Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I have Korg Fan Club title so I starry eyes every Korg I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I starry eye sick variants people have. Gotta respect the venomized lockjaw

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I know the new season knocks you back 30 levels, but is that from where you are or your high point? Just hit level 60 and I don't want to risk anymore games just in case

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Opopanax posted:

I know the new season knocks you back 30 levels, but is that from where you are or your high point? Just hit level 60 and I don't want to risk anymore games just in case

Where you are.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PJOmega posted:

When do we stop getting bots? I'm in infinite and still get a ridiculous number of them.

You get more bots in Infinite rank than you do from 50-99, because there's less people there.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Opopanax posted:

To be precise, it's 30 ranks back from the x0 below (or equal to) your current rank. So for example anyone between 60 and 69 will be knocked down to 30.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok I guess I’ll try and not play anymore until the new season starts/forget and play a round in an hour

godogg
Dec 29, 2008

PJOmega posted:

It's this. No Wong/Kamar Taj fun.

In addition, Mystique into Absorbing Man does not work. She no longer has an On Reveal.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What are the tells you're playing a bot? I never know

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

This was fun. First time I've seen Hobgoblin turn positive.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Xguard86 posted:

One I heard that they never play on Lemuria on the turn it's revealed.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

I have it. Don't use it. Yep.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just got Shang Chi'd for the first time, welp

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Just had someone drop Zola after building a 40 Venom in Bar Sinister. I think I'm done for the day.

I feel like I'm like one card off of every meta deck but everyone I play against is stacked full with them. Not just that but on the decks I have built that I feel are halfway decent, I never get the right pulls and when I do, my opponent pulls out even better poo poo.

I'm down 10 cube levels over the past week. Every time I feel like I'm making progress to even get close to where I was, I slide another 2 levels.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah for awhile I was sailing through games but once I got to like 35 I have plateaued

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’ve been trying to get a mental model for the importance of snapping well.

Assuming a passive opponent.
If you have a 50% win rate and never snap, but always retreat before losing, it takes 20 games to climb to the next reward (2-1). If you snap every time, it takes 10 games (4-2). If you can be smart about retreating before snapping half the time, it takes 8 games (4+4-2-1). If you are perfect about snapping and retreating, then a 40% win rate (4+4-1-1-1) outpaces never snapping with a 50% win rate. To match the “dumb snapping” pace without ever snapping requires a 70% win rate.

It seems like smart snapping is more impactful for rank than winning a lot, which is interesting. It also seems like it should be easier to get better at evaluating the board state than to get better at winning.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 5, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

priznat posted:

I saw someone else do this too! Weird move, didn’t even have a collector down.

Stealing a third of your opponent's deck is fun.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Managed to hit 70 before reset. Not too bad after being stuck in the 50s for a week

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

doingitwrong posted:

I’ve been trying to get a mental model for the importance of snapping well.

Assuming a passive opponent.
If you have a 50% win rate and never snap, but always retreat before losing, it takes 20 games to climb to the next reward (2-1). If you snap every time, it takes 10 games (4-2). If you can be smart about retreating before snapping half the time, it takes 8 games (4+4-2-1). If you are perfect about snapping and retreating, then a 40% win rate (4+4-1-1-1) outpaces never snapping with a 50% win rate. To match the “dumb snapping” pace without ever snapping requires a 70% win rate.

It seems like smart snapping is more impactful for rank than winning a lot, which is interesting. It also seems like it should be easier to get better at evaluating the board state than to get better at winning.

Thank you for doing the math, it definitely fits. I’m pretty sure I’m actually at 50% or below. I stopped snapping basically entirely when I hit infinite and I’m still at 100 flat after 2 weeks after climbing from 30 in like 2 weeks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a database anywhere listing the source art for variants? Some of them seem to be referencing specific eras or panels and it'd be cool to learn more. Just bought the Magneto variant where he's wearing an all white uniform that has to be from something. It looks sick as hell and I love the Magneto card so I gladly shelled out the gold.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Wait, Sinister can create a clone when played on Death's Domain but White Tiger can't spawn a tiger? That seems inconsistent.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quiggy posted:

Wait, Sinister can create a clone when played on Death's Domain but White Tiger can't spawn a tiger? That seems inconsistent.

I'll load up a On Reveal deck and see if I can replicate this problem. We're other lanes open for the tiger and was there a Cosmo locking the lane?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

quiggy posted:

Was there a Professor X preventing her from spawning a tiger to another space, or the "cards can't be added here on turns 3, 4, and 5" location? (distinct from "cards can't be played here")

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Just had the ultimate form of emote interaction in this game: me and my opponent spider-man pointing at each other... because we both played Spider-man

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Xguard86 posted:

They won’t respond to my emoji taunts!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Just had the ultimate form of emote interaction in this game: me and my opponent spider-man pointing at each other... because we both played Spider-man

Gold trophy achievement version is when you both do it into an empty Avengers Compound on turn four.

I’m really glad Spidey was my first unlock in pool 3. Fits my playstyle perfectly. There’s way too many scary combos in the game to risk letting opponents play cards on turn six.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

buffalo all day posted:

that poo poo looks like george costanza

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quiggy posted:

That took four Death's Domains before I actually drew my White Tiger in a game, but I can confirm that without anything else barring the spawn that a White Tiger played into Death's Domain will spawn a tiger into one of the other lanes. I'm sure my opponent was trying to figure out wtf I was doing on my last turn there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Sailed from rank 60 to 70 on the last day of the season with the stupidest Bar Sinister deck I could think of. Thanks to whoever mentioned playing Quake, it's extremely funny, especially when Bar Sinister is the middle location and you can get them to waste it on something dumb.

# (1) The Hood
# (1) Nova
# (2) Carnage
# (2) Quake
# (2) Viper
# (3) Green Goblin
# (3) Debrii
# (3) Killmonger
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (5) White Tiger
# (5) Blue Marvel
# (6) America Chavez
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTm92YSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSG9vZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiS2lsbG1vbmdlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2hhbmdDaGkifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IldoaXRlVGlnZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlF1YWtlIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJEZWJyaWkifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlZpcGVyIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJHcmVlbkdvYmxpbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQW1lcmljYUNoYXZleiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FybmFnZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTGVhZGVyIn1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

started playing recently. lots of fun at first, but it's really dragging now as I play braindead bots over and over and slowly crawl up this grindy rear end ladder toward the interesting cards. this progression system sucks rear end.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m stuck at lvl 50 and just can’t seem to make progress, kind of annoying. Too often getting snaked in the 6th turn by cards I don’t have like Hela, Leader or Destroyer.

Had one bastard play galactus on turn 4 after a wave :argh:

Game is fun just wish the new cards were faster to get. But that’s the joy of not wanting to spend on f2p!

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Xguard86 posted:

A few possible tells:
- They have one of the beginner avatars
- They use the default purple card back
- They have a simple one word name
- They have impossible-to-have splits (e.g. base cards with effects)
- They don't emote
- They don't play around locations (e.g. they play into Superflow on turn 1)
- They always try to be ahead on board even if it involves making bad plays
- They snap right away (i.e. at the first possible instant) on later turns if they're ahead on board

For later stages of the game where the bots start to be harder to beat, it's worth knowing that bots cheat in two critical ways:
- They see the cards you are playing before they make their plays (i.e. they're basically "perma-Daredevil")
- They know the outcomes of random choices before making them (e.g. they know which card Jubilee will hit if they play it, and they know which card *your* Jubilee will hit)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RevKrule posted:

Just had someone drop Zola after building a 40 Venom in Bar Sinister. I think I'm done for the day.

I feel like I'm like one card off of every meta deck but everyone I play against is stacked full with them. Not just that but on the decks I have built that I feel are halfway decent, I never get the right pulls and when I do, my opponent pulls out even better poo poo.

I'm down 10 cube levels over the past week. Every time I feel like I'm making progress to even get close to where I was, I slide another 2 levels.

I noticed this happening to me earlier in the season. My best advice is that when you're seeing yourself slide, don't push. Do your dailies, and that's it. The bad vibe, for me at least, tends to translate into the game and I play worse than usual.
As to your decks, there's a lot of meta decks, and even at my ~1k CL I have enough stuff for an attempt at some of them. Not all, and me lacking Wong and Dracula does stop me from two of the more obvious ones, but I can still put together something DeathWave-y, or Patriot, and I'm still getting wins with the Series 2 Zoo deck posted here some time ago.

And yeah, I really hope they don't just release busted cards then nerf them. I don't mind stuff being a bit pushed, just dislike that kind of pushing

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Man when my MOVE! deck really went into overdrive once I picked up Cloak and now Vulture. It was a struggle to get to 50 but in one day I’m nearly at 60.

It’s really cool when almost every card in your deck has synergy with the rest, so no matter what you draw there’s a clear plan of attack.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Whoever suggested Jane Foster for my Mr Negative deck was a genius!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I got tired of being wrecked by pool 3 cards that I'm seemingly light years away from earning, so tried my hand at a deck that mainly aims to just prevent the opponent from playing cards period.

I'm actually having a bit of luck with it, especially with Green Goblin on Bar Sinister atm.

# (1) Iceman
# (1) Yondu
# (2) Cable
# (2) Domino
# (3) Green Goblin
# (4) Jubilee
# (4) Sandman
# (4) Spider-Man
# (5) Hobgoblin
# (5) Leech
# (5) Professor X
# (6) Hulk
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSWNlbWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJZb25kdSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiR3JlZW5Hb2JsaW4ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ikp1YmlsZWUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNhbmRtYW4ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNwaWRlck1hbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSG9iZ29ibGluIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJMZWVjaCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiUHJvZmVzc29yWCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FibGUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRvbWlubyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSHVsayJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

tl;dr I should've screenshotted the match

PJOmega posted:

I'll load up a On Reveal deck and see if I can replicate this problem. We're other lanes open for the tiger and was there a Cosmo locking the lane?

There was room and no Cosmo.

goferchan posted:

Was there a Professor X preventing her from spawning a tiger to another space, or the "cards can't be added here on turns 3, 4, and 5" location? (distinct from "cards can't be played here")

Nope.

PJOmega posted:

That took four Death's Domains before I actually drew my White Tiger in a game, but I can confirm that without anything else barring the spawn that a White Tiger played into Death's Domain will spawn a tiger into one of the other lanes. I'm sure my opponent was trying to figure out wtf I was doing on my last turn there.

Hmm, weird. There must've been some additional effect that caused it to play out that way, but that was a real unpleasant way to lose.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I just opened Kingpin, and I got Aero and Magneto to synergize pretty well with him. Im wondering whats the optimal way to fill the other 9 slots? I have Daredevil, so him with Prof. X could make it more Control-ly, or should it lean more towards the Move archetype?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Banjo Bones posted:

I just opened Kingpin, and I got Aero and Magneto to synergize pretty well with him. Im wondering whats the optimal way to fill the other 9 slots? I have Daredevil, so him with Prof. X could make it more Control-ly, or should it lean more towards the Move archetype?

Odin goes well with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Banjo Bones posted:

I'm playing a deck with Iceman, Scorpion, Kraven, Green Goblin, Polaris, Kingpin, Killmonger, Storm, JJ, Enchantress, Aero, Magneto. I would add Juggernaut or Daredevil if I had them.
So a reverse move deck with other control cards. It's working decently and is quite fun at rank 75. (Plus Kingpin absolutely destroys move decks the rare time I encounter them)
But going the other way around seems perfectly valid too.