Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

oh are those two supa bad now?

I know my older female family nurses say to take Tylenol , but now all the younger ones say to take advil.

is advil/ibu going to milkshakeduck itself scientifically to soon? man pharmaceutical science is magic.
The issue with paracetamol/acetaminophen/Tylenol is that there isn't a very large difference between a therapeutic dose and a toxic dose. There's about a 3x difference between a cure-your-headache dose and an occasionally-fatal-if-untreated dose. People will routinely do things like take extra pills because their headache isn't going away/came back, or accidentally double up because lots of products include it as a component (e.g. taking overlapping normal doses of Tylenol + Nyquil + some Sudafed forms will get you in the neighborhood of overdose). It's the main cause of acute liver failure cases.

As long as you don't overdose, it's safe though. All three of the main kinds of OTC painkillers (aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen/other NSAIDs) all have their own niches where they're better than the others, the NSAIDs are just more forgiving to overdose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

if alcohol and tobacco were discovered today they would both probably be banned.

They did try banning alcohol and it failed miserably. For a number of reasons, but probably not least that indulging in alcohol probably predates civilisation.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They did try banning alcohol and it failed miserably. For a number of reasons, but probably not least that indulging in alcohol probably predates civilisation.

Home brewed beer is good. It used to be that the wife of the household made the beer in addition to her other jobs where they weren't shared with the menfolk (like tending fields). But now home brews are primarily made by guys.

Anyway, the reason people made beer is its alcoholic properties killed many of the nastier bacteria that infested the rivers and streams of ancient lands caused by a lack of good sanitation infrastructure. Also beer tastes good and enough will get you drunk.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BioEnchanted posted:

IIRC Glitter was into sex tourism of places with laxer laws regarding ages. I remember stories of him being with underage girls at least.

Gary Glitter was a paedo. Who moved to Cambodia where he could get easier access to kids with less consequences. He got busted there, paid blood money to the family of his victim(s), then moved to Vietnam, where the exact same thing happened, blood money and all.

Last I heard, british authorities got him, and he is in jail.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That’s a reasonable but common misconception. Most societies in the ancient world had access to fresh sources of water and knew how to treat it. People made beer and wine because they liked drinking.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, it takes proper civilization before you've ruined all the drinkable water nearby.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

The class action lawsuit ads are all saying that acetaminophen during pregnancy causes ADHD and autism.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Small beer" was more like thin porridge with a low alcohol content than what we know as beer today. A thirst quencher that also provided some nutrition must have been pretty essential for laborers.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Foxfire_ posted:

The issue with paracetamol/acetaminophen/Tylenol is that there isn't a very large difference between a therapeutic dose and a toxic dose. There's about a 3x difference between a cure-your-headache dose and an occasionally-fatal-if-untreated dose.

I’ve got to believe health literacy and a culture of inappropriate access to the medication has to be a contributor to harm-by-tylenol.

In Australia we are seeing a steady uptake of acetaminophen toxicity being treated, or resulting in harm or death, but we’re not competing on any level to North America.

Sure, part of that will be our smaller population, but we also cannot walk into a Walmart and leave with a literal bucket full of potential liver poison. I think the largest pack on our shelves is probably a 60 tablet box? If I grew up in a culture where they were doled-out like a fist-full of Skittles, maybe I wouldn’t register how dangerous they can be. And why would Mr Walmart be able to sell me something that can crash-course my liver?

The consumer isn’t well informed, and is even less-well protected, but I think that’s a feature for you guys, not a bug?

My family has delivered frontline medical support in a bunch of regions around Australia and couple in North America, and the relationship between self harm with meds (intentional or not) has a great deal to do with ease of access.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

We used to be able to buy non-prescription painkillers in bottles of 200+ here in the EU, but that was changed some years ago, exactly because of accidental/deliberate poisonings.

Now you can only buy them in boxes of 20 and only one per customer.

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

PuntCuncher posted:

I’ve got to believe health literacy and a culture of inappropriate access to the medication has to be a contributor to harm-by-tylenol.

In Australia we are seeing a steady uptake of acetaminophen toxicity being treated, or resulting in harm or death, but we’re not competing on any level to North America.

Sure, part of that will be our smaller population, but we also cannot walk into a Walmart and leave with a literal bucket full of potential liver poison. I think the largest pack on our shelves is probably a 60 tablet box? If I grew up in a culture where they were doled-out like a fist-full of Skittles, maybe I wouldn’t register how dangerous they can be. And why would Mr Walmart be able to sell me something that can crash-course my liver?

The consumer isn’t well informed, and is even less-well protected, but I think that’s a feature for you guys, not a bug?

My family has delivered frontline medical support in a bunch of regions around Australia and couple in North America, and the relationship between self harm with meds (intentional or not) has a great deal to do with ease of access.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

I think the last bottle of ES Tylenol I bought (several years back) was 7.99 for 500 tablets? It went bad before I had used more than about a half dozen during it's shelf life which was about two years.
Aspirin is similar (available in quantity, cheap, harmful), but at least gives off a pungent vinegar-esqe odor to warn you when it's no good. (versus people ingesting expired tylenol)

"Doled-out like a fist-full of Skittles" is accurate for how some people consume them. There is piss-all awareness on the subject amongst the general population (turns out not a lot of people read the paperwork in the box), and the average person who needs 'em isn't likely to stop long enough to take heed of the warnings.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah I work in pharmacy and I have to deal with one or two 'hi my loved one took eight paracetamol what shall we do?' calls a year. They are all very startled when I tell them they need to call an ambulance.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I'll never understand why tobacco isn't allowed to advertise but alcohol is

In my country it is illegal to advertise for both. It's also illegal to make ads directed at children.

KozmoNaut posted:

We used to be able to buy non-prescription painkillers in bottles of 200+ here in the EU, but that was changed some years ago, exactly because of accidental/deliberate poisonings.

Now you can only buy them in boxes of 20 and only one per customer.

I can see why, but it is still annoying that I can't by more than one box zyrtec at the time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

In my country it is illegal to advertise for both. It's also illegal to make ads directed at children.

I can see why, but it is still annoying that I can't by more than one box zyrtec at the time.

Wait they've limited Zyrtec in your country? That shits 400 for $16 here

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

HopperUK posted:

Yeah I work in pharmacy and I have to deal with one or two 'hi my loved one took eight paracetamol what shall we do?' calls a year. They are all very startled when I tell them they need to call an ambulance.

I read somewhere that acetaminophen suicides are quite common in the States too as they are a lot easier to get than sleeping pills.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

By popular demand posted:

I read somewhere that acetaminophen suicides are quite common in the States too as they are a lot easier to get than sleeping pills.

This seems wrong since I can just buy a big box of unisom

Note: attempting to kill yourself with unisom will mostly make you frustrated

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

By popular demand posted:

Oh boy, an excruciating death over several days as your organs slowly fail in a process that’s largely irreversible after a certain point. Of all the ways to go

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kit Walker posted:

Oh boy, an excruciating death over several days as your organs slowly fail in a process that’s largely irreversible after a certain point. Of all the ways to go

One time I had a young woman come into the pharmacy and she told me she'd taken - I think about 70 paracetamol tablets. That wasn't what was making her unwell right then, though. It was that they were the 'extra' kind with added caffeine. Poor thing could hardly sit still. The ambulance took her away, I really hope she came through.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HopperUK posted:

One time I had a young woman come into the pharmacy and she told me she'd taken - I think about 70 paracetamol tablets. That wasn't what was making her unwell right then, though. It was that they were the 'extra' kind with added caffeine. Poor thing could hardly sit still. The ambulance took her away, I really hope she came through.

Out of sheer horrific curiosity, I just drank a 32 oz soda, so how many 32 oz sodas worth of caffeine is that?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rochallor posted:

Out of sheer horrific curiosity, I just drank a 32 oz soda, so how many 32 oz sodas worth of caffeine is that?
Looks like the pills have 65mg of caffeine per, so 4,550 mg total. Most sodas have between 2.5-5mg/oz of caffeine, so regardless of what soda you drank, it's the equivalent of probably seven or eight gallons of soda.

Energy drinks can go closer to 15-20mg/oz, and coffee can be in the high double digits, so it's less of those but still talking in the gallons range.

Edge & Christian has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Dec 4, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rochallor posted:

About 130 if I did the math right.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rochallor posted:

There’s a PYF dangerous chemistry thread that has chemists, hobbyists, researchers, etc. that can answer this question in FAR more detail than you’d ever want, but it’s always a good read. Thread favorites are the vicious hell-broth chlorine trifluoride, and most things Dr Derek Lowe posts off of the “Things I Won’t Work With” blog.

Here’s a quote to get you there!

Icon Of Sin posted:

From the “Media that didn’t age well” thread, mostly so I can quote myself to link it there :v:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Len posted:

Wait they've limited Zyrtec in your country? That shits 400 for $16 here

I once bought a 1500-pack of 200mg ibuprofen in Michigan. Can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't much.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't think I've ever taken more than the recommended dosage on any kind of medicine (to the point of setting a timer to make sure I don't take something earlier), but I did once find myself weeping in the bathroom at a family gathering, and then looked at the various things I was taking to finally get rid of my "cold" and found out that depression is a common drug interaction side effect. That "cold" turned out to be seasonal allergies that for years I didn't realize were something you could take entirely different drugs to ameliorate than the stupid cold medicine that was just giving me the side effects!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I took some anti-histamines a little while ago with orange juice because i happened to have a glass already on the go and had horrible waves of nausea afterwards. I looked up the side effects a little bit after and the very first note was "DO NOT TAKE WITH ORANGE JUICE".

Luckily I just felt kinda lovely for a while and nothing bad happened but I had to laugh.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Kit Walker posted:

My dad used to take Vicodin 750s like candy, like House levels, and I was always afraid this would be the end result. I don’t know what he takes now but I’m pretty sure there isn’t any acetaminophen in it because he hasn’t said anything about getting his liver checked recently.

screaden posted:

I took some anti-histamines a little while ago with orange juice because i happened to have a glass already on the go and had horrible waves of nausea afterwards. I looked up the side effects a little bit after and the very first note was "DO NOT TAKE WITH ORANGE JUICE".

Luckily I just felt kinda lovely for a while and nothing bad happened but I had to laugh.

Grapefruit juice does the same thing from what I was told. It was explained to me that you could be fine or it could be like you took 100x the amount of medication you did.

Obsoletely Fabulous has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Dec 5, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I watched the Jim Carrey movie Yes Man for some reason last night, and it felt like an extremely pre-recession movie in a lot of ways. The single biggest was that Carrey, a loan officer, just starts saying yes to every single loan application. This has nothing but positive consequences for everyone involved. People hear that Carrey will approve literally any loan and start lining up out the door for loans for things like idiotic business ideas and exotic motorcycles. The loans work out great for everyone: people are happier living their best lives, they all pay their loans on time making the bank a ton of money, and Carrey gets promoted to be some sort of unspecified banking big shot. The movie also has an underlying message of "do whatever makes you happy and the money will follow."

After watching I checked the release date and it was actually December, 2008. So I guess it aged terribly immediately upon release.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I watched the Jim Carrey movie Yes Man for some reason last night, and it felt like an extremely pre-recession movie in a lot of ways. The single biggest was that Carrey, a loan officer, just starts saying yes to every single loan application. This has nothing but positive consequences for everyone involved. People hear that Carrey will approve literally any loan and start lining up out the door for loans for things like idiotic business ideas and exotic motorcycles. The loans work out great for everyone: people are happier living their best lives, they all pay their loans on time making the bank a ton of money, and Carrey gets promoted to be some sort of unspecified banking big shot. The movie also has an underlying message of "do whatever makes you happy and the money will follow."

After watching I checked the release date and it was actually December, 2008. So I guess it aged terribly immediately upon release.

The weird body roller skating thing at the end was an absolutely baffling inclusion and is now the only thing I remember about that movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's another "modern technology solves an old problem" example.

In 1976, The Sylvers had a big hit with "Hot Line". A song about a guy trying to reach a girl via telephone even going so far as to enlist the aid of the FBI and CIA. Obviously that would no longer be an issue today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwx64lD4m44

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Moon Monster posted:

Well he made up for it with Fun with Dick and Jane

e: gently caress me that was 2005

they were still reeling from the last huge dump

my timeline is whack

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here's another "modern technology solves an old problem" example.

In 1976, The Sylvers had a big hit with "Hot Line". A song about a guy trying to reach a girl via telephone even going so far as to enlist the aid of the FBI and CIA. Obviously that would no longer be an issue today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwx64lD4m44

This one's even more aged. Operator? What's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qgnGH6Rg-E

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This one's even more aged. Operator? What's that?

That part where he whimpers "...you can keep the dime" always made me confused. Is he calling from a payphone? This song is from 1972; more people had landlines then than indoor plumbing.

Haha but having worked customer service, I can just imagine this from the operator's point of view. This guy wanting to make a call but uhhh he can't read the fuckin number and hey, let me tell you, I once had this friend Ray...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

credburn posted:

That part where he whimpers "...you can keep the dime" always made me confused. Is he calling from a payphone? This song is from 1972; more people had landlines then than indoor plumbing.

Haha but having worked customer service, I can just imagine this from the operator's point of view. This guy wanting to make a call but uhhh he can't read the fuckin number and hey, let me tell you, I once had this friend Ray...

He's calling from the bar.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://1900hotdog.com/2022/12/upsetting-day-a-very-larry-christmas-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

Not that Larry the Cable Guy wasn’t bad in the first place, but did you know he had songs about wanting to sleep with teenagers too?

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

bobjr posted:

https://1900hotdog.com/2022/12/upsetting-day-a-very-larry-christmas-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

Not that Larry the Cable Guy wasn’t bad in the first place, but did you know he had songs about wanting to sleep with teenagers too?

That guy is extra weird since his entire personality is a persona he tried out one day that took over his life, so everything he says on stage these days is probably filtered through what he imagines his current fans wants to hear. Not that that in any way excuses singing about wanting to sleep with teenagers, of course.

This is what he looked and sounded like before he found that sleevless shirts and a redneck accent would lead to millions of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdQtXqeXPuo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Moon Monster posted:

I completely forgot about that movie but I remember thinking basically exactly that when I saw it all those years ago

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Offler posted:

That guy is extra weird since his entire personality is a persona he tried out one day that took over his life, so everything he says on stage these days is probably filtered through what he imagines his current fans wants to hear. Not that that in any way excuses singing about wanting to sleep with teenagers, of course.

This is what he looked and sounded like before he found that sleevless shirts and a redneck accent would lead to millions of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdQtXqeXPuo

Perhaps Daniel Whitney was the dream and Larry was the man

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Grapefruit juice does the same thing from what I was told. It was explained to me that you could be fine or it could be like you took 100x the amount of medication you did.

Grapefruit juice interacts with a shocking number of medications, and it does so in different ways. Some meds will not be metabolized right and cause the levels in your body to be too high, some meds will be rendered ineffective. I work with developmentally disabled folks many of which are on seizure medications or old psychiatric medication regimens they've had for 50+ years that are at risk of serious health issues from that insidious citrus. It should come with a skull and crossbones on it and a firmly worded warning from the surgeon general.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
It's common advice to take psychedelic mushrooms with grapefruit juice to enhance their potency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Yeah, it's probably why Hunter S. Thompson liked grapefruit so much. His standard breakfast included two grapefruits, and in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas he was eating it constantly.