Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cerebulon posted:

You don't get wagons immediately now, because you're supposed to be too insignificant to warrant it. They start showing up with caravans around when you're recognised as an actual settlement and elect a mayor iirc.

Really? I got the usual pre winter caravan in my current Fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Getting rid of the shortcuts has broken my brain. Everything's taking twice as long to do. The mouse implementation is nice but is there some way to have that and the old shortcuts??

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arrath posted:

Really? I got the usual pre winter caravan in my current Fort.
You get traders but not a big load. They have a lot less poo poo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

titty_baby_ posted:

Getting rid of the shortcuts has broken my brain. Everything's taking twice as long to do. The mouse implementation is nice but is there some way to have that and the old shortcuts??

It's weird it's the opposite for me, everything feels so fast now. I only played for 1.5hr because I ran out of things I remembered how to do, which was a surprising amount given that I last played in 2007/pre z levels.

Things I remembered to do
- Designate stockpiles
- Juggle/assign miner/cutter/fisher/haulers
- Assign bookkeeper, manager, designate office for same
- Make wood/stone/mech shops, build beds/blocks/mech
- Site a well
- Designate bedrooms, place beds
- Make fishery/kitchen, make crap meals for training

I'm amazed no one's tantrumed but I haven't seen migrants or caravan yet. In looking at the list above it's really not that much but I guess involves a bunch concepts total newbies wouldn't be exposed to like zoning, labour management, room planning, construction placement, etc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They've posted an update on post launch plans and an FAQ here

quote:

Post-Launch FAQ and Next Steps 🎉Dwarf Fortress Update News
Thank you for an incredible launch!

Hey folks!

We had a big day yesterday huh? Apparently Dwarf Fortress is still the #1 top seller on Steam? Thanks for all the support and love and, uh, purchases!

Crashing Much?

First, if you’re crashing, please know that the main cause appears to be widescreen monitors or other non-standard resolutions. We’re working on a solution but for now, the safest/best course of action is to use a 1920x1080 monitor or change your settings in the game to force that resolution in Windowed mode. For more info, see the FAQ below.

What’s Next?

And for those of you who have been waiting for ages for the Classic mode, we’re also working towards that, hopefully coming to you in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed.

Alexandra will be continuing her tutorial newbie fort tomorrow at 1pm EST on the Kitfox Twitch channel, so tune in to learn and chat with other fans. Be nice.

We’ve also prepared an FAQ
at the bottom. Read it for extra info and details!

Regional Pricing Changes

But as of this post, we’ve also decided to change our regional pricing guidelines. $30 USD is absolutely a fair price, and for most regions we’ll be sticking to the Steam recommendations, but it’s been brought to our attention that as of October, some countries who were hit hard by inflation got caught in a bit of the international crossfire and had their indie game prices shoot up 500%, which probably feels harsh for folks just trying to live their lives.

Tarn and Zach and Tanya chatted and we decided the best path was to change all countries prices who had at least doubled in October, and instead going for the middle between the old and new prices.

So! The following regions are in the midst of the prices being re-re-adjusted:

Russia: 810 ₽ instead of 1100 ₽

Turkey: ₺165,00 instead of ₺280,00

Argentina: ARS$1215 instead of ARS$2100

And if you find piratey ways to take advantage of this little gesture, then we can’t stop you, but shame on you.

Thanks!
Tanya, Alexandra, Tarn, and Zach

P.S.

All our other Kitfox games are ALSO on sale this week! Boyfriend Dungeon, Pupperazzi, Six Ages, Shrouded Isle, and more, all on discount for folks who might be indie-curious. You can even pick up ALL the other Kitfox games for only ~$50 if you buy ‘em in our bundle! They might not be as famous, but those little gems were how we were able to fund Dwarf Fortress for Steam in the first place. :)

FAQ

Q: Is there widescreen support? How do I adjust my resolution?

A: Dwarf Fortress supports widescreen resolutions but you may need to adjust your screen settings so everything lines up. Steam user matt explains:

“My resolution was set to 1440p prior (2560x1440) and Scale to Yes: Settings > Video > Set resolution to 1080p (1920x1080)

Set "Scale interface to fit grid height/width" to No

Restart the game. After making those changes, I am able to assign workers at workshops as expected. I suspect the crash is likely caused by out of bounds UI elements at higher resolutions when scale interface is enabled.”

Q: When is the game going on sale?

Not soon! And not for very much discount! Bay 12 and Kitfox are going to keep working on this for ~30 years, so it doesn’t make sense to follow normal Steam discounting. For example, we might discount 10% in a couple of months, but we also might not! We certainly won’t be discounting for more than 15% for at least two years!

Q: Will there be more streams?

Yes! We will be streaming tomorrow at 1pm EST on the Kitfox Twitch channel where Alexandra will be continuing her beginner fort. In the future we hope to do more special event streams and collaborations with other Dwarf Fortress streamers. We are especially interested in supporting charity events.

Q: When will there be Mac/ Linux support?

Sometime in 2023! We’ve already contacted a trusted programmer who will be looking into it, while Tarn works towards our other roadmap items. Wish us luck!

Q: Will there be adventure mode? Classic mode? Arena?

Yep, yep, and yep, but in the order of: Classic (quite soon), Arena (soonish), and then (much further away because it has a lot more left to do) Adventure. When Classic’s done, it will also be available as a stand-alone, free download, on the Bay 12 website.

Q: Can I play with just the keyboard?

No, currently in the Steam premium version you need a mouse to do many of the actions. We’re investigating alternatives for folks who are mouse-hampered but maybe a modder will beat us to it.

Q: Will the game be coming to mobile? Switch? Gamepass, Cloud gaming, GOG?

You can also buy the game on itch if you like! And we’re investigating GeForce Now with nVidia. But we have no other platforms to discuss right now.

Q: Will the game be localized/translated to my language?

No, sorry, it is extremely unfeasible due to the way the code handles language throughout the game. Our best suggestion at this time is to use auto-translation tools for text on screen, which has been helping some users.

Q: What mods are allowed?

The game is currently set up best to support graphical changes — sprite swaps, basically. More options will probably become available as we go. But please know that we WILL ban or delist your mod if it contains hateful or dehumanizing content.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just got attacked by a bunch of goblins and kobolds, and a dwarf died... and fell into a pond, meaning his body will never be recovered, but I can see the corpse from within my fortress. It's very morbid.

Just checked the tomb, though, and they appear to have put the dwarf's right hand in the coffin. Guess it got severed somehow.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh wow, just noticed you can geld your male cats and dogs at the butcher shop if you want to keep that population down.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cholfo posted:

Define a meeting area zone, then click the icon that looks like a hanging sign with a + on it. This lets you define a zone as belonging to a location, in your case a new Temple. You can then add other zones to that location by clicking that same button and choosing your existing temple's icon. You also get to the location-specific stocks from this menu, so things like however many gypsum plaster bags your hospital wants or what performers are dancing at your temples and such.

It turns out I missed the bit where you have to get the value of the room up!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
A previous title of this very thread referenced the catsplosion that happens if you don't geld your cats. They breed fast! And you need a few at least to keep the vermin down.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do you need food to feed animals?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arist posted:

I just got attacked by a bunch of goblins and kobolds, and a dwarf died... and fell into a pond, meaning his body will never be recovered, but I can see the corpse from within my fortress. It's very morbid.

Just checked the tomb, though, and they appear to have put the dwarf's right hand in the coffin. Guess it got severed somehow.

"Ehhh close enough"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Popete posted:

Do you need food to feed animals?

only grazers and only ones that "belong" to your fortress, e.g. domesticated or tamed ones

carnivorous, wild, and enemy civ animals ignore hunger entirely

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

A previous title of this very thread referenced the catsplosion that happens if you don't geld your cats. They breed fast! And you need a few at least to keep the vermin down.

Don't geld your cats! Suffer the FPS drop!

It is the way.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Catsplosion posted:

Don't geld your cats! Suffer the FPS drop!

It is the way.

Post/username on point.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Velocity Raptor posted:

Set up a stockpile inside and when choosing what kind of stockpile it is, first click "All" but then click on Custom and remove Stone and Wood from it. Dorfs should then start moving stuff away from the wagon.

Thank you. Several pages behind but this is super helpful.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arrath posted:

My first brush with hostilities!!! A meandering wereskink appears, oh crap!

I hastily fumble through the squad interface to set up a soldier, assigning a newly arrived peasant who is a competent hammer dwarf to don the bits of steel armor I've made and have sitting around, and station them at the gate where the skink is heading right for a dwarven child.

That child doesn't make it, unfortunately. A miner comes across the situation and beats the holy hell out of the skink with his pick, killing it. Taking a few hits in the process, as does another child who was nearby.

By the time my geared up [strike]peasant[/strike] militia commander arrives, the wereskink is dead in a pool of its own blood.

And I guess I need to put together a hospital now. I should probably banish the injured miner and child, shouldn't I?

Let this be my gangtag submission:

I, uh, I didn't act fast enough.

:ohdear:

The entry to my fort, and its very un-dwarfy above ground fortifications, is quickly becoming a bloodbath.

My militia commander makes her debut, assisted again by handy noncombatants.

It seems the children cannot be denied their bloodlust. Our plucky commander loses a finger to a bite in the scuffle, I expect she will turn on us in the next wave. Things are looking grim.

I fear this plague will only spread, and it is but a matter of time until everyone succumbs to the blight. I had a good couple years. Got work orders fairly well figured out. I misused the legendary weaponsmith I got in my second migrant wave, and spent too long making serrated steel disks for my trap hallway. I should have put at least a few dwarves in armor for an event like this. Advance time a little bit, and...

Oh, right. There was a human caravan here.

Welp, that's it. Rest in pieces, residents of Mansionnoble.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Started up my first fortress in ~10 years. Was having a blast, everything going great! Then I notice a little combat alert on the far left. Oh no, I look at the front of my fort and there is a blood bath going on. Giant Agitated Sparrows have taken to swooping in and dismembering my animals, knocking their teeth around the entire lawn. Just severed arms and legs and loose teeth cover the entrance. Several dwarves are now maimed as well. RIP to this fort, gonna try again tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future?

Also, is there a wiki or helpful guide to the new steam release? Was trying to find out how to prevent the plump helmets from getting cooked but still able to be brewed and couldn't find it.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Gods, picking the starting setup is as big of a wall as I remember. Spent a while fiddling with skills, but having to decide what to bring other than the bare necessities I know was just too much. Gonna go with a standard loadout, gently caress it.

Also, I *always* start in a place without aquifers, guess I'll continue that tradition.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Give this goon their gangtag

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Also, is there a wiki or helpful guide to the new steam release? Was trying to find out how to prevent the plump helmets from getting cooked but still able to be brewed and couldn't find it.

It's in the labor menu under cooking.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

RBA-Wintrow posted:

No, no don't geld them: periodically slaughter them for the free meat and leather.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

It's in the labor menu under cooking.

Thank you!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I never really paid attention to my wagon being unloaded. Do items start the game in containers already? If i bring extra food etc. should I bring more bags on embark?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Decrepus posted:

I never really paid attention to my wagon being unloaded. Do items start the game in containers already? If i bring extra food etc. should I bring more bags on embark?
You start with barrels for your stuff. Life hack: bring at least one unit of each kind of booze.

You don’t start with bins though. Unless you buy them I guess.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neurion posted:

QSPs still work, you just cannot make them out of a single track stop any more. The way I've got mine working is with a 3-tile long minecart route that uses a track stop to dump its contents onto the quantum stockpile. Because it relies on someone pushing it along, you may need to tweak the stop conditions to happen more frequently, especially for QSPs that store smaller items like bars or cloth. A minecart will be full after maybe 8 boulders, but it could take dozens of bars to reach 100%, and so far it seems like items in minecarts are considered inaccessible for the purposes of crafting and construction. It took a lot of frustrating fiddling before I realized that and finally said "gently caress it, I'll use a traditional stockpile for stone blocks."
Oh, I mostly want it for like, wood or stone. I'll experiment more later, thanks!

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Thanks for the tag!

The sheer ineptitude of my appointed councildwarves continues. For some unknown reason the book keeper, manager, and broker all decided to take a little stroll on the surface, probably on their way to hassle the haulers who were seeing a fair bit of extra work due to the new fort wide emphasis on shell crafts.

Unfortunately as soon as they poked their heads out the shaft all 3
:confused: why are these positions not all the same dwarf?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

So after getting my bearings a little bit on the tutorial fort in the pleasant tutorial land full of pears and persimmons and cherries that largely takes care of the food and booze micromanagement, I was hoping to embark a real fort somewhere a little more ambitious. I see my world has no less than three volcanos, with one having deep soil, multiple metals and a flux layer. However, all these volcanos are volcanic islands. If I actually settled there, am I just never going to have migrants or trade caravans or invasions or whatnot, since there's no connection to the mainland civilizations? Am I gonna have to Dwarf Family Robinson this poo poo?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got my first somewhat successful fort going. No real threats so far, but my hunter does keep getting knocked out while trying to go hunting, usually from a tree falling or falling into sand or something.

I have some questions since I don't really remember much about the game. First, since I have a pretty good sized river I've been using that for a water source, but it is getting bad to have to go outside to get water. Is there a method to find a source of water for a well or should I just dig around til I find some?

Second, also to do with digging - is there a recommended way to mine, or should I just go down levels until I find something or a cavern? Not sure how much I should be digging out z levels, I'm at about elevation 35-40 starting out so I have a ways to go to get negative.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Zereth posted:

Oh, I mostly want it for like, wood or stone. I'll experiment more later, thanks!

:confused: why are these positions not all the same dwarf?

Can't let any dwarf get too comfortable, my expedition leader was my manager but he sucked at everything else.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Mr E posted:

Got my first somewhat successful fort going. No real threats so far, but my hunter does keep getting knocked out while trying to go hunting, usually from a tree falling or falling into sand or something.

I have some questions since I don't really remember much about the game. First, since I have a pretty good sized river I've been using that for a water source, but it is getting bad to have to go outside to get water. Is there a method to find a source of water for a well or should I just dig around til I find some?

Second, also to do with digging - is there a recommended way to mine, or should I just go down levels until I find something or a cavern? Not sure how much I should be digging out z levels, I'm at about elevation 35-40 starting out so I have a ways to go to get negative.

Just keep digging down, nothing bad can happen... :unsmigghh:

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 7, 2022

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Okay I think I've got everyone since page 644 queued up to get a tag that told a story that wanted one, it won't appear until an admin comes along and presses the approval button. If you think you got missed in a day or two or would like adjustments made please PM me or sebmojo or any of the other Video Games mods and admins (such as, Video Games, the admin)

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Had my first crash shortly after fending off a sizable siege in which a legendary speardwarf got stabbed through the head because she'd apparently picked out a nice hefty mace to fight with despite having no mace skill and there being plenty of steel spears. I think this place got too cushy too quick, I need to settle on a glacier or something for old times' sake.
Can't expect much from the wiki after not even 48 hours from a major overhaul release but I'd be interested to learn what the difficulty config settings actually do. Things have felt a little too safe ever since sieges became reliant on 'real' populations and map activity years back, and then again since dwarves learned to cope with their emotions in more or less the most recent previous version.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

So after getting my bearings a little bit on the tutorial fort in the pleasant tutorial land full of pears and persimmons and cherries that largely takes care of the food and booze micromanagement, I was hoping to embark a real fort somewhere a little more ambitious. I see my world has no less than three volcanos, with one having deep soil, multiple metals and a flux layer. However, all these volcanos are volcanic islands. If I actually settled there, am I just never going to have migrants or trade caravans or invasions or whatnot, since there's no connection to the mainland civilizations? Am I gonna have to Dwarf Family Robinson this poo poo?

Yeah boats don't exist currently so if there's no land connection you'll be completely cut off from caravans and migrants. I think you will still get the first two migrant waves because iirc those are hard coded to happen. At least they used to be

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

VideoWitch posted:

Yeah boats don't exist currently so if there's no land connection you'll be completely cut off from caravans and migrants. I think you will still get the first two migrant waves because iirc those are hard coded to happen. At least they used to be

Okay, so Dwarven :lost: sounds like the thing to do to get used to playing with magma without worrying too much about an exploding population or goblin/necromancer bullshit. Here's hoping it's not Monster Island :krakken:

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I never tried my hand at pastures. You have to do it outside, unless you got some funky underground cavern setup, no? That seems rediculously vulnerable to getting slaughtered in a siege.

(Just spent like 20 minutes visualizing how I want to do the internal layout. There *has* to be lots empty space and tiers, the 'central 3x3 stairecase' is just too efficient and boring. Did settle on a simple model of widening tiers from 'stockpile', 'workshop', 'entry', levels. Bedrooms will come further up.)

Aeble fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 8, 2022

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I know it’s sort of the point but I hadn’t played since right before medicine was a thing and man the game is a lot more complicated now, huh?

Also if you live in a heavy forested area the entire ground becomes fruit, it’s maybe a bit busted.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

Couldn't you dig a reservoir and channel river water into it, then build a well over the reservoir?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, I think the old Wiki tutorial doesn't make sense (even ignoring the keystrokes) currently? For instance, I dug a channel above my mushroom beds to water them, but the flavor text says I mustn't let light in. How irrigate beds?

quote:

Near the middle of the entry tunnel, build a 5x5 room, and link it to the entrance tunnel with a 3-tile-wide passageway. Expand the main entry tunnel to three tiles wide from the entrance of the new room to the outside entry. At the end of the entry tunnel, dig a small room, which will later become your main stairwell. Two tiles past that, dig a larger room, which will later become your general stockpile, and connect it to the stairwell with a narrow passageway.
I can't do any of this stuff, because I didn't dig a tunnel into the side of a hill; I dug a staircase straight down, and the caravan won't be able to get down the stairs. Like, I ritually dug as advertised, but I can't see how it will work.

General questions:

To put it in Rimworld terms, dwarves aren't hauling things; I have lots of rooms with rocks in the middle of them. Is there a role I assign dwarves so that they schlep things?

I set up pens on the surface, but my animals starved to death in the meeting room. How do I prevent this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If you have a pool inside the fort proper you don’t even need the well. If it’s inside it shouldn’t even freeze.

Might want to put a grate in the channel before you flood it tho.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How do I see what's being picked up/consumed/produced during brewing? The whole process seems wholly opaque and I have no idea what's being taken and what's being created.

Also, how do you see how large a farm plot is? It seems like if you create two plots next to each other, they act as two fully separate plots, but there's no way to see where the edge is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Aeble posted:

I never tried my hand at pastures. You have to do it outside, unless you got some funky underground cavern setup, no? That seems rediculously vulnerable to getting slaughtered in a siege.

(Just spent like 20 minutes visualizing how I want to do the internal layout. There *has* to be lots empty space and tiers, the 'central 3x3 stairecase' is just too efficient and boring. Did settle on a simple model of widening tiers from 'stockpile', 'workshop', 'entry', levels. Bedrooms will come further up.)

This is older knowledge from a few versions ago, still have not got this far on my new attempts, but once you breached the caverns it seeded your fortress for growing cave flora wherever it could, so if you made a big chamber, flooded and drained it like you would for farmland, but just left it empty, it'll eventually caverninize into an area you could use as a underground pasture without all the danger of actually using the caverns.

Punching a large hole in the ceiling and walling around the hole on the surface also works for above ground flora with dirt floors, but leaves you at risk from flyers.