Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

So how about them lethal police bots being proposed in San Francisco?
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2022/11/let-them-know-san-francisco-shouldnt-arm-robots

First vote by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors vote 8 to 3 to approve the policy of first reading, and another vote to follow.

So in the policy paper SFPD grouped both lethal and non-lethal (recon) robots together for their policy. in the Authorized use section, we have:

quote:

The robots listed in this section shall not be utilized outside of training and simulations, criminal apprehensions, critical incidents, exigent circumstances, executing a warrant or during suspicious device assessments. Robots will only be used as a deadly force option when risk of loss of life to members of the public or officers is imminent and outweighs any other force option available to SFPD.
That's a LOT of situations; like all of them.
There was amendment to the deadly force authorized use, but it's not too comforting:

quote:

Robots will only be used as a deadly force option when risk of loss of life to members of the public or officers is imminent and officers cannot subdue the threat after using alternative force options or de-escalation tactics options, or conclude that they will not be able to subdue the threat after evaluating alternative force options or de-escalation tactics. Only the Chief of Police, Assistant Chief, or Deputy Chief of Special Operations may authorize the use of robot deadly force options.
Certainly there will be no misuse by SFPD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also don't worry, they're not federal law violating robots that have firearms. They're somehow totally legal and safe RC-XDs to detonate on the homeless, I guess.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Speaking of police:
https://twitter.com/thevallejosun/status/1598349404972339206

oops all gone

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

SF edition:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-delays-enforcing-tougher-id-rules-until-may-2025-2022-12-05/

The real ID rules will be pushed back to may 2025, so if you have't gotten your real ID yet, there's still plenty of time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1599401216978472961

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Laws don't apply to cops, obvoiusly

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

Laws don't apply to cops, obvoiusly

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress the cops for making me have to say time clock theft is bad though lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Larry Parrish posted:

gently caress the cops for making me have to say time clock theft is bad though lol

Police labor is not real labor, police unions are not real unions, police clock theft is not real clock theft.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

But ironically police clock theft is a real crime because they don't deserve solidarity

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinite Karma posted:

But ironically police clock theft is a real crime because they don't deserve solidarity

it's just funny that I have to contemplate an exception policy for a fake crime like this. Lol. Making me do a Larry David face and I don't appreciate it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

it's just funny that I have to contemplate an exception policy for a fake crime like this. Lol. Making me do a Larry David face and I don't appreciate it.

it's a real mind-bender for sure

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

sb hermit posted:

The real ID rules will be pushed back to may 2025, so if you have't gotten your real ID yet, there's still plenty of time.
every day my laziness pays off more and more

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Paying cops not to work seems fair to me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sivart13 posted:

every day my laziness pays off more and more

I may have to get a court order to fix my records for a real id so I got a global entry card to work around it (instead of carrying around a passport) and I wonder if it was worth it or if I should have just ran out the clock first to maximize my laziness

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

First of May posted:

Paying cops not to work seems fair to me.

We already pay them not to work

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I had to update my license because I moved a couple years ago to get out of my old rental after it turned out there was asbestos in the visibly cracking walls and my landlord's response was "lol tough poo poo your rent is cheap enough you should live with it" and the default was to get a Real ID. Anyway turns out the whole thing is a sham because to get the Real ID I had to prove US Citizenship, but then a couple weeks ago when I was in a situation where I needed to prove my citizenship I gave my Real ID and was told "no this isn't good enough." What the gently caress is it even for then lol.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sydin posted:

I had to update my license because I moved a couple years ago to get out of my old rental after it turned out there was asbestos in the visibly cracking walls and my landlord's response was "lol tough poo poo your rent is cheap enough you should live with it" and the default was to get a Real ID. Anyway turns out the whole thing is a sham because to get the Real ID I had to prove US Citizenship, but then a couple weeks ago when I was in a situation where I needed to prove my citizenship I gave my Real ID and was told "no this isn't good enough." What the gently caress is it even for then lol.

You don't need to be a citizen to get Real ID.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Similarly, a US passport is valid identification for flying domestically, in place of a RealID, but a passport on its own is not enough to get a RealID

Anyway, I renewed my license online pre-vax, so they sent me a message saying I could re-renew with a Real ID for free. Dug around for a poorly Xeroxed copy of my latest rent increase and bing bang boom.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well that's even dumber then, what the hell is the point of the thing?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Long Con ploy to suppress voting by requiring it eventually

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sydin posted:

to get real id, you can be a permanent resident or otherwise allowed to be here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-licenses-identification-cards/real-id/what-is-real-id/real-id-info-non-u-s-citizens/

it's meant to identify you in order to enter federally protected facilities or whatever

if you need evidence of citizenship then you should use a passport (or I guess you could use birth certificate and etc but a passport is easiest)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CPColin posted:

Similarly, a US passport is valid identification for flying domestically, in place of a RealID, but a passport on its own is not enough to get a RealID

this is what I'm having trouble with, specifically some social security records

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sydin posted:

Well that's even dumber then, what the hell is the point of the thing?

i think to put the squeeze on undocumented ppl

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
idk really but it pisses me off but imhappy it got extended kuz my pal is undocumented and we gotta get he rear end to hawaii before hes banned from planes forever

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The key thing to understand is that the entire system of personal identification in the US is an irreparably hosed-up tangle because the Republican Party has spent ages both (a) opposing any easy-to-get national ID that would cover residency and citizenship status without needing multiple pieces of identification and (b) making all state and local IDs more time-consuming and complicated to use for civic functions whenever a minority would benefit from them.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Smythe posted:

i think to put the squeeze on undocumented ppl
It's this. The term isn't proof of citizenship, but "proof of legal residency". Same reason CA DOJ went out of their way to pass their own regs to update firearm/ammo purchase regs to require proof of legal residency (i.e. Real ID).

While you can't use a passport by itself to get Real ID, if you have a passport then generally you don't need a Real ID (Except maybe for certain government facilities; dunno if they take passports in lieu of Real IDs).

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 6, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There were some Let's Go Brandon clods trying to get supporters to protest SB 1137 outside my local Vons today. SB 1137 mandates a minimum distance between homes and oil/gas drilling facilities. drat that Gavin Newsom and his overreach!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The people demand drill rigs in front yards!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

In Los Angeles they already are in front yards

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

In Los Angeles they already are in front yards

Not even a slight exaggeration:

edit: lol there's a ton of these pics

chuds are angry they can't have this

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 7, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
They only recently capped the last of the oil wells on the Beverly Hills High School campus.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Muir posted:

They only recently capped the last of the oil wells on the Beverly Hills High School campus.

these are the people who have spent decades a holding up the purple line because their precious kids might accidentally encounter A Poor

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jaxyon posted:

Not even a slight exaggeration:

:911:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
many oil Derrick’s still pump in Boyle heights and other predominantly black, brown, and poor communities. Not to mention incredible industrial air and water pollution, right here in LA. we’re not so different than flint and in time we’ll have our own sacrifice zones with 900 prefixes

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I don’t know what the senate bill says but derricks are the temporary towers they use to drill, and pump jacks are the hammer looking things. It sounds like from the post they’re banning drilling, not pumping existing wells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I just saw an LA Sheriff’s prisoner bus making its way down a surface street. I am in Fairfield. That seems weird. Is LA contracting with other counties for jail space because of overcrowding or something?