Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's that one farming isekai (not the ridiculous harem one), where the guy's power isn't immediately usable for combat so he just gets a plot of land in the wilderness and sets up shop. Right next to some of the strongest magical beings in the world, who he befriends through good food and just being an all-around nice person. His group essentially becomes a massive threat to the status quo of the world, but he just wants to hang out and grow rice with his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kwyndig posted:

Oh the Executioner's Way of Life is very good. It's got that kind of yuri where one character is really into another and they have to work on their relationship. Except the titular character wants to just murder the other character and spends most of their plot beats trying to figure out how.

It's also got a couple of great twists.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schubalts posted:

There's that one farming isekai (not the ridiculous harem one), where the guy's power isn't immediately usable for combat so he just gets a plot of land in the wilderness and sets up shop. Right next to some of the strongest magical beings in the world, who he befriends through good food and just being an all-around nice person. His group essentially becomes a massive threat to the status quo of the world, but he just wants to hang out and grow rice with his friends.

Of course the first person he befriends is his big titty mermaid princess wife

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
A friendship with an attractive lady that develops into love and marriage is infinitely better than the sex harems and slaves of other isekai.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Schubalts posted:

A friendship with an attractive lady that develops into love and marriage is infinitely better than the sex harems and slaves of other isekai.

I mean he does meet and marry her because he accidentally caught her while fishing because I guess if you get caught as a mermaid you're married to whoever caught you, but by isekai standards it's practically a tender romance. His reaction to the marriage is basically him asking a new roommate which spare bedroom they want to use.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 5, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the horrific demilich necromancer priest turning into the neighborly grandpa who asks you if you'd like some hard candy.

Shame about the good translators dropping it and then six blind centipedes on a typewriter attempting to pick it up again

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Invictus posted:

I like the horrific demilich necromancer priest turning into the neighborly grandpa who asks you if you'd like some hard candy.

Shame about the good translators dropping it and then six blind centipedes on a typewriter attempting to pick it up again

Just for the record those guys got some proper staff and they've graduated to the lofty heights of "it's okay now". Although I don't think they've gone back to fix those horrific early translations so you might have to power through those.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Anyone want to drop a name because there are a million farm isekai manga.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Guyver posted:

Anyone want to drop a name because there are a million farm isekai manga.

It is "Let's Buy the Land and Cultivate It in a Different World". The Japanese name is "Isekai de Tochi o Katte Noujou o Tsukurou".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

firrup posted:

It is "Let's Buy the Land and Cultivate It in a Different World". The Japanese name is "Isekai de Tochi o Katte Noujou o Tsukurou".

Manga: https://mangadex.org/title/45ed7ed8-23b3-45bf-9b9c-da6e9e88f747/isekai-de-tochi-o-katte-noujou-o-tsukurou

Light Novel: https://vrustl.com/table-of-contents/

The LN is regularly updated and is well-ahead of the manga. I really enjoy it, and look forward to the manga adapting some of the gags.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

firrup posted:

Thanks.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Eminience in Shadow has reverse-isekai’d

I read through the WN awhile back and I’m pretty sure this is a significant deviation from the plot in the most recent chapter. Which is good because I remember dropping it shortly after this point becuse it was losing the fast pacing that was keeping it interesting

https://mangadex.org/title/77bee52c-d2d6-44ad-a33a-1734c1fe696a/kage-no-jitsuryokusha-ni-naritakute

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I think the WN went into an extremely boring zombie arc and then fan translations stopped. This is much better.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I just read an isekai comic on webtoon called Saving a Mercenary Unit from Bankruptcy.

Features
Korean Corporate Consultant Lady gets Isekai'd though she isn't sure why, turns out that getting Isekai'd is common enough that someone literally wrote a book about it in her world.
World she lands in knows about Isekai's already, and is rescued by this merc group who are literally suffering from Financial planning that you would find in a Dril Tweet. I kept reading as soon as I saw the budget item for candles.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

I just read an isekai comic on webtoon called Saving a Mercenary Unit from Bankruptcy.

Features
Korean Corporate Consultant Lady gets Isekai'd though she isn't sure why, turns out that getting Isekai'd is common enough that someone literally wrote a book about it in her world.
World she lands in knows about Isekai's already, and is rescued by this merc group who are literally suffering from Financial planning that you would find in a Dril Tweet. I kept reading as soon as I saw the budget item for candles.

I've been reading it on Mangadex, and it's pretty decent.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oddly, despite the weird premise it doesn't really seem to be a comedy? It plays it completely straight that knowing finance is a superpower in the world of mercenaries.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Let’s Buy the Land and Cultivate It In Another World is legally available in English—or at least the manga is. I’d assume the ln is too, given how these things go. We have the first volume of it in my store

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Brought To You By posted:

Guess the next big isekai super power? Walking

It's very generic and boring so far but I am laughing my rear end off at how every chapter is done by a new person with no experience and has a credits page apologizing for the quality and saying they have no intention of picking up the series :allears:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Swilo posted:

It's very generic and boring so far but I am laughing my rear end off at how every chapter is done by a new person with no experience and has a credits page apologizing for the quality and saying they have no intention of picking up the series :allears:

New chapter dropped and yep, different person scanlating it again.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I like how instead of the main character having to deal with having no combat experience and maybe needing to find ways around fighting using his supreme power to walk, he just dumps a point into swordsmanship and is immediately gifted a really cool starter sword and armor. Story should have been set on Arrakis and the MC has to learn to walk without rhythm or something.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
After three whole chapters, why continue with anything interesting or different from the sea of garbage? :iiam:

I wonder if future novels written by machine learning will be more original or less. Less effort, certainly.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Just read through "The Earth-san Has Leveled Up".
The planet gets isekaied and now dungeons appear everywhere. A cute and fun story.

https://mangadex.org/title/01aa95db-bfc1-4326-9a5c-578e71b04be9/chikyuu-san-wa-level-up-shimashita

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

New chapter dropped and yep, different person scanlating it again.

5th and final chapter (for now), 5th scanlator.

Honestly the scanlation situation is way more entertaining than the manga; I'm going to leave my notifications for it on just to see if chapter 6 also gets a new translator.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

VictualSquid posted:

The planet gets isekaied and now dungeons appear everywhere. A cute and fun story.

https://mangadex.org/title/01aa95db-bfc1-4326-9a5c-578e71b04be9/chikyuu-san-wa-level-up-shimashita

Learn how to mage by bonking enough enemies with your magic book.
Too bad it hasn't seen a new release in 9 months.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

VictualSquid posted:

This is cute but it would be better if the scanlator didn't insist on calling the girl a loving loli.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

I Am Fowl posted:

This is cute but it would be better if the scanlator didn't insist on calling the girl a loving loli.

I bet this is from the original source.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

nrook posted:

I bet this is from the original source.

The web novel also has the loli tag for what it’s worth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isn't that only in the godawful internet chat sections?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nemo2342 posted:

5th and final chapter (for now), 5th scanlator.

Honestly the scanlation situation is way more entertaining than the manga; I'm going to leave my notifications for it on just to see if chapter 6 also gets a new translator.

It's reverse-chapter 200 of Kaguya at this point

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
Watch The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat

And chug a beer every time you see the ugliest most obvious CG wagon in all of anime. The ugly wagon is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite character. Besides that it's fun seeing an isekai with a capable protagonist but it still has too much anime bullshit.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
This manga is dumb as hell but I at least laughed at it starting with the Earth giving patch notes for its newest update.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
I got a laugh out of grimoire mastery making it easier to use the book as a melee weapon, at least. Also the patch notes yeah

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The whole karma system is one thing, but the reveal that people at certain negative karma spontaneously combust is uhhhh

Feels like the author’s support of capital punishment should not have made it into the cute girls going on adventures comic

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fellis posted:

The whole karma system is one thing, but the reveal that people at certain negative karma spontaneously combust is uhhhh

Feels like the author’s support of capital punishment should not have made it into the cute girls going on adventures comic

Capital punishment for drug use if you read carefully. That was that guy's most severe "crime"!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
tbf it seems to be based on reaching a certain negative karma threshold which is probably not reachable via occasional bad behavior

lol at drug use being penalized the most. although in japan that often involves meth.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

God posted:

"You were driving 45 in a zone marked 35; I'm afraid those -15 karma were the final straw, so you'll be burned alive and then dragged into Hell."

Wonder what driving slow in the passing lane gets you.

Kyte posted:

lol at drug use being penalized the most. although in japan that often involves meth.

"But my state legalized recreational marijuanaaaaaa :supaburn:"

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 14, 2022

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
You could potentially do something interesting with a setting where societal disapproval literally caused you to burst into flames, but I doubt that's what this author was going for.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
They could have had some fun with it. Like it's literally the earth doing it. Their first move was destroying all nukes. So the most negative karma should have been like oil and coal ceo/ investors bursting into flames.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That probably happened but it's not really the aim of the story anyways.

Lord Awkward posted:

Wonder what driving slow in the passing lane gets you.
Probably as much as speeding.

quote:

"But my state legalized recreational marijuanaaaaaa :supaburn:"
I wonder if the penalties are relative to your society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

ianmacdo posted:

They could have had some fun with it. Like it's literally the earth doing it. Their first move was destroying all nukes. So the most negative karma should have been like oil and coal ceo/ investors bursting into flames.

Kyte posted:

That probably happened but it's not really the aim of the story anyways.

I wonder if the penalties are relative to your society.

Yeah I was thinking about this also, and I think it’s telling what the author decided to show for their example. Would have been much more interesting if there were some wrinkles to the negative karma about pollution, sustainability, etc. and the definition of harming/helping the earth. Also the societal changes it introduces as people frantically engage in conservation/green energy for their own survival, which could all be just in the background kinda quietly.

But nope, do crimes and get killed. Human-made laws are definitely the metric of absolute justice that people should live and die by. Definitely no problems there