Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs couldn't beat that? Incredibly lame.

I don't give a poo poo what some defensive metrics say or what some guy from the Indians who is completely obsessed with pitch framing wants (they lost a 3-1 series lead), Contreras is a good catcher with an elite bat at his position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

No Safe Word posted:

What's it like to have a catcher that is capable of producing offensively, anyway? Asking for a friend the entire history of the Astros franchise.

I mean, 100 games of Evan Gattis catching as a side-gig is about the best we've seen.

We had a hall of fame catcher!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

I don't give a poo poo what some defensive metrics say or what some guy from the Indians who is completely obsessed with pitch framing wants (they lost a 3-1 series lead), Contreras is a good catcher with an elite bat at his position.

Time to trade for Alejandro Kirk!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

It's pretty great when you can pinch hit your switch hitting catcher to hit a walk off dinger to propel your team to their first postseason in 20 years.

I had to look, but if I'm reading br.com right - Cal's 3.8 WAR was the highest from a catcher in team history. That's cool even if "Better than Dave Valle ever was" isn't that impressive.

Regardless - "Big Dumper" is a wonderful nickname and I love him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just popping in to say Contreras signing a long term deal with the Cardinals is extremely hilarious to me.

Being a Cubs fan must be quite the cursed experience.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tony Phillips posted:

I had to look, but if I'm reading br.com right - Cal's 3.8 WAR was the highest from a catcher in team history. That's cool even if "Better than Dave Valle ever was" isn't that impressive.

Regardless - "Big Dumper" is a wonderful nickname and I love him.

Was Dan the Man never that good?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Aaron Judge playing the Yankees for playing him is perfect.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I legitimately don't think they wanted to; there's been absolutely zero smoke around a potential reunion and I don't know if the Cubs ever even bothered engaging Contreras' camp. For whatever reason the org has been done with him for a while now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Willson got into a fistfight with Clark the cub

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ricketts family has quietly gotten rid of anyone who promoted vaccines in 2021.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Was Dan the Man never that good?

I actually missed that Dan also had a 3.8 in 1997.

Cal joined Zunino, Wilson, Valle and Stinson as Mariners catchers with over 3 WAR in a season. Only Wilson did it twice.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I only care about this signing in the sense that I’m glad Cubs fans are upset about it but I don’t give a poo poo otherwise

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1600522729987375106

lmao the angels

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I only care about this signing in the sense that I’m glad Cubs fans are upset about it but I don’t give a poo poo otherwise

he's really good at baseball and is fun to watch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1600556113111535618

lol

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ricketts family has quietly gotten rid of anyone who promoted vaccines in 2021.

Happ's still around at least.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants 2nd place for a superstar yet again. Welp.

Now that the one real superstar of this class is gone, I just hope that Farhan doesn't overreact by throwing too much money at Carlos Correa, who is not a $300 million player, IMO. Bogaerts is the only big time position player left who I want, but I think he's going back to the Sox.

Go get Rodon. Give him 6 years if that's what it takes. Sign Senga if you think he's legit, or Bassitt maybe? Basically, take the L on Judge and don't do anything stupid to compensate.

Looking forward to some Haniger dingers
https://twitter.com/BenKaspick/status/1600364919685513217

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Astros are also rumored to be after Sean Murphy so they're not out of the catcher hunt entirely

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1600572653508521984

Seems pretty good to me

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/1600569456844894208

lmao if both the Yankees and Red Sox end up caving out of embarrassment and giving their guy whatever they want.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Astros are also rumored to be after Sean Murphy so they're not out of the catcher hunt entirely

Seems pretty good to me

Man don't trade away Santa, what kind of monster are you

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The second tax level is around 250 mil, so the Yankees blew past that with Judge

Uncle Stevie baby and NL East supremacy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is the Harper deal or the Lindor extension more responsible for these endless $300m+ 10 year deals. Like I wonder if part of the problem Correa's having signing a deal is that everyone assumes his asking price will be ungodly money over an extraordinarily long time, since he's the best FA SS available, and hell if they're gonna give Trea Turner Bryce Harper money what does Carlos command

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kenley Jansen is still really good. Good signing for the Red Sox.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Seems like Boston and Xander got a deal done

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Let me know when Haniger hits his first splashdown.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Seems pretty good to me

With Verlander gone, need that SP depth with Garcia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giants 2nd place for a superstar yet again. Welp.

Now that the one real superstar of this class is gone, I just hope that Farhan doesn't overreact by throwing too much money at Carlos Correa, who is not a $300 million player, IMO. Bogaerts is the only big time position player left who I want, but I think he's going back to the Sox.

Go get Rodon. Give him 6 years if that's what it takes. Sign Senga if you think he's legit, or Bassitt maybe? Basically, take the L on Judge and don't do anything stupid to compensate.

Looking forward to some Haniger dingers
https://twitter.com/BenKaspick/status/1600364919685513217

As a fan of a team who traded for a dead pull righty in our short rear end porch stadium, lemme say that these things don't always translate.

Sab0921 posted:

With Verlander gone, need that SP depth with Garcia.

Lance, Framber, Urquidy, Javy, Brown.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Seems like Boston and Xander got a deal done

https://mobile.twitter.com/kikehndez/status/1600569274539442176

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Why the gently caress would you let Contreras walk to a rival for that loving cheap. Ugh.

Where is my calendar? Ah, only 102 more years

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
this reckless diaz deal by the athletic's is even more damning proof the league needs to take control of the club immediately

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

As a fan of a team who traded for a dead pull righty in our short rear end porch stadium, lemme say that these things don't always translate.

Lance, Framber, Urquidy, Javy, Brown.

That's 5 - the bare minimum - not depth. We also don't know if Javier or Brown can hold up over a season (or Lance for that matter).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

posted:

“The most important aspect of the 2022 season was that at the end of the season Gary was able to finally and completely shake off the emotional baggage he had acquired during his previous two seasons with the Yankees,” Marquez said. “Whoever gets Gary this offseason will benefit from the rebirth of the Kraken.”

Yeah sure, OK.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1600578023295623168

I will always hate that aggie junkballer. loving managers and their arm-on-arm bs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/mleif/status/1600479121288699906

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Seems pretty good to me

sending santa to oakland is definitely a coal in the stocking offense

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well he has a no trade clause and refused Philly

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Some Numbers posted:

It's pretty great when you can pinch hit your switch hitting catcher to hit a walk off dinger to propel your team to their first postseason in 20 years.

:hmmyes:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMidnight posted:

Man don't trade away Santa, what kind of monster are you

The Astros

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

lmao I thought Willson was asking for like $25 mil AAV and that's why the Cubs didn't sign him. Cubs should've easily been able to keep him at $18m.

At least the Cubs get a draft pick from the Cardinals for it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lmao I thought Willson was asking for like $25 mil AAV and that's why the Cubs didn't sign him. Cubs should've easily been able to keep him at $18m.

At least the Cubs get a draft pick from the Cardinals for it.

Can we also have small market draft compensation now too?

(nice new Av)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

R.D. Mangles posted:

he's really good at baseball and is fun to watch.

After the way our “stars” embarrassed themselves in the playoffs I’m gonna need the excitement of a jordan Walker call up to bring myself to care about the cardinals this season