Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Some of the most striking things I ever read in GiP were in a thread years ago about basic training where people recounted black soldiers on their course marvelling at owning multiple pairs of shoes for the first time. One USAF guy remembered that when, what I suppose were rural, southern and poor, black members of his unit were painting a fence or something similar, they started singing work songs. That’s so uncomfortable, I mean, it’s really hard to
imagine that, but as you said it’s a reflection of society.

Which isn’t to say that somewhat similar dynamics don’t play out here with rural Quebec, New Brunswick and Newfoundland soldiers, that you can see differences in Canadian society that are basically invisible from Toronto or whatever. The class, regional, linguistic and other stratifications in Canadian society are there too, there are imbalances in officers and other ranks, indigenous people have separate enlistment programs etc. but it’s hard to wrap my head around how large race looms in America.

One thing worth pointing out is that motivations for enlistment, or at least type of enlistment, vary across language, gender, class and race. The working class and minorities, which as you said can often be the same thing, approach service in a way that has a distinct pattern.

They often go into combat support and (more-so) combat service support roles, the labour jobs, for short period enlistments. Learn to cook, become a mechanic, plumber, electrician, carpenter, whatever - and then get out. Here, that’s 3-4 years, after which they go into public life with skills and something to put on their resume. I’m not great at explaining it, but it’s a very pragmatic use of the military that fits with the economic draft, since they’re returning to civie street with job skills.

In Canada that pattern is shared with women and Francophones but I’m not confident in how these things are interconnected. Just that I’ve seen the pie charts over and over again. Quite a few of the women who serve for short periods get married and leave or become military wives and that’s a whole thing I don’t feel qualified to touch on or try to explain. People still joke about “the 3 reasons why women join the army”.

For one example, combat support and combat service support units in Western Canada were losing enlisted men to the oil patch as soon as they got their red seals, journeymen tickets, AZ etc. To the point where units started deliberately withholding them and the idea was floated of the military deliberately cutting part of the skills training so they wouldn’t be properly certified. This goes back to the “solutions” to retention problems being misguided to malicious.

They have also recently done the same to paid training and education for Doctors, Nurses, Physiotherapists, Lawyers and Dentists to the point where you need to be trained and qualified before joining the military - and they’re marvelling why none are. I can’t wrap my head around this, so if anyone can shine a light I’d appreciate it. Why the hell would someone who is already a doctor become a Medical Officer? They want Chaplains to already have a Masters of Divinity Studies.

Other than people who feel a sense of duty, and are willing to sacrifice civilian employment, who are they hoping to attract to these high skilled and sought after positions? They’re so clearly sabotaging themselves I don’t understand it other than idk they want to means test the positions? But that doesn’t really make sense either.

On the other hand, officers and combat arms enlisted men skew male, middle class, white, English, two or more generations Canadian. Traditionally the Long Service Professional enlists or takes his commission for life - 18-25 years. There’s way more than I can get into here but this probably touches on something Max Weber observed in the Protestant Work Ethic about a “vocation” or “calling”. This was more consciously expressed in the Late Victorian and Edwardian Army, but you can take upper middle class Anglos out of the Anglican Church but you can’t take the Anglican Church out of the upper middle class Anglos. So, these are people who make a life out of the military. Some jumped ship for the tar sands, but not at the same rate. You can argue that’s because they didn’t have transferable job skills, but that’s the point - they don’t go into it for the job skills.

Where this gets complicated is questions of the ability of the other groups to have this career if they wanted. The “fit in or gently caress off” culture and everything else might mean an indigenous person from the territories couldn’t be a moustachioed Regimental Sergeant Major if they wanted to, or a woman hang tough in Battalion as a company commander before getting an ADC billet. The military up to the 70’s and 80’s stalled out Francophone officers’ careers at the Regimental level, beyond which they’d be in command of English troops and formations, so as you said about black generals, this is not all about preference.

I just want to cap this by saying there’s an old book about the RCMP, which is facing identical problems, written for a foreign audience, and when describing the personnel system they say: “Competition for the RCMP is intense, and the Force is able to pick and choose from among the best of those seeking a law enforcement career”

and it’s that they act as if that’s still true without earning it - failing the nation, public, members, Sam Steele and Vimy Ridge - that galls me. They’re acting as if they have the “pick of Canada’s men” without understanding why people believed only the best earned the Red Serge and pushed themselves to be worthy of it. Cunningham said during the evacuation of Crete, when army generals feared the Royal Navy would lose too many ships (the RN lost 12 fleet and 7 auxiliary ships and saved over 18k soldiers) “It takes the Navy three years to build a ship. It will take three hundred years to build a new tradition.” Well, what the gently caress do they want here?

I have often caught poo poo on CSPAM for my belief in this, and deservedly so, but these institutions rely on people acting as they have meaning, not assuming it.

dont care

the more degraded the CAF gets the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

he has stairs in his house and poo poo his pants :raise:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gripweed posted:

I haven’t been paying attention, how’s the war been going for the past few weeks? Last I heard, the Russians were falling back and had lost control of a couple major cities.

it seems like Russia has basically lost and can't really hope to do anything more than hold on to the territory they/the republics controlled in January but there's still plenty of killing and dying to be done until everyone comes to terms

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m just saying if the think tank and media people want some sort of titanic confrontation with Russia and/or China, they can’t take for granted that just saying the words “Queenston Heights” and “Lundy’s Lane” will be enough.

Their foreign policy goals are at odds with their vision of society.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

indigi posted:

it seems like Russia has basically lost and can't really hope to do anything more than hold on to the territory they/the republics controlled in January but there's still plenty of killing and dying to be done until everyone comes to terms

Man how does Russia get to keep being a country after this?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gripweed posted:

as it turns out many countries invade other countries and kinda gently caress it up and do it badly, then declare victory and go home to very few long-term consequences

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m just saying if the think tank and media people want some sort of titanic confrontation with Russia and/or China, they can’t take for granted that just saying the words “Queenston Heights” and “Lundy’s Lane” will be enough.

they could try Laputan Machine ?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Very carefully :dadjoke:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐂 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 posted:

“Kherson Effect”

Kherson.

From the very start the battle for control of the right bank was viewed as an analogue of El Alamein from the political point of view by the countries supporting Ukraine - ukrainian army timing control of the city could have been a tipping point in this particular theatre.

To be more precise, we are talking about liberating more than 50% of the territories occupied by Russian Federation since 24th of february, as well as defeating the most combat capable parts of the russian army concentrated there, (the core of the battlegroup on the right bank was composed of airborne sections, and nobody planned to let them simply leave the city).

In a word, things looked most beneficial for AFU, and, of course, such an event must result in (and did) a significant increase in restructuring in military and economic aid by Europe and USA, intended for Ukraine.

In the beginning I named this the "Kherson Effect'' exactly when, November 10th, the first results of the battle for the city could be seen. Only then did, when the russian armies withdraw from the right bank of Dnepr, USA, Norway, and Netherlands announced an offer of 660 million dollars of military aid for Ukraine, Spain and Bulgaria announced training missions for the Ukrainian army, Czechia and Kiev signed an agreement about a mutual defense cluster.

The situation, in a word, was extraordinarily beneficial for Ukraine, and "Kherson Effect" entered a new plane - Ukrainian command, deciding that the long awaited tipping point was finally reached...the process of withdrawal of various sections from the line of contact started.

Some porption of the units were withdrawn for rotation, and a more significant mass of manpower was withdrawn to Europe to participate in training programms, formation of new brigades, the the countries of the NATO bloc were organizing. The specific size of the servicemen withdrawn, is not known to me - I only know that the number is greater than 10 thousand soldiers. In total the countries of the alliance announced missions, that over the course of winter-spring period must increase the qualifications and readines of 55 thousand Ukrainian servicemen (side note, due to the events that will be explored bellow, the missions are expanding). Considering the strategic disposition at the given moment it is possible to estimate 15-17 thousand soldiers withdrawn to Europe.

Such actions, however, proved premature and hasty. Ukrainian military command clearly made a mistake in their estimated loss of combat ability of Russian units, ability to build up reserves and to concentrate them at the frontline. Euphoria from taking Kherson also blinded their eyes to another key fact: Russian sections of the right bank were not destroyed - they withdrew without logistical problems (logistics, I'll remind you, is an encompassing science - it includes not only supply of material, but also rotation of manpower).

Accumulation of multiple factors led to the winter campaign, which was expected to be a period of general quiet, beginning completely differently - with Bakhmut.

@atomiccherry 💯
(from t.me/atomiccherry/519, via tgsa)

𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐂 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 posted:

“Psychological symbolism of Bakhmut”

Over the course of the recent months Bakhmut became an unattractive point on a map of the military theatre - no significant movement was observed on this section of the front, and the city itself lost operational, and strategic meaning due to the general state of Russian advance in Donbas.

Nevertheless, russian forces continued a low intensity advance in this direction, continued to concentrate reserves and a significant mass of manpower.

It's possible, the fight for the settlment would have continued to have a purely local character, but one factor entered the play, the above defined "Kherson Effect"; in light of that success the Ukrainian military command left itself without a large portion of reserves, completely ignoring the mounting pressure on Bakhmut (ignoring it to the point that no fortifications were built around the settlement during summer, that under normal circumstances appears to be standard practice for AFU).

In previous months of fighting the ukrainian army was rather effective in avoiding battles of attrition, by using a system of echelon defenses and superiority in manpower - in the event of mounting pressure on one or another section of the front the units withdrew to the next defensive line, then the attention of russian generals would shift to other directions of operations (for example during battles for Lysychansk-Severodonetsk agglomeration AFU at the same time attempted attacks in Kherson and Kharkiv directions - this effectively distracted Russian forces).

But with Bakhmut things went differently: from one point of view, at the moment the AFU does not possess the forces for a diversionary strike, from another, after a series of successes, achieved during the fall campaign, they're unwilling to abandon the settlement. Put simply, the city became a focal point of so called "psychological symbolism" - it does not possess a significant meaning from the point of view of military art, but the battle for it can't be finished due to the heightened social expectations (before this we could observe an analogues picture with battles for Snake Island).

Russian command, on the other hand, since spring period strived to create exactly this situation, in which Ukrainian armies would be forced to expend large quantities of resources and manpower, striving to hold some region of the front - in a word, conceptually we're talking about an operation that's closer in spirit to the first world war: drawing the opponent into a prolonged battle of attrition.

To understand the question - over the past weeks forces of 57th, 65th mechanised brigades, 95th AAB, 40th artillery brigade, 5th separate assault regiment of AFU, 80th AAB, and also parts of Dnepr teroborona. It's not difficult to guess, this level of activity of tied to the difficult situation of the defenders, and the recent scandalous statements by european politicians, news media, and representatives of military departments, are tied to the battles for this specific settlement, - defence of Bakhmut is rather expensive for AFU from the point of view of combat losses (of course we are not talking about "tens of thousand dead", that propagandists from both sides love so much, but of several thousand - it's entirely possible that this is enough to cause a sensation in Europe).

The conditions of the positional dead end of Bakhmut serve as the starting point that will the determine the course of events in the near future. The plans of AFU commanders to form strike groups from reformed and retrained sections are postponed - they will have to be used to stabilise the frontline the moment they arrive from the training camps of NATO countries, and, of course, the whole process itself is postponed until middle of spring at the minimum.

Bakhmut appears (at the very least, in this given moment) to be a tipping point,it characterises the current flow of combat.

While me in the mean time will start to examine, the how and why the structure of military aid for Ukraine changed.

@atomiccherry 💯
(from t.me/atomiccherry/520, via tgsa)

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Gripweed posted:

Man, how does a nuclear armed state just straight up invade another country, gently caress everything up, kill hundreds of thousands of people, and then just continue to exist? No country has ever survived doing this. Ever.

Certainly not within the last two decades.

Twice.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

Man, how does a nuclear armed state just straight up invade another country, gently caress everything up, kill hundreds of thousands of people, and then just continue to exist? No country has ever survived doing this. Ever.

Twice.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Organ Fiend posted:

Twice.

It is astounding to me that so many people still can't see that Russia is just a less evil version of America. They're basically identical aside from scale lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jazerus posted:

as it turns out many countries invade other countries and kinda gently caress it up and do it badly, then declare victory and go home to very few long-term consequences

Russia got what every western military has wanted for the past 70 years; a classic war against a standing army with tank battles and poo poo. And they got defeated by the Ukrainian army. This wasn’t counter insurgency, it was a good old fashioned war and they got defeated badly by a much smaller country. It’s humiliating.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
American democracy diffuses responsibility for the state across multiple actors over time (the Presidents), in this sense they can't be held accountable the way a "dictator" reigning for longer but doing cumulatively less harm theoretically can

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Russia got what every western military has wanted for the past 70 years; a classic war against a standing army with tank battles and poo poo. And they got defeated by the Ukrainian army. This wasn’t counter insurgency, it was a good old fashioned war and they got defeated badly by a much smaller country. It’s humiliating.

nuh uh

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

America got kicked out of Vietnam and Afghanistan, two countries with basically nothing compared to what America had.

Countries don't really stop existing because they did bad in a war lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Neither Russia nor Ukraine and NATO have lost the ability to continue the war so I'm unsure why you think we can jump right to the end. The Russians might not have another offensive in them and in the end get slowly pushed out or Ukraine might collapse.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gripweed posted:

:pwn:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

(afghanistan tribal noises)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Russia ran into the problems that every western country is running into - the politicians and public can’t and won’t stomach that kind of war. Rabid nationalists will, and so Ukraine gave them control of the relevant parts of the state and removed public decision making from the apparatus. Russian telegram weirdos have identified the effect but not the cause:

“The main problem appears to be the willingness of the Russian public to embrace the war. It's like a 2 way street, of the majority demand escalation the leadership is forced to respond.

But if the patriotism is confined to say 5-10% of the population and people just want to live their normal lives, it's hard to escalate.

A glaring example was when Turkey shot down the su-24 and the population responded by flocking to the Turkish resorts as soon as the government allowed them.”

I can only speak for myself, but I don’t want Russia to emerge as the kind of state that would fight this war to the same extremities Ukraine will, particularly if it gets there through blood and soil nationalism.

The state has to give people something in exchange for going to war, and while it’s a very powerful motivator, “avenge (mythologized nationalist figure that did the Holocaust) and purify the fatherland of (ethnic group) for the glory of (race)” is not ideal.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Dec 4, 2022

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

if countries stopped existing for losing a war especially humiliating ones like afghanistan vietnam even iraq then the us would of collapsed 3 times by now

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военная хроника posted:

The AFU is suffering heavy losses in Bakhmut because of NATO's COIN tactics. What it means

Soldiers of the 71st, 58th and 53rd brigades of the AFU who were captured in early and mid-November near Bakhmut claim that the training course in the UK and in Ukraine, supported by instructors from the US, Canada and Australia, was not designed for intensive combat and is harming the Ukrainian infantry.

According to the Military Chronicle, AFU soldiers underwent training under the NATO COIN program (from the English term Counterinsurgency). The COIN program was created to fight "non-state forces" and insurgents and does not assume the enemy has effective artillery and heavy weapons, which are in large quantities available to the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.

In addition, a full six-month training course was not conducted for the AFU. For assault units, the accelerated course was held in 20 days, and for regular infantry the training took two weeks.

After the course, Ukrainian servicemen trained to COIN standards began to die en masse in combat. Initially losses were recorded in the Kherson direction, but now the most massive losses of the AFU are observed in the Artemivsk and Krasnolimansk directions, where forces of the AFU southern grouping were redeployed.

Because of the large losses of the AFU in Bakhmut in September, October and November, American instructors were sent to units of the 30th, 53rd and 71st AFU brigades to help with the management of the Ukrainian infantry and reduce the casualty rate.

According to the captives, training of the AFU in COIN tactics both abroad and at the Yavoriv training ground was built around actions by small mobile groups. At that, the main directions in training were maneuvers on light equipment (the so-called war of pickups), storming buildings and practicing the filtration of civilians.

The Military Chronicle has previously written about mistakes made by American officers (https://t.me/milchronicles/1357) when planning counterattacks by the AFU near Bakhmut. This was due to a misunderstanding of the capabilities of the Russian Armed Forces and the Wagner PMCs, which have a large number of artillery and heavy equipment.

Subscribe to the War Chronicle (https://t.me/milchronicles)
*** Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version) ***
(from t.me/milchronicles/1360, via tgsa)

Part of it seems to have come from that captured paratrooper interview that was being passed around but the part about light mobile groups was evident from the videos released by the Ukrainians around Kharkov.

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1599147888012976129

Wagner's also getting popular on the internet it seems.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1599147888012976129

Wagner's also getting popular on the internet it seems.

Kids are going nuts for this Wagner!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Majorian posted:

I understand, but I think the U.S.' role in hobbling Europe's nuclear energy programs is smaller than you're assuming. Germany's anti-nuclear energy movement started in earnest in the 70s, back when the U.S. had a lot of money invested in building new plants. Denuclearization was against U.S. economic interests up until recently. Accidents like Three-Mile Island and Chernobyl really sent it into overdrive. Siemens, which built all of Germany's reactors, fully exited the nuclear sector after Fukushima. I agree with you that Germany should have been building reactors this whole time, and that the public response to these accidents was incredibly stupid. But I'm sorry to say that it was a largely organic response. The German public has no one to blame but themselves.

The system itself encourages corruption and self enrichment above all other things - I see the political/social degradation of europe with a sense of historical inevitability. All of the conditions are correct for this to happen, these conditions emerged from the post war consensus, through to the cold war and beyond the fall of the USSR. These conditions have been cultivated by the colonial policies of the hegemon. Europe as a whole became the minor partner in global imperialism after ww2, we're just at the point in the process where europes position has degraded to a degree where it is no longer a minor partner in global imperialism - it is now a subject of imperialism.

The ruling classes of European states can be bought off easily, with the rationale that the neo-liberal economic order is a fine tuned wealth generating apparatus, and that all set backs (austerity, slashing social services with libertarian glee) are not only temporary in the face of future growth but also morally correct. Capitalism and all of the logic that derives from it is to blame, but you know thats true of most things.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

You know who else went nuts for Wagner... :godwinning:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

When one side's propaganda is written by the lowest effort D grade writers who are in their jobs by virtue of attributes unrelated to merit or talent and who are supported by the same agitators who get mad when someone says something negative about a Disney movie its no surprise that "the kids" are going elsewhere.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frosted Flake posted:

Some of the most striking things I ever read in GiP were in a thread years ago about basic training where people recounted black soldiers on their course marvelling at owning multiple pairs of shoes for the first time. One USAF guy remembered that when, what I suppose were rural, southern and poor, black members of his unit were painting a fence or something similar, they started singing work songs. That’s so uncomfortable, I mean, it’s really hard to
imagine that, but as you said it’s a reflection of society.

Which isn’t to say that somewhat similar dynamics don’t play out here with rural Quebec, New Brunswick and Newfoundland soldiers, that you can see differences in Canadian society that are basically invisible from Toronto or whatever. The class, regional, linguistic and other stratifications in Canadian society are there too, there are imbalances in officers and other ranks, indigenous people have separate enlistment programs etc. but it’s hard to wrap my head around how large race looms in America.

One thing worth pointing out is that motivations for enlistment, or at least type of enlistment, vary across language, gender, class and race. The working class and minorities, which as you said can often be the same thing, approach service in a way that has a distinct pattern.

They often go into combat support and (more-so) combat service support roles, the labour jobs, for short period enlistments. Learn to cook, become a mechanic, plumber, electrician, carpenter, whatever - and then get out. Here, that’s 3-4 years, after which they go into public life with skills and something to put on their resume. I’m not great at explaining it, but it’s a very pragmatic use of the military that fits with the economic draft, since they’re returning to civie street with job skills.

In Canada that pattern is shared with women and Francophones but I’m not confident in how these things are interconnected. Just that I’ve seen the pie charts over and over again. Quite a few of the women who serve for short periods get married and leave or become military wives and that’s a whole thing I don’t feel qualified to touch on or try to explain. People still joke about “the 3 reasons why women join the army”.

For one example, combat support and combat service support units in Western Canada were losing enlisted men to the oil patch as soon as they got their red seals, journeymen tickets, AZ etc. To the point where units started deliberately withholding them and the idea was floated of the military deliberately cutting part of the skills training so they wouldn’t be properly certified. This goes back to the “solutions” to retention problems being misguided to malicious.

They have also recently done the same to paid training and education for Doctors, Nurses, Physiotherapists, Lawyers and Dentists to the point where you need to be trained and qualified before joining the military - and they’re marvelling why none are. I can’t wrap my head around this, so if anyone can shine a light I’d appreciate it. Why the hell would someone who is already a doctor become a Medical Officer? They want Chaplains to already have a Masters of Divinity Studies.

Other than people who feel a sense of duty, and are willing to sacrifice civilian employment, who are they hoping to attract to these high skilled and sought after positions? They’re so clearly sabotaging themselves I don’t understand it other than idk they want to means test the positions? But that doesn’t really make sense either.

On the other hand, officers and combat arms enlisted men skew male, middle class, white, English, two or more generations Canadian. Traditionally the Long Service Professional enlists or takes his commission for life - 18-25 years. There’s way more than I can get into here but this probably touches on something Max Weber observed in the Protestant Work Ethic about a “vocation” or “calling”. This was more consciously expressed in the Late Victorian and Edwardian Army, but you can take upper middle class Anglos out of the Anglican Church but you can’t take the Anglican Church out of the upper middle class Anglos. So, these are people who make a life out of the military. Some jumped ship for the tar sands, but not at the same rate. You can argue that’s because they didn’t have transferable job skills, but that’s the point - they don’t go into it for the job skills.

Where this gets complicated is questions of the ability of the other groups to have this career if they wanted. The “fit in or gently caress off” culture and everything else might mean an indigenous person from the territories couldn’t be a moustachioed Regimental Sergeant Major if they wanted to, or a woman hang tough in Battalion as a company commander before getting an ADC billet. The military up to the 70’s and 80’s stalled out Francophone officers’ careers at the Regimental level, beyond which they’d be in command of English troops and formations, so as you said about black generals, this is not all about preference.

I just want to cap this by saying there’s an old book about the RCMP, which is facing identical problems, written for a foreign audience, and when describing the personnel system they say: “Competition for the RCMP is intense, and the Force is able to pick and choose from among the best of those seeking a law enforcement career”

and it’s that they act as if that’s still true without earning it - failing the nation, public, members, Sam Steele and Vimy Ridge - that galls me. They’re acting as if they have the “pick of Canada’s men” without understanding why people believed only the best earned the Red Serge and pushed themselves to be worthy of it. Cunningham said during the evacuation of Crete, when army generals feared the Royal Navy would lose too many ships (the RN lost 12 fleet and 7 auxiliary ships and saved over 18k soldiers) “It takes the Navy three years to build a ship. It will take three hundred years to build a new tradition.” Well, what the gently caress do they want here?

I have often caught poo poo on CSPAM for my belief in this, and deservedly so, but these institutions rely on people acting as they have meaning, not assuming it.

The part I bolded indicated to me that some real decision makers have decided to make the military unattractive to trained recruits. That receiving military training, which would normally be considered a valid route up the social ladder for many people, is being dispensed with makes think that the military is not really something that the civilian politicians there are interested in perpetuating. Probably for various moral reasons while also eyeing up contracts and budget allocations.
They may be thinking of it as dead labour rather than a requirement to maintain canadas position in the global pecking order. Canada has always reminded me of Ireland to a certain extent, you have the global military hegemon next door and they'll start eyeing you up if they get hungry.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Russian government is coordinating cyberattacks on Ukrainian critical infrastructure with missile and other physical strikes as Russian troops retreat from formerly occupied areas of Ukraine, Microsoft said in a report published on Saturday.

And the Kremlin could seek to expand cyberattacks against Ukraine’s supportive neighbors in an attempt to disrupt military and humanitarian supply chains and weaken European populations’ support for Kyiv, according to the report.

Bleak outlook: Microsoft’s report comes after nearly 10 months of brutal war in Ukraine, which has seen Russia hacking Ukrainian satellite systems, energy companies and other critical infrastructure, galvanizing international worries about how Moscow will next deploy its sophisticated cyber capabilities.

Expanding battlefield: In November, Microsoft blamed Russia for October ransomware attacks on infrastructure companies in Ukraine and Poland aimed at attacking companies involved in providing military and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine. Now, the tech giant says that campaign could be “a harbinger of Russia further extending cyberattacks beyond the borders of Ukraine,” with a focus on “countries and companies that are providing Ukraine with vital supply chains of aid and weaponry this winter.”

The October attacks had limited success — Microsoft said local defenders and its own experts “helped contain the attack’s impact to less than 20 percent of one targeted organization’s network” — but Microsoft assesses that Russian hackers “almost certainly collected intelligence on supply routes and logistics operations that could facilitate future attacks.”

Splintering the alliance: Russia is likely to expand its use of influence operations to “reduce support for Ukraine’s defense” by exploiting tensions in Europe over energy prices and shortages, according to the report, which cited Russian propaganda outlets’ steady promotion of European protests over issues such as inflation. Russia could also seek to stoke anti-migrant resentment as more people flee Ukraine amid power outages.

Missiles and malware: Microsoft has observed Russian cyberattacks targeting the same sectors as Moscow’s recent missile barrages retaliating against Ukrainian territorial gains.

In addition, the report says that destructive cyberattacks spiked in October after two relatively quiet months, with wiper malware attacks — meant to erase hard drives and make recovery more difficult — on energy, water and transportation infrastructure paralleling Ukraine’s ground counteroffensive.

Fifty-five percent of the roughly 50 organizations hit by Russian wiper attacks since February are critical infrastructure companies, Microsoft said.

Allies on alert: Microsoft is not alone in tracking these threats. NATO has also been keeping a close eye on developments in Ukraine, and the alliance has also seen evidence of Russia coordinating physical strikes with cyberattacks.

“We’ve seen cyber being used before the actual attack started, for example through defacing government websites and spreading disinformation to try to scare the population,” David van Weel, NATO’s assistant secretary general for emerging security challenges, told reporters during a virtual briefing on Friday. He said that NATO has tracked the use of deepfakes as well, including doctored videos of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy telling troops to surrender.

“We’ve seen cyber being used in conjunction with kinetic attacks, so whilst the military infrastructure was hit physically, it was also hit by cyberattacks,” van Weel noted.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milchronicles/1360, via tgsa)

Part of it seems to have come from that captured paratrooper interview that was being passed around but the part about light mobile groups was evident from the videos released by the Ukrainians around Kharkov.

"we trained them wrong, as a joke"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

The Russian government is coordinating cyberattacks on Ukrainian critical infrastructure with missile and other physical strikes as Russian troops retreat from formerly occupied areas of Ukraine, Microsoft said in a report published on Saturday.

And the Kremlin could seek to expand cyberattacks against Ukraine’s supportive neighbors in an attempt to disrupt military and humanitarian supply chains and weaken European populations’ support for Kyiv, according to the report.

Bleak outlook: Microsoft’s report comes after nearly 10 months of brutal war in Ukraine, which has seen Russia hacking Ukrainian satellite systems, energy companies and other critical infrastructure, galvanizing international worries about how Moscow will next deploy its sophisticated cyber capabilities.

Expanding battlefield: In November, Microsoft blamed Russia for October ransomware attacks on infrastructure companies in Ukraine and Poland aimed at attacking companies involved in providing military and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine. Now, the tech giant says that campaign could be “a harbinger of Russia further extending cyberattacks beyond the borders of Ukraine,” with a focus on “countries and companies that are providing Ukraine with vital supply chains of aid and weaponry this winter.”

The October attacks had limited success — Microsoft said local defenders and its own experts “helped contain the attack’s impact to less than 20 percent of one targeted organization’s network” — but Microsoft assesses that Russian hackers “almost certainly collected intelligence on supply routes and logistics operations that could facilitate future attacks.”

Splintering the alliance: Russia is likely to expand its use of influence operations to “reduce support for Ukraine’s defense” by exploiting tensions in Europe over energy prices and shortages, according to the report, which cited Russian propaganda outlets’ steady promotion of European protests over issues such as inflation. Russia could also seek to stoke anti-migrant resentment as more people flee Ukraine amid power outages.

Missiles and malware: Microsoft has observed Russian cyberattacks targeting the same sectors as Moscow’s recent missile barrages retaliating against Ukrainian territorial gains.

In addition, the report says that destructive cyberattacks spiked in October after two relatively quiet months, with wiper malware attacks — meant to erase hard drives and make recovery more difficult — on energy, water and transportation infrastructure paralleling Ukraine’s ground counteroffensive.

Fifty-five percent of the roughly 50 organizations hit by Russian wiper attacks since February are critical infrastructure companies, Microsoft said.

Allies on alert: Microsoft is not alone in tracking these threats. NATO has also been keeping a close eye on developments in Ukraine, and the alliance has also seen evidence of Russia coordinating physical strikes with cyberattacks.

“We’ve seen cyber being used before the actual attack started, for example through defacing government websites and spreading disinformation to try to scare the population,” David van Weel, NATO’s assistant secretary general for emerging security challenges, told reporters during a virtual briefing on Friday. He said that NATO has tracked the use of deepfakes as well, including doctored videos of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy telling troops to surrender.

“We’ve seen cyber being used in conjunction with kinetic attacks, so whilst the military infrastructure was hit physically, it was also hit by cyberattacks,” van Weel noted.

The battle has moved to the metaverse. Oh no Leutenant Dan you ain't got no legs!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Horseshoe theory posted:

You know who else went nuts for Wagner... :godwinning:

sorry i dont know who this fellow is could you tell me his name that i might google him

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

sorry i dont know who this fellow is could you tell me his name that i might google him

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

So the Ukrainians are successful because they out-Sovietted the Russians? That is ironic.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

this is dangerous

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Southpaugh posted:

The part I bolded indicated to me that some real decision makers have decided to make the military unattractive to trained recruits. That receiving military training, which would normally be considered a valid route up the social ladder for many people, is being dispensed with makes think that the military is not really something that the civilian politicians there are interested in perpetuating. Probably for various moral reasons while also eyeing up contracts and budget allocations.
They may be thinking of it as dead labour rather than a requirement to maintain canadas position in the global pecking order. Canada has always reminded me of Ireland to a certain extent, you have the global military hegemon next door and they'll start eyeing you up if they get hungry.

They were complaining about paying money to train doctors who leave after their first hitch but doesn’t Canada have a shortage of doctors? Creating new doctors is so evidently a good thing the state should do for its own sake that I don’t get the complaint. Cost? What better thing could the military spend money on than creating new doctors? If they go into the provincial healthcare systems after their first stint, so much the better, because the military is benefiting society not just itself. Isn’t that national service?

Cuba figured this out.

Besides the value of continuously training doctors that spend time in the CAF and then go on to staff provincial hospitals, a military worth belonging to is what would encourage others to stay on as regimental surgeons. Whatever you define the national interest as, more doctors and nurses is defence spending that actually furthers it concretely, both in terms of a well staffed battlefield medicine system and “aid to the civil power”.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PawParole posted:

So the Ukrainians are successful because they out-Sovietted the Russians? That is ironic.

I dont know why your getting this from these posts in particular.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know why your getting this from these posts in particular.

“Outsovieted” = “Enemy at the Gates completes my historical understanding”

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/biden-vowed-consequences-saudi-arabia-oil-production-cut-us-no-plans-f-rcna59799

Saudi Arabia got Biden to come in and beg to them after the US said they will toughen their views on them because of Kashogi, of course the US backs down when the chips are down and SA tells them to gently caress off.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Some Guy TT posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/biden-vowed-consequences-saudi-arabia-oil-production-cut-us-no-plans-f-rcna59799

Saudi Arabia got Biden to come in and beg to them after the US said they will toughen their views on them because of Kashogi, of course the US backs down when the chips are down and SA tells them to gently caress off.

Because the US really doesn't want petrorenminbi so Biden threw out his DEM value and kissed up to MBS. He could have done it before his visit to Saudi.