Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They need a cannabis-powered hero whose ability is to make people, like, just chill out dude

oh jay posted:

RIP Funkman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zzulu posted:

How will [anime protagonist] possibly beat [overpowered villain]

The answer is always that the anime protagonist pulls something out of their butt at the last moment and wins the day

good shows typically either build it up well or otherwise hinge the hero's victory on uh, anything besides "well the hero has to win because the formula says so.". the problem isn't "will deku beat this guy????" (obviously yeah this isn't the kind of story to end on deku dying and the villains taking over), it's "can the show possibly give a satisfying justification for deku beating shiggy after this much escalation in threat?" and i'm pretty well leaning on "not really, it'll feel really stupid when deku wins." there's just seemingly no path to victory left that's worth getting invested in or engaged with, shiggy is going to dominate until the writer has arbitrarily decided he's done with that and i guess everything between here and then is just wasting time.

i quite liked this arc before shiggy vs everyone started. the shiggy fight feels like it's dragged on for an episode too long by this point. i get it, he can beat all the heroes without his quirk because on a base level they bioengineered his body to hell, aizawa is the only thing giving everyone a chance at beating him. for as high stakes and high tension as this fight is supposed to be i'm honestly starting to get a little bored, like 70% of the actions in it are of little/no consequence and it's been a long fight. i'm so glad the episode ended with some kind of actual shakeup in the state of the battle, maybe next episode will be good.

even UA vs gigantomachia i'm a little down on. two simultaneous "how will we beat this guy with overwhelming strength who can just shrug off everything we do????" battles are kinda undercutting each others' tension i think. the gigantomachia sequence seems like it's meant to break up the samey beats the shiggy fight is currently going through, and when they were planning a trap and figuring out how they were going to beat gigantomachia that worked. but once gigantomachia actually entered the picture it's a pretty tiresome formula of thing is attempted -> dude shrugs it off -> character pushes beyond their limits and places themself in danger for a chance at making thing work -> [back at start] dude shrugs it off wow gigantomachia/shigaraki is so strong.

it all feels like the show is just going through the motions because this is supposed to be a huge climatic fight so of course it needs more stuff happening in the middle.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
My impression was actually that the heroes would lose here and the villains would get away. And that at some future time, with higher stakes, then there would be a climatic battle.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah obviously they don't beat shiggy here, there's like more episodes after this. but given what he's shown off here, without any quirk usage, there's no reasonable way deku can beat shigaraki at a later date now without some insane rear end pulling.

in the meantime they could have lost half an hour of screen time ago and had more time to put into stuff that actually matters

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah obviously they don't beat shiggy here, there's like more episodes after this. but given what he's shown off here, without any quirk usage, there's no reasonable way deku can beat shigaraki at a later date now without some insane rear end pulling.

in the meantime they could have lost half an hour of screen time ago and had more time to put into stuff that actually matters

He’s got like what 5 more powers he can get from the former holders of OFA? I don’t thinks this is a real problem. If anything Shiggy needed the power boost to keep up with Deku.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno man he's kinda trouncing a whole bunch of powers simultaneously without even using his own, including all might's quirk at full power. Yeah, deku's unknown hidden quirks of infinite potential are probably going to be how he super duper saiyan powers up and I don't see how they will do that in a way that is remotely satisfying given how ridiculously high the bar is currently being set. Creating a compelling reason for me to be very pessimistic about the series' future developments is one reason why the immense escalation of threat we're currently seeing isn't super enjoyable to me.

The other is that while the season started strong the execution is sagging quite a bit now too. If this was being executed well it'd be a lot easier for me to say "well let's just wait and see how it plays out before getting bothered by it"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 22, 2022

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Seeing the manga panels actually made what was happening in the fight much clearer. Deku goes to punch shigi in the head but he catches deku’s arm in his mouth. What I saw in the anime was a static panel with only the top of shigi’s head, a cut to a long shot with air exploding away and then cutting back to deku’s arm in shigi’s mouth. A missed opportunity to animate how shigi blocked the 100% punch.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Sinistral posted:

He’s got like what 5 more powers he can get from the former holders of OFA? I don’t thinks this is a real problem. If anything Shiggy needed the power boost to keep up with Deku.

presumably all for one was as powerful as shigiraki is (with his quirks disabled) but could not beat all might, who only had the super strength/whatever that deku is using at 100% in the last fight. unless all might himself is still monopolizing some large portion of the uhh all might.... power? such that deku cannot access it's real 100% form or something (I vaguely remember this power 'split' thing between them from forever ago)

i guess if anything it's weird that all might could beat all for one who could match his raw strength when that is all that all might had

edit: unless i'm misunderstanding shigaraki's 'strength' i guess, and it's not something that all for one had.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ninjewtsu posted:

I dunno man he's kinda trouncing a whole bunch of powers simultaneously without even using his own, including all might's quirk at full power. Yeah, deku's unknown hidden quirks of infinite potential are probably going to be how he super duper saiyan powers up and I don't see how they will do that in a way that is remotely satisfying given how ridiculously high the bar is currently being set. Creating a compelling reason for me to be very pessimistic about the series' future developments is one reason why the immense escalation of threat we're currently seeing isn't super enjoyable to me.

The other is that while the season started strong the execution is sagging quite a bit now too. If this was being executed well it'd be a lot easier for me to say "well let's just wait and see how it plays out before getting bothered by it"

I assume you've watched Bleach and Naruto before, judging from the pessimism about invincible villains completely immune to non-protagonist attacks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've seen shounen fall into this particular pitfall before yeah

Tabletops posted:

presumably all for one was as powerful as shigiraki is (with his quirks disabled) but could not beat all might, who only had the super strength/whatever that deku is using at 100% in the last fight. unless all might himself is still monopolizing some large portion of the uhh all might.... power? such that deku cannot access it's real 100% form or something (I vaguely remember this power 'split' thing between them from forever ago)

i guess if anything it's weird that all might could beat all for one who could match his raw strength when that is all that all might had

edit: unless i'm misunderstanding shigaraki's 'strength' i guess, and it's not something that all for one had.

to actually go to bat for it shiggy is definitely way stronger than all for one would've been sans quirks. shiggy was put through the nomuification process to make his body like that quirkless. he's just naturally at all might strength before the all for one quirk kicks in now.

deku will need to beat all might's body with all for one's ability

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

actually if he can catch an all might blow with his teeth i guess shigaraki is substantially more powerful than peak all might was

deku's gonna have to throw him into the sun or some poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tabletops posted:

All for One was not super bio modified, so I don’t think he would be near as strong as Shigaraki.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

actually if he can catch an all might blow with his teeth i guess shigaraki is substantially more powerful than peak all might was

deku's gonna have to throw him into the sun or some poo poo

Taking one blow that broke your jaw does not give me any impression he could beat All Might. For Deku one All Might level punch is a super move he can do once in a while. For Prime All Might he could do as many of those as he wanted.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Taking one blow that broke your jaw does not give me any impression he could beat All Might. For Deku one All Might level punch is a super move he can do once in a while. For Prime All Might he could do as many of those as he wanted.

Have you ever tried to catch the punch of someone just as strong as you with your teeth? The fact that his jaw stopped the blow rather than result in shigaraki's jaw or neck snapping is pretty clear cut evidence to me.

If his body can withstand that blow in that ridiculously suboptimal scenario in a straight fight where shiguraki isn't being restrained he probably out punches all might. Also a few episodes ago endeavor was directly comparing shigaraki to all might in strength - they both move through the air the same way (fling a limb out so powerfully the contact with the air around it is enough force to send you in a different direction).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Remember when a 100% flick was an overwhelming amount of power basically no one in the story could withstand?

Lol

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

MonsterEnvy posted:

All for One was not super bio modified, so I don’t think he would be near as strong as Shigaraki.

Oh ok. I wasn’t sure what exactly his tube time did, though it was just giving him all the quirks or whatever

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tabletops posted:

Oh ok. I wasn’t sure what exactly his tube time did, though it was just giving him all the quirks or whatever

I thought it basically made him a Nomu. Remember how the USJ Nomu still crushed Aizawa even with its quirks suppressed? Presumably, Erasure on AFO would be catastrophic, but Shiggy is now a physical powerhouse even without his quirks.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i think the 100% smash is relative to the current users strength, Deku's smash inst gonna be as strong as all-might's smash etc.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's a percentage of the stored power, isn't it? When deku did 100% attacks at the start of the series that was causing massive damage by way of raw force shockwave over distances - was that not exactly what all might's attacks did? This is what the flicks were that he used to blow away todoroki's ice attacks in the tournament were. Dude gave shiggy a full on self-bone-mulcher punch. What is the 100% supposed to represent if not percentage of one for all's strength? It's certainly not 100% of deku's raw muscle strength.

In theory it should be stronger than all might since it's adding deku's strength on top of his, whatever minuscule amount that may be. That's what the quirk does right? Passes down the accumulated strength of all the previous wielders combined? It breaks his bones because deku's body isn't strong enough to properly handle all might's full strength, it's pretty definitively not his own power he's tapping into.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 24, 2022

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1596418825335238657

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
This a shounen jump manga so obviously there's an inviolable status quo to be maintained but for a fleeting moment I let myself beleive the story would have the balls to kill off the worst character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: wrong thread!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dub watch here so just finished Episode 7.

A really touching little moment of character development for Endeavor. He doesn't care he needs help to defeat Shigaraki, he just wants to stop him and save everyone, his own pride be damned.

This episode wasn't what I expected; with the Students vs. Gigantomachia but I guess that's finally coming next week. neding preview lines made it pretty clear Kirishima will be prominent, although I should have figured that much.

I can't believe that is really the end of AFO controlling Shigaraki. I've always wondered ever since the start of the series if these two would turn on each other at some point in some way.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Pretty meh adaption of this part imo. If there was ever a time to break out the sakuga this was it, it's the main character vs the main antagonist in a straight 1v1, no holds barred. Instead it's way less impressive looking than Deku vs Overhaul. Like people have complained previously, they just aren't properly showing the power Deku's hits should be causing, so the whole thing feels really underwhelming. You'd think they could at least funnel some of that movie-money into the actual series.

Also wtf was that censorship when Shiggy's body got hosed up? Were they just trying to obfuscate that his skin was falling off? It looked dumb as hell.

The Deku angry faces were ok. They managed to capture the unhinged rage pretty well.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 26, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not Keyser Soze posted:

This a shounen jump manga so obviously there's an inviolable status quo to be maintained but for a fleeting moment I let myself beleive the story would have the balls to kill off the worst character.

I thought it had potential to be more of an ensemble piece thing too and also found myself a little disappointed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

i saw this before watching the episode and spent the whole time waiting for the stupid grape kid to get his rear end kicked, ended up sorely disappointed

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Aizawa cutting his leg off with zero hesitation is maybe the most badass moment in the series

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

Aizawa cutting his leg off with zero hesitation is maybe the most badass moment in the series

100%

I have a terrible memory from when I read the manga so that surprised me again

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Between this and the thigh decapitation this season has some pretty badass stuff, even for a superhero shounen series.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just binged S6 so far and the enjoyability goes off the rails once SuperShigs wakes up.

They're at least doing a good job with the plotting, more or less, but there's definitely a sense of "wait then there's like 2 seasons more?" because Shigs seems like the end boss already.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FilthyImp posted:

I just binged S6 so far and the enjoyability goes off the rails once SuperShigs wakes up.

They're at least doing a good job with the plotting, more or less, but there's definitely a sense of "wait then there's like 2 seasons more?" because Shigs seems like the end boss already.

:shepface: yep!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

No I do not want to watch Ochako do a fight with Toga, I would much rather see all the much cooler stuff happening ty

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Too bad. This is important somehow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ochako should be able to do things. :colbert:

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Dawgstar posted:

Slapfighting her imaginary friend isn't doing things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When you're not one of the Big Three in this comic, you take what you can get.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I don't disagree, and I'd probably be hype for her and Toga to throw down in maybe any other potential scenario, but when Eraser just cut his leg off, Bakugo's dead, a 400 foot giant is displacing millions, etc etc

Just gonna go check in on Steve from accounting and see what he's up to while the battle for helms deep goes down

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Sockser posted:

Steve from accounting

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
that was good. they didn't spend a whole lot of time on the tomoko/ochako thing and i did not see the Dabi thing coming. good twist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

There's simply way too much happening in this whole arc. Watching it week by week is "fine" but if I were watching more than one episode in a go my eyes would absolutely be glazing over and I'd be loving around on my phone instead