Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The second season of Mushoku Tensei leans heavily into adventure tourism. Like dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that one really does not solve the issue of not having a bunch of ugh content though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragon's heaven is an old ova that tries to animate a whole desert fantasy world in the style of moebius

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there a show with gorgeous scenery and a sense of exploration and adventure in otherworldly environments like Made in Abyss that isn't Made in Abyss? I want to scratch that itch again and tried the first episode of the new season, and Jesus loving Christ.

The upcoming Dungeon Meshi anime should have plenty of that once it gets the ball rolling. It mostly focuses on (edible) monsters but there's plenty of attention given to the environment and worldbuilding. You can check the manga to see if it's up your alley.
For something more chill, maybe Ancient Magus's Bride? I've only watched like half of the first season but there's some trips to fantastic locales. Leans towards drama, though.
There's also Drifting Dragons, but I'm guessing the 3d animation might put a lot of people off, so maybe check out the manga, the scenery art is gorgeous.

For manga-only options, there's Witch Hat Atelier, and maybe uhhh Heterogeneous Linguistics?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Ancient Magus is a really pretty show with great music but the last couple episodes were kind of disappointing. If you're into fae stuff then you'll really be pleased.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

What was that recent-ish p-looking fantasy show about the lile girl and a robot guardian going around a colorful fantasy world? There's a decent shot that would be what you're looking for.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SexyBlindfold posted:

The upcoming Dungeon Meshi anime should have plenty of that once it gets the ball rolling. It mostly focuses on (edible) monsters but there's plenty of attention given to the environment and worldbuilding. You can check the manga to see if it's up your alley.
For something more chill, maybe Ancient Magus's Bride? I've only watched like half of the first season but there's some trips to fantastic locales. Leans towards drama, though.
There's also Drifting Dragons, but I'm guessing the 3d animation might put a lot of people off, so maybe check out the manga, the scenery art is gorgeous.

For manga-only options, there's Witch Hat Atelier, and maybe uhhh Heterogeneous Linguistics?
witch hat will also get an anime in the near future

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pootybutt posted:

What was that recent-ish p-looking fantasy show about the lile girl and a robot guardian going around a colorful fantasy world? There's a decent shot that would be what you're looking for.

Somali and the Forest Spirit, and yeah it's a decent fantasy setting.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Pootybutt posted:

Somali and the Forest Spirit. totally forgot about that one, the writing was pretty basic but it would definitely scratch that itch for cool fantasy art + world design.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Somali and the Forest Spirit. totally forgot about that one, the writing was pretty basic but it would definitely scratch that itch for cool fantasy art + world design.

Yeah that, thanks!

I guess Humanity Has Declined would count too technically, if you feel up for a tongue-in-cheek cynical take on that kind of thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Julias posted:

Somali and the Forest Spirit, and yeah it's a decent fantasy setting.
it also was unfortunately ended abruptly due to the author's declining health.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I get recommendations for something very cute and very weird with notably good sound design? Cat Soup, Spirited Away and FLCL are along the lines of what I'm looking for.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Peteyfoot posted:

Can I get recommendations for something very cute and very weird with notably good sound design? Cat Soup, Spirited Away and FLCL are along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Kaiba

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Peteyfoot posted:

Flip Flappers might be right up your alley.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Peteyfoot posted:

My Roomate is a Cat is very cute and sweet.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Peteyfoot posted:

Girl's Last Tour
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thank you very much for the recommendations, I'll check all of them out! :swoon:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Peteyfoot posted:

Chainsaw Man, airing this season.

Pochita is cute, Denji is weird, and the sound design is amazing. Whole thing is described as a "diabolical FLCL" by the author.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spraying chiasaur with a garden hose

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Peteyfoot posted:

Kyousougiga is a nice cute weird one.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chainsawman the logh of 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Peteyfoot posted:

Have you seen Bee and Puppycat? You should watch Bee and Puppycat.

Edit: I feel like I should justify my recommendation since it's not really anything like any of those other shows and also not even technically an anime, but suffice it to say that it's very much like FLCL in the sense that going in completely blind is the best way to experience it for the first time.

Double Edit: For anyone who needs more convincing for whatever reason, I watched several episodes high and I honestly could not tell you which ones because the entire experience is a surreal clusterfuck while still somehow being incredibly chill and beyond adorable. Even after watching it twice and looking up the plot, I still have no idea what the gently caress. What I do know is that the show is so good at setting the mood that I literally cried and laughed and laugh-cried several times. It has all the feels.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 7, 2022

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

chiasaur11 posted:

Chainsaw Man, airing this season.

Pochita is cute, Denji is weird, and the sound design is amazing. Whole thing is described as a "diabolical FLCL" by the author.

Truly the cutest anime of all.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not even super sure I'd really describe it as "weird" outside of the story being centered around the main character being groomed by multiple adult women

Denji having his arms split open to reveal chainsaws and having a chainsaw rev coming out of his heart is one off the wall design, but otherwise I can't think of much content that wouldn't be well at home in jujutsu kaisen or most other modern shounen shows. Gross unsettling monsters is kinda the norm tbh

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the anime's not going to get to the parts that are more unlike shonen jump series, unfortunately. or at least not for now, i assume they'll pick it back up for more later

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remember when the original JoJo OVA decided it would be better to jump right to the good stuff in Egypt and then filled in the preceding chapters later rather than doing a chronological adaptation? Would be nice if anime could do something like that again rather than holding out on the promise that we'll get to the good stuff in a few seasons we swear.

Not that what I've seen of Chainsaw Man looks bad so far, not at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think the later stuff in chainsaw man would work nearly as well divorced from its context

because its a story that progresses in a linear order

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I know but I also get annoyed at frequent refrain that the anime always stops before they get to the good stuff. And then you have to wait a few years before another season comes out and you still have people saying we're not to the good stuff yet.

It's that Game of Thrones-esque anticipation felt by someone who hasn't read the books dealing with someone who has. I've been on both sides of it, knowing what's coming in future chapters and also being ignorant of it while being told the good stuff is around the corner.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 7, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret is that the entire story is usually the good stuff and the reason people are pointing to 'the good stuff' as happening later is because they are mostly focusing on the climaxes and emotional highs that come after buildup and steady progression

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i mean some of that is because mangaka get better at writing their series the more they do it, but then the anime covers the first few volumes when they were still feeling it out. that applies more to episodic/smaller arc based series though, in the case of chainsaw man the first arc is good, it's just more than 12 episodes long.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Remember when the original JoJo OVA decided it would be better to jump right to the good stuff in Egypt and then filled in the preceding chapters later rather than doing a chronological adaptation?

It sucked butt?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DamnGlitch posted:

It sucked butt?

Nah, it's good and the sound effects were done by THX.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the egypt stuff was good but the backfill was mostly bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the Egypt stuff was nice 90s OVA stuff while the backfill was ehh and it was also early 2000s digital painting.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Kyousougiga is a nice cute weird one.

Holy moly this looks great!

KillHour posted:

Have you seen Bee and Puppycat? You should watch Bee and Puppycat.

I have not! Added to my list, thank you! I appreciate all the recs y'all, rest assured I'm checking each and every one out. :D

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the backfill was bad cause it was just a different team coming in later while the first set of ovas stood out for being an alternate take on some of the last few fights handled by some pretty big-name staff. dont feel like the backfill was really even part of the initial plan, but i guess it's something that's ended up miring how people view the ova

honestly the main thing i can think of that suffers from the issue being discussed is like. yuri anime. there's a few adaptations that never get more than one season. with all these other shows it's not really as big of a deal because there's no way chainsaw man isn't getting a season 2 but if you want a season 2 of like, bloom into you or adachi and shimamura, that actually gets to where everything set up in those shows sees any resolution, it's pretty up in the air. it's an old one but shout out to the blue flowers anime that is like genuinely unwatchable cause it's only one single arc and that arc is utterly miserable and dull

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
domestic girlfriend has a pretty good anime that ends at the end of the first arc, meaning it spends 12 episodes or whatever doing absolutely nothing but set up lol. even if you dramatically edited the manga down that first arc would still need to be there. weird choice to animate. it would almost be better to start in the middle somewhere and just have a recap.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

domestic girlfriend has a pretty good anime that ends at the end of the first arc, meaning it spends 12 episodes or whatever doing absolutely nothing but set up lol. even if you dramatically edited the manga down that first arc would still need to be there. weird choice to animate. it would almost be better to start in the middle somewhere and just have a recap.

That would be even worse. I assume the manga to anime pipeline when there is only a single season is about expanding the interest in the series and getting more readers and that is not going to happen if you jump into the middle of things with like a one episode recap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime adaptations are ultimately commercials for the manga and so 'stopping just before all the cool poo poo is about to happen' is honestly ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sure if you're a shareholder.