Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oooh, they were probably event raids then. I knew something weird was going on when they were all Florges and Mimikyus.

Also for EV berries, the three best sources are apparently the Marinada auctions if they have them, the Alfornada minigame which gives multiple of them and sparkling points on East Province Areas 1 and 2 (each has 3 types of them)

Minigame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Gym challenge that's a"press the correct button" minigame. You can retry it and it gives a bunch of berries based on performance.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh neat

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, it's kinda wild that now, as long has the correct ability since that's the hardest thing to change, you can pretty much turn any Pokemon into competitive viable just by paying 640k money (520k for vitamins, 100k for 5 bottlecaps, 20k for mint) and getting them to 50. Since GF refuses to change how IVs work this is the next best thing.

Instead of trashing our old partners and doing 3h of eugenic crimes, we can just load them full of steroids vitamin supplements and food and they'll be ready to go.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Man, it's kinda wild that now, as long has the correct ability since that's the hardest thing to change, you can pretty much turn any Pokemon into competitive viable just by paying 640k money (520k for vitamins, 100k for 5 bottlecaps, 20k for mint) and getting them to 50. Since GF refuses to change how IVs work this is the next best thing.

Instead of trashing our old partners and doing 3h of eugenic crimes, we can just load them full of steroids vitamin supplements and food and they'll be ready to go.

We just need a rusty bottle cap to set a stat to 0 lol

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

MacheteZombie posted:

We just need a rusty bottle cap to set a stat to 0 lol
We need a hyper training guy and a different hyper training guy who is clearly an idiot who will train your pokemon wrong

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hey!

I'm wondering if I'm doing the gyms out of order.

I did the bug gym, then one of the Titans and one of the Team Star bases. Now I'm at the water gym and the levels of the enemy Pokemon seem high. Am I just not leveling enough, or is there another gym after bug but before water?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Has anyone had their six star black crystal reset mid-day? My online connection ended because I went in sleep mode and although I did a six star raid earlier today a new crystal spawned and all my outbreaks reset.

Also good news to whoever wanted that Technican Maushold in a luxury ball; I had another six star raid and can now breed you some

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I miss Poke Pelago. I could just send my little guys to the playground and the hot spring and to go farm berries. It allowed me to have fully EV trained level 1 Pokémon for when I started Ultra Moon and I didn’t really have to do anything but wait.

I think I will try to make my ingame team somewhat competitive ready this time. I also managed to catch a Modest Paradox Hydreigon. When I can connect to Home, I might do that same with some of my shinies by giving them better natures. I’ve got a Luxray and a Sandaconda that might be fun to use.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey!

I did the bug gym, then one of the Titans and one of the Team Star bases. Now I'm at the water gym and the levels of the enemy Pokemon seem high. Am I just not leveling enough, or is there another gym after bug but before water?

Yeah, if the Pokémon outside the town are higher level, you might be better off picking a different route. My first gyms were grass, electric and bug. I think I did water as my 5th gym.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey!

You can also just Google the best route that follows the level curve.

I believe the route for gyms is something like bug -> -> grass -> electric -> water -> Larry -> ghost -> psychic -> ice

Which is a little disappointing by the end because ice sucks and Grusha just gets one shot

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

wizard2 posted:

Got my first Ability Patch. What's a good mon to use it on? Probably will just use it on my starter, Meowscarada, but Im open to suggestions if theres anything particularly choice.

I used one on both Meoscarada and also Breloom to get technician boosted false swipe

I also may have 200+ ability patches at this point by taking advantage of a certain exploit that was recently patched (lol) out, so I'm willing to share extras if anyone is frustrated by the rareness of the drop

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey!

The "next" gym you're supposed to do is grass, but IMO if you can do a later gym earlier you should because its more fun. I did the ground titan way earlier than I probably should've and it was super intense!! But then I did the steel titan way later than intended and one-shot it, which was less exciting.

The level curve isn't really signposted anywhere, but we do have this map as a general rule of thumb if you're wondering where's the next best place to check out:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Here's a handy spoiler free little map of how the level scaling goes on the major objectives.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Y'all are babies and it's way more fun to go the unintended route!!!

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

hotdog feet posted:

I don't mind being under leveled, it's being overleved I hate. The game is easy enough without accidentally being five to ten levels over the "challenge"

Knowing the highest level Pokémon a trainer would use and following the level curve was way more fun for me because I got to control what I faced.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

every season has different rules, and sometimes they even get silly—at the end of SwSh’s life cycle there was a comp season where you were required to have an unevolved Magikarp on your team.

I think this one is just to get people used to using new guys (or old guys in new ways) by only using the non-legendaries and non-paradoxes in the base Paldea Pokédex

That's delightful, aight. Thanks for the replies all.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Which is a little disappointing by the end because ice sucks and Grusha just gets one shot

Seriously, that was very disappointing. Also the first Titan where I saw all those boulders rolling down the hill at you, decided to avoid it for the time being, and then only remembered it 30 levels later whereupon every 'mon I had could one shot it. Bit disappointing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey!

I'm pretty sure that Grass is intended to be the second gym, and Electric third. Water I'm pretty sure is gym #4.
From a Polygon article, you can find the gym leader order below, with their level ranges:
Cortondo gym (Bug, level 14-15)
Artazon gym (Grass, level 16-18)
Levincia gym (Electric, level 23-24)
Cascarrafa gym (Water, level 29-30)
Medali gym (Normal, level 35-36)
Montenevera gym (Ghost, level 41-42)
Alfornada gym (Psychic, level 44-45)
Glaseado gym (Ice, level 47-48)

It's pretty easy to do them out of order, and you probably won't be that challenged unless you do a big skip like attempting Water early like you're doing now.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would have gone all over the place with the gyms, but I was catching all these cool Pokémon and then realized I wouldn’t be able to use them because I didn’t have enough gym badges. Then I went to do more lower level gyms so I could put my higher level guys in my party. I was rearing to climb the mountain to the ice gym, but put a pause on that until I could reliably command the Pokémon I was catching on that route. I think I did ice 6th, with ghost being my final one.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I did Water third, and then Electric, because the last Pokemon in the Electric gym is very rude.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I did bug and grass because I had fuecoco and then found my beloved murkrow ace, then wanted to do psychic but couldn't find a way over there, so I did electric, then psychic, then normal, water, ice, and ghost.

After normal unfortunately water, ice, and ghost were free. Psychic definitely posed the hardest challenge both because I run a spoooooky dark/ghost gimmick (all squad mains must be one of the two) and because I was dramatically underleveled.

By the time I had them all done I'd done every Titan but the false dragon, so I did that, and then I went on a tour of star bases, of which Eri posed a legit challenge and Ortega was also pretty rough because of the bad matchup.

I was really pleased that some of the higher level dudes had ample moves for coverage so you couldn't just sweep on a strong matchup. There were a number of good challenges that I had to try again on, but because of the order I did them there were also a number of walks.

Basically, Paldea is a land of contrasts.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm really wondering if raids are really the ideal path to levelling right now. To 100, sure, but they only give like 1 XL and 5 L candies which are a few levels on 1 mon but between the glitchiness of raids and trying to find them and complete them it feels it'd be better for me to farm Chanseys at endgame using the Normal Encounter which makes them spawn a lot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

just solo them

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I'm pretty sure that Grass is intended to be the second gym, and Electric third. Water I'm pretty sure is gym #4.
From a Polygon article, you can find the gym leader order below, with their level ranges:
Cortondo gym (Bug, level 14-15)
Artazon gym (Grass, level 16-18)
Levincia gym (Electric, level 23-24)
Cascarrafa gym (Water, level 29-30)
Medali gym (Normal, level 35-36)
Montenevera gym (Ghost, level 41-42)
Alfornada gym (Psychic, level 44-45)
Glaseado gym (Ice, level 47-48)

It's pretty easy to do them out of order, and you probably won't be that challenged unless you do a big skip like attempting Water early like you're doing now.

Yeah I went out of order pretty fast because I was trying to find my way up the mountain without the rock climbing skill and accidentally meandered my way into Medali where I threw hands with Larry. Because of that most of my time battling gyms felt pretty in sync with my level. It wasn't until later when I was finishing things up I realized I'd skipped some people.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

hotdog feet posted:

It's a bit boring when you go to something you skipped and you just annihilate them though

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Because I insisted on keeping my mons at a low level so I could at least have some kind of a challenge through the game and kept a revolving door of Pokemon in my party so I could keep evolving them for dex filling, I ended up actually being somewhat underleveled for the Elite Four, which ended up feeling pretty satisfying.

I actually struggled quite a bit in the fight with Nemona after becoming champion because my Tinkaton's Play Rough deciding to miss when I needed it most gave her time for her last pokemon to set up and sweep me really badly. I had to keep using revives to just stall out that move's PP so I could bring Tink back in for a Gigaton Hammer final strike.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I don't mind being under leveled, it's being overleved I hate. The game is easy enough without accidentally being five to ten levels over the "challenge"

Knowing the highest level Pokémon a trainer would use and following the level curve was way more fun for me because I got to control what I faced.
Here's my solution to that which I would totally have done if I knew the structure of Paldea and I really want to try on a subsequent playthrough:

Take one team and go west. Get as far as you can, fight poo poo you should be able to, have a blast.

Then box that team, and start over with another low level team of 6 pokemon and go east.

You get to play with 12 guys, the 2nd team gets to have a lot more diversity, and you're always wildly under leveled with intense fights.

By the time your two paths meet up in the north maybe pick 3 from each team to be your final guys. Seems like it would be a fun way to keep the game challenging and use a lot of pokemon without being too much effort or too contrived a challenge.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat I've had some bad luck today. Have the shiny charm, made perfect sandwiches, tried farming a mass outbreak of varooms 4 times and no shiny. Decided to go try roaring moon shiny farming and 3 attempts only 2 shiny zweilous. Thank goodness for manual save so I didn't waste herba mysticas

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm in the great crater. Found a blue Venomoth. The music keeps making me think it's going to break into a chorus of "Oh come let us adore Him"

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
What is the Alfornada minigame?

Edit - ignore this, I missed the new page.

humpthewind fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 6, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
All for Nada

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Hammerite posted:

I'm in the great crater. Found a blue Venomoth. The music keeps making me think it's going to break into a chorus of "Oh come let us adore Him"

The angelic music was fitting for the shiny jumpluff I had fly away :(

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hammerite posted:

Uhhh....what kind of church do you go to where they play creepy electronic synth over the choir?

Yestermoment posted:

The angelic music was fitting for the shiny jumpluff I had fly away :(

Watched this happen with an average Scream Tail and all I could think was 'welp the barrier is apparently not holding.'

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Just as an FYI, I've had a lot of luck getting version exclusives trading with randos using these codes: https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-scarlet-violet-trade-codes-1997432/

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Flopsy posted:

Uhhh....what kind of church do you go to where they play creepy electronic synth over the choir?

Watched this happen with an average Scream Tail and all I could think was 'welp the barrier is apparently not holding.'

I don't go to church, it's just vague memories of school assemblies when I was a kid.

The tune is just super reminiscent of that hymn at various points. Particularly the bit that plays from about 1:12 to 1:20 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuMHCJ_fWJg&t=72s)

that bit sounds like the phrase at the end of each verse from the hymn, so every time I hear it, it makes me think we're going into the chorus of the hymn.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

I'm really wondering if raids are really the ideal path to levelling right now. To 100, sure, but they only give like 1 XL and 5 L candies which are a few levels on 1 mon but between the glitchiness of raids and trying to find them and complete them it feels it'd be better for me to farm Chanseys at endgame using the Normal Encounter which makes them spawn a lot.

Doing random raid roulette is chill, you don't need to run around the map, it has way less problems connecting to a room than when you pick one from the catalog, and you get a ton of treasure, ability patches, mints and HMs on top of the XP candies. But chansey genocide is still pretty good if you have multiple mons to level up at once.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

junan_paalla posted:

Doing random raid roulette is chill, you don't need to run around the map, it has way less problems connecting to a room than when you pick one from the catalog, and you get a ton of treasure, ability patches, mints and HMs on top of the XP candies. But chansey genocide is still pretty good if you have multiple mons to level up at once.

Well, I wanted to try out Paradox/More new mons on the rematches so yeah I need to level a lot of mons.

But in just 30 min I got enough mons for 2 gyms. Just a bit more to clear the rematches, try out a new team for my first Tournament and then level ASAP a Tera Fairy Azumarril/Flutter Mane for the Charizard raid before it leaves. Granted with the lv 100 requirement I'm gonna need to do a lot of raids...

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Well, I wanted to try out Paradox/More new mons on the rematches so yeah I need to level a lot of mons.

But in just 30 min I got enough mons for 2 gyms. Just a bit more to clear the rematches, try out a new team for my first Tournament and then level ASAP a Tera Fairy Azumarril/Flutter Mane for the Charizard raid before it leaves. Granted with the lv 100 requirement I'm gonna need to do a lot of raids...

Yeah the time:reward ratio for raids is a bit different before you unlock 6-stars and have some maxed out key pokemon to help blast through them.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I found a Modest Technician Meowth. I am once again changing up my team...

I keep thinking I want a game with every Pokemon available but I clearly would never finish it because I will never settle on a team long enough to beat anything. :negative:

e: Swift/Snarl/Icy Wind/Chilling Water seems like decent coverage and tons of stat fuckery. Might drop Icy Wind for Nasty Plot if I can get away with having zero ice type attacks. I know this isnt ideal but I dont care, I will make it work dammit.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 6, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u can use sylveon also with the bonus that for your own charizard raid you can just one shot it solo w npcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Dienes posted:

Just as an FYI, I've had a lot of luck getting version exclusives trading with randos using these codes: https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-scarlet-violet-trade-codes-1997432/

Tried this to get Flutter Mane, but apparently everyone bought Violet. Which is good, glad to see people saw which one was the good version.

Also, what does the white glow on trading do? I saw a help message but it did not say.