Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Since the Judge thing is over, now I'm excited to see where Carlos Correa ends up. I hope its the Dodgers for max fan internal dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

So is the Harper deal or the Lindor extension more responsible for these endless $300m+ 10 year deals. Like I wonder if part of the problem Correa's having signing a deal is that everyone assumes his asking price will be ungodly money over an extraordinarily long time, since he's the best FA SS available, and hell if they're gonna give Trea Turner Bryce Harper money what does Carlos command

Its more the CBT if anything. Guys still want the same total dollars for their big contract but teams are maxed out on AAV to avoid the tax so you get these mega long deals.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Its more the CBT if anything. Guys still want the same total dollars for their big contract but teams are maxed out on AAV to avoid the tax so you get these mega long deals.

Yeah it's absolutely this, teams are incentivized to hand out longer term deals to push the AAV down because of how the CBT works.

Where does the money collected from teams over the CBT go to? Presumably it's not just directly back to the owners or that would defeat the point of the tax.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It goes to Bob Nutting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rosenthal Rumors

quote:

The Dodgers are not pursuing shortstop Carlos Correa in part out of concern that a sizable portion of their fan base would not welcome the move. Correa was the most outspoken member of the 2017 Astros club that stole signs illegally during the postseason, and beat the Dodgers in a seven-game World Series.

The distaste Dodgers fans harbor for Correa, is not the only reason the club is reluctant to engage with him — or for that matter, any of the other more expensive players on the free-agent market.

As the Dodgers wait to learn whether Major League Baseball will uphold Trevor Bauer’s two-year suspension for violating the league’s policy on sexual assault and domestic violence, club officials are uncertain how much back pay, if any, they will owe the pitcher.

Bauer stands to lose $60 million in salary. If his suspension is upheld, the Dodgers will not owe him anything. But if the suspension is overturned or reduced, the Dodgers as a third-time luxury-tax offender would be assessed penalties on top of his salary. As noted by the Los Angeles Times, the team’s total payout could exceed $100 million.

• So, where might Correa land? The Twins still want him. The Giants are perhaps the most obvious fit now that they have lost Aaron Judge to the Yankees. But with Xander Bogaerts reportedly close to returning to the Red Sox, the Padres cannot be dismissed.

quote:

The idea of the Cubs adding both Bogaerts and Dansby Swanson was always far-fetched. The addition of two prominent infielders worked for the Rangers last offseason in part because both Corey Seager and Marcus Semien were Scott Boras clients. But with Bogaerts represented by Boras and Swanson by Excel — two different agencies — it was much more difficult to coordinate two such signings.

The Cubs view Swanson as perhaps their most realistic target at shortstop, assuming they don’t go big for Correa.

quote:

The Cardinals’ agreement with Willson Contreras on a five-year, $87.5 million contract might accelerate the market for free-agent catchers, which also includes Christian Vázquez, Mike Zunino and Tucker Barnhart.

The market has moved slowly in part because the A’s are entertaining trade offers for Sean Murphy and the Blue Jays are willing to move one of Danny Jansen, Alejandro Kirk and Gabriel Moreno.

Teams will examine Zunino carefully as he continues his recovery from thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on July 28. The Red Sox, Pirates, Royals, Twins, Guardians and Astros are among the teams with varying levels of interest in catchers.

And finally, the Astros continue to look at free agents Andrew Benintendi, Michael Brantley and Michael Conforto as options for their outfield. After losing out on Contreras, they might even explore signing two of the three.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

I legitimately don't think they wanted to; there's been absolutely zero smoke around a potential reunion and I don't know if the Cubs ever even bothered engaging Contreras' camp. For whatever reason the org has been done with him for a while now.

We'll find out in the coming weeks. If they don't sign any big names, it's completely about the money and them wanting to commit to the small market rebuild. If they bring in Correa, I'll assume they thought they money could be better spent elsewhere.

I really don't know what to think of the whole situation. If they didn't like him for whatever reason, why didn't they trade him a year or two ago? Jed has been pretty bad so it could just be them misreading the market yet again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers saving their nut for Ohtani next winter only to see him traded elsewhere and extended over the summer

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

I really don't know what to think of the whole situation. If they didn't like him for whatever reason, why didn't they trade him a year or two ago? Jed has been pretty bad so it could just be them misreading the market yet again.

They had a trade worked out in principle with the Astros at the deadline that was nixed at the 11th hour by Dusty and ownership, and the only other interested team in the Mets wasn't willing to ship prospects the FO thought were equivalent or better than a compensatory pick from the QO. There was absolutely a push to trade Contreras.

The Cubs have supposedly undergone a fairly significant philosophical shift at the catcher position, valuing run prevention over offense. This is presumably why they're still enamored with Amaya even though he can't stay healthy for five minutes and has never really hit at all in the minors except an extremely small sample this year after coming back from TJS. He's considered an extremely good defensive catcher and game caller, and it seems like the plan is still for him at some point to come up and become the new franchise catcher. Now personally I think this is an extremely stupid reason to yeet your fan-favorite franchise catcher who just put up a 134 wRC+, but unfortunately the Cubs keep rejecting my applications to become special assistant to Jed so I don't get a say.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ohtani is going to get 45x10 next offseason and that deal will be at least as bad as that Judge deal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

They had a trade worked out in principle with the Astros at the deadline that was nixed at the 11th hour by Dusty and ownership, and the only other interested team in the Mets wasn't willing to ship prospects the FO thought were equivalent or better than a compensatory pick from the QO. There was absolutely a push to trade Contreras.

The Cubs have supposedly undergone a fairly significant philosophical shift at the catcher position, valuing run prevention over offense. This is presumably why they're still enamored with Amaya even though he can't stay healthy for five minutes and has never really hit at all in the minors except an extremely small sample this year after coming back from TJS. He's considered an extremely good defensive catcher and game caller, and it seems like the plan is still for him at some point to come up and become the new franchise catcher. Now personally I think this is an extremely stupid reason to yeet your fan-favorite franchise catcher who just put up a 134 wRC+, but unfortunately the Cubs keep rejecting my applications to become special assistant to Jed so I don't get a say.

Seems like moving a catcher at the deadline is much harder than in the offseason. Dusty spoke about how he wouldn't have played much and how it is tough to get a new catcher familiar with the staff. The lack of offers is telling.

These seem like things a GM should know.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

MrMidnight posted:

Man don't trade away Santa, what kind of monster are you

You should get more than that. Santa is extremely valuable this time of year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Rays certainly have a type. Hope this guy makes it to the big leagues.

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Resnick/status/1600579113714073632

https://twitter.com/mikemayer22/status/1562455425521713152

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why would you trade a pitcher to the Rays? Dumb.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
This is one of the funniest quotes I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1600568383363117056

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pungry posted:

If you were Brian Cashman would you love anyone in your life more than Hal Steinbrenner?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

zoux posted:

Astros are also rumored to be after Sean Murphy so they're not out of the catcher hunt entirely

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1600572653508521984

Seems pretty good to me

Aside from the bad karma of trading Santa right before Christmas, I'm morally opposed to sending any baseball player to Oakland in its current state. Nobody deserves that. Trade seems fair objectively, but it's as likely to hurt as help. Murphy is a big upgrade for the lineup, but without Garcia, the rotation couldn't withstand a single injury, and our #2 is Lance McCullers Jr. If he could stay healthy into November, yeah that's a nice boost for the offense, but if he misses 2-3 months like normal, you lose more in pitching than one bat can cover.

I'm more surprised the Astros wouldn't do better than 17.5 mil a year for Contreras. Absolute steal for the Cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's even crazier to me that Contreras only got $87 mil when the next best catcher on the market is a grab bag of guys like Vazquez, Zunino, and Barnhart

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Now that Judge is signed my secret hope for the Hot Stove is that Correa waits too long, everyone takes one of the other SS options, and then he signs another 1 year opt out deal with someone.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Now that Judge is signed my secret hope for the Hot Stove is that Correa waits too long, everyone takes one of the other SS options, and then he signs another 1 year opt out deal with someone.

I hope no one signs him and he ends up having to retire.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

15 years with the Twins , all on three year deals with options that he exercises every season

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Because MLB is great at planning these things the Rule 5 draft is ongoing right now, MLBTR is running a tracker here: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/2022-rule-5-draft-results.html

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Correa as the league’s most expensive annual rental would be extremely funny

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

Because MLB is great at planning these things the Rule 5 draft is ongoing right now, MLBTR is running a tracker here: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/2022-rule-5-draft-results.html
I'm not sure why the Phillies took a guy from the Red Sox who has pitched a total of 7 games of pro ball because he's currently in the military

Why would you waste a roster spot on him?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I am now dead inside.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pungry posted:

Pretty sure Mariano Rivera is the Mariano Rivera of closing.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
:lmao: The Cubs aren’t going to do jack poo poo. And they’re bringing the Cubs Convention back. Cody Bellinger is going to have trash thrown at him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Correa as the league’s most expensive annual rental would be extremely funny

Eh that only works for a couple years before suddenly he's 30. He really needs to sign something long term while he's 28

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

All Hal did was say "Yes". What a closer. Cashman kissing the rear end big time like mcmagic said.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

:lmao: The Cubs aren’t going to do jack poo poo. And they’re bringing the Cubs Convention back. Cody Bellinger is going to have trash thrown at him.

They're going to sign Dansby to OPS+ 98 for 6 years or whatever.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Speaking of, would he have been a good addition for talking about the history of baseball? It was interesting reading top 10 baseball history dudes until the DEALS started happening. When I think of bullpen superstar, I just think of Mariano Rivera. Others but he's always the first one I think of. Maybe it's just because modern bullpen guys throw so hard they typically burn out faster.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

R.D. Mangles posted:

They're going to sign Dansby to OPS+ 98 for 6 years or whatever.

:negative: Probably true. God, I hate this team and how quickly and completely they squandered all good will.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If you are making a trade with Tampa, which should already make you question things, and they ask you for a pitcher you might want to think about it again

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

They're going to sign Dansby to flash his winning smile and championship experience for 6 years or whatever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Josh Reddick is a big mad loser, complaining about Bellinger here I think?

https://twitter.com/RealJoshReddick/status/1600468970662166531

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

This dude sucked lol

He did good with the stolen signs and then fell off a loving cliff

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Josh Redass

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

"waaaaaah why didn't anyone pay me as much as the guy who won an MVP at age 24???"
-guy who's career earnings exceed $66M

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My favorite thing about Reddick was when he’d post on instagram all the Big Wheels and remote control toys and poo poo he was buying for his not-yet-born kid and people in the comments would be like “hey you know babies can’t use this poo poo, right josh?”

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Remember when Josh Reddick won an MVP? Oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Remember when Reddick was assuring everyone Cole was going to the Angels