Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Mode Code Vein, it does something I don't think I've heard any other Soulsborne do before, when you go onto NG+ it asks you if you want to up the difficulty or not, and if you're above base difficulty it asks if you want to decrease it too. Makes further runs for achievements much quicker when you can bring your maxed items to a base level rerun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

2house2fly posted:

That ending had me so hype back in 07. My friend was disappointed that they ended on a cliffhanger but personally I figured you know how the story would continue from there anyway

The first hour or so of God of War 3 is the direct continuation of that, and boy does it deliver. I remember thinking that sequence was better than the Clash of the Titans movie reboot that came out around the same time

The rest of the game never reaches those heights again, but drat that first battle was a tour de force

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

haveblue posted:

The rest of the game never reaches those heights again, but drat that first battle was a tour de force
Isn't that pretty much every God of War game.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat God of War 2 on ps2. I loved the ending with Kratos bringing the titans to the future from before they were bound and leading them up Olympus, with "The End Begins..." as the finale title card. That was a cool idea.

An eternal cliffhanger for me (never had a ps3)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat God of War 2 on ps2. I loved the ending with Kratos bringing the titans to the future from before they were bound and leading them up Olympus, with "The End Begins..." as the finale title card. That was a cool idea.

There's a quick reference to that in the new God of War.
You're having a conversation with another character, and Mimir, your severed head friend.

Ragnarock Spoilers:

Freya starts talking about if she could go back in time and change something.
Kratos: It is not wise to interfere with the timeline, it would not end well
Mimir: You're not speaking hypothetically, are you?
Kratos: No

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Ashsaber posted:

Mode Code Vein, it does something I don't think I've heard any other Soulsborne do before, when you go onto NG+ it asks you if you want to up the difficulty or not, and if you're above base difficulty it asks if you want to decrease it too. Makes further runs for achievements much quicker when you can bring your maxed items to a base level rerun.

I enjoyed Code Vein quite a bit when I played it. A souls like with a companion was fun. Although the game seemed balanced around having a companion, so when they did manage to die in combat, the difficulty really spiked (especially in a boss fight).

It was also fun to shift from a dex build to a strength build and then to a mage build without any need for respeccing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AFewBricksShy posted:

There's a quick reference to that in the new God of War.
You're having a conversation with another character, and Mimir, your severed head friend.

Ragnarock Spoilers:

Freya starts talking about if she could go back in time and change something.
Kratos: It is not wise to interfere with the timeline, it would not end well
Mimir: You're not speaking hypothetically, are you?
Kratos: No

Kratos making veiled hints at the awful stuff he remembers from the older games is the best part of the new games

Kratos: "Hel..."

Freya: "Yes, the realm of the dead. You know it?"

Kratos: "...not this one."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Breetai posted:

Just played though Psychonauts for the first time in 10 years and The Milkman Conspiracy remains one of the most remarkable levels in any video game. Just phenomenal humour and amazing geometry.

Yeah - shame that instead of being kooky, most conspiracy theorists are now just goddamn unhinged and violent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Samovar posted:

Yeah - shame that instead of being kooky, most conspiracy theorists are now just goddamn unhinged and violent.

I miss when aliens were the Big One in conspiracy theories. The worst the alien believers ever did was be accidentally subtly racist, rather than deliberately and viciously racist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Replaying Titan Quest for the first time in like 15 years and it's been fun going through all the Anniversary Edition content. One great thing TQ does that other ARPGs have totally failed to replicate is that monsters will visibly wear rare and legendary gear in the world with accompanying stats, so you get a little bit of extra challenge and excitement going up against a goatman with an oversized sparkling staff. The downside of gear existing as actual physical objects in the world however is that sometimes you have to wait a few seconds for them to stop rolling around after you explode that goatman to smithereens.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Replaying Titan Quest for the first time in like 15 years and it's been fun going through all the Anniversary Edition content. One great thing TQ does that other ARPGs have totally failed to replicate is that monsters will visibly wear rare and legendary gear in the world with accompanying stats, so you get a little bit of extra challenge and excitement going up against a goatman with an oversized sparkling staff. The downside of gear existing as actual physical objects in the world however is that sometimes you have to wait a few seconds for them to stop rolling around after you explode that goatman to smithereens.

I've never found a goatman with legendary armor, only a legendary ring :(

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Byzantine posted:

Note that he was tricked by Ares only, and the trick consisted of "Now Kratos, DO NOT go into this building and kill everyone inside".

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

He does kick the poo poo out of dogs in 2

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Fave little thing in a game : playing Kenshi for the first time in ages,just trying to get reacquainted with the map,found some far off ruins got some loot,ran through the spider-plains got attacked by a group of about 30 skin spiders.

A band of samurai come along and distract the spiders long enough for me to crawl away while they get slaughtered now i have to crawl on broken legs through ten miles of skin-spider territory and hope i don’t die.

Good game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I beat the main campaign for Spider-Man 2018 again, and thinking through all the various boss fights, the Vulture & Electro one really stands out. The developers did some fun stuff with multiple simultaneous bosses, but this one turns out to be neat because they're both airborne. You get to switch back and forth between dodging and attacking both of them, but it's all in a central space that's designed around you being able to stay airborne for minutes on end as you get through everything. I think it really shows off their concept of agile, fluid movement the best compared to other fights that often have you on the ground much of the time, it's just a blast to play through.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Watching a GOW2 playthrough and man, it's got to suck to be Atlas. Not only are you stuck underground holding up literally the entire world, but your body is shot through with spikes and chains to force you to do this and you're also riddled with parasites. Then some rear end in a top hat starts running in and out of your gross infected flesh holes and while he does help clean out the infestation of basic enemies he also starts ripping out bits of your skin and bones because they're in his way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

I was inspired and picked it up myself, and while I'm still not a fan of ARPGs doing the whole stiflingly small inventory grid stuff, at least TQ gives you the ability to warp back to town by default. No loving around with town portal scrolls and needing to manage my supply.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Dead Space Remake is turning out to have such an utter passion for the original game that its developers brought back minor voice actors to record their audio logs again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTY5zsxG6Y&t=654s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQwqME-SK0&t=1033s

After more than a decade, that is just RE2make bringing back the VA for HUNK levels of impressive.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Dec 6, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The flipside is that Hammond's new VA is garbo.

Maybe Jacob and Elizabeth can have a happy ending this time though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It feels very weird that for once we're seeing the 'original developers make a spiritual successor while the rights-holders make a blatant cash-grab' situation play out but this time the cash grab is actually turning out better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

1stGear posted:

The flipside is that Hammond's new VA is garbo.

Maybe Jacob and Elizabeth can have a happy ending this time though.

Mercer is going to be like 4x as evil to Jacob to account for the new graphical fidelity afforded by raytracing, I bet you will NEVER have been so angry to be on the other side of a wall of glass as that moment.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CJacobs posted:

Mercer is going to be like 4x as evil to Jacob to account for the new graphical fidelity afforded by raytracing, I bet you will NEVER have been so angry to be on the other side of a wall of glass as that moment.

i was angry i couldn't help that dude dying in the chinese factory gas room in human revolution

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It feels very weird that for once we're seeing the 'original developers make a spiritual successor while the rights-holders make a blatant cash-grab' situation play out but this time the cash grab is actually turning out better.

It's not the first time. Mega Man 11 put MN9 to shame.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cleretic posted:

Have they established whether you should shoot their limbs yet, though

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ImpAtom posted:

A sack of dog turds would put Mighty Number 9 to shame, and that’s even before you try plugging a controller into it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man 11 was A WHILE after MN9, though, I thought. These are pretty much at the same time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alhazred posted:

Isn't that pretty much every God of War game.

Pretty much, there's an old Penny Arcade comic describing some insanely cool poo poo in God Of War 2 and one guy says "is this the last level" the other says "this is the first level"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CJacobs posted:

The Dead Space Remake is turning out to have such an utter passion for the original game that its developers brought back minor voice actors to record their audio logs again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTY5zsxG6Y&t=654s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQwqME-SK0&t=1033s

After more than a decade, that is just RE2make bringing back the VA for HUNK levels of impressive.

I’m extremely hyped for it. Dead space is one of the best games

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I hope they do cool stuff with the Dead Space remake and don't just rebuild the same game on a new engine. It's a great game but I played it to death and have no real desire to do it all over again but with better graphics

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My one hope for the remake is that they tone down Isaac frantically gasping for air 30 seconds into using oxygen every time in the vacuum segments. Like, you could still be holding your breath to conserve air at that point, bud

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

jokes posted:

I’m extremely hyped for it.

twinkle twinkle little star...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isaac is constantly hyperventilating in his suit at all times, only in vacuum is it quiet enough to hear it on the outside

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I beat the main campaign for Spider-Man 2018 again, and thinking through all the various boss fights, the Vulture & Electro one really stands out. The developers did some fun stuff with multiple simultaneous bosses, but this one turns out to be neat because they're both airborne. You get to switch back and forth between dodging and attacking both of them, but it's all in a central space that's designed around you being able to stay airborne for minutes on end as you get through everything. I think it really shows off their concept of agile, fluid movement the best compared to other fights that often have you on the ground much of the time, it's just a blast to play through.

Another fun thing about that fight is that the Vulture and Electro are totally bros, meanwhile Rhyno and Scorpion bicker during the fight and end up fighting each other.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Flinger posted:

He does kick the poo poo out of dogs in 2

Not just dogs.

Puppies

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apparently Callisto is a 'successor' to Dead Space the same way Back 4 Blood was the 'successor' to Left 4 Dead. There's only one or two guys linking them and not the guys who did all the cool stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Callisto isn't really a successor to Dead Space, at least not in terms of execution. Glen Schofield is the creator of the series and Steve Papoutsis is the former manager of Visceral but it's a new IP by their new studio, other than the diegetic UI and general themes they're not super comparable games. In my opinion it was doomed somewhat to live in the shadow of Dead Space by borrowing so many of its core ideas without being comparable in practice but it has enough unique aspects to shine from within that shadow by far.

Edit: to the point where it really doesn't seem like they were trying to make a Dead Space successor honestly. It really is its own thing, just with trademark flair. Playing through it felt almost like watching a Tarantino movie, I could very much tell it was by the same mind as the last one but it was a completely different experience if you know what I mean. It left me not wanting another Callisto Protocol game, nah I was wholly satisfied, but rather another Striking Distance Studios game.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Dec 6, 2022

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dont necessarily want a Days Gone 2, but I do want another Bend Studio game that has Sam Witwer playing a crazy person quest giver who constantly gibbers and mumbles over the radio.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny moment of realisation: LeBron James in Multiversus has video game precedent going way back with Mike Tyson in Punch-Out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny moment of realisation: LeBron James in Multiversus has video game precedent going way back with Mike Tyson in Punch-Out.

He's also scientifically confirmed to be the funniest character to talk about in fighting game vocabularies and contexts. The concept of LeBron James having frame data and being in tiering discussions is just inherently very funny to me.

It's an understated value of non-fighting game characters appearing in fighting games, that it's just really funny to hear people talk seriously about them in that context. Smash Bros has gone on so long that most of its characters don't have that novelty anymore (although hearing people complain about Steve is still fun), but Multiversus is right in that sweet spot for it to be absolutely hilarious when you hear complaints that Finn players are tryhards or that Bugs Bunny got nerfed.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Dec 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

CJacobs posted:

Callisto isn't really a successor to Dead Space, at least not in terms of execution. Glen Schofield is the creator of the series and Steve Papoutsis is the former manager of Visceral but it's a new IP by their new studio, other than the diegetic UI and general themes they're not super comparable games. In my opinion it was doomed somewhat to live in the shadow of Dead Space by borrowing so many of its core ideas without being comparable in practice but it has enough unique aspects to shine from within that shadow by far.

Edit: to the point where it really doesn't seem like they were trying to make a Dead Space successor honestly. It really is its own thing, just with trademark flair. Playing through it felt almost like watching a Tarantino movie, I could very much tell it was by the same mind as the last one but it was a completely different experience if you know what I mean. It left me not wanting another Callisto Protocol game, nah I was wholly satisfied, but rather another Striking Distance Studios game.

Is the game any good? Initial reviews seemed to be panning it, but maybe that's because everyone was expecting a new Dead Space.