Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Google play isn't showing or yet but I'll keep an eye out and let you know if . 16 doesn't fix it! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Oops, version 3.8.16 is only available through the beta program right now, the main release has been stuck in review hell I think. You could try joining the beta test program, or, I had a much longer workaround:

handle posted:

As a temporary fix for the three-dot menu on my device, I was able to
  • Install Android System WebView Beta from the Play Store, which comes with the WebView DevTools app.
  • Open WebView DevTools and change the WebView provider to the beta version.
  • In the Flags tab of the WebView DevTools app, search flags for EventPath, and tap to set to Enabled.
  • Fully close and restart Awful.apk. Features should hopefully be restored.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I forgot I was signed up for the beta updates and was very pleasantly surprised to find out that the imgur uploader now remembers that I like direct uploads, that's the little QoL change I've wished for the longest! :tipshat:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot I was signed up for the beta updates and was very pleasantly surprised to find out that the imgur uploader now remembers that I like direct uploads, that's the little QoL change I've wished for the longest! :tipshat:

oh hell yeah thanks devs

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
I'll just wait for and trust in the release! Ty for the info!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Is there going to be an automatic theme selector for dark/light mode that follows the system settings?

It's the one thing I truly miss from the iOS version of the app.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Same

handle
Jan 20, 2011

A Bad King posted:

Is there going to be an automatic theme selector for dark/light mode that follows the system settings?
I'm going to try in the next few months, but even if I get it working well, it's at least three months out. I'll definitely let y'all know if it reaches the beta stage!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got the new (beta?) update, and I now get a different error when trying to add the bookmarks shortcut to my launcher (Everywhere Launcher):

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Can you share the steps you're going through when you're attempting to add the shortcut? What device and Android version do you have? I've been messing around with Everywhere Launcher on Android 10 and can't add a bookmarks shortcut because of a different (but related) issue.

The unfortunate thing is the bookmarks shortcut widget just creates the actual shortcut, and the widget is phased out on newer devices. Instead, long-pressing the app icon should bring up a menu with the Bookmarks shortcut, which can be dragged onto a tile as its own standalone shortcut icon.

In Everywhere Launcher, when I try to add an element to a sidebar, the default actions are App, Shortcut or Widget, and while I'd expect the Awful.apk Bookmarks shortcut to show up under Shortcuts, it doesn't. Lots of app shortcuts don't show up -- it appears that the shortcuts listed are in fact widgets for those apps that result in shortcut creation. So with the widget disabled on devices newer than Android 7, I can't figure out a way to add the shortcut into Everywhere Launcher, as it doesn't pick up on the newer shortcut options. It might be worth asking the Everywhere Launcher devs if they plan to support static shortcuts?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sure. I open Everywhere Launcher, go to Handles and Sidebars, expand the relevant handle, then tap on the sidebar. I then hit the FAB, choose shortcut, then the Awful shortcut (it shows up as Bookarks with a subtitle as Awful). The weird thing is that a Google Messenger shortcut to text my wife works just fine.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Again, please provide more info about your device, android version etc

Also lol that adding that stupid checkbox is what made the app to through.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

Again, please provide more info about your device, android version etc

Also lol that adding that stupid checkbox is what made the app to through.

Whoops, sorry, forgot that stuff. Pixel 7 running Android 13 with the December security update.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Sereri posted:

Also lol that adding that stupid checkbox is what made the app go through.
Thanks for adding that! Frikkin AI reviews.

hooah posted:

I open Everywhere Launcher, go to Handles and Sidebars, expand the relevant handle, then tap on the sidebar. I then hit the FAB, choose shortcut, then the Awful shortcut (it shows up as Bookarks with a subtitle as Awful). The weird thing is that a Google Messenger shortcut to text my wife works just fine.

hooah posted:

Pixel 7 running Android 13 with the December security update.
Thanks for the info :) I've been able to replicate this now. Unfortunately, the Bookmarks shortcut basically shouldn't show up at all in Everywhere Launcher, as it's relying on the widget (com.ferg.awfulapp.UserCPShortcutActivity) which is disabled from Android 7.1 forward in favor of the newer static shortcut capability. As long as the old shortcut is installed Everywhere Launcher is picking up on it and displaying it though. I'm guessing the Google Messenger shortcut is created by a widget and that's why it's functioning.

Ideally Everywhere Launcher would support static shortcuts? In the meantime, I wonder if it's reasonable to roll back disabling the widget since it's apparently still called for by some launchers. Sereri, would you be opposed to that?

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Are you supposed to be able to upload video of any kind (not gif) with the insert imgur function?
That's not implemented right now, AFAICT. Currently the code is only prepared to upload image formats.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

handle posted:

That's not implemented right now, AFAICT. Currently the code is only prepared to upload image formats.
Thank you I was genuinely wondering. That explains why it keeps failing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

handle posted:

Thanks for adding that! Frikkin AI reviews.

Thanks for the info :) I've been able to replicate this now. Unfortunately, the Bookmarks shortcut basically shouldn't show up at all in Everywhere Launcher, as it's relying on the widget (com.ferg.awfulapp.UserCPShortcutActivity) which is disabled from Android 7.1 forward in favor of the newer static shortcut capability. As long as the old shortcut is installed Everywhere Launcher is picking up on it and displaying it though. I'm guessing the Google Messenger shortcut is created by a widget and that's why it's functioning.

Ideally Everywhere Launcher would support static shortcuts? In the meantime, I wonder if it's reasonable to roll back disabling the widget since it's apparently still called for by some launchers. Sereri, would you be opposed to that?

I appreciate you looking into this. Now that I have a specific term, I'll ask the dev (possibly again).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

handle posted:

Oops, version 3.8.16 is only available through the beta program right now, the main release has been stuck in review hell I think.

I came here wondering why it took 4 months for Google to send me the update!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Am I missing something, or is there no support for quoting multiple posts?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you quote someone and back out but save the post and quote someone else you get the option to add it on. it's more awkward than the browser, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Am I missing something, or is there no support for quoting multiple posts?

Larry Parrish posted:

if you quote someone and back out but save the post and quote someone else you get the option to add it on. it's more awkward than the browser, though.

That works me!

You can keep doing it and quote many posts.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Since the update the app's been wonky with posts and borders disappearing as I scroll. Here's an example:

Old-rear end Galaxy S7 if that means anything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not cool enough to be on GitHub, and I'm not reading 197 pages to see if this is already reported, but I just noticed something. It looks like if you use the "admire your posts" menu item to find all your posts in a given thread, where you have less than 1 page worth of posts, awful.apk puts all your posts at the top of the resulting screen and then just shrugs and grabs a stack of random posts from the same thread (I suspect they're the first posts in the thread but haven't verified) to pad the results out to a page worth of posts, then scrolls all the way to the bottom so you're confused by the fact that you're admiring everyone else's months old posts rather than your own.

Pretty minor bug, but should be easy to reproduce and (I suspect) pretty easy to fix, too.

As soon as I've made this reply and thus bookmarked the thread I'll go get my app version to add to it.

E: 3.8.18

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's done that for years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I guess I don't admire my posts enough to have noticed. Huh.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
This is a pretty niche problem, but here it is:

I had an account with all the trimmings but I toxxed and lost. For whatever reason, the moderator who put through the ban decided to send me a PM. I couldn't read it, cos I was banned, and now I've resubbed (but CBF upgrading to plat) 3 years later it's still there. Waiting. Watching. Unreadable. Generally no big deal, but whenever I use the app I get a snack bar about my unread message.

My question is: Could this alert/message check be a toggle buried in the account features menu?

Huh. I have plat again. Problem solved I guess.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 17, 2022

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Oldstench posted:

Since the update the app's been wonky with posts and borders disappearing as I scroll. Here's an example:

Old-rear end Galaxy S7 if that means anything.

This seems to only happen with the Dark theme FYI.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Big thanks to whoever changed the default selection for imgur upload wizard from URL on clipboard, to "files on your device"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It would be nice if there was an option to get the emotes screen to animate even if you have gif animation switched off. It'd be handy to be able to confirm I'm using the right one.

Actually, an option for "disable gif animation except for emotes" would be pretty great too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Something I've noticed in image threads (comics in particular) is that large image files hosted on imgur get increasingly blurry, to the point where text can be impossible to read. Example screenshot using "display image" in the app and zooming in to the details:

(from this post)

I assumed this was purely a problem with imgur, but I learned from some discussion today that using a phone browser on the forums leaves it readable, pulling it from the exact same imgur url:

I was just curious if there might be a good way to have the app show the better quality version for larger images like this, I dunno if there's something not working right or if there was a choice made along the way to save on loading or something.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I've been getting a weird bug where when I click next page or refresh when viewing a thread, my home screen icons flash over the top of the app.

This doesn't happen all the time, but quite frequently. I think it only started happening a few weeks ago. Is that when the lastest version was released?

I'm on a Pixel 4 running Android 13. Awful app is 3.8.18.

Screen capture here:
https://youtu.be/_tZkyIVszoM

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 24, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something I've noticed in image threads (comics in particular) is that large image files hosted on imgur get increasingly blurry, to the point where text can be impossible to read.

Im just playing around with this, I see the same thing. One thing I noticed is that if I click on the image and choose to download it instead of display it, the downloaded file is the high resolution version that isn't blurry when I zoom in.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Did twitter embeds break on all apps or just awful.apk?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Aware posted:

Nether, friend. Works fine for me.

Creamythighs
Dec 28, 2022

Does the app get recent posts?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Creamythighs posted:

Does the app get recent posts?

In what sense? It just scrapes the diet (or maybe there's a proper API now), so it'll get anything that's been posted.

Creamythighs
Dec 28, 2022

hooah posted:

In what sense? It just scrapes the diet (or maybe there's a proper API now), so it'll get anything that's been posted.

Yes that's what I mean. Like when ppl are posting on the website does it show in the app as well? I'm only asking bc I'm new here and still learning to navigate the app. Every thread I go on doesn't show any posts from this year

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Creamythighs posted:

Yes that's what I mean. Like when ppl are posting on the website does it show in the app as well? I'm only asking bc I'm new here and still learning to navigate the app. Every thread I go on doesn't show any posts from this year

:confused:
Yeah, it should show everything exactly the same as you see from a browser, it's just a different interface loading everything.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Creamythighs posted:

Every thread I go on doesn't show any posts from this year
Silly question, but are you on the early pages of a giant thread? By default the app will load page 1 of an unread thread. There should a "1 / 197" type display at the bottom center of the screen, if you tap that it'll bring up a page chooser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aware posted:

If there's a problem with Twitter it's almost always on the Twitter side, not the forums or the app.