Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/1600555906420203521 https://twitter.com/MediocreDave/status/1600558501197144066

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rip in pieces to britaine's olds this winter facing the ol yellow peril with that blitz spirit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Isn’t -10c like 15 degrees?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gripweed posted:

You'll have to ask someone who is very old but also knows centigrade

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what da gently caress is the ministry of levelling up

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

The first gamer prime minister

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

lobster shirt posted:

It's the person in charge of cutting services but only for poor people

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Gripweed posted:

no it’s -10 celsius?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

You'll have to ask someone who is very old but also knows centigrade

I'm moderately old, and yes (it's 14f)

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all, I remember there being a deluge of articles last Christmas about how Scrooge from a Christmas Carol is not that bad when you think about it. Like, dozens of them from the British press. Does anyone remember any/have any links? I am working on something and want to compile them. A phrase that sticks out in my head is somehing like "the frankly mediocre bob cratchit"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

"the frankly mediocre bob cratchit"

fantastic thread title

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all, I remember there being a deluge of articles last Christmas about how Scrooge from a Christmas Carol is not that bad when you think about it. Like, dozens of them from the British press. Does anyone remember any/have any links? I am working on something and want to compile them. A phrase that sticks out in my head is somehing like "the frankly mediocre bob cratchit"

Googling "in defense of Scrooge" turned up this from the WSJ

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gripweed posted:

british homes are on average the worst insulated in all of Western Europe, possibly all of Europe, and they have a ton of houses that are actually castle-style bad at keeping the heat in. a lot of them are worse insulated than in the tropical parts of florida, and not even by a little bit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A Buttery Pastry posted:

british homes are on average the worst insulated in all of Western Europe, possibly all of Europe, and they have a ton of houses that are actually castle-style bad at keeping the heat in. a lot of them are worse insulated than in the tropical parts of florida, and not even by a little bit.

And the ones that are insulated go on fire, Rule Britannia

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm not eligible for the warm home discount this year because they're factoring in the EPC report for your address. Mine expired 2 years ago and includes gems like "cavity wall insulation (assumed)"

My windows are so warped they don't even close

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

this is true. the halls of a British university in December was the coldest I’ve ever felt, and I’ve camped when it was snowing.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Calico Heart posted:

Scrooge's Wisdom in Modern Britain, The Economist

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sounds like they should have insulated britain

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tarnop posted:

I'm moderately old, and yes (it's 14f)

That’s not that cold for winter as far as north as you guys are. How is that temperature a surprise to you guys?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Gripweed posted:

That’s not that cold for winter as far as north as you guys are. How is that temperature a surprise to you guys?

this is a very stupid country

also warmer than it should be for how far north we are until the climate gets hosed just a wee bit more

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gripweed posted:

Our northerly latitude is offset by the gulf stream which gives us pretty temperate conditions compared to similarly Northern countries. The shitheads who built all the cheap buy-to-let hovels that are the only available housing for most of us decided to reap the benefits of that and skip the insulation

e:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

this is a very stupid country

also warmer than it should be for how far north we are until the climate gets hosed just a wee bit more

yeah if climate change disrupts the gulf stream we'll have weather close to that of Norway but with housing stock that's grossly unsuited to it (and all the people who took direct action to bring attention to that are in/going to prison)

Tarnop has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Dec 7, 2022

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Becuase -10c hits way different when you live in a house with no insulation and no way to heat it due to gas shortages? Plus, it's the currents in the Atlantic that largely dictate the temperatures in the UK, not it's latitude. Since the current brings warm water up from the tropics, the UK is warmer that what you would anticipate for a country that far north.

edit: balls, I was beaten

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Fun to remember those protesters who said we should insultate the houses better, were they listened to? No, the bogpeople of poo poo island tried to run them over and then sent them to prison lol

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

How does someone become an adult who knows of the existence of the UK without learning that it's the island that has exactly one weather (mild drizzle)?

We have dolphins here! The idiot whales keep getting stuck in the Thames flood defences! You cannot understand the UK without knowing that it shares a climate with purgatory and that any temperatures outside 0-20c will instantly kill large amounts of the population

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

"warm California day" = largest recorded fire in UK history, thousands dead of heatstroke and attempted swimming, UK posters covering their houses in tinfoil looking like the inside of a grow op

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kyojin posted:

Fun to remember those protesters who said we should insultate the houses better, were they listened to? No, the bogpeople of poo poo island tried to run them over and then sent them to prison lol

British people loving hate anyone who wants to make their lives at all better.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gripweed posted:

It only really gets that cold on the hills. The fact we're an island so that moderates the temperature somewhat, plus the gulf stream brings that lovely warm water up from from the Carribean.

Britain is mild, grey and damp, all year long. Where I live is further north than Moscow & close to the latitude of Juneau but even in the coldest month of the year the daily average low is 0°C. And the English are even less prepared to handle the cold than the Scots lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
insulate buildings? what do you want, another Grenfell, do ya?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spangly A posted:

"warm California day" = largest recorded fire in UK history, thousands dead of heatstroke and attempted swimming, UK posters covering their houses in tinfoil looking like the inside of a grow op

*laughs in american AC*

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Living in a Midwestern US town that's frozen for four months out of the year I can tell you that 15F is pretty poo poo if you're in a poorly insulated crackerbox house and can't afford to heat it.

Bit surprised that the UK hasn't discovered cheap sprayfoam insulation yet, but I guess they didn't prioritize unlocking it on the tech tree.

Ummm... only advice I've got in that case is to dress in layers or start blowing the doors off of some uggo with a good enough job to keep the gas bill paid.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I remain unconvinced Britain is real because there’s no way these people managed to rule a third of the globe.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

weak men create bad trade deals, bad trade deals create strong navies,

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

capitalism is a depressingly strong bad idea

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

samcarsten posted:

I remain unconvinced Britain is real because there’s no way these people managed to rule a third of the globe.

Nobody ever claimed we did it well

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

*laughs in american AC*

ugh god humid summer nights in Bristol with only a hastily bought oscillating fan on a stand

the most awful nights

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

samcarsten posted:

these people managed to rule clumsily mug a third of the globe.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Everything england ever did was from the inertia of roman occupation

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

There's was nothing clumsy about the conquest of India

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

samcarsten posted:

It is incredibly embarrassing for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Is it? Britain had a massive navy, a headstart on industrialisation and an elite education system that turned out dead-eyed psychopaths who went straight into imperial administration. That makes it even funnier that we now have 1.5 aircraft carriers, the only thing still produced here is child molesters, and we have an elite education system that turns out dead-eyed psychopaths who go straight into banking