after the wrong thing. (I am not familiar with that model)

Well I'm certainly no handy-man so all I had was my google-fu skills. I found a lot of articles like this:

https://www.davesmithappliance.com/samsung-oven-not-heating/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comfortador posted:

Well I'm certainly no handy-man so all I had was my google-fu skills. I found a lot of articles like this:

https://www.davesmithappliance.com/samsung-oven-not-heating/

So the ignitor is also the gas valve - that changes things. Like I said, not familiar with those models. With that information it sounds more plausible.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Motronic posted:

So the ignitor is also the gas valve - that changes things. Like I said, not familiar with those models. With that information it sounds more plausible.

Thanks man, I have that tool heading my way and I'll give it a shot.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Modern gas ovens use a hot surface igniter as both the ignition and the safety mechanism of the gas oven.

The hot surface igniter itself, when powered, glows red hot and will conduct a current to open the gas valve to supply the burner with gas. While it's hot, any gas that touches it will combust, which is how the gas burner is lit, and stays lit. If for whatever reason the hot surface igniter is not working and not hot, current cannot flow through it and the main gas valve will stay closed, avoiding the dangerous scenario of having the burner spewing gas into your home.

These igniters do die with time as the hot and cool cycles wear them down. What you describe as being the issue sounds like it's probably the igniter slowly failing, and you're on the right track to fix it!

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 5, 2022

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with expanding-foam insulation, the kind they pipe in to walls? Most of my 2nd floor is either uninsulated or not insulated at all since only half of it faces the attic. I'd rather not tear off every single existing wall to have batts installed, so I'm toying with at least getting this much done to maintain a comfortable temp without too much extra heating bill $.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

Anyone have experience with expanding-foam insulation, the kind they pipe in to walls? Most of my 2nd floor is either uninsulated or not insulated at all since only half of it faces the attic. I'd rather not tear off every single existing wall to have batts installed, so I'm toying with at least getting this much done to maintain a comfortable temp without too much extra heating bill $.

That is not the type of insulation that is typically put in finished walls. You're thinking of blown in cellulose most likely.

But in this situation it's unclear what you're talking about. This sentence makes little sense and requires some explanation if you want advice: "Most of my 2nd floor is either uninsulated or not insulated at all since only half of it faces the attic." Besides the obvious first part, what does "faces the attic" mean? Walls? Ceilings? If so are the unfinished on the attic side?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

That is not the type of insulation that is typically put in finished walls. You're thinking of blown in cellulose most likely.

I was thinking of this stuff - not sure if it's cellulose or some other compound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__8ompVQG6M

Motronic posted:

But in this situation it's unclear what you're talking about. This sentence makes little sense and requires some explanation if you want advice: "Most of my 2nd floor is either uninsulated or not insulated at all since only half of it faces the attic." Besides the obvious first part, what does "faces the attic" mean? Walls? Ceilings? If so are the unfinished on the attic side?

I meant the walls face the attic, which is insulated - my bad, it does read a bit janky. The ceilings are under the roof, not fully accessible from the attic.

Here's a rough lovely diagram. Pink rectangles are insulated. Attic floors are batt-insulated up to the joists.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

I was thinking of this stuff - not sure if it's cellulose or some other compound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__8ompVQG6M

I meant the walls face the attic, which is insulated - my bad, it does read a bit janky. The ceilings are under the roof, not fully accessible from the attic.

Here's a rough lovely diagram. Pink rectangles are insulated. Attic floors are batt-insulated up to the joists.

I wasn't aware there was an injection spray foam product, but of course there is.

So it's still not clear if the walls facing the attic are insulated or not, I'm guessing yes and if not just get in there with batt insulation. The exterior walls and non-accessible ceiling can be handled with blown in insulation of the variety that is common in your area. You'll need to get several quotes and find out just how much it will cost and what you will be left with because they're going to need to make a whole bunch of holes either inside or outside. Where to do that depends on access and the materials involved. If you have vinyl siding they should just be pulling some of it and doing this from the outside for example.

A wildcard that can make quotes vary a lot is what level, if any, of repair will be done. It could be anything from "nothing" to "we'll have sheetrock people coming in and patch and paint your rooms for you". The cost differences will be very large.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I wasn't aware there was an injection spray foam product, but of course there is.

So it's still not clear if the walls facing the attic are insulated or not, I'm guessing yes and if not just get in there with batt insulation. The exterior walls and non-accessible ceiling can be handled with blown in insulation of the variety that is common in your area. You'll need to get several quotes and find out just how much it will cost and what you will be left with because they're going to need to make a whole bunch of holes either inside or outside. Where to do that depends on access and the materials involved. If you have vinyl siding they should just be pulling some of it and doing this from the outside for example.

A wildcard that can make quotes vary a lot is what level, if any, of repair will be done. It could be anything from "nothing" to "we'll have sheetrock people coming in and patch and paint your rooms for you". The cost differences will be very large.

The walls facing the attic are insulated, yes.

The outside is aluminum siding. This is my level of dumbness here: can they take that off to get at the exterior facing walls? Or once it's off, it's not usable anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

The walls facing the attic are insulated, yes.

The outside is aluminum siding. This is my level of dumbness here: can they take that off to get at the exterior facing walls? Or once it's off, it's not usable anymore?

Holy poo poo, how long as that siding been on? I haven't seen AL siding in decades.

And no, it's not coming off nice. And lol at even considering trying to match it. They're probably gonna have to do this from the inside.