Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh wait it was about content not f2p income.

in that case then it really depends on what you value. if were just talking minutes of gameplay content then sure genshin is more substantial in large bursts but there's also trickles where there's not a ton to do. arknights pretty much always has new challenge content and stuff coming out, and a permanent roguelike mode that is way more interesting than spiral abyss. it is a much easier game to stay engaged with.

and in terms of story content the event stories are way, way more substantial than even the most involved genshin event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I don't mean to downplay the value of just having a huge world to explore, but you're done in like, a week or two after a new expansion? And every single event that comes out in between is complete trash. The Spiral Abyss waffles on the line between bullshit and trivial depending on how much you care about swapping out your teams. You can log in every day to spend your resin, but this is mind-numbingly boring and you can't "auto" even the easiest domain so it ends up wasting a significant chunk of attention on something utterly meaningless.

So basically you log in once a year to get a gigantic new country to explore, yay, how fun! And then stop playing in between big patches because nothing interesting will come out.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 5, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

genshin is definitely something youre meant to play an hour or two a day tops and often missing days so in those cases exploration lasts you a while as main content but yeah if you actively mainline it like it is the main thing you are currently playing then you'll exhaust what it has pretty quickly.

i get they dont want super hard endgame content but they could really try for something like arknights' integrated strategies to give you a practical reason to raise a variety of characters. the mechanics for it are basically already in the game and they could just reuse chunks of the explorable maps as arenas, i dont think itd be that hard to do.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
It's not really about the value. Just in terms of raw manpower, the gap between something like a VN and a large fully explorable 3d environment is immense.

It's like, someone comes up to me, gives me some pens and notebooks, and tells me I have a year to write a book, alone. I can do it, it's fine. It's gonna be pretty poo poo but whatever. Versus, someone comes up to me and tells me I have a year to write a story, which at minimum needs to be 1 billion pages long. Then she dumps like a dumpster full of pens and a math problem's worth of paper in my general area and I'm like, excuse me, ma'am, I'm pretty sure this is physically impossible???

The fact that they can even do it at all, is what's impressive. That it's actually decent is just a bonus, really.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They've had events with fatigue mechanics, they just weren't difficult even under those conditions. Whenever they iterate on that event style, they just need to include the difficulty levels/multiplier from other events or something similar, so it can remain accessible while offering challenge. We also feel overdue for another Vagabond Sword event, after this cube one turning out to be a snooze.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Scaramouche has datamined lines, and it turns out the crazy theory about dangos being a Bohemiam Rhapsody reference was true. The bastards planned this a year in advance.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Ruby Prism posted:

I played Arknights for roughly a year, keeping up with new content and completing all events, and I have no idea how you can equate one of their patches to even just Sumeru in 3.0, let alone an entire country's worth of content, such as Inazuma now that it got all of its permanent content added.

I feel like you're massively overstating the amount even bigger Arknights patches put out, and that's including the long VN sections.

As for Genshin events, they're usually split into two categories... the recycled and generic ones, which I'll agree are often forgettable... and "patch flagship" ones, which are fully voiced, with plenty of character development, lore, and more fleshed out gameplay.

Hopefully they make those accessible eventually to new or returning players.

I've been playing Arknights since just about release and still am active (haven't missed any event and am up to date on permanent stuff) so I had much the same reaction: huh?

They're also really not that similar though. Other than "gacha" but I think gacha is a pretty poor description of genre as time goes on and gacha games play extremely differently. Serious apples to oranges here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MoonCrab posted:

It's not really about the value. Just in terms of raw manpower, the gap between something like a VN and a large fully explorable 3d environment is immense.

It's like, someone comes up to me, gives me some pens and notebooks, and tells me I have a year to write a book, alone. I can do it, it's fine. It's gonna be pretty poo poo but whatever. Versus, someone comes up to me and tells me I have a year to write a story, which at minimum needs to be 1 billion pages long. Then she dumps like a dumpster full of pens and a math problem's worth of paper in my general area and I'm like, excuse me, ma'am, I'm pretty sure this is physically impossible???

The fact that they can even do it at all, is what's impressive. That it's actually decent is just a bonus, really.

Is it, really? Spending infinite manhours making sub-decent content would actually strike me as a complete waste of everyone's time and I am glad no one has actually decided to do that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theyre hard games to compare i agree but for as much money as genshin makes and how big it is theres definitely places where it feels a little light on like, things that exist.

like how many characters are stated to have big relationships with each other and then have maybe 12 lines of dialog to each other including in limited time events.

why is kujou sara alive

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The original post I was responding to said "service games" which is even broader than gacha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand i suppose genshin has better character work than destiny 2

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have been having spectacular luck converting emblem artifacts into vv. I'm up from 1 atk and EM hourglass to 5 atk and 6 EM hourglasses and an EM goblet as well. I've been posting about that success in the past so I'm going to keep it going just in case.

Haven't had a second EM hat yet, though I'm sure I mulched some 5* ones in the past.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Clarste posted:

Yeah, I don't mean to downplay the value of just having a huge world to explore, but you're done in like, a week or two after a new expansion?

Given that nowadays countries take several patches to be fully released, that is clearly not the case. The much of the Desert region of Sumeru didn't release until 3.1 (quite a bit of it is still not released) and the main storyline wasn't resolved until 3.2.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 5, 2022

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

theyre hard games to compare i agree but for as much money as genshin makes and how big it is theres definitely places where it feels a little light on like, things that exist.

like how many characters are stated to have big relationships with each other and then have maybe 12 lines of dialog to each other including in limited time events.

why is kujou sara alive

It seems like the windfall they've made on Genshin is primarily focused on going wide with new projects (the cancelled one, star rail, zzz, honkai 4, maybe more who knows) rather than try to endlessly expand the scope of the Genshin team. Stuff like the character release schedule is very much in line with their plans pre-release before the game blew up. It might be difficult to actually meaningfully change or improve those teams while in motion compared to doing stuff like the card game, or forming another team to work on explorable content beyond the scope of the main continents like summer islands or chasm's interior.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Elentor posted:

I think this game has terrible story and aesthetics because I don't like anime, but the amount of world that simply exists is incredible and when I was told it's a 2-3 years old game I was blown away because the amount of open world it has is like many, many years of WoW worth of content except it doesn't suck because I can explore and do poo poo and go "can I climb this huge crater" and suddenly I was in Sumeru without even finishing the geo archon quest.

I came to this game with a lot of prejudice and I mean, gently caress, I had more fun climbing the Raiden's house than playing Getting Over It, I had more fun doing the puzzles in [submerged ruin I can't remember the name] than I had in entire puzzle games. And the most impressive part is that at no point did I reach the dreaded gacha wall of difficulty spike that every other game I played had where suddenly the game jumped from very easy to nearly impossible. I was warned the game had a bunch of level gates where I'd be halted in the questline until I got to some adventurer level that required dailies or a lot of grinds but since the exploration was so drat good I never really encountered any of those, I realized that I could play this game just for the fun of logging in and exploring a world so goddamn huge I would likely never complete it faster than they release content and the most liberating part was the realization that, really, I didn't actually need to do dailies or jack poo poo.

If there's any other huge rear end world exploration + puzzle game that releases content frequently and don't put up an invisible wall preventing me from walking to endgame areas just because I want to and the enemies won't insta-kill me because they're 3 levels above and that means death then I'd love to play it, but until then aiming at the clouds and headshotting some tauren lookalikes 400m away in this game is like, pure joy.

There's a really nice climb up a whole bunch of detached bark spirals for a dendroculus that gave me extremely strong Getting Over It vibes.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, its world area is locked behind like 10 hours of aranara adventures, but those adventures aren't locked behind anything. If you're sneaking into them early, please use the waverider waypoints to grab a ride upriver when the game sends you on a big journey upriver. You'll need to get at least a little familiar with the slightly strange boat controls and boat momentum for... later events.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mikemil828 posted:

Compared to something like say PSO 2: NGS it's not that weird. Wow, did that game drop off a cliff...

You know what is weird? The amount of people that want to spend money on this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEE_-87mNE

im going to spend my 110ish free intertwined fates on that guy
ill never spend realmoney on gacha rolls though.
(i'd consider paying for a skin if they released a good one...)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When are they gonna release la signora as a playable character

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I started playing because I wanted to play Breath of the Wild on PC :shrug:. I was immediately disappointed by the lack of dress up.

The last gatcha game I had played was Gems of War.

Edit: Also I remember first reading about this game and every third post being about re-rolling new accounts for better characters, it nearly scared me off. God drat that was weird.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 5, 2022

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Elentor posted:

Never. Well, maybe. There's always a chance!

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Playing Tart against this pyro cube just for fun.

He's actually a lot more decent than I remember him being! Appreciate his strong frontloaded burst damage, and once you get used to aimed mode his charged shots are also surprisingly decent. But I gotta say, after playing such overpowering onfield hydro juggernauts as TTDS tenacity Kokomi and level 50 C0 Candace, i'm beginning to feel that his skill cooldown coulda been 0. Literally just straight up 0. Maybe a separate CD for his skill activation attack, so that his gameplay doesn't degenerate into popping his knives in and out repeatedly. Even if it'd be pretty funny.

I legitimately believe it'd make very little difference in his strongest teams, but would make playing him casually a lot more fun.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baiard posted:

When I found out some villains/bosses are playable characters she was literally the only character that I was like "oh cool can I play as her that's one angry angry lady" and the answer was no.

I cannot express my disappointment.

I wander the world as an apathetic goat.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Baiard posted:

The game has split selves, time hijinks and multiple flavors of synthetic life. Never say never.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Elentor posted:

She's a playable card in the TCG! Sorta...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My second biggest frustration was getting candace C6, looking at her and thinking finally a strong looking woman for me to main as, then finding out that she is a loving support character holy poo poo is there a biggest kick in the balls as her C6.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
a mad scientist in fontaine is gonna clone signora using a dna sample from the ashes and she'll be added as a 4 star on the archon's banner, in a resurrected 5 year old body grown in a clone vat

also play beidou, an actually good strong female character(tm)
(they'll never add a lady with defined muscles though. or pants. or flats, apparently. that's not very Anime)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 5, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elentor posted:

My second biggest frustration was getting candace C6, looking at her and thinking finally a strong looking woman for me to main as, then finding out that she is a loving support character holy poo poo is there a biggest kick in the balls as her C6.
just run main dps candace, unless youre going for spiral abyss speedruns it wont affect you at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

source: ive cleared spiral abyss with phys dps dori

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

a mad scientist in fontaine is gonna clone signora using a dna sample from the ashes and she'll be added as a 4 star on the archon's banner, in a resurrected 5 year old body grown in a clone vat

(they'll never add a lady with defined muscles though. or pants. or flats, apparently. that's not very Anime)

This game has literally 0 characters that are representative of me and it feels frustrating at times.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Endorph posted:

just run main dps candace, unless youre going for spiral abyss speedruns it wont affect you at all

Do this, pretend that c6 ability doesn't exist. (Explicitly excluding her from it is pretty rough lol).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baiard posted:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wonder if it's an engine problem or what. If characters resembled their art more, there'd be a lot less issues.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

mad scientist in fontaine is gonna clone signora using a dna sample from the ashes and she'll be added as a 4 star on the archon's banner, in a resurrected 5 year old body grown in a clone vat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

If it turns out Signora has a twin I'm gonna loving lose my mind

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Actually with her burst turning normal attacks elemental, couldn't Candace make a passable substitution for Childe in an International comp?

Run her with Bennett, Xiangling, and a flex, use her to vape Xiangling's Bennett boosted pyronado?

I mean I guess she'd be more of a driver than a dps there, but in practice there's not a lot of difference between "Candace does most of the damage" and "on-field Candace enables off-field Xiangling to do most of the damage."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret is basicalyl any character in the game can be an onfield driver for international

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Game's only gotten easier now that tens of thousands more people are playing it and might have an idea of what you're talking about when you say that 'Trails in Tianqiu has been kicking my rear end for 6 days'

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Cool, dungeon's coming back (this tweet)

And while you wait, two whole web events:

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1599629643165978624

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1599644742408671232

But the second one is some mobile-only nonsense (which you can get around by getting a pc browser to convince the site it's a phone/tablet, there's various instructions in the responses, seems like you actually do need to mess around with responsive design mode to get it to load the page, then you can switch it back off).

Unlocking those cards isn't going to give you any in-game, but you get gems and money and whatever from unlocking amounts of cards. Also I guess it's neat that you can see what the cards do, assuming they don't change it in between now and whenever that launches. Also y'know, pictures.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Looks like in the card game there are 8 cryo cards and 3 geo cards. Lmao.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://youtu.be/0grd767X4Jg

Grandma, plz stop yelling at me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Uh Jean has pants

Kale
May 14, 2010

Scoss posted:

I'm saying that Genshin's rate of overall power creep is slower than most other games and that many of the relatively early units are still perfectly viable even relative to new ones. Many of the newer 4* units are actually worse than a lot of the launch 4* units. I don't see how this is a contentious observation.

It's much more apparent in Honkai then virtually any other GAAS I think I've ever played really. I got the chance to use a trial character that came out this year after using the starting characters from 2018 for a while now and it's more stark than even moving on from Lisa/Kaeya/Traveller/Barbara/Amber to virtually anyone else. Such smoother movement and unique animations for skills and even cutaway animations for Ults. This is mostly because the starter units in that game move like absolute complete dogshit. Basically imagine if every character you got for free's sprint mechanic was the equivalent of Kujou Sara's E-skill movement is the best way I could describe it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Regarding ongoing conversation, I would like to see them expand the character stories for some of the ones they have already introduced rather than focusing exclusively on having a steady stream of new ones nearly every patch and just an endless parade of Act 1's. It's something I've wondered about for a while, because other than a couple of Archons like Zhongli and Raiden there isn't a character that has had a second part to their personal story yet and in both cases IMO even just having one 2ish hour one did a lot of good for expanding their and their nations lore and fleshing them out. This sort of makes it so that you get to see the characters mostly in an ensemble scenario when they appear in an event, but they are relegated to getting piecemeal dialogue in and amongst a dozen or so other characters, that is usually focused more on showcasing the event and only sparing a bit of time for the characters quirky personalities.

I'm guessing now that's maybe only going to come after they've introduced all the playable regions that are probably taking up the majority of development time and focus though.