Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
lmao get wrekt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kashuno posted:

February, but I imagine there will be some cubes up during the holidays

Never done a cube before. Feels like uncharted territory

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fridge corn posted:

I think I'm bored of drafting this set. Whens the next one come out?

I'm not bored, but I AM very bad at it and my ability to turn gold into gems has been severely hampered this set because of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Retcon posted:

Did you queue into Brawl by accident

It would be amazing if I somehow was able to play my Jinn deck in Brawl. No, I just started mucking my way back up to Plat yesterday because it was a slow day, and every drat deck I played against in Gold had 100+ cards, leading to wonder, is there a mill deck out there in Standard?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Event #22

https://www.17lands.com/draft/5eee91fa7a6f4adb97e6b88830a59a21

1-3, not even particularly tilted by this one as I had a feeling it wasn't going to be super and I just wanted to clear it out. The main thing is that I didn't make any super obvious errors in play (at least to me), and I even found some lines that kept me alive for a while, just didn't get there. I played how the deck needed me to play to work, it's just that "working" didn't seem to do anything. Based on my experience Evangel really isn't a threat on its own, since you need to keep the board pretty clear or already have an advantage for its menace to really play. Anointer got one-shot immediately upon casting and so it didn't do anything in its game either lol.

Although I did manage to sneak one win where I got to do this

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Rending Volley

Matter Reshaper

Ethereal Armor

:swoon: Zulaport Cutthroat :swoon:

All part of explorer anthology 2

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It would be amazing if I somehow was able to play my Jinn deck in Brawl. No, I just started mucking my way back up to Plat yesterday because it was a slow day, and every drat deck I played against in Gold had 100+ cards, leading to wonder, is there a mill deck out there in Standard?

I've only noticed once in a couple hundred recent matches when a deck in Standard had more than 60 cards. I think there's always people out there trying it, but I doubt it's some new meta thing. You probably just had a stretch of weird luck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #23

https://www.17lands.com/draft/4372f221f6fb4e55b33376a5de2925f3

Now this one, I can feel the salt levels rising. Didn't get any Junkyard Geniuses so this was going to have a ceiling, and I got shot in the face by a Genius to put this draft in the dirt, so I really think that is one of the most busted non-rares in the format.

Sibling Rivalry stole one game, but the other time i used it I didn't have a sac outlet, and I could have gotten there but I flooded and couldn't follow up with literally anything to put 2 points of damage on, and Staff of Domination bailed them out

2-3 // 85-64 (57.05%) // 8 drafts left

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I feel like it's been thoroughly sussed out that this is an aggro format which makes the usual variance hit so much harder. Miss a land drop? RIP. Mulligan down to five for a decent hand? Run out of gas and RIP. On the draw? RIP

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

I'm not bored, but I AM very bad at it and my ability to turn gold into gems has been severely hampered this set because of it.

Just draft helm of the host in 3 consecutive drafts like I did and you will feel better

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Whooping Crabs posted:

Just draft helm of the host in 3 consecutive drafts like I did and you will feel better

I think I was the only person on the planet that liked VOW but I also drafted Halena and Alena 5 freakin times hehe

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #24

https://www.17lands.com/draft/866e3a30dd204743ba9356f669401d86

UW Soldiers... feels like home.

First game was a win but it was nailbiter lol, I was ready to give up at like 3 different points but I found the line... Gixian Puppeteer is a real powerful card.

My head hurts now from all that thinking lol, I think that is a cue to pick this up tomorrow

Edit: i lied

I think Mightstone's Animation might be a good card

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 4, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love this event :allears:

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Mightstone's Animation is absolutely a good card but on the other hand my opponent targeted an Ornithopter with it and I responded with Disfigure and it felt so good it should be illegal.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Just faced a rat colony deck in hbrawl, I find it strange that someone would play a monotonous deck like that in an unranked format

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Grifter posted:

Mightstone's Animation is absolutely a good card but on the other hand my opponent targeted an Ornithopter with it and I responded with Disfigure and it felt so good it should be illegal.

Even if I had 4 Mightstone's Animations (which I do) I don't know if I would run Ornithopter lol... Reconstructed Thopter definitely though

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Even if I had 4 Mightstone's Animations (which I do) I don't know if I would run Ornithopter lol... Reconstructed Thopter definitely though
My favorite target for it is Ichor Wellspring. Draw a card, draw a card, then if they ever kill it...draw a card.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kashuno posted:

February, but I imagine there will be some cubes up during the holidays

Did I imagine it or is Shadows Over Innistrad Remastered in January?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fridge corn posted:

I think I was the only person on the planet that liked VOW but I also drafted Halena and Alena 5 freakin times hehe

yeah I really wanted to like vow, the mechanics were very rad, but the bombs were just too fuckin bomby and drowned out the actual fun poo poo

ALL WILL BE ONE better be a good draft set, yawgmoth dammit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Standard I'm trying this list out:

Trying to weave in between the established archetypes. Not going for as linear as soldiers. I'm also not splashing red for Fable, leveraging monocolor for Invoke Justice (but not as reliant on it as the Raffine's Informant deck) and primarily to make March of Otherworldly Light workable flexible removal. The other removal is Touch the Spirit Realm, which also doubles as protection for the big angels and which also has the benefit of making a prototype Steel Seraph power up.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 4, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao 4-11 i get it, i'll netdeck

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Imo swap March for Lay Down Arms, it's Sorcery speed but it's only 1 mana and meeting the plains cost is easy af as monowhite.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

Imo swap March for Lay Down Arms, it's Sorcery speed but it's only 1 mana and meeting the plains cost is easy af as monowhite.

lol wasted 20 minutes on this match durdling about and after maximum amount of my time wasted out comes the hullfucking horror

edit: 5-20, that extra win was someone instantly scooping after a bad mulligan, this deck is incredibly poorly positioned against soldiers, I wish everyone who plays UW in standard incredible pain

if I'm gonna play with a brew at least my Izzet with eruth and jaya is 23-17, maybe that can stay above the coinflip

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 4, 2022

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
brb gonna go play more UW in standard

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I play UW Virtuoso does that count

Charlie do you know that you can always concede when you're not having fun. Do you know that time spent on a Magic match is not "wasted" if you are having fun. It doesn't even matter if you win or lose in that case

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol wasted 20 minutes on this match durdling about and after maximum amount of my time wasted out comes the hullfucking horror

How were you planning to win even without the Hullbreaker? They're at 28 life AND have a much better board AND are playing a deck with better late game. You lost this a long time before the clock hit 20 minutes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How were you planning to win even without the Hullbreaker? They're at 28 life AND have a much better board AND are playing a deck with better late game. You lost this a long time before the clock hit 20 minutes.

https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/2792a69314644750bfc8f9bbff46e65e/34417651/1670136927

I dunno, I thought up until turn 18 when Teferi came out I still had a reasonable shot, I weathered three sweepers and still had some presence on the board, turns 11-17 were basically just us plusing and minusing Emperors, I know they were accruing advantage in sculpting their hand so many times but I still felt like a good topdeck could blow them out. Before Hullbreaker they were also down to 10 cards in the deck and they weren't playing Devious Cover-Up so I thought there might be a chance of them decking

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I've been playing Azorius control with a similar build and your deck looks like it'll get eaten up basically all the time. Grindy value midrange doesn't have a good time against control, and you'd be surprised how little decking is actually a threat once the deck gets established (the only times I've decked playing it have been deliberately when I have no outs left and just do a Silver Scrutiny for (deck size + 1) to lose in style). Once they get board control, Teferi spirits means that life totals can change very quickly.

The deck usually runs lots of board wipes, so if there's a period where they're just kind of durdling around for a bit in the midgame it's usually because they're waiting for you to try to slam something dangerous (I assume that's what happened when your creatures vanished but the replay doesn't show it).

Try playing the deck a bit yourself - note that even if they didn't have a wipe in hand when you played the Seraph, they still had a good while to dig for an answer because they didn't have any life total pressure.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The most potent weapon you have against a control deck is the concede button. Just one click and poof they're gone. Works everytime

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

fridge corn posted:

The most potent weapon you have against a control deck is the concede button. Just one click and poof they're gone. Works everytime

I’ve never seen monored spelled that way before. :raise:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Draft BRO, bro

Its sick, bro

Guaranteed to have a good time, bro

It owns, bro

I hate this loving format so much

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/2792a69314644750bfc8f9bbff46e65e/34417651/1670136927

I dunno, I thought up until turn 18 when Teferi came out I still had a reasonable shot, I weathered three sweepers and still had some presence on the board, turns 11-17 were basically just us plusing and minusing Emperors, I know they were accruing advantage in sculpting their hand so many times but I still felt like a good topdeck could blow them out. Before Hullbreaker they were also down to 10 cards in the deck and they weren't playing Devious Cover-Up so I thought there might be a chance of them decking

At the point where they have sculpted their hand more than once, you have zero chance of winning if you're not also a control deck with a significant existing board presence.

They have been looking at the top whatever cards of their deck, and picking the two that gently caress you over the most in the most flexible ways. You are completely kidding yourself id you think that they're getting within ten cards of the end of their deck without a full hand of answers.

Just concede and move on.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

On the other hand I just got to do this so maybe it's not all bad lol

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

fridge corn posted:

This is what I do against most control decks that have emo edgelord wrist-cutting hoodie-wearing Jace avatars that counter for 20 minutes and plop down a 20/4 Haughty Djinn. Take your win, please stop wasting my time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Decided to try something different in standard

Deck
3 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
2 Abrade (VOW) 139
3 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
2 Strangle (SNC) 125
4 Electrostatic Infantry (DMU) 122
2 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
2 Atsushi, the Blazing Sky (NEO) 134
3 Obliterating Bolt (BRO) 145
3 Radha's Firebrand (DMU) 141
1 Smoldering Egg (MID) 159
19 Mountain (ANA) 7
4 Thrill of Possibility (STA) 46
2 Twinferno (DMU) 149
2 Jaya, Fiery Negotiator (DMU) 133
3 Burn Down the House (MID) 131
3 Seize the Storm (MID) 158
2 Arcane Bombardment (SNC) 101

It's stupid but it works

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I’ve never seen monored spelled that way before. :raise:

I cannot stress enough just how thoroughly monored crushes control decks (well, Monoblue. Dimir will be packing tons of "gently caress your creatures"). Remember to pack Rending Flame (or x Mechanized Warfare) for those pesky Djinn/Terrors.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
And Sheoldreds.

Today was a horrible day for it for me though, I went like 0/5 and gave up and played brawl for my dailies instead.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

Would anyone want to critique my draft and deck? I'm still pretty new to this and haven't drafted since SNC.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/370fb61709c8452c9a6e3888078a7168

I wanted to test so I played a match and am 1-0, but wouldn't mind getting some input before going further.

I wish I had gotten more cantrip effects. I was kinda banking on Teferi, but didn't get enough blue I feel, and I'm not sure splashing a third color is a good idea.

Somehow went 4-0 with this, then lost 3 times in a row against much more synergistic decks. Two of those were RW prowess builds.

I blame me having to mulligan down to 5 on one of those losses though...

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Draft BRO, bro

Its sick, bro

Guaranteed to have a good time, bro

It owns, bro

I hate this loving format so much

i swear to god whatever hand smoothing algorithm Arena uses will give you a better hand if you are playing 3 colors than if you are playing two colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
First and third hands look fine? For the first, you have three chances to draw a mountain and if you miss THAT you can prison sentence to keep pressure off + scry into a mountain for (almost) sure. For the third, you have a play on turn 2 and 3, and plenty of opportunities to draw more lands (either color really) or other cheaper drops which you can just play. I'd keep both of those hands easily.