Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It seems entirely plausible to me that, on aggregate, Leafs fans are not just awful but awful relative to other NHL fanbases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Toronto has a population greater than other provinces so of course no one is going to want to listen about the Jets loving 3rd line scoring struggles when only 4 people would even read that article.

Want less Leafs coverage, start growing your fanbases via babies.

You babies.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

there's a lot of good up and coming teams in canada and they might just surprise you if you pay attention to them instead of toronto

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Anyway, Calle Jarnkrok got injured so the Leafs called up Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I would also prefer fewer articles written about the Leafs because most Toronto sportswriters are awful

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway, Calle Jarnkrok got injured so the Leafs called up Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

Keefe can’t wait to bench Nick Robertson for him

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Keefe can’t wait to bench Nick Robertson for him

At least this time he's swapping like for like.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Call Your Grandma posted:

there's a lot of good up and coming teams in canada and they might just surprise you if you pay attention to them instead of toronto

[citation needed]

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

T-Bone posted:

[citation needed]

The Raptors and Jays are fun teams.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

The Raptors and Jays are fun teams.

They said “instead of Toronto” but also the Jays are “fun” in basically the exact same way as the Leafs, the only difference is they need another bad exit or two for people to become jaded

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Drunk Canuck posted:

Toronto has a population greater than other provinces so of course no one is going to want to listen about the Jets loving 3rd line scoring struggles when only 4 people would even read that article.

You babies.

Those babies will just grow up and move to Toronto though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's not our fault that the GTA stretches from Regina to Cape Breton.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

They said “instead of Toronto” but also the Jays are “fun” in basically the exact same way as the Leafs, the only difference is they need another bad exit or two for people to become jaded

The Jays have won a playoff series in the last decade at least.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i knew a kid in high school who, despite growing up in metro detroit in the 90s like the rest of us was inexplicably a leafs fan.
i checked in on his social media presence a few years back and he had changed all of his profiles to include the "Dr." title (he's a paleontologist).
That's my leafs fan story

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

i knew a kid in high school who, despite growing up in metro detroit in the 90s like the rest of us was inexplicably a leafs fan.
i checked in on his social media presence a few years back and he had changed all of his profiles to include the "Dr." title (he's a paleontologist).

look paleontologists definitely get to be doctors. you ask any kid, who's cooler, a human doctor or a DINOSAUR doctor

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Hand Knit posted:

Don't just make up names come on.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jays have won a playoff series in the last decade at least.

We’re obviously talking about the current incarnations of the teams

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Stars remain winless after 60 but another amazing comeback for a point..

I just feel like all these dropped points in OT or shootout are going to come back to bite them.. Dallas missed the playoffs in 2020-21 only because they had the worst record in extra time and made the playoffs last year only because they were the best at it. Well it looks like they are right back down at the bottom again, it's apparent from their own history how huge a factor those extra points can be at the end of the year.

**also you know the fact that a team with largely the same roster can go from worst to best and then back to worst in OT/shootout record is a good indication of how bullshit and non skill based 3v3 OT and the shootout is lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 4, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Porty is hinting that Jake Voracek is announcing his retirement tomorrow due to concussions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look at the Leafs fan to your right. Now look at the Leafs fan to your left.

If neither of them is an rear end in a top hat, then it’s you.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

CBJSprague24 posted:

Porty is hinting that Jake Voracek is announcing his retirement tomorrow due to concussions.

That's too bad, I thought it was going to be a great situation for him there this season. Hell of a career

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

More context about the thought process that goes into players with extended concussion issues retiring as opposed to playing on:

quote:

“At the time, I felt that I could play and still could have battled through certain things,” Nash said. “I can only speak to my situation, but I just made the decision that my family was more important to me than the game.

“The game gave me a special life, but if I can’t live comfortably after that, what was the point of all those years? I wanted to watch my kids grow up more. I have no regrets. The further I get away from my playing days, I know I made the right decision.”

Nash would have signed a contract to return to the Blue Jackets had his concussion symptoms cleared and doctors permitted him to play again. Instead, he’s been working for the organization since a few months after he retired.

“At the odd time (the old symptoms) will still creep up,” Nash said. “But it gets better and better.”

I'm glad Rick did what was best for himself, but there's still a piece of me that would've loved to have seen what he would've been able to add to the 2018-19 CBJ in one last hurrah.

https://theathletic.com/3962091/2022/12/04/blue-jackets-jakub-voracek-elvis-merzlikins/

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DOOMocrat posted:

https://twitter.com/grodysattva/status/1599535253256896516

at least I got this one for the folder

hell of a point imo

MAF still trying poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Johnny Gaudreau just moved into a tie for the most assists since January 1st with McJesus at 72.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

McDavid in his last 82 games has 54 goals, 102 assists, for 156 points

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

yeah but what about 5v5

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Oh good, with yet another injury, Avs are going to have their 23rd forward dress with them tomorrow night. When Landeskog and Helm are finally healthy, it will guarantee at least 25 different forwards having played on the Avs this season. At least there's only been 9 defensemen so far.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

If you asked me which goalie once completed a game with a hot dog in his equipment, yeah Garrett would have been my first guess. He's a gem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Look at the Leafs fan to your right. Now look at the Leafs fan to your left.

If neither of them is an rear end in a top hat, then it’s you.

I just see my monitors.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Drunk Canuck posted:

You babies.

It’s not just Toronto, it’s the entirety of the region known as Southern Ontario, where 36% of Canada’s population lives. Yes I just looked that up but it’s handy to know considering I live across the river from it.

Buffalo is in Erie County which has a population of ~900k, include Niagara County and it’s like 1.2m people. Very small in comparison. Nobody cares about the Sabres.

… in spite of that, just gonna leave these two goals by Jack Quinn, who won AHL rookie of the year last year. The first goal is pretty insane. If he keeps on this scoring pace (6-4-10 in his last 9 games) he could be a Calder candidate.

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1599577983454687234?s=46&t=hpXkqW8_Wal_rdFDqhixig

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1599589179683672066?s=46&t=hpXkqW8_Wal_rdFDqhixig

Also Dahlin murdered a guy last night.

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1599574820865597441?s=46&t=hpXkqW8_Wal_rdFDqhixig

Dahlin is insanely good this season, to the point that he could win the Norris. He’s 2nd among defensemen in points and has elevated his defensive game. Many people are saying this.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also Dahlin murdered a guy last night.

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1599574820865597441?s=46&t=hpXkqW8_Wal_rdFDqhixig

Dahlin is insanely good this season, to the point that he could win the Norris. He’s 2nd among defensemen in points and has elevated his defensive game. Many people are saying this.

Dahlin definitely has the rear end to throw the stinger. Seeing his skates flailing in the air after though is :eek:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dahlin has been good. I'm not sure if his scoring is sustainable though just because:
A) Defensemen rarely keep this pace up all year and
B) Is he actually an offensive player? Or is he just on a hot streak? This part is more just general ignorance, but I thought the general scouting report on him was that he's an excellent defensive two-way player, and he's capable of putting up points, but that he's not an offense-first defenseman who's going to put up points like Prime Karlsson or Mike Green or whatever.

Then again, if you look at the defensemen who are scoring 1.0 points-per-game or better, it's a lot of elite players (or formerly, in the case of Karlsson) who we'd generally expect to be in the Norris conversation. Plus Josh Morrissey. It does seem like scoring is up, maybe being around that level of production is more likely for elite defensemen now? If you take a look at last years numbers there were five defensemen with 70+ points, which seems crazy, and another 3 who ended up with 68. Ekblad also ended up with 57 points, but in 61 games.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 5, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dahlin has a great shot and can move the puck really well. He has great hands and can slip by defenders to get into a great scoring position or make insanely good passes. I’ve already forgotten the exact number but he set the record this season by scoring a goal in each of their first 6 or 7 games? I think the previous record was 5. He’s current on something crazy like a 94 point pace. He’s really, really good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
What's crazier to me is that Erik Karlsson is playing as well as he is this year. Like, Dahlin and Makar and those guys are scoring a lot, with like half their points coming on the power play (which is important, you want to score on the PP). Karlsson has 26 even strength points. No defenseman has more, only Crosby and Robertson have more for all skaters. I doubt Karlsson can keep scoring like this for the whole season, but it'd be kind of cool if he's having a career renaissance and wins another Norris. I think he's one of the best defensemen of the modern era and it's a shame that injuries have shut him down for so long.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dahlin put up 40 points in his rookie season for a pure trash heap of a team. He can move the puck and has a nice shot and those raw skills have clearly been elevated through his NHL seasons. He's finally putting it together. I don't think he is a point per game type of player but but Buffalo's good young offensive core I can see Dahlin being a 60-65pt defenseman.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think he's one of the best defensemen of the modern era and it's a shame that injuries have shut him down for so long.

One of the best offensive defensemen, maybe. Just looking at GSVA, Fox, Dahlin, Pietro, Hamilton, Lindholm, Siegenthaler, Makar, Theodore are all above him because his defense kind of stinks still. That was true even in his prime.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

clean ayers act posted:

being both a Lions and Leafs fan is grounds for being institutionalized. One of my best friends has dual citizenship and grew up in metro Detroit, so he loves the Wings and the Leafs as both count as hometown teams between his family and his friends. he absolutely has refused to care about the Lions his entire life

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

being both a Lions and Leafs fan is grounds for being institutionalized. One of my best friends has dual citizenship and grew up in metro Detroit, so he loves the Wings and the Leafs as both count as hometown teams between his family and his friends. he absolutely has refused to care about the Lions his entire life

I can see Leaf/Wing combo fans for people that grew up in Detroit/Windsor during the pre-cable era if you got both games OTA and that was the only hockey you could watch. I still have a bit of a soft spot for the Sabres from getting their games back in the day.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

WoodrowSkillson posted:

does he eat hot dog bowls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How does he feel about the Toronto Argonauts?