Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

Anybody have that cartoon with the fat guy hooking up his avatar Navi braid to a big mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
so I tried giving Sandman a chance and maybe its not for me but I thought it was horribly boring and uninteresting

now edgerunners that poo poo slaps

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He's getting away with it all over again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Random recommendation, yall might enjoy Wolfpack (1987).

u should be ashamed of yourself recommending a movie that talks about hitler

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Koirhor posted:

so I tried giving Sandman a chance and maybe its not for me but I thought it was horribly boring and uninteresting

now edgerunners that poo poo slaps
Not the biggest Sandman fan but I was disappointed. Went back and read first few trades so I could compare, and while they're welcome to make any changes in an adaptation, I don't appreciate the full-blown YA fantasy replacing the dark horror elements from the first episodes. It's understandable that they can't have Etrigan leading Dream through Hell and John Dee can't be in Arkham Asylum with Batman villains, but these things made the comics feel more relaxed and confident enough to be silly, where the show desperately wants to appear serious and cool, which has the opposite effect. The best example of this is probably the "game of reality" in Hell, which in the comic is Dream and a lesser demon dressed like beat poets trading barbs on stage through old microphones, and the Netflix show has Dream instead confronting Lucifer clad in fantasy leather armor.

And it's terminally infected with the stalest elements of prestige drama. The Corinthian has to appear in the first episode and keep making pointless cameos to remind you he's a big bad guy. Desire appeared at the end of the last episode I saw in a badly composited Frankenstein monster of conflicting background and lighting, but isn't even there for the next episode - it's just a cheap stinger. They combine comics to reach the hour mark because the production team must really believe that 30 minutes is for comedies and 1 hour is for dramas.

Blegh. There's some good changes - making John Dee more sympathetic rather than a skull-faced sadist made better use of David Thewlis, Johanna Constantine and Death were good casting decisions, but otherwise there's nothing special about it. I can't think of Patton Oswald as anything but Happy! as the raven.

Knight has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Dec 7, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I rewatched Heist tonight and while I think Mamet's one of the all-timers for screenplays I don't think he's a great director

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That thing how people are always thinking James Cameron is doing wrong dumb poo poo and being stupid and wasting money and making poor choices before he is somehow always proven right and correct and smashing box office records and creating amazing movies, that thing that's been going on for like 40 years, it's only going to make the one time James Cameron actually fails and actually fucks up just that much more delicious

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

u should be ashamed of yourself recommending a movie that talks about hitler

I always forget depiction is endorsement

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He literally went to the bottom of the ocean

that's an extremely resource intensive bit of tourism for someone who professes to Love The Earth, Don't Be Like The Future Earth, Be Like My Cat Barbies

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
James Cameron does a movie set in the hollow Earth, showing us the mysteries of the Mole People

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

new one seems even more daunting to endure

192 minutes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mameluke posted:

that's an extremely resource intensive bit of tourism for someone who professes to Love The Earth, Don't Be Like The Future Earth, Be Like My Cat Barbies
by making a movie about a planet/lifestyle that's so superior to that of earth that people retreat into a fantasy world, he makes that back a hundredfold by preventing new babies

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slider posted:

never seen the original avatar movie

new one seems even more daunting to endure

192 minutes

the premise sounds too silly. unobtainium? come on, jack

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

anyone with millions of dollars can do this, not impressive

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I'm just glad goons have a new epic guy to worship

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

take some drugs and I guarantee ava2ar will be a great time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

conceptual james cameron

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

by making a movie about a planet/lifestyle that's so superior to that of earth that people retreat into a fantasy world, he makes that back a hundredfold by preventing new babies

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

:discourse:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

conceptual james cameron

aka Ridley Scott

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nichael posted:

not saying it'll be bad, but "first reaction" twitter is always extremely hyperbolic

are they tweeting from the carpet? lol yes just try to tweet anything less than full adulation while you're at the open bar with a bunch of celebrities you idolize milling around you and see if you ever get another invite from the studio

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It sucks that in Sandman you meet whatsherface Constantine but she's posh AF and talks like a times journalist who went to Oxford. And she's introduced saving a royal from a scary black footballer.

Like the whole point of comic constantine is he's a working class geezer who rubs the tories the wrong way and annoys demons

He's meant to be supernatural columbo except ruder so he goes "oh an one more fing, Mr Satan... go suck yer da!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I really wish Milligan or Carey had written a proper Constantine x Lucifer story

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm glad avatar heads are getting their fix and love avatar 2. There is absolutely no way I'm gonna watch a three hour movie without an intermission tho

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i liked sandman well enough, jenna coleman was a weird fit as constantine but a good fit as jenna coleman. the hell episode did suck the worst, all the grandiose stuff looked cheap and unimaginative.

thewlis as dee was worth the price of admission, imo.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

big girl from GoT fuckin sucked as Lucifer

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

he should’ve stayed there

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Terminator is an all-time great action movie, but beyond that I don't have any other Cameron movies I'm a huge fan of. Alien is vastly superior to Aliens, and Aliens is outmaneuvered by Predator in the "let's watch '80s machismo get stomped" department.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You know what, sure, gimme avatar 2, will watch it in imax. make movies bust the block again, enough watching a24 stuff at home, I wanna indulge in something that'll melt my eyes out of my skull and get sick & throw up two lbs of popcorn after

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Terminator is an all-time great action movie, but beyond that I don't have any other Cameron movies I'm a huge fan of. Alien is vastly superior to Aliens, and Aliens is outmaneuvered by Predator in the "let's watch '80s machismo get stomped" department.

there are a whole bunch of other action movies I’d go to first. alien was cool but not that cool that I wanted to see any sequels. to me, between the terminator, the alien, and the titanic, james cameron seems a little dull and throws money at problems to solve them in uninteresting ways. you don’t need to go to the bottom of the sea to make a movie about a ship bro. it’s embarrassing when people are getting all Epic Bacon Chuck Norris about Cameron.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

it’s embarrassing when people are getting all Epic Bacon Chuck Norris about Cameron.

every early review is just saying the exact same stuff people said about the original Avatar, which still sucks sorry

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still reading Count of Monte Cristo. I am by now at the part where he's back in Paris and is slowly chipping away at his enemies without revealing himself, by making the banker guy's investments all go bad, manipulating him into betrothing his daughter to her broke half-brother, etc, and now disgracing the military guy by selling his horrible shameful secrets to the newspapers, and it's kind of depressing me because all I can think is how little of a poo poo anybody would give if the same thing happened today. Even if the papers DO push scandals, which they increasingly just don't, nobody cares. Powerful people can get away with loving anything in 21st century America.

also at this point he has done precisely jack poo poo to the lawyer guy. Dantes had absolutely nothing to do with the worst thing that has happened to Villefort (his daughter's engagement falling apart because his dad killed the groom-to-be's dad), and it would have happened regardless. He's loving with him mentally, by buying his old house where he (thinks he) killed his bastard child and making him walk around it and talking loudly about all the dark deeds that surely happened there etc etc, but that doesn't really mean anything.

loquacius has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Dec 7, 2022

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

there are a whole bunch of other action movies I’d go to first. alien was cool but not that cool that I wanted to see any sequels. to me, between the terminator, the alien, and the titanic, james cameron seems a little dull and throws money at problems to solve them in uninteresting ways. you don’t need to go to the bottom of the sea to make a movie about a ship bro. it’s embarrassing when people are getting all Epic Bacon Chuck Norris about Cameron.

I think its a little unfair to say he solves problems in uninteresting ways when it's stuff like building full scale 1:1 sets that can be flooded with water, sure its throwing money at the problem but the result is fantastic considering the time

Nowadays people would throw CGI artists at the problem which is way way less interesting and maybe not even as cheap (look at the slave mines that are Marvel studios)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finding out your famous military dad made his career by accepting a bribe to turn traitor, in 19th century France: "No... No! My poor mother! Alas, the shame and dishonor! I shall never speak to the cowardly old wretch again! His name is a black mark upon mine!"

Finding out something equivalent in 21st century America: "Ugh, fake news again 🙄 Wonder how much the Russians paid for that 'story'. Anyway, back to accepting bribes for a living literally every day as a wealthy failson!"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
We're well past the "blood washes out dishonor" stage of bourgeois propriety

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

loquacius posted:

Still reading Count of Monte Cristo. I am by now at the part where he's back in Paris and is slowly chipping away at his enemies without revealing himself, by making the banker guy's investments all go bad, manipulating him into betrothing his daughter to her broke half-brother, etc, and now disgracing the military guy by selling his horrible shameful secrets to the newspapers, and it's kind of depressing me because all I can think is how little of a poo poo anybody would give if the same thing happened today. Even if the papers DO push scandals, which they increasingly just don't, nobody cares. Powerful people can get away with loving anything in 21st century America.

also at this point he has done precisely jack poo poo to the lawyer guy. Dantes had absolutely nothing to do with the worst thing that has happened to Villefort (his daughter's engagement falling apart because his dad killed the groom-to-be's dad), and it would have happened regardless. He's loving with him mentally, by buying his old house where he (thinks he) killed his bastard child and making him walk around it and talking loudly about all the dark deeds that surely happened there etc etc, but that doesn't really mean anything.

He tore apart all of their families using what they were most proud of, and found a new one for himself.

Femur has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Dec 7, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I can't wait to get to know Spider!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

I think its a little unfair to say he solves problems in uninteresting ways when it's stuff like building full scale 1:1 sets that can be flooded with water, sure its throwing money at the problem but the result is fantastic considering the time

I’m probably the kind of person who would rather the flood be implied by some close up of the actors faces and clever editing

quote:

Nowadays people would throw CGI artists at the problem which is way way less interesting and maybe not even as cheap (look at the slave mines that are Marvel studios)

this is true, Christine and Brazil effects hold up well decades later. movies and shows came out this month with much worse looking cgi.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I can't wait to get to know Spider!

love this little guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is avatar 2 in 3D glasses vision?