Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Yankees are no closer to winning the world series than they were yesterday.

Hey at least their off-season can finally start now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heyman is getting a lot of ink for his splashy moron tweet but I want people to remember the best to ever do it is still out there cooking

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Taillon for 68 is a way better value than Walker getting 72.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Yankees are no closer to winning the world series than they were yesterday.
yesterday they didn’t have Judge :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

Absolutely

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Is it really though? They are basically the same guy except Walker gives up slightly less dingers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am so incredibly happy Judge is back. I woke up and read the notification from The Athletic and it felt like I had just gotten a massage, I didn't realize how wildly stressed I was from the Heyman saga last night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Meanwhile all those SF fans are still asleep in their beds dreaming of Judge.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Boy I sure hope the Jays do something.

Anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Is it really though? They are basically the same guy except Walker gives up slightly less dingers
Walker’s coming off a year that looks pretty fluky to me. Taillon’s been relatively consistent when healthy.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Happy for Judge especially after the Yankees tried to publicly shame him for not taking their offer before the 2022 season.

Now they just need a $300 million payroll to get out of the rest of the mess Cashman created.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm sure Preller has a plan.

gently caress if I know what it is, but

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/1600497204845846528?s=20&t=XUmXGjf_zQn1gkm7Ihg3pQ
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1600486507302617088?s=20&t=XUmXGjf_zQn1gkm7Ihg3pQ

Looks like those leaks yesterday were definitely from Judge's camp to get the Yankees to raise their offer. And good for them for getting payback on the Yankees for going public with the extension offer this past season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees are just not a well run baseball team. They are CONSTANTLY overpaying for players. I can't remember the last actually good value deal the Yankees signed. And you could say that they should just do exactly what the Braves do with their young players but that would imply that they have any good young players worth keeping around for any period of time younger than Judge which they don't. (Other than a few RPs)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/1600338057206829056

Hmm I was told no one wanted the job. Please hire someone and do not make the GM a guy named Firkus.

Passan loves his Astros In Disarray stories

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 7, 2022

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MY LARGE ADULT SON IS COMING HOME!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/1600506234834239490

lol Hal is at the White Lotus.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I guess I can see the appeal of 9 consecutive years of being booed every time you go 0-4.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I guess I can see the appeal of 9 consecutive years of being booed every time you go 0-4.

I do like the "he's going to leave because fans hurt his feelings" narrative being clearly dumb and wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Listen man I don't want to hear about what Hal Steinbrenner is consummating in the wee hours of his Italian vacation

But also lmao at going on vacation during basically your busiest week at work.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
San Diego press reporting that Preller and Seidler met with Judge at the last minute but never put out a formal offer and didn't even consider themselved close, which tracks and is starkly different than Turner. Maybe just theatre to show Manny they'll continue to be aggressive in advance of his optout next year?

mcmagic posted:

And you could say that they should just do exactly what the Braves do with their young players but that would imply that they have any good young players worth keeping around for any period of time younger than Judge which they don't. (Other than a few RPs)
A shocking turn of events for the team that mere months ago could have easily put together the best package for Soto (without touching many top prospects) if only they weren't small time losers and instead cared about winning.

zoux posted:

But also lmao at going on vacation during basically your busiest week at work.
Wealthy douchebag flex. He can because everyone else will have to adapt to him and he likes reminding them of that-- particularly when other owners are flexing by spending money instead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1600511401654554625

The Padres do business in a really weird way.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If Bob says they offered that then they definitely didn't

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1600513257868914690

This is good value.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Nodoze posted:

If Bob says they offered that then they definitely didn't
Yeah, from Acee at San Diego Union Tribune:

quote:

They were in on Aaron Judge. Not in for very long. But in.

Their meeting with Judge — Tuesday night in their home ballpark — was late enough that they didn’t actually make a formal offer to the right fielder.

They were far more in on Judge than they were on Bryce Harper, who a contingent from the team visited in Las Vegas in 2019. They were far less in on him than they were on Trea Turner, who they visited with twice last month.

Judge ended up agreeing to remain with the Yankees for nine years and $360 million, a record deal that became public Wednesday morning. The $40 million average salary is the highest in MLB history for a position player.

The Padres weren’t close to getting Judge. But the fact they tried is absurd enough.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees are just not a well run baseball team. They are CONSTANTLY overpaying for players.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

mcmagic posted:

I do like the "he's going to leave because fans hurt his feelings" narrative being clearly dumb and wrong.

It may be dumb and wrong, but evidence points to it being expensive.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

gently caress Jerry what the hell were you doing

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Red Sox do something

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1600515927950229506?s=20&t=2finAJtfNx9edymqXZ9h_w

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Old RP's is really the thing you want to be using free agency for.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TV Zombie posted:

So with Wheeler, Noah and now Walker, I hope the phillies have more success with ex-mets pitchers than they did.

Syndergaard is a free agent at the moment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

So with Wheeler, Noah and now Walker, I hope the phillies have more success with ex-mets pitchers than they did.

The Wheeler contract was a complete steal, the other 2 are meh.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/EricNineOne/status/1600516463483240448?t=PA5WgERmQkhqozhTKf4FPQ&s=19

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Quintana for 2/26 is a good deal in this market

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

….why

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lol that Jansen deal is bad

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Red Sox needed relief help and have been getting blasted left and right for not doing anything

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yea people seem really annoyed in braves world to have lost Kenley and I'm just like... who cares? raisel is the truth

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

will anyone sign Dirty Craig?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jansen rebounded last year but as is with most relievers the cliff could be right around the corner given his age. He isn't what he was a few years ago obviously, but his stuff is still good enough to get the job done most of the time even if he will make you sweat it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Red Sox having another star player leave while signing some pitcher that will fall off a cliff or get injured like the rest of their staff is just a thing I guess now.