Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

he'll eat drat near anything yet is still skinny as poo poo and i hate him, also the only football he cares bout the wolverines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1599796731348226050?t=cOm6m65BvgGjjanYeg73JA&s=19

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1599800231993950208?t=g2PDqE0stThdCFFVBYp1Zg&s=19

He's had 7-8 documented concussions. :stonk:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Take care Jake :(

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Going to a farm upstate

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
jake from (up)state farm

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

jake from (up)state farm

lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

jake from (up)state farm

lmao

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/CavanaghSju/status/1599810667451539470

Gallant is not surviving the season (possibly not Xmas) and Drury might be hosed too.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mark Messier GM please

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Gallant is not surviving the season (possibly not Xmas) and Drury might be hosed too.

I don't see anything happening to Drury

people are speculating Gallant is on the hot seat because he hasn't been able to address the recurring issues and I guess people feel like he's passing the buck to the players to fix it

I still think they woudl have been fine if he had stuck with the lines with Kakko on Zibanejad's right and Laf on Panarin's line

While Vesey hasn't been completely terrible on that line with Zibanejad I still think it's far less effective than it was and could be

again they basically went from "very good analytics but unlucky results" to "panic and put bottom six players in the top six and now get lovely analytics and lovely results"

e: Dolan taking more of an interest in the Rangers lately is bad news though

e2: I also still think the lack of progress from Kakko and Laf is fair to point at Gallant at this moment and another big reason why he should have let them grow on the top two lines. These guys again just aren't being given consistent roles and the ability to develop into certain spots and are the first ones to be hosed with whenever he wants to mess with the lineup.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 5, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1599837922680635392

Its Conor Timmins time! And Robertson stays up on line 2. Too bad Aube-Kubel was waived because Aston-Reese - Der-Arguchintsev - Aube-Kubel would be a hell of a line.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It would be cool to see the Robertson/SDA pair grow up from the Petes>Marlies>Leafs.

Could be fun as an offensive super sheltered 4th line or even just the PP2.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Growing up, there was a year or two where I became a Red Wings fan, just to upset my Leafs loving family. Unfortunately, I think I started to be a Leafs fan again just before the Wings won their Cup, so I didn't even get to experience a win.

To think what could have been...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

https://twitter.com/RLuker12/status/1599429419608969217

poo poo fell off a cliff when the coach decided oh no we need Jimmy Vesey and Barclary Goodrow in the top six

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
^^it's saying that the Rangers got too perimeter oriented on the attack?

can't wait to get hosed on again by Jason Robertson's little brother tomorrow night :)

I seem to recall that the Leafs played the Robertson / Hintz / Pavelski line pretty tough earlier this year, maybe this is the one when the older Robertson breaks his streak

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Starsfan posted:

^^it's saying that the Rangers got too perimeter oriented on the attack?

I mean basically yeah they stopped generating good scoring chances.

the "eye test" bears it out IMO. The top two lines were able to cycle and attack and create chances early in the season. They got very unlucky with a lot of poo poo and maybe if it kept happening you could say there's some flaw in things but the coach mixed up the lines and has stubbornly stuck with them even though the results have been even worse. His excuse right now is "we have our own stats and those lines gave up a litttle bit more than the current lines" which like ok if you're talking "give up less defensively at the expensive of a bit of offense" but the reality is that they've just sucked out loud all over the ice and that excuse doesn't hold much water.

and once again I'm getting all riled up about how Laf and Kakko just have no role on this team and how these coaching staffs (Quinn and Gallant) are coaching them to be role players but also role players that the coaches don't trust and therefor those guys are producing like role player and getting worse as the season goes

I wouldn't be surprised to see them ask for a trade at some point

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Levitate posted:

and once again I'm getting all riled up about how Laf and Kakko just have no role on this team and how these coaching staffs (Quinn and Gallant) are coaching them to be role players but also role players that the coaches don't trust and therefor those guys are producing like role player and getting worse as the season goes

I wouldn't be surprised to see them ask for a trade at some point

This is something that the dumbest people on twitter bring up all the time to bash a player.. "X amount of coaches haven't trusted the player, it's not the way the player is being coached it's the player"

see: the Dallas media on Denis Gurianov's ongoing role on the team

Like.. yeah all of these coaches have come up in the same culture under the same kind of training and they all basically agree with each-other on what is important and what is not important. It's not a surprise when multiple coaching staffs in a row that are "different" all treat a player the exact same way and the results for the player don't change.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
It is the one year anniversary of the firing of Jim Benning and also the one year anniversary of him dressing up like Jim Rutherford and getting re-signed because that’s the only explanation of this story.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

well and in these guys cases it is a bit different than you usually get with top picks. There was already top offensive stars in those main roles on the team so yeah the high picks didn't get forcefed big minutes like others might. Where the issue is I feel like is there hasn't really been a focus on trying to develop them into the role of "future stars of the team" it's always been "supporting role of the existing stars" and "first players to get bounced down the lineup when the coach gets antsy"

Again neither of these guys has ever seen a minute of power play 1 time (well that might be exaggerating but not really, they've never officially been on the 1st power play)

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/dirtydevilfan/status/1599708601010262016

Not to salt the wound, but...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol do Jack Hughes now.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Martin Fehervary is on IR after getting his shoulder/arm injured by Lucic, and Darcy Kuemper’s brain is hot.

I know old team is old and will likely get injured a lot but it’s not only the really old dudes like Backstrom and Oshie getting hurt. Connor Brown tore his ACL, Fehervary is hurt, Kuemper got elbowed in the head, Orlov got hurt for the first time in his career, etc.

It may be a blessing in disguise because even if healthy the roster isn’t good enough to win in the playoffs, so maybe it’ll force some changes this offseason/TDL. But it still stinks seeing all these dudes go down with injury.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Laf had 19 even strength goals last year while average 14 minutes of icetime! That's really drat good! High shooting percentage but you expect "well maybe more icetime with good players and the percentage goes down but number of shots go up etc"

Hughes had 20 and averaged 5 and a half minutes more of icetime (though I didn't split out PP time from those numbers)

Something is just hosed this year

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Levitate posted:

https://twitter.com/RLuker12/status/1599429419608969217

poo poo fell off a cliff when the coach decided oh no we need Jimmy Vesey and Barclary Goodrow in the top six

I think this is a dumb take from Rob. The ratio of high danger chances vs scoring chances only matters if the number of total scoring chances stays constant. That said some quick adding and division to make averages - The Rangers went from creating 32.46 chances/60 in their first 15 games to 31.15 in their next 10. The drop off is significantly worse for High Dangers going from 13.66 to 11.4. Of course this type of analysis isn't really worth much if there was also an improvement on the defensive suppression side, but I don't have time for that right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Levitate posted:

Laf had 19 even strength goals last year while average 14 minutes of icetime! That's really drat good! High shooting percentage but you expect "well maybe more icetime with good players and the percentage goes down but number of shots go up etc"

Hughes had 20 and averaged 5 and a half minutes more of icetime (though I didn't split out PP time from those numbers)

Something is just hosed this year

Hughes had more ES goals in 30 less games.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1599837922680635392

Its Conor Timmins time! And Robertson stays up on line 2. Too bad Aube-Kubel was waived because Aston-Reese - Der-Arguchintsev - Aube-Kubel would be a hell of a line.

I’m pretty surprised that SDA is bumping Malgin off the roster, even if it’s just for a game. I guess this is one of those symbolic games they give a hot Marlie as a carrot to everyone else toiling down there and nothing will come of it unless he blows the doors off (he won’t)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mcmagic posted:

Hughes had more ES goals in 30 less games.

Fair enough, I forgot he missed time. Since you wanted to dance on my grave by mentioning Hughes I thought I'd just mention his stats there as well.

Point is that I still find it's less that somehow these players are just bad and more that they're not in positions to succeed

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

How the hell is Columbus down with Chicago/Arizona/Anaheim?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Levitate posted:

Fair enough, I forgot he missed time. Since you wanted to dance on my grave by mentioning Hughes I thought I'd just mention his stats there as well.

Point is that I still find it's less that somehow these players are just bad and more that they're not in positions to succeed

Not really you personally. I just have a lot of friends who are rangers fans who loved talking alot about hughes vs kakko and laf in the last few years heh

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think its pretty clear by this point that there's something broken in how the Rangers deal with young forwards. Its not like its just one guy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think its pretty clear by this point that there's something broken in how the Rangers deal with young forwards. Its not like its just one guy.

yeah, again kinda what I've been ranting about.

If you wanna look at a guy who came through and did well you can look at Buchnevich but a huge difference there is that the coach finally decided to trust him and keep him up on the line and give him lots of opportunities.

And he did great and is a very good player

That hasn't been done with Laf and Kakko for any real length of time at this point

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Can we talk about how Zach Parise has been a wonderful addition to the Islanders over the past few years. An absolute god drat bargain at a league minimum salary.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Both Laf and Kakko probably shouldn't have been pushed into the NHL during 1.5 hosed up covid seasons.

We all bitched about the OHL/AHL rules for Othmann but this extra year he's spending while dominating is probably a good thing for his development (and its great he's not involved with the current shitshow),

It's also clear that Gallant has zero gameplan/system other than play Fox 35 minutes a night and hope Shesty bails you out.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Also a good sum up of the issue with the kids

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2022/12/05/heres-the-move-the-ny-rangers-need-to-make-for-the-present-and-future/69702176007/

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Look, when you get a Jimmy Vesey, you gotta get him on the top line

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Look, when you get a Jimmy Vesey, you gotta get him on the top line

The funny thing is, I have zero complaints about how Vesey has done this year. It's not his fault our neanderthal coach is jamming him into the top-6. Gallant pulled the same thing with Hunt last year and it was miserable.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

The funny thing is, I have zero complaints about how Vesey has done this year. It's not his fault our neanderthal coach is jamming him into the top-6. Gallant pulled the same thing with Hunt last year and it was miserable.

Yeah as much as I think it's the wrong decision with what this team needs to do with its young players, Vesey has played alright. It's just...you know it's Vesey, you'll never get anything more than this "alright" play. Versus developing a young player with high upside into something better

These quotes from Kakko are just...blah

quote:

There was a rightful fascination with reuniting the Kid Line of Lafrenière, Chytil and Kakko, which provided such a noticeable spark on last season’s run to the Eastern Conference Final. But as Kakko said last week, “it wasn’t the same” this time around.

(playing with Kreider and Zibanejad)

quote:

“I think I played my best hockey I’ve ever played with those guys,” Kakko said. “In the corners, I can stay with the puck and create chances. With Mika and Kreids, I did that a lot. That was our game and they trusted me with that.”

quote:

The constant back-and-forth, being yanked from one line to the next without any consistency, is taking its toll. Making matters worse, multiple players have indicated those moves are being made without any communication from the coaching staff as to why.

Gallant's default is to plug in veterans with limited upside, rather than allowing the youth to work through growing pains. And while competition for spots can bring out the best in individuals, it’s extremely difficult to play loose and free with the fear that one mistake may result in a demotion.

The stats bear that out. In the 13 games since Kakko and Lafrenière were removed from the top six, they've combine for just seven points.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m pretty surprised that SDA is bumping Malgin off the roster, even if it’s just for a game. I guess this is one of those symbolic games they give a hot Marlie as a carrot to everyone else toiling down there and nothing will come of it unless he blows the doors off (he won’t)

I suspect Keefe has realized that someone needs to score in the bottom 6 because if/when one of the big 4 forwards gets injured (assuming Matthews isn't still playing through some malaise) it will be even harder to keep holding onto one goal leads for dear life.

I will give Keefe credit for zero regulation losses in the last 10 considering the defense he's been given to work with, which would also imply giving credit to Dubas for the baffling goalie choices somehow working out so far.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

kill me now posted:

Can we talk about how Zach Parise has been a wonderful addition to the Islanders over the past few years. An absolute god drat bargain at a league minimum salary.

No.

Just think how you’d feel if he was getting paid 7m AAV instead. I’m still mostly happy with how that went. I just wish Lou had traded for him instead. Even retaining 50-60% would have been great (for MN).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

It's also clear that Gallant has zero gameplan/system other than play Fox 35 minutes a night and hope Shesty bails you out.

In hindsight, Stevie not going hard after his old running mate when he was the hot hire and Blashill was a dead man walking should probably have been a big red flag.