Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1599971339661869058
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1599972246084530176

Please for the love of god Cubs loving do a big thing, I am actually dying over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

Cashman does a great job in sounding like he's terrible at his job.

Every quote I ever see from him sounds like they surprised a random guy on the street and told him he was in charge of the Yanks.

The man exudes anti-confidence.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Rangers book....that's The Book of Smart Moves that Worked Out Good, right...?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

xbilkis posted:

The Rangers book....that's The Book of Smart Moves that Worked Out Good, right...?

Silently chuckling to myself thinking of Corey Kluber’s single-inning Rangers career

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

xbilkis posted:

Lmao

[George W voice] don't forget Semien!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm sorry to my 'strosposting friends, but banging on cans will never stop being funny to me. i have never cared at all about the cheating, that's whatever, but please let me make cans jokes

You can

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Cashman does a great job in sounding like he's terrible at his job.
yeah love to hear a GM sounding completely unprepared for an obviously possible outcome

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
As the GM of the franchise, I have done zero contingency planning because that would be hard.

lol

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sorry mcmagic

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1599931840663814145?s=20&t=CyHV4J7_mn3VhdiTSrX0Kw

Cashman just got that 4 year extension, his fucks given is at zero baby

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1599971339661869058
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1599972246084530176

Please for the love of god Cubs loving do a big thing, I am actually dying over here.

Why not just keep Contreras??

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I KNOW, RIGHT???????

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I guess they hate his defence?? Or they don't want to pay a free agent catcher which i guess sorta makes sense but yeesh just pay your cool dude.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I guess they hate his defence??

It's this, Cubs brought in a new GM to partner with Jed who was the former head of scouting and development for the Guardians, and apparently he's big on the impact of defensive catchers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

It's this, Cubs brought in a new GM to partner with Jed who was the former head of scouting and development for the Guardians, and apparently he's big on the impact of defensive catchers.

He's got a sweet pickoff move and didn't blow a 3-1 world series lead. Don't see what's the problem with his defense all things considered.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1599949745526824961

Seems like very much a long shot considering their farm and the A's not wanting to help a team in the division

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
do not underestimate how committed to not winning and destroying the club the owner is

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

do not underestimate how committed to not winning and destroying the club the owner is

he seems like a real piece of poo poo and I hope he suffers unspeakable agonies

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I have no clue. For some reason they seem to want to go in another direction. I don't even think Contreras would cost all that much either to keep.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i feel like i am being gaslighted with all the reports of contreras being horrible at defense, i have watched a bazillion games with him, he catches the ball fine, he's super athletic at blocking balls, he has a loving cannon, we're going to find out that pitch framing is fake like those metrics that convinced all the websites to pivot to video.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i feel like i am being gaslighted with all the reports of contreras being horrible at defense, i have watched a bazillion games with him, he catches the ball fine, he's super athletic at blocking balls, he has a loving cannon, we're going to find out that pitch framing is fake like those metrics that convinced all the websites to pivot to video.

Because catcher metrics are dumb.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Why do the Cubs have to be so bad at all of this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pitch framing is a fake stat that only works because umpires are idiots

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Chief McHeath posted:

As the GM of the franchise, I have done zero contingency planning because that would be hard.

lol

especially funny about it is that its like the one contingency on which their whole offseason pivots that he's talking about there

like a bare minimum thing to do would be to have a plan A for if we sign Judge and a plan B for it we don't and then those should have branching subplans based on who else they do or do not get, and setting this up should take, like, maybe a day if you're doing your job since you'll already have most of the info you need about who's available and what your needs are

I assume someone in that front office actually does have such things but it's much funnier to imagine them wandering around the winter meetings stunned going "but re-signing judge was a sure thing!" if it doesn't happen

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I read somewhere that Hal is higher on re-signing Judge than Cashman is. Cashman’s quotes sound a lot like a guy who’s trying to either play hard to get or preempt failure or both.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

All the metrics hate his defense and the consensus seems to be that he's a bad game caller and pitcher manager. He also has a really annoying habit of trying to pick pitches in the dirt instead of body block them. He absolutely has a canon but his backpick move is just as likely to sail wide for a free base as it is to nab the runner, Rizzo specifically called it out frustrating because with no warning Contreras would just just chuck it at 100MPH at him.

All of which is to say yeah, I wish they'd kept Contreras too because he rules and I think the "bad defense" narrative is way overblown. But unfortunately that narrative has stuck and the Cubs seemed to have no interest in retaining him.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Fake or not, we’re 2 years- three at most from robo ups anyway and with the new “speed up the game without losing any commercials” rule on pickoffs means that canon is even more valuable. Maybe they really still believe in Amaya, who did hit well as a DH coming off of Tommy John but hasn’t caught in a year and a half or so. Even before the injury, I remember FanGraphs and a couple other prospect guys moving him down their lists so who knows.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hope we get the tennis challenge system for balls and strikes and it just completely loving destroys pitch framing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Maybe they really still believe in Amaya

The FO adores Amaya to an unhealthy level despite the fact that he's spent essentially his entire minor league career getting injured and not hitting at all.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

IcePhoenix posted:

I hope we get the tennis challenge system for balls and strikes and it just completely loving destroys pitch framing

Why on earth would you want another stupid challenge system when they could just always use the robots instead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because robots use old peoples' medicine for food.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hard to put into words how much I hate both the automated strike zone concept and any use of replay review in MLB

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Because robots use old peoples' medicine for food.

I would accept Old Glory Robot Insurance ads on the players' uniforms, but only them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love to read the hometown blogs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

pitch framing is cool and robot umps should be destroyed

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

lobster shirt posted:

pitch framing is cool and robot umps should be destroyed

This, but the opposite

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
very excited to see the pace of play speed up but also more commercials so the game time is reduced and they still have a 3.25 hr broadcast

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

camoseven posted:

Why on earth would you want another stupid challenge system when they could just always use the robots instead

The tennis system uses robots and also is fast.

Also I like the idea of a graphic going up on the big screen showing how wrong the call is.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Good summary of some quasi interesting rule 5-eligible players. It’s Pirates-focused but I think has relevance to other teams.

Who Might the Pirates Select in the Rule 5 Draft?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

quote:

The Phillies now have six players on the payroll who will make at least $20 million next year. That’s twice as many as the Yankees! Those six: Turner, Harper, Zack Wheeler ($24.5 million), J.T. Realmuto ($23.88 million), Nick Castellanos ($20 million) and Kyle Schwarber ($20 million).

I can help with that math, too. That adds up to more than $140 million for just those six guys — through at least 2024. That’s more than 14 teams paid their entire rosters this year.

lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The worst possible implementation of a robo strike zone is to allow challenges on ball/strike calls. Then you get into the bullshit meta game of which pitches to challenge, how many challenges do you get, etc. All a dumb waste of time. The objective is to get calls right all the time, not introduce a dumb mini game.

If the system is fast and accurate enough to make the calls in real time, then just use the robot for every pitch. If it’s not fast or accurate enough, then it’s not ready for prime time yet.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 6, 2022