Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

i always felt like a picky eater weirdo for just being repelled by raw tomatoes so i like it when i encounter fellow travelers. on burgers, salad, whatever, get that poo poo away from me. my dad would eat raw tomatoes like apples.

Mine too. Maybe it's a Boomer thing?

Tomatoes are great on sandwiches or burgers, but eating them raw is a bit weird to me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah

Just messy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cherry tomatoes like grapes. So yummy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

uber_stoat posted:

i always felt like a picky eater weirdo for just being repelled by raw tomatoes so i like it when i encounter fellow travelers. on burgers, salad, whatever, get that poo poo away from me. my dad would eat raw tomatoes like apples.

I've eaten whole raw tomatoes like that, but they basically have to be really good varieties from a home garden for me to go there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

I mean yeah I don't like raw tomatoes but even that aside, you don't eat raw tomatoes with a breakfast, it's grilled tomatoes, that's the food you get, they are supposed to be cooked.

Also re: the entire concept of the breakfast in a box, we already solved the issue of how to do that in a supermarket friendly format and it's the breakfast wrap, you take all that crap and stuff it in a fajita.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

RFC2324 posted:

Cherry tomatoes like grapes. So yummy

I buy a pint every time I go to the grocery store. cherry tomatoes ftmfw

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
fools, you will never possess the secret holy fire of the Kumato.

quote:

The patent holder, the Swiss agribusiness Syngenta,[4] has stated that it will never make 'Kumato' seeds available to the general public as the 'Kumato' tomato is grown as what is known as a "club variety," whereby Syngenta sells seeds only to licensed growers that go through a rigorous selection process, and participation is by invitation only. Syngenta maintains ownership of the cultivar throughout the entire value chain from breeding to marketing; selected growers must agree to follow specified cultivation protocols and pay fees for licenses per acre of greenhouse, costs of the seeds, and royalties based on the volume of tomatoes produced. Typically, Syngenta licenses only one large vertically integrated greenhouse winter producer per country that has well established relationships with grocery chains.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Good, I don't want em anyway :colbert:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Greek or caprese salad: exists

Some goons, apparently: ew get that disgusting poo poo away from me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

People are real weird about tomatoes.

All "i love em in sauces or on burgers but if it's raw it's an eldritch abomination" or "when I was a kid I hated all tomatoes but then I turned 19 and suddenly I love them"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nah, I like raw tomato just fine. Eating tomatoes like an apple is just sort of weird to me. Personal preference.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Data Graham posted:

All "i love em in sauces or on burgers but if it's raw it's an eldritch abomination" or "when I was a kid I hated all tomatoes but then I turned 19 and suddenly I love them"

For my wife its a texture thing. She will eat ketchup and pasta sauce, but won't eat tomatoes in a raw state.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it is because fresh tomatoes here are just kind of dire, whereas canned ones are prepared and packaged ripe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Data Graham posted:

It's me, I'm the tomato weirdo.

Grocery store tomatoes are weird water balloons with a bad aftertaste. Ketchup is a disgraceful vinegar glaze. But canned romas are the perfect way to add savory to a recipe (that isn't fish sauce) and garden fresh heirlooms and cherries are good in salads.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

fools, you will never possess the secret holy fire of the Kumato.

quote:

The patent holder, the Swiss agribusiness Syngenta,[4] has stated that it will never make 'Kumato' seeds available to the general public as the 'Kumato' tomato is grown as what is known as a "club variety," whereby Syngenta sells seeds only to licensed growers that go through a rigorous selection process, and participation is by invitation only. Syngenta maintains ownership of the cultivar throughout the entire value chain from breeding to marketing; selected growers must agree to follow specified cultivation protocols and pay fees for licenses per acre of greenhouse, costs of the seeds, and royalties based on the volume of tomatoes produced. Typically, Syngenta licenses only one large vertically integrated greenhouse winter producer per country that has well established relationships with grocery chains.

Meanwhile, anyone with a plant pot and a little want-to can grow these tomatoes at home. Buy tomatoes, scrape seeds out onto paper towel, let them dry completely, fill pot with garden soil, plant seed, add water and sunlight. Ta-da.

Just feel a little bummed by all the folks who grew up with grocery store tomatoes. My parents kept a vegetable garden every summer and we would have a platter of sliced, fresh tomatoes on the table every dinner from mid-July to late September. They were delicious.

The grocery store varieties were so bad we called them "cardboard tomatoes". The varieties of cherry and grape tomatoes they're selling now are much, much better, but they're kind of fiddly for a BLT.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zedprime posted:

It's me, I'm the tomato weirdo.

Grocery store tomatoes are weird water balloons with a bad aftertaste. Ketchup is a disgraceful vinegar glaze. But canned romas are the perfect way to add savory to a recipe (that isn't fish sauce) and garden fresh heirlooms and cherries are good in salads.

'Tomato weirdo' would make a pretty good username.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

By popular demand posted:

I feel like screaming WHY into someone's face.

eggs, sausages and bacon cook extremely fast and suck preserved, beans come in a can and tomatoes are not hard.

When you've made an insult to British cuisine you should rethink your life.

You can bite off a corner of the box and suck out all the bean juice through it before eating the solids. Some people are okay with paying for convenience.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Filox posted:

Meanwhile, anyone with a plant pot and a little want-to can grow these tomatoes at home. Buy tomatoes, scrape seeds out onto paper towel, let them dry completely, fill pot with garden soil, plant seed, add water and sunlight. Ta-da.

Just feel a little bummed by all the folks who grew up with grocery store tomatoes. My parents kept a vegetable garden every summer and we would have a platter of sliced, fresh tomatoes on the table every dinner from mid-July to late September. They were delicious.

The grocery store varieties were so bad we called them "cardboard tomatoes". The varieties of cherry and grape tomatoes they're selling now are much, much better, but they're kind of fiddly for a BLT.

You assume the seeds, if there are any, will grow the same plant. Alot of these are spread through cuttings exclusively because the breed isn't actually genetically stable, and some are engineered without seeds specifically to prevent exactly what you are suggesting

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah it's extremely unlikely that seed derived from a highly-protected cultivar will retain its characteristics.

Tomatoes are truly magnificent for about 9 weeks in high summer, and pretty bad the rest of the year. Big chain groceries and chain restaurants favor uniformity over quality in a lot of cases, so those places often have bad tomatoes even in the peak season. Tomatoes for canning/sauce-making are often processed very physically near where they were grown, so they can be made with nice, ripe tomatoes that actually taste good. That's probably part of why people have such varied relationships ships with them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I've been straining to make it for a week but dessert's finally ready

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

You assume the seeds, if there are any, will grow the same plant. Alot of these are spread through cuttings exclusively because the breed isn't actually genetically stable, and some are engineered without seeds specifically to prevent exactly what you are suggesting

Only one way to find out.

Many varieties will retain their characteristics, and you won't know which until you try it.

I've never seen a tomato without seeds, that would be very weird. I mean, I'd eat it, but I'd feel a bit "disturbance in the force" about it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Filox posted:

Only one way to find out.

Many varieties will retain their characteristics, and you won't know which until you try it.

I've never seen a tomato without seeds, that would be very weird. I mean, I'd eat it, but I'd feel a bit "disturbance in the force" about it.

I'm not certain about the no seeds in tomatoes, i know its done with other plants that are normally seed bearing in order to prevent trademark/copyright violations.

Yay capitalism where we can copyright plants

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Data Graham posted:

Do you like potatoes? Do you eat them raw?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Halloween Jack posted:

yes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Halloween Jack posted:

I did when I was a dumbass kid under the age of 10.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Halloween Jack posted:

There is someone on this site who eats raw potatoes. I can't remember their username or I would be naming and shaming.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Please update if you remember, that sounds like clear 100k-er material for sure.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Tomatoes are great on sandwiches or burgers, but eating them raw is a bit weird to me.

I am not a boomer and can eat raw tomatoes, and do.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
about once a year I eat a raw potato with lots of salt, learned from some relative. It's fine.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

about once a year I eat a raw potato with lots of salt, learned from some relative. It's fine.

your supposed to but butter and salt in. not a raw

The General
Mar 4, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Your relative was loving with you.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The only time I ever found eating raw tomatoes a pleasant experience was in Amalfi where they are legit fresh San Marzanos. They are wildly different to that poo poo in a can that Americans lap up and insist you must use in cooking tutorials.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

canned whole tomatoes are generally pretty good, that's why they're used in many recipes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The General posted:

Your relative was loving with you.

try it :smuggo:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Greek or caprese salad: exists

Some goons, apparently: ew get that disgusting poo poo away from me

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

raw potato is a surprisingly effective antacid, if you don't have any actual antacids at hand

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, does it?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Please update if you remember, that sounds like clear 100k-er material for sure.

maybe it's this person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5B6JeRkEH8

mmm sugartown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwNtawzF-LE

uber_stoat has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It was someone in the GBS r/relationships thread and it definitely is