Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

You don't get rich buying books and games your tax dollars have already paid for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Mons Hubris posted:

My library doesn't have games, or even DVDs :smith:

Reas this as "My library doesn't have guns :smith:"

lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trying the trial and River City Girls kinda sucks. The combat feels weak and slow compared to the Kunio 3DS games, let alone something like Streets of Rage 4. I don’t understand why it’s more popular than its parent series.:shrug:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Reas this as "My library doesn't have guns :smith:"

lol

What is America coming to, when yer library doesn't have guns?
Is this what you call freedom?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I get games from the library all the time. It's not a quick process though. I put a bunch of them on hold, and then a few weeks/months later, they email me telling to come pick one up. I get to play it for three weeks and then bring it back.

It's been super helpful not spending $60 just to find out that my kids will only play a Pokemon game for about 4 hours before they are tired of it. This is also how I found out how great Luigi's Mansion is, so we checked that out twice.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

What is America coming to, when yer library doesn't have guns?
Is this what you call freedom?

In Texas, they don't let you into a library unless you're armed :clint:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I finally wrapped up my fourth and final play-through of Triangle Strategy. It's terrific and if you enjoy Tactics games or Strategy RPGs I highly recommend it. Yes it's got a lot of plot, but the battles are seriously good and every unit is interesting and cool. Also the gameplay is very streamlined and lacking some of the clunkier artifacts of older games I'd say.

Now the question is what to play!

I had initially been leaning on getting an indie game either Tunic, Sifu, Omori, or Neon White, but something chill like TOEM or Dorfromantik seem appealing too. Heck maybe something off the cuff like The Good Life (was that good?), Sludge Life, Umurgangi Generation, I Am Dead, or Anodyne 2 and that's just some of the random stuff on my wish-list.

Or I can just buckle down and play Metroid Dread finally (or chicken out and beat Portal 2 again).

I don't feel like a huge time commitment, which I know Dread isn't, but I also don't know if I want to play a game where I have to think/react much right now. Could be nice to just chill out for a bit.

I had pretty much said it was going to be Tunic but with how immersive it is, I may need something less whatever-it-is at the moment.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
My library does *not* lend out games and it sucks. My county is home to a ton of video game studios and HQs (Seattle / Bellevue / Redmond / etc.) and I worry they've lobbied or pressured the library system not to carry them, because it doesn't make sense at all

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Looper posted:

i want phoenix and edgeworth to move in together

:yeah:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I finally wrapped up my fourth and final play-through of Triangle Strategy. It's terrific and if you enjoy Tactics games or Strategy RPGs I highly recommend it. Yes it's got a lot of plot, but the battles are seriously good and every unit is interesting and cool. Also the gameplay is very streamlined and lacking some of the clunkier artifacts of older games I'd say.

I had initially been leaning on getting an indie game either Tunic, Sifu, Omori, or Neon White, but something chill like TOEM or Dorfromantik seem appealing too. Heck maybe something off the cuff like The Good Life (was that good?), Sludge Life, Umurgangi Generation, I Am Dead, or Anodyne 2 and that's just some of the random stuff on my wish-list.

Or I can just buckle down and play Metroid Dread finally (or chicken out and beat Portal 2 again).

I don't feel like a huge time commitment, which I know Dread isn't, but I also don't know if I want to play a game where I have to think/react much right now. Could be nice to just chill out for a bit.

I had pretty much said it was going to be Tunic but with how immersive it is, I may need something less whatever-it-is at the moment.

Play Dread!

There’s very little thinking or reacting required. Keep forward momentum going and blast stuff in front of you.

But I get wanting to chill. I’m in a wanting to chill phase and I’m playing Monster Sanctuary and when I really can’t be bothered to think, Castlevania Advance Collection. I was eyeing Dorfromantik but I’m in a spend as little as possible and maximize value for every dollar spent phase of life right now. Six bucks for three new (to me) Castlevanias felt like a much wiser investment.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

SeANMcBAY posted:

Trying the trial and River City Girls kinda sucks. The combat feels weak and slow compared to the Kunio 3DS games, let alone something like Streets of Rage 4. I don’t understand why it’s more popular than its parent series.:shrug:

I don't know how far the trial lets you get in, but the combat gets much punchier by the midgame when you've got a nice mix of SP consuming moves and air launches.

The really thin early moveset of "weak combo -> immediately into strong -> maybe ground stomp if there's nobody else to punch" is a bit anemic at first, yeah. It's the weakest part of a replay of the game, and while it is an RPG and needed some form of power progression, they could've given you a bit more. Especially so given dying just sets your progress back on getting said better moveset and how few the options for hitting floored enemies are.

The music and charm more than makes up for it in my case, but folks just playing for mechanical complexity probably won't find it to be too good.

RCG2 looks like it's stepped up the game on allowing real crazy combo stuff at least.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

In Texas, they don't let you into a library unless you're armed :clint:
I rented a shotgun in Texas once. All they asked for was my ID and some money. Didn't even care that I was a dirty foreigner. Then a friendly local goon showed up and loaned my wife a 12gauge as well. Really friendly, hospitable people down there.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Have they revamped any of the old Kunio sports titles? I vaguely recall enjoying the soccer and dodgeball games. (Could be wrong though)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So is Mario Kart dropping at midnight?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m in a wanting to chill phase and I’m playing Monster Sanctuary and when I really can’t be bothered to think, Castlevania Advance Collection.

Yep those are very cozy games. CotM can get stressful but AoS is smooth as butter and HoD is uh, unique (but also my secret favorite).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So is Mario Kart dropping at midnight?
Hit A at 11:59:58 for a speed boost to your download.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got stuck at Apollo Justice. I'll get through it eventually to what I hope are two good games w/ the Investigations games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
all of them are good

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
River city girls is dumb and fun af.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

River city girls is dumb and fun af.

Is it basically a River City Ransom remake only with female protagonists or a new game in the same series/genre?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Tunic seems like exactly the kind of game I would love and I really didn’t like it at all. Not sure what the general opinion is here but the exploration was needlessly slow and difficult to figure out where to go due to the isometric camera, and the combat is clunky enough that some of the bosses are just straight up not fun.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

What time does Nintendo DLC usually drop? Hankerin me some new MK8 courses

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Is it basically a River City Ransom remake only with female protagonists or a new game in the same series/genre?

I didn't play much of the original but it seems like a modern take on the classic best em up genre with funny dialogue.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Waltzing Along posted:

I got stuck at Apollo Justice. I'll get through it eventually to what I hope are two good games w/ the Investigations games.

I'm not a huge fan of Investigations 1 but it's fine. Investigations 2 is extremely good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well huh….

https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/1600342335845724160?s=46&t=GwR3uFweeva1pvjFBxhDZg

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Why would they punish Nintendo for their decision? :(

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It will either be via cloud versions (lol multiplayer) or ports of the already existing mobile version. They’re just doing this to make Sony look bad for whining and trying to block the merger.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

It will either be via cloud versions (lol multiplayer) or ports of the already existing mobile version. They’re just doing this to make Sony look bad for whining and trying to block the merger.

https://twitter.com/BradSmi/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
A whole lot of Nintendo fans will be joining the military now.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
God bless Actraiser Renaissance for having the forward thinking body positive message of having saggy massive anime tits in act 3

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Switch 2 confirmed! :woop:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Palmtree Panic posted:

A whole lot of Nintendo fans will be joining the military now.

to fight for higher frame rates, yes

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WarpDogs posted:

to fight for higher frame rates, yes

Pretend the flag is actually the Nintendo Seal of Quality™ here:

:patriot:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Ah yes very fond memories of playing the superior wii CoD versions

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Also lol if world renouned war game cod makes it to switch before advanced wars

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
If we’re committing war crimes in video games, I’d rather be under the command of the kid who doesn’t know what an airport is.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Can't wait for Modern Warfare to be a launch title for the Switch Pro! in 2025

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mr.Acula posted:

Ah yes very fond memories of playing the superior wii CoD versions

The Wii CoD ports were legit great sir.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I read that as Activision Burger King like 5 times and was convinced we were in a brave new world.

Mr.Acula posted:

Also lol if world renouned war game cod makes it to switch before advanced wars

I never played the WW2 era games that series started with but the set-pieces, which I thought looked accurate at the time made it seem interesting. I'd try that out out of curiosity, but never for the multiplayer.

Wildtortilla posted:

Play Dread!

There’s very little thinking or reacting required. Keep forward momentum going and blast stuff in front of you.

Hm, I was more concerned with the boss fights that I hear actually take skill, much like they did in Samus Returns. It's not a problem, just wanted to not have to worry about stuff.

However, I can knock it out in some 10-12 hours probably, which isn't bad what with the Christmas Holiday coming up (plus being out "sick" with Covid this last week which got me through TS). Then I can dedicate the months until BotW 2 to indie games!

I like that plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The bosses in Dread are a weirdly steep difficulty spike, it's true. I mean, I really enjoyed them but they must be seriously off-putting for other people who aren't looking for a Dark Souls bullet hell difficulty wall, especially since the rest of the game is so much easier.