Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Obviously he still needs to pay Xander (Chaim, you freaking dope), but I really like how Bloom's rebuilt the pen this off-season. Sure, relievers are volatile, but they've added three fairly steady dudes to a group that was a complete tire fire for good chunks of last year.

A great bullpen is vital for success and they should improve from last year for sure (bottom 5 in MLB if I remember right).

To be honest I'm happier that the Astros bullpen is still intact more so the offense or the starting pitching. That postseason performance by them is something I'll never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1600538704430276608

Pat rules and this rules

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chicago Cubs baseball is ON THE AIR

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 7, 2022

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really really hope the Willson deal goes official soon :woop: he’s exactly what the team needs and I’m no longer convinced that he’s a truly bad defender. I feel like that just became a thing and I fully believed it. There are enough people around the birds to whip that into better shape anyway

Sad we didn’t keep Quintana but oh well. One of my favorite half season players. He was awesome for the team. The Mets should love him as long as he doesn’t regress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1600546351636713472

Welp

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/foxxi_loxxi/status/1600544509766422528

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Guess Astros sticking with Maldy, which is fine. Really need to upgrade one more bat now though. Please be Brantley.

I think the 5 years is what the Astros wouldn't match.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 7, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I expected Willson to go to the Astros if only to get the gently caress out of the NL Centeral so he could stop getting constantly plunked by the Brewers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess they're happy with Hensley
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1600547441878540288

He'll rake for one month out of the year and then get injured be dogshit. Oh and he'll post a 1. OPS vs the Astros going forward.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 7, 2022

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zoux posted:

And a utility man I guess
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1600547441878540288

He'll rake for one month out of the year and then get injured be dogshit

$7 million a year for Diaz? What the hell?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Aaron Judge is my captain.

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1600541396397703188?t=VcF_4Yei0V0HhpT0JlttNg&s=19

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Aledmys is not worth that IMO.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Incredible that Judge was able to get MLB involved by providing him juiced balls just so he could really wring the Yankees. Truly a free agent process of legends.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Aledmys is not worth that IMO.

Nope. Market is completely unmoored.

https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/1600551608542064640

Extremely cursed tweet.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That owns and I like him a lot more now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao so Judge's camp absolutely played the Heyman like a fiddle and fed him or his sources a false rumor that a deal with the Giants was done. The perfect stooge.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1600551537519915008

Seems like kind of a low AAV for a unicorn offensive catcher - particularly in this market.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t know if they deliberately lied to Heyman. I feel like he probably just bit on the bait Judge was hanging. I also think San Fran was just genuinely confident they had him since Heyman wasn’t the only reporter quoted on that.

So I think Judge just bluffed real hard and everyone bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

Seems like kind of a low AAV for a unicorn offensive catcher - particularly in this market.
Agreed

Nobody really puts up numbers like him

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Sydin posted:

Why would the Cubs not re-sign him for a similar contract to this? That seems like a great deal for a player of his caliber (and it's not like good catchers are common).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I hate everything

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

zoux posted:

Nope. Market is completely unmoored.

https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/1600551608542064640

Extremely cursed tweet.

Contreras is dead to me now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ihatepants posted:

Why would the Cubs not re-sign him for a similar contract to this? That seems like a great deal for a player of his caliber (and it's not like good catchers are common).

I have no idea, the Cubs just seemed to be well and truly done with him for whatever reason. No attempts to extend him this year even though Willson was publicly saying he wanted to stay a Cub, pushed really hard to trade him at the deadline, and then immediately QO'd him in the offseason knowing he'd turn it down with zero smoke around a potential reunion.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s an insanely good deal for the Cards. drat. Nice. Now spend more money on some pitching and maybe another infielder and win a WS plz thx.

If Walker delivers next year too :gizz:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lol this is very funny if he really did stage it. Hal and Cashman got owned!!!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Sydin posted:

I have no idea, the Cubs just seemed to be well and truly done with him for whatever reason. No attempts to extend him this year even though Willson was publicly saying he wanted to stay a Cub, pushed really hard to trade him at the deadline, and then immediately QO'd him in the offseason knowing he'd turn it down with zero smoke around a potential reunion.

That's sad. I'm sorry Cubs posters. Always hate to see fan favorites go, and to a division rival makes it even worse.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

I hate everything

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Honestly yeah I have no interest in talking poo poo about this to the Cubs outside of the org itself. I would be pretty pissed about it because it just doesn’t make sense. Unless the dude is truly awful in some way, contract wise, performance, attitude, whatever then just keep him? He fit well with that Cubs team and it seems like such a weird player to just decide you’re done with and not even try to trade him before the season ends. I don’t get it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
If Contreras wanted to come back and the Cubs didn't cough up 5/87.5 for him, Jed needs to be shot out of catapult into Lake Michigan.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ihatepants posted:

That's sad. I'm sorry Cubs posters. Always hate to see fan favorites go, and to a division rival makes it even worse.

It's definitely going to hurt to watch him mash dingers against us in a Cards uniform. That said I'll be much ameliorated if the Cubs actually make some bigger signings to try and replace his bat. But if our biggest FA splashes this year turn out to be Taillon and a one year bet on the corpse of Bellinger while also losing the 132 wRC+ bat of Contreras I cannot possibly fathom how this org could claim the offseason was a success.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If Contreras wanted to come back and the Cubs didn't cough up 5/87.5 for him, Jed needs to be shot out of catapult into Lake Michigan.
Yes and considering they just spent $68 million this morning on a pitcher, they have the money

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
When the ump union wins a grievance against robot umps, they'll implement robot catchers instead. checkmate cardinals

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kilometers Davis posted:

Honestly yeah I have no interest in talking poo poo about this to the Cubs outside of the org itself. I would be pretty pissed about it because it just doesn’t make sense. Unless the dude is truly awful in some way, contract wise, performance, attitude, whatever then just keep him? He fit well with that Cubs team and it seems like such a weird player to just decide you’re done with and not even try to trade him before the season ends. I don’t get it.

The only real knocks against him are defensive metrics hate him (although imo he looks much better than they say on the eye test, but as always this kind of thing is to taste) and that there's a perception that he's not a good game caller/pitcher manager. On both fronts I'm sure the Cardinals are probably thinking hey, even though he's retired we absolutely have Yadi on speed dial, could probably ask him to come in during the offseason/spring and mentor Contreras on these things. And honestly if he really is as bad a game caller as I've seen thrown around the league, it's on the Cubs for not taking that away from him and letting the dugout call pitches.

e. Oh and also I love Contreras to death, I really do, but he is the dumbest motherfucker on the basepaths in the entire sport. Just constantly tries to take ill-advised extra bases and gets hosed all the time, every time.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It seems like getting someone to league-average game caller should be possible; surely the analytics department can be like look, call his fast pitches in these situations and his breaking stuff in these others now go memorize that list

It's loving HARD to find good offensive catchers, they have to be really truly bad at the other stuff to balance that out and not make it worth signing them I'd think

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Jon Heyman go gently caress yourself

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

It seems like getting someone to league-average game caller should be possible; surely the analytics department can be like look, call his fast pitches in these situations and his breaking stuff in these others now go memorize that list

It's loving HARD to find good offensive catchers, they have to be really truly bad at the other stuff to balance that out and not make it worth signing them I'd think

Hence the need for a second DH

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

What's it like to have a catcher that is capable of producing offensively, anyway? Asking for a friend the entire history of the Astros franchise.

I mean, 100 games of Evan Gattis catching as a side-gig is about the best we've seen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jon Heyman go gently caress yourself

:same:

I crave CHAOS DEALS.

Contreras to the Cards is pretty funny, but I guess that means the Astros are still in the search for a second backstop. I doubt a Vazquez reunion will happen though since he seemed pretty unhappy not getting regular play.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

No Safe Word posted:

What's it like to have a catcher that is capable of producing offensively, anyway? Asking for a friend the entire history of the Astros franchise.

It's pretty great when you can pinch hit your switch hitting catcher to hit a walk off dinger to propel your team to their first postseason in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its the second largest contract by a catcher is it not? He was never getting the Realmuto deal.