Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

MrMojok posted:

Do we know % of vote for the others?

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1599572698988150785?s=46&t=_xV5iwqQEkSR_3aLrcmmyQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lol they're never getting in, thanks so much

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/samlindauer/status/1599452712885977089?s=46&t=BpAFq-2YcCPhZKxZMyp-Ug

My list is in the quotes but I put

Ruth
Bonds
Pedro
Mays
Flood
Ohtani
Jeter
Koufax
Shoeless Joe
Jackie

The cool thing about this exercise is that there’s truly no wrong answer

By decade if it's about interesting stories and the state of the game at the time and not the best player of the decade

1920s - Babe Ruth
1930s - Lou Gerhig
1940s - Jackie Robinson
1950s - Mays/Williams
1960s - Hank Aaron
70s - Joe Morgan
80s - Ricky Henderson
90s - Bonds
2000s - ARod
2010s - Altuve

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Oh man, gently caress Fred McGriff apparently

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1599575441656152064?t=XJ2b3jeQpuduZxqXWiCBJQ&s=19

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Baseball Hall Of Fame is a JOKE and a SHAM

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't think there was ever a time that he played when Fred McGriff was one of the 10 best players in baseball. He's not a hall of famer IMO. Good player, not great.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not a surprise considering two of his teammates were on the voting committee

McGriff is a pretty reasonable HOFer and he'd have been in years ago if he'd got the 7 HR he needed for 500.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McGriff rules and deserves it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

I hope he goes in with a Tom Emanski hat

:hmmyes:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

elentar posted:

McGriff is a pretty reasonable HOFer and he'd have been in years ago if he'd got the 7 HR he needed for 500.
I don't have a huge problem with him getting in, he's definitely better than say, Jim Rice

But it's ridiculous that he's a unanimous vote and Bonds/Clemens got like 4 votes each

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The best is that Don Mattingly came close to getting in, too. :lol:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

McGriff's case

-dingers
-elite nickname
-legendary commercial
-played for the Cubs

That's a hall of famer right there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm hopeful that Schilling getting just over half the votes he needed portends him not getting in while he's alive

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
HOF confirmed as worthless institution dedicated to a silly culture war and not the history of baseball

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Well, remember the members of the committee: Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux, Jack Morris, Ryne Sandberg, Lee Smith, Frank Thomas, Alan Trammell, Paul Beeston, Theo Epstein, Arte Moreno, Kim Ng, Dave St. Peter, Ken Williams, Steve Hirdt, LaVelle Neal and Susan Slusser.

Trammell, Thomas, Sandberg, Morris and Maddux were all going to be automatic no votes for Steroid Era guys, which guaranteed that Bonds and Clemens didn't have a chance in hell of crossing the 75 percent threshold.

I think the next time the Contemporary Era committee reconvenes is in 2025.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

They broke the curse and won a bunch and beefed up the stadium and poo poo. So now they can just do whatever, have ups and downs, let favs go, and it’s all house money so whatever. And if the fanbase ever gets mad at stops coming it will be time to sell.

At least I assume that’s the deal.

On the other hand I used to be an every day watch and MLB.tv sub and have watched like 10 games a season over the last few and I know many others doing similar. Trading Mookie broke a lot of brains and if they want to keep on that plan it will probably work but it won't be the same.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
very cool the Hall is now officially completely loving useless, that's tight

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

fast cars loose anus posted:

HOF confirmed as worthless institution dedicated to a silly culture war and not the history of baseball

maffew buildings posted:

very cool the Hall is now officially completely loving useless, that's tight

:emptyquote:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

More like the Hall of Lame

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Did people really expect any other result? Bonds + clemens aren't getting in for another 20 years at least.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kind of sad that they’d both be in easily if they had respected the integrity of the game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GalacticAcid posted:

Kind of sad that they’d both be in easily if they had respected the integrity of the game.

Hello there, Mr. Sandberg.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

makes my blood boil seeing CHEATERS even considered for the Hall of Fame, where there are NO CHEATERS and baseball 100% does not have a history of CONSTANT CHEATING

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's insane that's they aren't in but the moment the committee was announced it was obvious Mcgriff was getting elected to prove a point and that Bonds + Clemens would be rejected by their peers to also prove a point.

The specific people chosen were chosen to give cover to the BBWA for not electing Bonds and Clemens previously. "See even their contemporaries don't think they deserve it. We were always right!!!"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

maffew buildings posted:

makes my blood boil seeing CHEATERS even considered for the Hall of Fame, where there are NO CHEATERS and baseball 100% does not have a history of CONSTANT CHEATING

now lets tell folksy tales of gaylord perry throwing greaseballs or phil niekro using a nail file on the ball

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's insane that's they aren't in but the moment the committee was announced it was obvious Mcgriff was getting elected to prove a point and that Bonds + Clemens would be rejected by their peers to also prove a point.

The specific people chosen were chosen to give cover to the BBWA for not electing Bonds and Clemens previously. "See even their contemporaries don't think they deserve it. We were always right!!!"

I'm not sure what your argument is tbh. I was mad before this, I am mad again now, and I will continue to be mad after this. It's not some big surprise but it's still dumb as hell

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

The cheaters before the steroid era were all charming, loveable rascals. Steroids ruined a wholesome, pure game. Thankfully it's been totally purged from the sport now that there is testing and we can all sleep safely knowing they are playing clean.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Related:

https://twitter.com/peteabe/status/1599576378659115008?s=46&t=Sn-YC-6ddbEA6tEWoKW7KA

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

camoseven posted:

I'm not sure what your argument is tbh. I was mad before this, I am mad again now, and I will continue to be mad after this. It's not some big surprise but it's still dumb as hell

The the hall being worthless has been true for 30 years. Flood still isn't in and the BBWA+the various committees conspired to keep Marvin Miller out until he finally told them to gently caress off.

The same people are doing the same thing again that they've always done.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 5, 2022

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Keeping Schilling out because he's a dickbag is even dumber; at least using PEDs is cheating even if most everyone was doing it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
on the other hand I love that Schilling has to pretend not to be mad about being kept out

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’ve said this before but I hope Schilling gets inducted posthumously very soon

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm just sad Kenny Lofton isn't in (spare me the explanation of why you don't think he belongs, I don't care)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

wow, I forgot about Lofton being one and done on the ballot. the BBWAA can't miss!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

I’ve said this before but I hope Schilling gets inducted posthumously very soon

:hmmyes:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Intruder posted:

on the other hand I love that Schilling has to pretend not to be mad about being kept out

it is fun to watch him suffer

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I remember being at a friend's house in the mid to late 90s and he had a no-real-players baseball game on his computer (holyshit!hehasa~Computer~) and one of the players was named Griff McFred

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Guards picking up Sean Murphy would be massive, especially offensively considering Hedges was a vaccuum, but I don't know how much of their money is already tied up and what Murphy is looking for.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fast cars loose anus posted:

Keeping Schilling out because he's a dickbag is even dumber; at least using PEDs is cheating even if most everyone was doing it

Who cares at this point. There are a bunch of players who are in who don’t belong and guys who will never get in who do. Why give Schilling any satisfaction? He’s a scumbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

wow, I forgot about Lofton being one and done on the ballot. the BBWAA can't miss!

Same with Lou Whitaker, one of the best 2Bs of all time.