Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Count Thrashula posted:

Is there a way other than eBay to get singles of big-unit models? This used Nighthaunt army I bought has 1-2 models missing from most of the units, so it's not worth buying a whole box to fill it out, because then I'm still in the same predicament.

Not really, your army isn't really 'missing' models, GW changed the unit sizes between building the sprues and sending the rules to the print shop so everyone had that issue.

The glaivestalkers at least have a cheap 5 model box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'd look to some of the Warcry and Underworlds boxes to see if you can find some sculpts that could fill in nicely. Those are smallish units and I think they add a lot of variety to units.

The other options is some of the custom models on Etsy, etc. I've used those to add variety or fill in units before. Kitbashing is also an option, but this is getting harder with the more modern GW sculpts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not really, your army isn't really 'missing' models, GW changed the unit sizes between building the sprues and sending the rules to the print shop so everyone had that issue.

The glaivestalkers at least have a cheap 5 model box.

It is missing models when the guy who sold it to me told me his dog ate a few models :)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Bitz sellers on eBay or other sites is pretty much your only option, yeah. Unless it's a basic unit that you can get one or a few of in a learn to paint set or the starter magazine.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Is there a way other than eBay to get singles of big-unit models? This used Nighthaunt army I bought has 1-2 models missing from most of the units, so it's not worth buying a whole box to fill it out, because then I'm still in the same predicament.

On the plus side, depending on how many models your short, because all the nighthaunts look like ghosts, you can pick up a box of one troop and see about picking up the different weapon arms online?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Rules for AoS of the Gnarlwood warbands:

Sons of Velmorn: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/D9HpQZfFUazIKh8d.pdf
Gnarlspirit Pack: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/ZcD9kLFQxstrc1ox.pdf

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sons cost nearly as much as a Wight King on Foot and 10 Grave Guard, and you get the same number of total wounds but a better save and less than half as many attacks. Velmorn can rez the sons and toss free commands on them, but loses out on the Wight King innate command ability in return for higher and more consistent damage. I don't think it's a great trade but I could see it.

Gnarlspirit do not have a comparable S2D unit but S2D have so many good units that at 160 points I don't see them getting fielded.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Sons cost nearly as much as a Wight King on Foot and 10 Grave Guard, and you get the same number of total wounds but a better save and less than half as many attacks. Velmorn can rez the sons and toss free commands on them, but loses out on the Wight King innate command ability in return for higher and more consistent damage. I don't think it's a great trade but I could see it.

Gnarlspirit do not have a comparable S2D unit but S2D have so many good units that at 160 points I don't see them getting fielded.

Don't forget that they can also prevent enemies from piling in which is pretty sick, but yeah, I don't see them being worth it for 220.

I'm pretty sure Underworlds warbands being bad in AOS is a conscious design policy at this point, I think the new Skaven one is the only one who has ever seen any play.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mollog has a use case in a trogg list, and the wolf riders are actually surprisingly good because they fill a role a lot of Destruction doesn’t have, but other than that…

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

I'm pretty sure Underworlds warbands being bad in AOS is a conscious design policy at this point, I think the new Skaven one is the only one who has ever seen any play.

From what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt, GW intentionally makes the board game models "weaker" or more situationally useful than standard units because they don't want people buying up all the board game stuff just for AoS and killing interest in the board game because people can't get the actual game (insert joke about Blackstone Fortress/Cursed City here). Dunno how true that is, its just the thing I inevitably see someone say when someone asks why the teams aren't that good in AoS.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I imagine it's also just a headache to try to balance smaller-than-normal MSU units with weird mixed weapon profiles, and if their points costs were "fair" they'd just be auto-includes in every list. Wurmspat is a good example - Maggotkin would absolutely love to have a 3-man Blightking unit with an appropriate points cost if they could, because they're still durable enough to do their job (sitting on an objective and being annoying to kill) while also giving you enough points left over to squeeze in another fly or something.

Being bad units that are there to add some variety to my sculpts works for me, anyway.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Do the made-to-order products show up on ebay or in stores later at all? I realized last week that I really want one of those horse-mounted Archaeons for my casual mounted chaos army. Maybe the sorcerer too but I'm not as worried about that one. I missed the period where they were on GW. The article about them said they'd be for sale until 11/28 then they'd be sent out sometime in the next six months. I don't see any listed on ebay yet. Do I just give it a few months and check again or am I probably SOL?

edit: looking for the first guy here
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/13/sunday-preview-classic-chaos-kits-return-on-made-to-order-basis/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Made to order will be up on the store for a set amount of time before going away. Until the next time they decide to bring them back.
After that you have to look for them on ebay or second hand elsewhere.

quote:

All of the miniatures above are available on a Made to Order basis, starting next Saturday and ending on the 28th of November at 8am GMT. Please note that it can take up to 180 days to supply these models.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pardon the double posting but the Looncourt AoS rules got released.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/09/grinkraks-looncourt-continue-their-madcap-mission-with-a-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-warscroll

Also:
https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1601215389320769537

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

190 for this crew isn’t too bad, Grinkrak is a Loonboss who trades -1 to be hit for ward 6 and the CA to hand out exploding 6s for a free 1/turn hand out of fight on death, so that’s a side grade. You pay 115 points for the court, who can bodyguard him (meh) or seize an objective to gain ward 4 (oh that’s nice).

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Those rules are very nice. I wonder if they were made with the new battletome in mind...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Gonna be some disgusting fight-on-death stuff you can do with him. A giant block of grots or a mangler squig would be pretty scary, though keeping up with anything but footslogging troops is probably asking a bit much. Also based on unit size and keywords you are technically able to hide fanatics in his warband. Not sure if there's any reason you'd want to do that, but it's a funny idea.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

drat this makes me want to get this plus Gloomspite Gitz

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

bagrada posted:

Do the made-to-order products show up on ebay or in stores later at all? I realized last week that I really want one of those horse-mounted Archaeons for my casual mounted chaos army. Maybe the sorcerer too but I'm not as worried about that one. I missed the period where they were on GW. The article about them said they'd be for sale until 11/28 then they'd be sent out sometime in the next six months. I don't see any listed on ebay yet. Do I just give it a few months and check again or am I probably SOL?

edit: looking for the first guy here
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/13/sunday-preview-classic-chaos-kits-return-on-made-to-order-basis/

Are you in the UK mate? I've got an old metal one lying around.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I should not go on the GW website because I see this:

and see it's called a GobbaPalooza

aahhh

edit: of course the two designs I love the most are the absolute bottom of the tier list

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 11, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

aahhh

edit: of course the two designs I love the most are the absolute bottom of the tier list

It doesn't matter really, they'll be getting a new book relatively soon and their current one is already bottom tier anyways.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

At the moment, but they're about to get a new book and it's expected to be decent.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Are you in the UK mate? I've got an old metal one lying around.

USA, thank you though. I'll keep my eyes open and one will pop up again.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Cute gobbos just make me mourn for cute Orcs

rip my friends

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah word on the street is that play testers of the new Gitz book are scrambling to buy up used Gloomspite stuff while it's cheap because the book is so good.

If I weren't already doing Nighthaunt and Skaven as my 2023 new year new armies, I'd pick up Gitz too

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

aahhh

The gobbo absolutely tripping balls is in my top 10 of all AoS sculpts.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Talas posted:

The gobbo absolutely tripping balls is in my top 10 of all AoS sculpts.

There are so many fun details on there.

His absolutely horrified D: expression. The flying, toothy mushroom tormenting him, which he is beating away with a half eaten mushroom (probably the reason he is tripping out). The little mushrooms wearing night goblin robes poking him with sticks. The staff head frothing at the mouth.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/11/sunday-preview-cursed-city-expansions-rise-again/

So next weeks pre-orders are light, for obvious reasons of course. But apparently the Cursed City expansions sold out faster than GW had anticipated so now they're back for a made to order batch.

quote:

returning to life between the 17th and the 27th of December only. There’s no limit on how many are available, but the order window will slam shut at 8am GMT on Tuesday the 27th of December

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/11/sunday-preview-cursed-city-expansions-rise-again/

So next weeks pre-orders are light, for obvious reasons of course. But apparently the Cursed City expansions sold out faster than GW had anticipated so now they're back for a made to order batch.

I just bought Cursed City since I’m starting a Soulblight Gravelords army and it seemed a good value for all the characters and some alternate sculpts for the troops, but now I’m wondering if I should snag these expansions in case I like the board game itself.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OK, probably against my better judgement I'm now debating picking up Gloomspite Gitz: Stampeding Squigalanche

It's out of stock on GW but not in other stores, can anyone advise me what I'd be missing to have a proper army?

I don't have the book, I know I want to get the looncourt and the gobbapalooza, but IDK what ever I need else to get for just a basic 1k army. I don't think I like the squigs as much as I like the gobbos

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It actually is not possible to tell you that right now. They're getting a new book next month and the current book is, uh, bad. Odds are, however, that you'd at least have a thousand points from that box alone. Not 2000, but a solid 1000.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm eying the Squigalanche as an WHFB exile and it looks fun as hell to complement my night goblins.

Plus a pretty good deal, since those mangler squigs alone would cost most of the discounted price.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The new Gitz book should be out very early next year, so get whatever looks fun to you... but not too much, yet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Guess I now have battleforce boxes for OBR and Gitz :cripes:

but also :unsmigghh:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

OK, probably against my better judgement I'm now debating picking up Gloomspite Gitz: Stampeding Squigalanche

It's out of stock on GW but not in other stores, can anyone advise me what I'd be missing to have a proper army?

I don't have the book, I know I want to get the looncourt and the gobbapalooza, but IDK what ever I need else to get for just a basic 1k army. I don't think I like the squigs as much as I like the gobbos

The current book sort of divides the army into 4 categories: Goblins, squigs, spiders, and troggoths. This means you get the most synergies sticking to one of those 4 categories as much as possible. However, like everyone else pointed out, the new book is probably going to change things.

I don't think AoS 3 books have changed terrain to cost points, so the Loonshrine's probably a good call to get. There's basically no reason to not bring faction terrain in AoS if your faction has it.

After that, I'd probably get the Shaman, it's hard to imagine the spell caster of the army becoming worthless in a new book.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Fungoid Cave Shaman, another unit or two of Squig Herd, and a couple units of Boingrots / Hoppers should get you pretty close to 2k, especially if you want to run the new warband and / or the Gobbapalooza.

Based on the other 3.0 tomes, my prediction is that everything gets a slight points increase in exchange for much better rules, there will be subfactions that reward you for focusing on certain units / combos of units, and they probably get a way to make Boingrots battleline either natively or as part of one of the subfactions.

I'd like to see mixing the archetypes become more viable since Gitz is so fractured right now, but aesthetically I do also like the idea of pure Trogg / Squig armies.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
The Ogor kits give lots of Gnoblars if you aren't using them as base decoration.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

a new cool guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A new cool buy who is also a special event mini available only for a limited time period in Warhammer Store.
Just for maximum FOMO.