Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

brugroffil posted:

Precast concrete walls at that specific site, but yeah. Before that it was just chain link. In the incident video, you can see rounds sparking off the fence as they shoot through. It activated their fence detection system which moved the camera over to record where the shots were striking, but the fiber cables were cut so no alarms were sent out. It was the power plant across the street that called in reports of gun shots.

The transformers themselves are like 2"thick steel. They shot the much thinner metal radiators which allowed thousands of gallons of coolant to leak out, causing the equipment failures. They also shot out control circuitry in an attempt to prevent safe shutdown and rerouting of power but thankfully didn't do enough..

e: standards were increased nationally, NERC CIP14 for perimeter and CIP5 for access control to bulk electric system facilities.
Most places only have perimeter walls about 8' tall if they have anything more than a fence, I see it as a "look, we're doing something" type thing mostly.

There were a lot of jokes going around about how we're going to build a wall around this station and Mexico is going to pay for it about 6yrs ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Having 50 state governments change their primary schedules seems like a gigantic loving mess doomed to failure, especially since the opposing party will control many of those states and will decline to act just to gently caress with you.

It seems easier to just have a sliding scale multiplier on delegate counts based on how early a state is, so Iowa for example can still go first but they’ll get say 50% or 10% of the delegates they’d get if they went last. That way whoever wants to go first can but you can still matter if you’re towards the end.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It seems easier to just have a sliding scale multiplier on delegate counts based on how early a state is, so Iowa for example can still go first but they’ll get say 50% or 10% of the delegates they’d get if they went last. That way whoever wants to go first can but you can still matter if you’re towards the end.
Just do them all on the same day and get rid of this nonsense. :D

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just do them all on the same day and get rid of this nonsense. :D

50 states are not going to agree to that, and if you’re say the Georgia GOP you’re going to purposefully block moving the primary so the Georgia Democrats get hosed.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It looks like a walkout is all but confirmed at NYT.

https://twitter.com/amandahess/status/1600547516059045890

The NYT does not seem interested in joining the Writers' Guild at the bargaining table.

https://twitter.com/NYTimesGuild/status/1599786857167958018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Having 50 state governments change their primary schedules seems like a gigantic loving mess doomed to failure, especially since the opposing party will control many of those states and will decline to act just to gently caress with you.

1) They technically aren't asking 50 to move around. It's 0 to a maximum of 5.

2) They already do use the sliding scale method. States that go later get more delegates.

Edit:

Lib and let die posted:

It looks like a walkout is all but confirmed at NYT.

https://twitter.com/amandahess/status/1600547516059045890

The NYT does not seem interested in joining the Writers' Guild at the bargaining table.

https://twitter.com/NYTimesGuild/status/1599786857167958018

Any posting of wordle scores or non-paywalled NYT articles tomorrow through 5 pm EST get 6ers for being a scab.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 7, 2022

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

SpeedFreek posted:

Most places only have perimeter walls about 8' tall if they have anything more than a fence, I see it as a "look, we're doing something" type thing mostly.

There were a lot of jokes going around about how we're going to build a wall around this station and Mexico is going to pay for it about 6yrs ago.

An 8’ concrete wall, maybe with barbed wire at the top, is pretty much as meaningfully protective as you can get before installing armed guards, automated turrets, or dogs+bees. At a certain point in security you’ll fend off punk teens hepped up on goofballs, drunk assholes, and people who briefly want to do a thing but are unprepared, and then there’s a big jump to stopping a determined attacker.

That wall and signage and cameras also do a good job of signaling that this is a “gently caress around and find out” location, but a determined attacker is presumably willing to “find out”.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Shooting Blanks posted:

Looks like Trump's lawyers aren't convinced that all classified materials have been turned over to the DoJ.

If you'll recall, one of Trump's lawyers (or not-lawyers? I can't remember offhand) certified that all classified materials had been turned over prior to the MaL search. This reads to me like it's the lawyers covering their own asses (and Trump's), but I could be wrong.

Just to be clear, that letter was very obviously worded in such a way that it wasn't actually saying anything of the sort. It essentially just said that this one person certifies that according to what they were told by others, they have no knowledge of any classified materials not being handed over.

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/10/trump-lawyer-christina-bobb-mar-a-lago-certify-documents

"Bobb signed the certification as the “custodian of records” at the direction of another Trump lawyer, Evam Corcoran, only after adding caveats to make the declaration less ironclad since she had not conducted the search herself, according to three sources familiar with the matter."

"But unsure as to whether the subpoena had been fully complied with, Bobb told Corcoran to amend the certification to say that “based upon the information that has been provided to me” all documents responsive to the subpoena were being returned after a “diligent” search, the sources said."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

Looks like Trump's lawyers aren't convinced that all classified materials have been turned over to the DoJ.

If you'll recall, one of Trump's lawyers (or not-lawyers? I can't remember offhand) certified that all classified materials had been turned over prior to the MaL search. This reads to me like it's the lawyers covering their own asses (and Trump's), but I could be wrong.

Looks like Trump's lawyers were correct. He had even more classified documents in storage that were moved out of Mar-a-Lago before the raid.

https://twitter.com/PostRoz/status/1600553204642590720

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Capone hosed up because he had the brain a child because syphisis.

An important point: Capone was an utter moron prior to syphilis rotting his brain. That's why he never got his syphilis examined or treated.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

50 states are not going to agree to that, and if you’re say the Georgia GOP you’re going to purposefully block moving the primary so the Georgia Democrats get hosed.

Don't the parties decide when and how their primaries are held?

Parties in those states may rebel against the new schedule but there is a response to that. In the worst case scenario that could screw up elections or fracture the party.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cranappleberry posted:

Don't the parties decide when and how their primaries are held?

Parties in those states may rebel against the new schedule but there is a response to that. In the worst case scenario that could screw up elections or fracture the party.

Some states have state laws about who sets the primary dates/when the primary must be held. Georgia requires the Secretary of State and legislature to change it. New Hampshire has a law requiring the Secretary of State to schedule the state's primary before any other primary.

Some states just say it is up to the parties.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some states have state laws about who sets the primary dates/when the primary must be held. Georgia requires the Secretary of State and legislature to change it. New Hampshire has a law requiring the Secretary of State to schedule the state's primary before any other primary.

Gotcha. Thank you!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Looks like Trump's lawyers were correct. He had even more classified documents in storage that were moved out of Mar-a-Lago before the raid.

Oops. Just storing classified government secrets at extra space storage next to my wrestling belts and prop swords.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Just like Kushner and his 38 revisions to his security clearance applications, this will somehow not make things worse for Trump.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

More broadly, that's the difference between caucuses and primaries. Caucuses are actually run by the party and are the successor to the old system where party insiders picked candidates with little public input. Primaries are run by the state, even if the party decides date and eligibility.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PeterWeller posted:

An important point: Capone was an utter moron prior to syphilis rotting his brain. That's why he never got his syphilis examined or treated.

yeah, he was a very talented thug and a scary bruiser who got lucky and fell upward to an extent. after he went to jail, the crime family just went back to what they were doing but quieter and no one cared anymore.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

1) They technically aren't asking 50 to move around. It's 0 to a maximum of 5.

2) They already do use the sliding scale method. States that go later get more delegates.

Edit:

Any posting of wordle scores or non-paywalled NYT articles tomorrow through 5 pm EST get 6ers for being a scab.

Ugh just went to cancel my NYT games account and I have to loving call in? What kind of hell is this?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

funkymonks posted:

Ugh just went to cancel my NYT games account and I have to loving call in? What kind of hell is this?

Not sure if this works for games, but if you’re on iOS and you buy your subscription through the app, you can cancel immediately from your phone settings instead of waiting on their call center.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
mah god, they got a strike needle

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

So does this make things better or worse for Trump? On one hand, he had more classified documents stashed away than just the ones that were retrieved by the FBI at Mar A Lago. On the other hand, it seems like Trump's lawyers went out of their way to make sure the FBI got these other documents back by conducting their own search. So that likes a level of cooperation after so much noncooperation that led to the Mar A Lago search. I can't figure out if this will make it harder for the DOJ to charge Trump if all of a sudden he's starting to cooperate.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PeterWeller posted:

If I remember right there weren't really effective treatments for syphilis at that point; when he got to jail they tried curing it by intentionally infecting him with malaria in the hopes that the subsequent fever would be hot and long enough to kill it off, for instance.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Charliegrs posted:

So does this make things better or worse for Trump? On one hand, he had more classified documents stashed away than just the ones that were retrieved by the FBI at Mar A Lago. On the other hand, it seems like Trump's lawyers went out of their way to make sure the FBI got these other documents back by conducting their own search. So that likes a level of cooperation after so much noncooperation that led to the Mar A Lago search. I can't figure out if this will make it harder for the DOJ to charge Trump if all of a sudden he's starting to cooperate.

I reckon it depends on the judge and whether or not Trump's lawyers are any good at the Persuasion check to see if that positive spin works or not.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

This is the sort of stuff all the spy movies would make you believe the government would straight up murk someone for even considering.

More realistically, it's absurd that Trump is allowed to be a free man with this level of glaring national security risk painted in flashing neon over ever property he personally uses. That and, you know, the whole coup thing.

Take a tip from Germany today and just jail the facist orange already.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Orthanc6 posted:

This is the sort of stuff all the spy movies would make you believe the government would straight up murk someone for even considering.

More realistically, it's absurd that Trump is allowed to be a free man with this level of glaring national security risk painted in flashing neon over ever property he personally uses. That and, you know, the whole coup thing.

Take a tip from Germany today and just jail the facist orange already.

More than likely, Trump will have to do a more... pedestrian crime like straight up murder in order to actually face any jail time.
Sending him to jail for the stuff he's doing now would set precedent for arresting other politicians who do poo poo that's at least within the same ballpark, and no one wants to be the one to pull the trigger on that.

At most, we might get another impeachment just to show how very serious the Dems are about condemning the bad orange man and his lack of decorum, but nobody in any position of power wants him to actually do jail time because it opens the door for them to face jail for the poo poo they do, just less incompetently.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I doubt it makes much difference. Cooperating with a subpoena is better than not cooperating with a subpoena, but it's not a good sign when a judge tells your lawyers that they'd better go double-check and make sure you've actually fully complied with the subpoena. There's already enough evidence to charge Trump, but I doubt the DoJ are in any rush to do so as long as they keep finding more evidence. They can't just tack on more charges if they find even more crimes halfway through the trial, after all - they'll want to get as much as they can before they start.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Charliegrs posted:

the lawyers were ordered to do this by the judge

it does not help trump one bit; however it helps the lawyers not get charged themselves (which is why they actually found the documents, instead of trying to certify there were no more based on "well we asked trump, what more do you want us to do" like last time)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Isn't there kind of a big problem with just having lawyers go search and retrieve classified documents? Like I really doubt they have the proper clearances to look at the documents, and what's to stop them from looking at them? That's what I don't get about a judge ordering the lawyers to get them. It sounds like something you would send the FBI to do.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Isn't there kind of a big problem with just having lawyers go search and retrieve classified documents? Like I really doubt they have the proper clearances to look at the documents, and what's to stop them from looking at them? That's what I don't get about a judge ordering the lawyers to get them. It sounds like something you would send the FBI to do.

Yes it's a huge problem for random people to be sent searching for classified documents. If this were a normal person they'd just raid all properties simultaneously and take literally everything in all of the properties. They clearly bent over backwards to avoid having to start a criminal investigation on a former President, but Trump is so loving stupid that he gave them no other choice.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Chelsea manning famously did time in solitary for like, a fraction of the level of poo poo that Trump had.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jaxyon posted:

Chelsea manning famously did time in solitary for like, a fraction of the level of poo poo that Trump had.

Yeah, but Chelsea Manning was never president.
That's the entire hangup, nobody wants to be the one who says "Oh yeah, ex-presidents can actually go to jail for crimes."
That's why Trump keeps managing to Mr. Magoo his way through all of this and why it keeps getting dragged out.
Yeah, you can argue that it's just them trying to get every single duck in a row so that the case is completely airtight and they don't have another "Ah well, nevertheless..." moment, but it's all just to make sure that they split the hair as finely as possible and do their damnedest to make sure that this is some very specific situation that very specifically only applies to Trump and the specific ways he did or did not do things.

If they have to establish precedent, they want it to be as narrow a window as possible.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

People make jokes about South Korean presidents going to jail, but I think it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's obviously a good thing isn't it?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

the_steve posted:

That's the entire hangup, nobody wants to be the one who says "Oh yeah, ex-presidents can actually go to jail for crimes."
That's why Trump keeps managing to Mr. Magoo his way through all of this and why it keeps getting dragged out.
Yeah, you can argue that it's just them trying to get every single duck in a row so that the case is completely airtight and they don't have another "Ah well, nevertheless..." moment, but it's all just to make sure that they split the hair as finely as possible and do their damnedest to make sure that this is some very specific situation that very specifically only applies to Trump and the specific ways he did or did not do things.

If they have to establish precedent, they want it to be as narrow a window as possible.

That's what's extra stupid about all of this. Sure I get it, actually reigning in the power of the political class is very unpopular and risky among said political class. But the dude tried to overthrow the government while still sitting as the leader of it. Literally the most dangerous thing one can do in any country. Which included directly threatening the lives of the entire political class. If they can't pull the legal trigger on Trump they're setting themselves up for a historic Darwin award. They were extremely lucky to have dodged the first bullet.

I'd love to be wrong but I'm pretty convinced if Trump is not jailed before 2024 it will be a literal coin flip whether the US gets to remain a democracy past 2025.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

the_steve posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm making fun of how clear it is that there are two different treatments

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Orthanc6 posted:

On the other hand, I've been hearing a lot of talk about some mysterious laptop with a big "property of Hunter Biden" label on it that's gonna get us all killed.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Even if Trump is convicted of a crime that requires jail time, I can’t imagine a world when a former President goes to jail. I’m sure they’d put him in some sort of house arrest.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I work for and talk with wealthy liberal folks who are perennially expectant of Trump facing justice, down to any "lets see him wiggle his way out of this one" take we could manage. It's really out there, and the difference between older/middle aged people who "did everything right" is whether they're wealthy and comfortable or struggling.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

The fact that they were able to raise the cash infusion tells us that they believe they're still going to be able to, among other things, get kids.

The company they were spunoff from is entering the US market next year and the contract on the devices (and possibly brands) will expire then. It seems a good time to get in on Juul with expectation of continued core business profitability with potential buyout/remerger upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Presumably, the outside team they hired to go find the documents has as many of the correct clearances as it's reasonably possible to have.

Jaxyon posted:

Chelsea Manning was an active-duty soldier and subject to military law. Also, she contacted a total stranger completely unprompted to tell him all about what she did, which how she was caught after totally getting away with it for months.

Those are just two of the many, many differences between the Trump case and the Manning case.