Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Miyazaki's full quote was something like "I don't understand why Elden Ring was so popular, so I couldn't reproduce its success if I tried. So, I'll just keep making the games I like the way I have been." It didn't really seem to give any insight into the scope or type of upcoming games. Just that he's going to keep making the games that interest him.

I don't think From would make anything on the scale of ER next though. ER was made by using assets and systems from 10 years of Souls games. Making that much content from scratch wouldn't be as cost effective or realistic for their studio, and I don't think just using the ER stuff a second time would go over well. Maybe they'll build up to another massive open world after accumulating another decade worth of animations and systems to serve as a capstone again, that would be cool.

Post-ER seems like the perfect opportunity for Miyazaki to make a back-to-basics game paired with a top-to-bottom engine rewrite/replatform. It's amazing that the engine that ran Bloodborne could be hammered over time into Elden Ring but it must be real creaky by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The endings to ME3 suck because they built up this massive hype throughout the games that your choices matter, but then none of them do at the end because you can pick any of the endings no matter what.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Post-ER seems like the perfect opportunity for Miyazaki to make a back-to-basics game paired with a top-to-bottom engine rewrite/replatform. It's amazing that the engine that ran Bloodborne could be hammered over time into Elden Ring but it must be real creaky by now.

I'm almost certain that the Bloodborne engine is a proprietary imitation of the DS/ER engine, co-developed from the ground up by Sony Japan. If you look at how DS3 and BB (developed concurrently) handle things like textures, transparencies, ragdoll, particles, etc they are quite different, and the whole sliminess of BB, walls splattered, the top to bottom "I'm covered in the blood of enemies" dealio...it's just not something that was handled the same way in the other games, and neither the DS1 or DS2 engine were up to the task of what was in the pipeline at the time. DS3's engine was then used as the platform for Sekiro and Elden Ring whereas Bloodborne's was a dead end, yet it still looks distinct from their other games.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has more info on the subject, but this was my impression from reading too many interviews over the years.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Crows Turn Off posted:

The endings to ME3 suck because they built up this massive hype throughout the games that your choices matter, but then none of them do at the end because you can pick any of the endings no matter what.

I feel like ME3 arrived at the peak of 'your choices can matter' in video games and is unintentionally a negation of the concept. I think they get it right exactly once with the Krogan genophage arc and then it falls flat everywhere else (the ending, the rachni, which squad mates are dead, etc)

Realistically you can't really make a big AAA game with huge setpieces that players won't see, so you always end up with less branching paths and more 'big action scene-> choice to kill the random NPC after so you may or may not get three lines and an email about it down the road'. People should have suspected as much when every major choice in the first Dragon Age is retconned hard in the sequels, but ME3 kinda solidifies it.

There are a few exceptions to this like some of the endgame paths in Witcher 3, but for the most part it's all just fluff. And really, fluff is fine; I think RPG players care way more about the fun little stuff like 'can I help Garrus get laid' than they do about big galaxy spanning decisions, but Bioware realized that a little too late.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

acksplode posted:

Yeah they’ve been using the same engine, modified for each new game, since demon’s souls I think, maybe even earlier (except for dark souls 2). Deracine also didnt and used unreal engine 4 and they said they made it in UE4 to teach themselves how to use it for future games, so I’m curious to see if they use it for specific projects.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm almost certain that the Bloodborne engine is a proprietary imitation of the DS/ER engine, co-developed from the ground up by Sony Japan. If you look at how DS3 and BB (developed concurrently) handle things like textures, transparencies, ragdoll, particles, etc they are quite different, and the whole sliminess of BB, walls splattered, the top to bottom "I'm covered in the blood of enemies" dealio...it's just not something that was handled the same way in the other games, and neither the DS1 or DS2 engine were up to the task of what was in the pipeline at the time. DS3's engine was then used as the platform for Sekiro and Elden Ring whereas Bloodborne's was a dead end, yet it still looks distinct from their other games.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has more info on the subject, but this was my impression from reading too many interviews over the years.

https://twitter.com/zulliethewitch/status/1479986266468925443?s=46&t=QqW_X5suPbAEfWkLXZkh1g

“Whether Dantelion should really be considered simply "an engine", a series of engines, or a family of them is unclear; Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Sekiro have an extremely clear lineage, but some older games seem more distant, and where one draws the line is most likely a matter of taste. Enchanted Arms, for example, appears very similar to Demon's Souls and its ilk, whereas the Armored Core games, as you might expect, are structured quite differently, despite still sharing the majority of their formats and components. However, since many older games have not been studied as thoroughly, they can all broadly be considered to be "the same engine" in the absence of any clear distinction”

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 6, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Edit: Ah, I'll take Zullie's statements as more reliable than my memory. There is some aspect of DeS that was built on Sony's own tech, but I guess it must have mostly been From's proprietary engine.

Edit 2: Oh weird, according to that link, the belief that DeS was built on Sony's Phyre engine was incorrect based on hackers' analysis of the code. Wonder why Bluepoint was hiring coders experienced with Phyre while developing the DeS remake then.

As I recall, DeS used an engine that was designed in-house by Sony for the PS3 and provided to partners working on exclusives. People initially guessed that Bluepoint was working on the remake in 2018 because they posted job listings looking for people experienced with that engine, and DeS was the only culturally successful title that hadn't had a recent rerelease. It was heavily modified by From, and From used a lot of those modifications when developing their own engine for DS. Bloodborne is a fork of the DS engine heavily modified by Japan Studio, and DS3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring follow a separate fork that was developed simultaneously. DS2 is its own engine that was never reused.

The Armored Core game was supposedly built on a modified version of the DS engine, but later games are likely to move to UE5 based on statements made around the release of Deracine.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 6, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

imhotep posted:

Yeah they’ve been using the same engine, modified for each new game, since demon’s souls I think, maybe even earlier (except for dark souls 2). Deracine also didnt and used unreal engine 4 and they said they made it in UE4 to teach themselves how to use it for future games, so I’m curious to see if they use it for specific projects.

https://twitter.com/zulliethewitch/status/1479986266468925443?s=46&t=QqW_X5suPbAEfWkLXZkh1g

“Whether Dantelion should really be considered simply "an engine", a series of engines, or a family of them is unclear; Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Sekiro have an extremely clear lineage, but some older games seem more distant, and where one draws the line is most likely a matter of taste. Enchanted Arms, for example, appears very similar to Demon's Souls and its ilk, whereas the Armored Core games, as you might expect, are structured quite differently, despite still sharing the majority of their formats and components. However, since many older games have not been studied as thoroughly, they can all broadly be considered to be "the same engine" in the absence of any clear distinction”

Bugblatter posted:

Edit: Ah, I'll take Zullie's statements as more reliable than my memory. There is some aspect of DeS that was built on Sony's own tech, but I guess it must have mostly been From's proprietary engine.

As I recall, DeS used an engine that was designed in-house by Sony for the PS3 and provided to partners working on exclusives. People initially guessed that Bluepoint was working on the remake in 2018 because they posted job listings looking for people experienced with that engine, and DeS was the only culturally successful title that hadn't had a recent rerelease. It was heavily modified by From, and From used a lot of those modifications when developing their own engine for DS. Bloodborne is a fork of the DS engine heavily modified by Japan Studio, and DS3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring follow a separate fork that was developed simultaneously. DS2 is its own engine that was never reused.

The Armored Core game was supposedly built on a modified version of the DS engine, but later games are likely to move to UE5 based on statements made around the release of Deracine.

Thank you! This is so cool to get clarification on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTY5zsxG6Y

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I thought we talked about that, but I guess it was a different thread. Which means we probably also haven't mentioned that Jedi: Survivor is getting released on March 16th in this thread. First quarter of 2023 is really stacked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I thought we talked about that, but I guess it was a different thread. Which means we probably also haven't mentioned that Jedi: Survivor is getting released on March 16th in this thread. First quarter of 2023 is really stacked.

Yeah, it was leaked earlier today so I threw it up on the OP

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, that first Dead Space was so loving good. Glad it's getting a remake so new folks will be able to experience it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think ME3 is a terribly written game with fun combat. Some people prefer the killing part of games. They will usually think that Elden Ring is GOTY. Then others, like myself, feel killing comes secondary to a good story. They will probably feel that GoW:R is GOTY. ME3, though. Man the writing sucked. GOWR is clearly an extension of the first game. They flow into each other and are consistent. But ME3 is basically a game from a different dimension with how much things go off the rails from the first two games It's just constant ???? moments top with a horrible ending that is inconsistent with the idea of a space opera.

I recommend the series because ME1 is a masterpiece. ME2 has a lot of good writing but shows off how EA really started to gently caress up Bioware and ME3 shows where Bioware died.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thiccabod posted:

The more I think about it, the more I feel that very few games ought to have ammo limits at all. Balance the general purpose weapons around clip size and reload times while putting a cooldown on the real heavy hitters. Otherwise it's like, hold up, gotta go down this obvious dead-end and open two drawers so I can shoot the next couple trash enemies with something other than my lovely sidearm (which of course has a uniquely bottomless ammo supply)

Hmm, perhaps Overwatch was onto something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Waltzing Along posted:

I think ME3 is a terribly written game with fun combat. Some people prefer the killing part of games. They will usually think that Elden Ring is GOTY. Then others, like myself, feel killing comes secondary to a good story. They will probably feel that GoW:R is GOTY.

elden ring had a better story than gowr tho

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
me1 is bad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Phenotype posted:

So...you are saying no story is better than a great story? :thunk:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
That's a frankly idiotic take and not worth wasting any more posts on. And that's saying something because posts aren't exactly a limited or valuable resource.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TheDarkFlame posted:

That's a frankly idiotic take and not worth wasting any more posts on. And that's saying something because posts aren't exactly a limited or valuable resource.

This would be a good thread title tbh

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I think we should just end the thread and start again. No better than that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A lot of these HFW and GOWR posts just give me the impression that a lotta people here are clamoring for games that play like arcade games. Just start up, no cutscenes aside from the bad guy hopping into a helicopter or driving off or something and you're off to the races punching people for 5 hours.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

gowr has a heavy narrative focus in its storytelling and elden ring doesn't much at all, so which one is "better" is about as subjective as this debate can get

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

A lot of these HFW and GOWR posts just give me the impression that a lotta people here are clamoring for games that play like arcade games. Just start up, no cutscenes aside from the bad guy hopping into a helicopter or driving off or something and you're off to the races punching people for 5 hours.

Basically any criticism of a video game story that involves the word “HBO” or “prestige” reads like this to me. Oh no, they’re trying to actually tell stories, how loving dare they

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

wrap it up hboailures, it’s Game Over

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
people seem to think this means death stranding 2 will be announced at the game awards
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1598512751436890114

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just as an example it was amazing how much more fun cyberpunk was as a game on NG+ where i wasnt pushed into giving a poo poo about leveling, loot quality, or basically anything except using the gun that was the most cool looking

Cyberpunk....NG+? Is this a mod for the PC version?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Basically any criticism of a video game story that involves the word “HBO” or “prestige” reads like this to me. Oh no, they’re trying to actually tell stories, how loving dare they

a lot of failbrains farting around the thread in the last year

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Waltzing Along posted:

I was just trolling really but Elden Ring has a really interesting story. It's just in the background and something you really have to work to figure out (or at least watch some Youtube videos of people who think they figured it out).

basically elden ring is the thinking man's gowr

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

imhotep posted:

people seem to think this means death stranding 2 will be announced at the game awards
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1598512751436890114

Not really sure what you can do with a Death Stranding 2. The themes of the first game are wrapped up pretty nicely by the end of the game.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, Doom 2016 was great.

I tend to skip a lot of cutscenes but it depends on the game. With big AAA games like GOW, TLoU, Spider-Man, etc. I'm definitely down to watch all the cutscenes and play attention to what's going on. And there are plenty of games where I've started out that way but then they've gotten too long-winded and I've given up (Death Stranding). But if I'm loading up something like Sniper Elite 5 then I'm there exclusively to blow up Nazi balls and I will skip every bit of exposition possible

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

dumbass

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm normally not wild about heavy narratives in video games because they normally aren't great and take a lot of the runtime. I'll sit through whatever popcorn story they give me once, but the problem is there often isn't a great way to skip them on repeat runs where I just want to enjoy the core gameplay. I can skip a full cinematic, but there's no way to get around slow walk and talks, like the majority of the Atreus sections in Ragnarok, and really hurts the replayability of many big-budget games.

TLOU2 has a great feature that lets you just replay the combat encounters. I wish more games did that. Although funny enough, that's the single game with a story good enough that I actually do enjoy watching every cutscene every time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nailing both gameplay and narrative and making them work together is the ideal, I'd throw out TLOU and MGS as easy examples. Making narrative second to gameplay is fine, that's most Platinum games. Sacrificing gameplay for narrative is sinful. Go make a movie

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm playing Vanquish for the first time right now and to this:

RareAcumen posted:

I say yes please.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vanquish owns. Tied for the best P* game, and easily one of the top action games of all time.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I really wish the Vanquish remaster let you skip all slow hallway walk and talks. I know the PS3 needed them for loading reasons, but they really kill the momentum.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I should probably revisit Vanquish. I liked it but never really got far into it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kilometers Davis posted:

I should probably revisit Vanquish. I liked it but never really got far into it.

I had a couple hurdles, but now that I'm in, I'm in. I won't say how I'm playing it, because it's probably wrong, but I'm having a good time.

Game feels like there's lots of ways to play though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The world building in ER is just incredible. I love how you can just by accident stumble across something massive and sinister, and until you delve into it you've got no idea whether it's something you can handle or not. It really gives the sense of the world being an actual organic place which exists independently of the player, that existed long before you arrived, and doesn't give a gently caress about you.

Agh, I just love it, totally obsessed.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's what's so special about From's soulsborne games. The whole setting always is like "who the gently caress are you? Let me kill you real quick" and even if you finally beat a place and it's bosses, most endings to the games suggest that you did gently caress all to the overall world but restart another iteration of what just happened to you, just for the next guy to stumble into it. You are always "the one" who ultimately makes no difference in the grand scale of things. It's bleak in a pretty interesting way, picking up the "it doesn't matter if or how often you die, it's about managing to not die one time, regardless of how grim each death makes the world" theme the gamedesign pushes.

e: I think it's also what makes the NPCs so fascinating. All the vendors sitting right in the middle of this hellish place going "eh, whatever, I can't change anything anyway". All but patches, of course. He's having fun.

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think that's why I went Frenzied Flame. Those people seemed like they had a plan, and the experience of going down beneath the capital, and going down, and further down, and down some more, it was just so intriguing.