Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't played it yet but everything about Callisto Protocol sounds like a repeat of The Evil Within. Hype levels high because of the names behind it while the game itself is pretty middle of the road. Although I'm pretty confident I won't hate TCP as muchas TEW whenever I get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
I'm usually too much of a chicken to play horror games myself though I enjoy watching others play as a substitute rather than missing out on them altogether.

Does anyone have any recommendations on YouTubers who let's play horror stuff including the latest calisto protocol?

I tried searching for one but most I found are either full of themselves by putting too much focus on themselves rather than the game itself like 'Ho Ho, look at me I'm so smart and interesting, these scares are so lame lol'.

I don't really want no commentary walkthroughs either, but prefer one who is able to play like someone who's simply into the games and make insightful comments once in a while.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

shoc77 posted:

I'm usually too much of a chicken to play horror games myself though I enjoy watching others play as a substitute rather than missing out on them altogether.

Does anyone have any recommendations on YouTubers who let's play horror stuff including the latest calisto protocol?

I tried searching for one but most I found are either full of themselves by putting too much focus on themselves rather than the game itself like 'Ho Ho, look at me I'm so smart and interesting, these scares are so lame lol'.

I don't really want no commentary walkthroughs either, but prefer one who is able to play like someone who's simply into the games and make insightful comments once in a while.

He hasn't done Callisto Protocol yet but SuperGreatFriend is a really good chill let's player that does a lot of horror games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't played it yet but everything about Callisto Protocol sounds like a repeat of The Evil Within. Hype levels high because of the names behind it while the game itself is pretty middle of the road. Although I'm pretty confident I won't hate TCP as muchas TEW whenever I get around to it.

I would argue TEW is the better game because you have all the tools you need to handle more than one enemy.

I have played way too much TEW on all possible difficulties.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TEW has a lot more imagination that Callisto too, nice looking as the latter is you spend the majority of the game so far in metal corridors or caves, fighting enemies that look pretty much the same.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

shoc77 posted:

John Wolfe is the best horror game YouTuber I'm aware of. His output has slowed recently because of multiple deaths in the family, but he's started a playthrough of TCP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man gently caress this moving platform section the first time I laid eyes on it I knew it would be the worst bit of the game (hopefully).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I beat the Evil Within Too twice, but have no idea how to play the first game because I keep getting my head chopped off by the first enemy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're supposed to run away

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
This was pages ago before TCP's release but I keep getting busy....

Vermain posted:

i saw a pretty clever priming trick in this indie RE7 knockoff ABG covered where you get a key after like, 15 minutes into the game and it gives you a "press shift to run" prompt without any actual danger until a while later

Sorry, which game is "ABG"? I've done searches on Google and itch.io and nothing pops up. Don't want to miss out on something good!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Agent Escalus posted:

This was pages ago before TCP's release but I keep getting busy....

Sorry, which game is "ABG"? I've done searches on Google and itch.io and nothing pops up. Don't want to miss out on something good!

They're talking about Alpha Beta Gamer, a youtuber who does commentary-less playthroughs of indie games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dead space done, final chapter/boss was a snore but holds up overall

I do wonder how the remake’s scenario writing will change. this series couldn’t make up its mind on anything in its worldbuilding and backstory, right up to the point where it settled on “moon is zombies, everyone dies”

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Is "Scorn" any good?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ashmole posted:

Is "Scorn" any good?

looks great! plays bad!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ashmole posted:

Is "Scorn" any good?

if it's still on gamepass and you have gamepass then give it a playthrough. if it isn't, then just watch someone's LP of it

it's an incredibly gorgeous art gallery tour with like an hour and a half of system shock 2 level gunplay and something like 4-5 total hours of runtime

BisbyWorl posted:

They're talking about Alpha Beta Gamer, a youtuber who does commentary-less playthroughs of indie games.

yup, sorry for the ambiguity, was phoneposting; the game itself is LAZARET

it's one of those titles where you can clearly see the dev team straining against the confines of their budget, but it''s really trying and i sincerely admire that in indie titles far more than someone trying to make something clean and presentable

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 4, 2022

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Vermain posted:

if it's still on gamepass and you have gamepass then give it a playthrough. if it isn't, then just watch someone's LP of it

it's an incredibly gorgeous art gallery tour with like an hour and a half of system shock 2 level gunplay and something like 4-5 total hours of runtime

That's a good tip. Thanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I finished Callisto Protocol, it was fine if uninspired until it introduced the one boss type enemy it had which I can't believe made it in to a finished game they were so poorly designed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Well I finished Callisto Protocol, it was fine if uninspired until it introduced the one boss type enemy it had which I can't believe made it in to a finished game they were so poorly designed.

i'm still supremely miffed storyline-wise that the source of the infection was exactly what i thought it was going to be, which is some gleep-glop they dredged up from the mines and which the nefarious cult-corporation decided to go full albert wesker with

i know every story's been done already, and horror's necessarily a kind of derivative genre as it is, but it seriously reads like a first draft idea that didn't get workshopped enough

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The story barely even existed at all tbh, they might as well have just had a few paragraphs in the manual (metaphorical).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

1stGear posted:

John Wolfe is the best horror game YouTuber I'm aware of. His output has slowed recently because of multiple deaths in the family, but he's started a playthrough of TCP.

Seconding this. Its so rare to find someone who is competant and doesn't ham it up or scream constantly.

I also enjoy MrKravin for similar reasons.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like people have been saying this for years and it never really holds true
The implication was less “nobody’s going to make games anymore” and more “games will all take 5 years to make and also every independent studio will either shutter or get acquired”

I’m sure Striking Distance is going to be fine, tho

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the plasma cutter is not only the funnest gun but making it your only gun also breaks the game and makes it piss easy. it's hilariously broken. kind of insane that I'm hearing Callisto has basically the same doofy upgrade system.

I'd play it on PC if it was an option because you can unlock the framerate (which does break the physics though if the fps gets too high). You can actually play it on Xbox at 60 though iirc. You just have to uncheck the option to limit it.

the basic steam port takes a lot of work, it has AA and 60 fps but terrible default brightness settings and no widescreen

the backwards-compatible xbox version is also locked at 30, there's no unlock option. only dead space 2 gets all the bells and whistles

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Callisto Protocol being a hyped up 7 hour bugfest for 70$ is such a perfect example of this industry.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the basic steam port takes a lot of work, it has AA and 60 fps but terrible default brightness settings and no widescreen

it's also got some weird issues with mouseaim, but there's a fan patch (dead space mouse fix) that largely fixes it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Floor is lava posted:

https://imgur.com/a/U9S8lWO

WEVE BUILT A WORLD CLASS

huh?? I feel like i've been ovaltine decoder ring'd

I was kind of expecting hidden messages again after the whole alien alphabet thing in dead space.

Found a quote by the Companies CEO Glen Schofield that starts with the hidden text.

bummer

This is hilarious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mrkravin
Manlybadasshero
Cjugames

All people who play lots of trash with cool personalities and chill observations but also genuinely engage with the media and provide honest opinions even if it’s garbo which I always appreciate the sincerity.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone made a 12 hour long essay on the story of Signalis yet?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

al-azad posted:

Mrkravin
Manlybadasshero
Cjugames

All people who play lots of trash with cool personalities and chill observations but also genuinely engage with the media and provide honest opinions even if it’s garbo which I always appreciate the sincerity.

i like manlybadasshero a lot, since he's a very levelheaded personality and covers much the same horror ground as ABG does. i wouldn't be surprised if people saw him in their feed and didn't click solely because that sounds like the kind of name best avoided on youtube, but he's genuinely great if you want horror playthroughs without markiplier screams

as previously mentioned, alpha beta gamer is also great if you just want the playthrough with zero commentary; survival horror network is another good resource for no commentary horror LPs, especially for larger, longer properties

Jack Trades posted:

any game that's been out for longer than half a day will have a lore video up, especially for cerebral stories like signalis

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 4, 2022

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jack Trades posted:

It's got to only be a matter of time before Sphere Hunter does.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm excited and also prepared to start furiously typing about how their interpretation of the story is wrong.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I recently beat Blair Witch and despite its less-than-stellar take on PTSD I kind of enjoyed it. Some parts that were a bit of a slog, but it really did that trapped-in-the-woods-by-a-supernatural-force thing well, with some genuinely creepy sections. The method of getting the 'good' ending is stupid, but I liked interacting with Bullet throughout the game and keeping him safe.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Jack Trades posted:

It’s not 12 hours, but Goth Gamer God Grimbeard gave it the essay treatment a couple weeks ago.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Grimbeard owns.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

shoc77 posted:

I'm a big fan of iFreeMz

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The checkpointing in Callisto Protocol sucks! At least checkpoint if I use the shop so if I die 2 minutes after I don't have to rebuy poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

shoc77 posted:

I've been watching a bunch of Gab Smolders lately. Can't say if she's played TCP yet, but I've seen her play a bunch of horror games (and some not horror) and she's pleasant, doesn't Markiplier at every jump, and generally is something nice to have on in the background.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Vermain posted:

yup, sorry for the ambiguity, was phoneposting; the game itself is LAZARET

it's one of those titles where you can clearly see the dev team straining against the confines of their budget, but it''s really trying and i sincerely admire that in indie titles far more than someone trying to make something clean and presentable

Thanks for the clarification! I'll check it out

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Vermain posted:

i like manlybadasshero a lot, since he's a very levelheaded personality and covers much the same horror ground as ABG does. i wouldn't be surprised if people saw him in their feed and didn't click solely because that sounds like the kind of name best avoided on youtube, but he's genuinely great if you want horror playthroughs without markiplier screams

:yeah: to this. The name definitely scared me away at first, but he seems chill.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SettingSun posted:

I don't get the combat yet so two zombies in the same place destroys me.

Once the combat "clicks" this is still an issue, the combat doesn't work with multiple targets engaging you. It completely falls apart as they take turns beating the poo poo out of you from angles you can't even see because the camera is so close.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the plasma cutter is not only the funnest gun but making it your only gun also breaks the game and makes it piss easy. it's hilariously broken. kind of insane that I'm hearing Callisto has basically the same doofy upgrade system.

Callisto's upgrade system isn't quite the same, there's very few options and you can't just amass and buy tons of power cores like turning the Plasma Cutter into technological death. Dead Space gives the player a ton of resources to manage, and with good play you'll have so much spare stuff to sell (including ammo) that you can Max out the Plasma Cutter and your suit within the first couple chapters and coast. However, Dead Space gave you a variety of fun weapons that you'll probably be messing around with so in a normal playthrough most people probably won't be shoving all of their Power Cores into a single weapon. Dead Space also had a lot of damage boost upgrades for all of the weapons so you can upgrade them several times damage wise.

Callisto Protocol has very few upgrades and no real customizable paths as to how you want to upgrade, it's pretty cut and dry. I've been very, very diligent about exploring all of the levels to making sure I pick up everything up in order to sell stuff and try and max out my weapons but there really isn't a lot of extra you can forage for and become OP with like you could in Dead Space. I've been putting all of my money into upgrading my weapons and not a single one is maxed out. I've never upgraded the Grip, made ammo, or health just so unlike Dead Space you won't be maxing out your starting weapon to allow you to carry you through the whole game.

sigher fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SettingSun posted:

The checkpointing in Callisto Protocol sucks! At least checkpoint if I use the shop so if I die 2 minutes after I don't have to rebuy poo poo.

One section was an absolute pain because it checkpointed you before the shop and before you opened a bunch of chests with random items in and sometimes when you reloaded those chest would be full of ammo for the crappy weapons that were useless in the next fight.