Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
What does old age even mean, in that context? 40+? 50+? Older? If you are capable of doing these things and get "old", why would you stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I heard a podcast the other day and it made me think… it was the guy from eliteFTS I think, and another self described washed up meathead, and they were discussing training at old age/for long term.

So EliteFTS guy says he has a list of 5 exercises he doesn’t do anymore, it included squats, overhead shoulder press, and dips, and I forget the other two(heavy bench press?). Deadlift wasn’t on the list, which I found interesting.

And it’s true, you usually don’t see old guys doing those with heavy weight, if at all. Just something that stuck in my mind now that I’m older. I see the guy on SquatU saying everyone should squat deep and so on, but he’s pretty young. I definitely feel my knees now.

Another thing I learned from reading a Stuart McGill book that seemed very controversial was that yoga isn’t a fix for everyone if you have back problems, that people with thicker bones will injure their back much easier when doing bends than lithe persons.

No. Dave and his buddies are great but their experience as geared (in more than one way) elite powerlifters has absolutely no relevance to the general gym goer population squatting 200-400 lbs. You never see old guys doing heavy squats because they might be dumb boomers who think squats are bad for your knees, or otherwise just the fact that they've been alive for longer means that, numerically, they have had more chances to accumulate injuries that prevent them from doing certain lifts. The yoga thing is neither here nor there but Stuart McGill is a stupid hack who thinks experiments on dead pig spines are transferable to living humans. No movement (within your passive ROM) is inherently dangerous

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Dude just about guillotined himself today failing a box squat. I don't know why so many people squat OUTSIDE the rack with no way to save themselves. I hope he learned his lesson.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I squat outside a rack by not having a rack. Squat stands for life

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
He was back in the gym today and asked me to spot him, which is incredibly awkward to do with one person. He got one rep at 385lb, but got stuck on the box going for it again (he didn't listen to me when he should've come up).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Are there any brands of inexpensive creatine I should look out for that actually mixes in water and doesn't leave sediment at the bottom of the bottle?

What is the best YouTube video out there that goes into the do's and don'ts of the deadlift? I'm old, short and concerned with injuring myself doing it wrong.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I doubt it. You get what you pay for. Just splash the last sip around down the sediment like a duck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Doctor Butts posted:

Are there any brands of inexpensive creatine I should look out for that actually mixes in water and doesn't leave sediment at the bottom of the bottle?

What is the best YouTube video out there that goes into the do's and don'ts of the deadlift? I'm old, short and concerned with injuring myself doing it wrong.

Deadlift

Also, just mix the creatine into your protein shake. You won't notice the graininess.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I just bought a bag of Bulk Supplements creatine monohydrate and it's fine. The last tub of Body Tech brand I got started clumping for some reason so I switched.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Youtube now pushes some stupid "shorts" when not logged in.

Literally the opposite of what I need :argh:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Why wouldn't someone want shapely calves?!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

mobby_6kl posted:

Just do the exercises backwards?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

mobby_6kl posted:

18m views :dawkins101:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

My wife heard me complaining about my bar bending so it looks like ya boy might be getting an Ohio Power Bar for Christmas.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

mobby_6kl posted:

That leg man. Obvious photoshop and not sexy at all. Jesus christ that should be a crime and I am far from a body positivity activist.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lol

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClR3IhgLaH6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Benched 160kg closegrip.
Felt like 5kg more would have also worked with a proper grind.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Be sure to alternate your JO arm, lads.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

* entire thread runs to look at themselves in the mirror from behind *

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is that you

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ohio Power Bar has been delivered, along with some new cuffs and a bonus pair of shorts???

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Shorts or jorts

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Shorts

Gonna give them to my wife 'cause she'll look cute in them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

prove it

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

New pr boys, 10 pullups. :smugdog:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Grats! I've lost a considerable amount of strength over the last five months or so due to school and work, but now that I'm done with my Master's degree, I plan on starting a new regimen on the 16th and build it all back.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pants

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

yoga pants with "juicy" across the butt?

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Trying to be more deliberate about getting jacked in 2023. The bulksupplements.com shipment should be arriving any day...I'm gonna try to be diligent about using em and actually track nutrition going forward.

Benched moderate weight without pain the other day, so that was cool too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

"Hydrosonic. Missiles."

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Congrats.

A couple months ago I reaggravated a 3 year old injury because I tried to do a single one. Still too fat.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Lifted on shift today, Day 1 of running the new supps.

Squat 395x5x3, felt pretty good about this, like I could have been doing more. I'll likely test some things out when I go to triples next week.

Pendlay row 245x5x5

Bench 265x5x2..felt really strong on this too, but we made a run and I didn't feel like getting warmed back up. Plus I could feel some kind of connective tissue stress building so I cut it early.

Having some evening protein now. I'll try to start keeping better track of diet.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I hate cutting because all of my lifts remain static and I'm hungry all the time and cant get hammered. Major loving fail

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

I hate cutting because all of my lifts remain static and I'm hungry all the time and cant get hammered. Major loving fail

Is it winter where you are? Why you cutting homie?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

JamMaster Flash posted:

Maybe he's depressed

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

JamMaster Flash posted:

6 months of maintenance and I'm on winter break from college, it is time.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
wait, a current something awful poster is young enough to be in college?! we still got it, baby!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

wait, a current something awful poster is young enough to be in college?! we still got it, baby!

I was doing my Master's up until December and I'm 36. Could just be that.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm 25 and in my final year of undergrad, and lemme tell ya, university gyms SUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Three days deep back at the gime after three weeks of holidays and let me tell you my calves are cursing my father's mistake