Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, I think the old Wiki tutorial doesn't make sense (even ignoring the keystrokes) currently? For instance, I dug a channel above my mushroom beds to water them, but the flavor text says I mustn't let light in. How irrigate beds?

I can't do any of this stuff, because I didn't dig a tunnel into the side of a hill; I dug a staircase straight down, and the caravan won't be able to get down the stairs. Like, I ritually dug as advertised, but I can't see how it will work.

General questions:

To put it in Rimworld terms, dwarves aren't hauling things; I have lots of rooms with rocks in the middle of them. Is there a role I assign dwarves so that they schlep things?

I set up pens on the surface, but my animals starved to death in the meeting room. How do I prevent this?
1. Wagons need ramps not stairs. You can trade on or near the surface in times of peace.

2. Flood areas temporarily to leave mud. They don’t need ongoing watering. I think bucket brigade by designating a flat area as a pond and enabling filling might do it. Alternatively dig out soil through horizontal tunnels.

3. Dwarfs leave rocks laying around. You can make stockpiles or leave it there for stonecrafters to eventually use. Same idea with ores and gems.

4. You have to assign the animal to the pasture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

Couldn't you dig a reservoir and channel river water into it, then build a well over the reservoir?

That makes sense, I’ll just make a reservoir near my farming stuff.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

QuantaStarFire posted:

Couldn't you dig a reservoir and channel river water into it, then build a well over the reservoir?

Yup, that's what I did. Just make sure you build a floodgate in your channel attached to a lever. Otherwise the river pressure can come up through the well and flood your fortress. So when your reservoir gets full, throw the floodgate lever and you're all set. I actually recommend two floodgates and two levers just in case you get a sneaky enemy creature that likes to throw random levers.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Just breaking caves and resealing still works. And cave spores are FAST. The moment your contaminated every dirt plot and wet stone plot starts turning yellow with cave spores.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ymgve posted:

How do I see what's being picked up/consumed/produced during brewing? The whole process seems wholly opaque and I have no idea what's being taken and what's being created.

If you go to the labor window and then the kitchen tab and drinks, you can toggle what plants you have that have permission to be used in brewing (so for example, if you want to save plump helmets for food at the start, you can do it there). Similarly under drinks you can toggle whether any of your booze can be used for cooking.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I don't know if this will help anyone other than me, but I finally found a way to have non-blurry text. The game will apply some sort of text upscaling any time you go above 1080 in height OR if you go too much over 4:3. Why does it do that when only the screen width changes and not the font's? :iiam:

So, the largest resolution you can go is 1528x1080 (technically 1529 but the extra pixel adds an upscaling artifact the next step)

Then, using something like Lossless Upscaling set to Nearest Neighbor, you can have crisp fonts in 4k.

Sadly it doesn't solve the blurry tileset when zoomed in/out but it's something.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 8, 2022

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Does anyone know if it's possible to export your world map in the steam version? The default zoom in embark mode feels too zoomed in to get a good feel for the overall layout of the world, but I can't figure out a way to just get a png or whatever of the entire world map.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Look I been pretty chill about letting visitors to the tavern take up permanent residence if they want, even if it's a bunch of freeloading poets and dancers and bards who suck up our booze and food and do nothing but hang around the tavern. You're entertaining the workers, it's cool. But this...

No. No thank you. Your giant hippie commune cannot just show up and move in. Get the gently caress out of my mountain.

(edit): they can't believe I said no, they are wandering around the edge of my map being upset and reliving the trauma.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 8, 2022

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I hope they add a way to read the legend info in Fortress mode. I think this was a feature of the lazy newb pack. It would also be cool if they added in an easier way to keep up with combat text, and other event texts besides the little icons that pop up. A full combat log of all the goings on would be neat to have.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Entire groups can sign to join your fort?

I swear I've only had individuals apply.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Deki posted:

Entire groups can sign to join your fort?

I swear I've only had individuals apply.

Me too before this performance troupe showed up.

I think I made my tavern too nice, I already have six bards and poets in residence and someone else is asking to live here every couple minutes.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 8, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay, still trying to get my footing in this game and I have a pretty nice little fort going which is essentially this same pattern repeated across 6+ floors. Anyway, I am lost on hauling.
1) Is there any way I can encourage or prioritize haulers placing all the rock blocks in the top-right stockpile inside the bins in the same stockpile? They keep bringing blocks in and leaving them on the floor, and the stockpile has a ton of empty bins in it.
2) For cleaning up all the boulders everywhere, is my best bet just crafting a bunch of wheelbarrows then sticking my entire fort on exclusively rock hauling for a while? The clutter is really getting to me

I'd like to start creating smaller more specialized stockpiles but I just like, do not understand when/how people haul in this game. If I set my entire fort to do nothing but Haul and specialize them all in Hauling it still seems to barely ever happen. And I have bins/buckets/wheelbarrows/etc :( And I've set up stockpiles to pull from other stockpiles and things like that, it works it's just incredibly slow.

e: Also I had a few heroes join me like 3 years ago that just wanted to slay monsters. I built them all their own bedrooms, and assigned them, but they all refuse to sleep in them and instead they only sleep on the temple floor. The bedroom zone does include the door to enter the bedroom. How can I make them actually use the bedroom?

Also how come I've only got one set of 2 immigrants in 7 years :sweatdrop:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 8, 2022

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
My still-early fort was doing okay, but a child who'd entered a mood died. Tragic, and worse yet his corpse had no place to go, so time to dig a tomb. Simple enough, but as that gets underway I notice more and more dwarves getting upset they can't pray, so I figure I'll tag out a space for a temple nearby, two birds one stone! Things started well, but I really wanted to make it nice, so I had both rooms set to be smoothed and engraved. The work was slow enough that I could watch the status bar and see everyone becoming ever more miserable; hang in there guys, I'll solve this problem if you just work with me. Spring turns to summer, things are going to be down to the wire to finish this before everyone totally loses their poo poo. Coffins built and ready to install, a door added, so close I could taste it...then my power goes out. Once it's restored and I'm back in game I discover to my horror that:

Autosaves are not seasonal by default.

I misread "semiannual" when I initially perused the settings menu, and the last save I had was months of game time earlier. A bit meta for my taste, but losing lots of hard work and careful plans is in the spirit of DF! Right? :| Time for a UPS, I guess.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay, still trying to get my footing in this game and I have a pretty nice little fort going which is essentially this same pattern repeated across 6+ floors. Anyway, I am lost on hauling.
1) Is there any way I can encourage or prioritize haulers placing all the rock blocks in the top-right stockpile inside the bins in the same stockpile? They keep bringing blocks in and leaving them on the floor, and the stockpile has a ton of empty bins in it.
2) For cleaning up all the boulders everywhere, is my best bet just crafting a bunch of wheelbarrows then sticking my entire fort on exclusively rock hauling for a while? The clutter is really getting to me

I'd like to start creating smaller more specialized stockpiles but I just like, do not understand when/how people haul in this game. If I set my entire fort to do nothing but Haul and specialize them all in Hauling it still seems to barely ever happen. And I have bins/buckets/wheelbarrows/etc :( And I've set up stockpiles to pull from other stockpiles and things like that, it works it's just incredibly slow.

e: Also I had a few heroes join me like 3 years ago that just wanted to slay monsters. I built them all their own bedrooms, and assigned them, but they all refuse to sleep in them and instead they only sleep on the temple floor. The bedroom zone does include the door to enter the bedroom. How can I make them actually use the bedroom?

Also how come I've only got one set of 2 immigrants in 7 years :sweatdrop:

I wouldn't sweat cleaning up random rocks for stockpiling, especially with that low of a population. Your stonecutters/crafters will grab them and use them up eventually. Have a craftsman cranking out stone crafts when you got nothing else going, you can always dump those on the next trade caravan. Once you have more dwarves, you'll have more haulers, especially since kids haul now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cerebulon posted:

Had my first crash shortly after fending off a sizable siege in which a legendary speardwarf got stabbed through the head because she'd apparently picked out a nice hefty mace to fight with despite having no mace skill and there being plenty of steel spears. I think this place got too cushy too quick, I need to settle on a glacier or something for old times' sake.
Can't expect much from the wiki after not even 48 hours from a major overhaul release but I'd be interested to learn what the difficulty config settings actually do. Things have felt a little too safe ever since sieges became reliant on 'real' populations and map activity years back, and then again since dwarves learned to cope with their emotions in more or less the most recent previous version.

Crashes may have something to do with widescreen resolutions, so if you're using one of those then making it a 1080p window apparently may help.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Keep in mind that you only need to gently caress about with mud if you're building your farms on top of stone.

If you dig into a dirt layer you can have underground farms without needing to muddy the ground. If you want to muddy for underground crops with the pond designation, your farm needs to not be the first z-level below the surface, you need to have room for another room mined out above without exposing the farm to the sky.

But the property of a tile remaining 'outside' once it's ever been exposed to the sky once, even if you cover over it again, can be used to build safe underground pasture areas without needing to breach the caverns, if you dig them into a soil layer that's the first z-level below the surface, then channel away the soil surface over it, and then replace it with a constructed floor. Now you have a bunch of dirt that's capable of growing grass, but not actually exposed to invaders.

For flavor I like to do glass floors but mechanically they're not actually any different.

Once you breach the caverns, any UNDERGROUND dirt tiles will begin to grow cave flora that can be used for pasture.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
It's been a hot minute since I've played, how the heck do I build an instrument? I can't put in a work order for one and I'm certain that I have all the workshops I could need to do so but it's just not an option for some reason.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Who are the 7 psychopaths who gave the game a bad review

Colin Farrell, Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell, Tom Waits, Long Nguyen, and Amanda Warren

...wait wrong 7 Psycopaths :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay so how do I get more dwarves and what am I doing wrong with Immigration?

I just hit Summer of Year 7. My population is 14. That's:
7 starting dwarves
2 immigrants I got early on
5 petitioners who joined requesting to Eradicate Monsters.

I have received zero migrant waves in the past 6 years. I've denied probably 40 or so more adventurers wanting to eradicate monsters, because I realized after the first 5 that they're not actual residents I can control, all they do is sleep on the tavern floor and eat my food.

I just checked the wiki and it says there's supposed to be a guaranteed double-digit immigrant wave in the second spring, but that was 5 years ago and they never showed up. And it says they're supposed to keep coming every season but :confused:

I am massively overstocked on food, drink, etc.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Maybe your civ is dead?

I'm at 11 just after the first wave.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm guessing they're not supposed to show up on the "Civilizations" menu on the map, because my fort is the only civilization that shows up there at all. But I'm part of The North Gravel, my fort is the yellow one near the top here and all of the blue ones are the same civ and they all show 50+ population each:

edit: I finally got 6 immigrants right after posting this so I guess the old adage of "complaining on the internet always works" is true in dwarf fortress too

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 8, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

migrants are attracted by tales of wealth from the dwarven caravan that stops by each year. if you aren't producing anything valuable you aren't going to get many migrants. but that seems a bit unlikely since churning out masterwork mundane items and prepared meals is usually enough to make you seem like an attractive migration target

alternately, if you were, uh, doing something like robbing the dwarven caravan every year, that would also stop migration

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
i have purchased dwarf fortress

I did the tutorial and then immediately accidentally flooded my fledgling fort.

My bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That makes sense, I hate not having the ability to speed up time so I've just been leaving the game running while afk a lot and I've missed most of the caravans entirely :kiddo:

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Hello friends, I come bearing a gift. Replace your existing announcements.txt file (BACK IT UP FIRST with this and you will have the full Classic DF Announcement Pausing/Recentering Experience.

edit: goodbye enormous wall of text, hello downloadable text file!

Navigate to install dir>data>init, rename your old file and simply drop this one into place.

Now your game will pause, recenter, AND give you a popup box for the following events:

Migrants
Ambushes
Skulking Thieves
Snatchers
Caravans
Caravans Need Depot
Caravans Bypass Site
Noble arrivals
Diplomats
Liaisons
Cave Collapse
Citizen Births
Strange Moods
Strange Mood Building Claiming
Artifact Creation
Artifact Naming
Megabeast Arrival
Werebeast Arrival
Citizen Death
Ghost Attack
Undead Attack
Strange Cloud
Trained Animal Reverts to Wild
Noble Position Succession
Citizen Lost to Stress
Citizen Tantrum
Citizen Snatched
Election Results
New Demand
New Mandate
Possessed Tantrum
Deity Curse
Crime Witnesses
"End Game Events"

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 8, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

thunderspanks posted:

Hello friends, I come bearing a gift. Replace your existing announcements.txt file (BACK IT UP FIRST located at install dir>data>init) with this and you will have the full Classic DF Announcement Pausing/Recentering Experience.

No more missing when migrants arrive. No more missing when the caravan comes. If it paused and/or recentered the screen in the old DF, it does now too. I didn't just copy/paste from the old one to the new, there are entries in the new txt file that don't exist in the old one. I cross checked every entry for consistency.
code:
Dorf fort

God thank you, whenever I open the file my eyes just slide right off it

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Building instruments is fuckin hard. Instruments are all procedurally generated, so nobody can tell you what they are or what parts they need to be made, you get to puzzle it out yourself. Some instruments are a single part (think like, carved bone or wood flutes) and those you can make pretty easily by just stumbling on Make Staruth or whatever random name in a craft workshop.

More complex ones can have tons of stupid parts that take a bunch of different workshops, using manager orders to create work orders for like stone plunduk bodies and bone plunduk keys and glass plunduk pipes is usually the easiest, then when you have all the parts you can Assemble Plunduk at a craft workshop.

I think.

I haven't actually done this in the steam version yet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

thunderspanks posted:

Hello friends, I come bearing a gift. Replace your existing announcements.txt file (BACK IT UP FIRST located at install dir>data>init) with this and you will have the full Classic DF Announcement Pausing/Recentering Experience.

No more missing when migrants arrive. No more missing when the caravan comes. If it paused and/or recentered the screen in the old DF, it does now too. I didn't just copy/paste from the old one to the new, there are entries in the new txt file that don't exist in the old one (and vice versa). I cross checked every entry for consistency.
[code]
:bubblewoop:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

thunderspanks posted:

No more missing when migrants arrive. No more missing when the caravan comes. If it paused and/or recentered the screen in the old DF, it does now too. I didn't just copy/paste from the old one to the new, there are entries in the new txt file that don't exist in the old one (and vice versa). I cross checked every entry for consistency.
code:
BOX or DO_MEGA: the announcment will appear in a box and pause the game
P or PAUSE: the announcement will cause the game to pause
R or RECENTER: the announcement will cause the game to recenter (if possible)
A_D or A_DISPLAY: the announcement will be displayed in the main adventure announcement log (and on screen)
D_D or D_DISPLAY: the announcement will be displayed in the dwarf announcement alerts
UCR or UNIT_COMBAT_REPORT: the announcement will be associated to the unit combat/hunting/sparring reports
UCR_A or UNIT_COMBAT_REPORT_ALL_ACTIVE: the announcement will be associated to any active unit combat/hunting/sparring reports, but if there are no reports it will not create one
ALERT: the announcement will cause the alert button to light up

[REACHED_PEAK:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[ERA_CHANGE:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[ENDGAME_EVENT_1:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[ENDGAME_EVENT_1B:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[ENDGAME_EVENT_2:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[FEATURE_DISCOVERY:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[STRUCK_DEEP_METAL:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[STRUCK_MINERAL:A_D:D_D]
[STRUCK_ECONOMIC_MINERAL:A_D:D_D]
[COMBAT_TWIST_WEAPON:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_LET_ITEM_DROP:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_START_CHARGE:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_SURPRISE_CHARGE:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_JUMP_DODGE_PROJ:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_JUMP_DODGE_STRIKE:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_DODGE:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_COUNTERSTRIKE:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_BLOCK:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_PARRY:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_COLLISION:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_DEFENDER_TUMBLES:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_DEFENDER_KNOCKED_OVER:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_ATTACKER_TUMBLES:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_ATTACKER_BOUNCE_BACK:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_TANGLE_TOGETHER:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_TANGLE_TUMBLE:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_RUSH_BY:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_MANAGE_STOP:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_CHARGE_OBSTACLE_SLAM:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_LOCK:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_CHOKEHOLD:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_TAKEDOWN:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_THROW:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_RELEASE_LOCK:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_RELEASE_CHOKE:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_RELEASE_GRIP:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_STRUGGLE:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_RELEASE_LATCH:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_STRANGLE_KO:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_ADJUST_GRIP:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_GRAB_TEAR:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_STRIKE_DETAILS:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_STRIKE_DETAILS_2:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_ENRAGED:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_STUCKIN:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_LATCH_BP:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_LATCH_GENERAL:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_PROPELLED_AWAY:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_KNOCKED_OUT:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_STUNNED:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_WINDED:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_EVENT_NAUSEATED:A_D:UCR]
[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL_NAMED:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D]
[BEAST_AMBUSH:A_D:D_D:ALERT]
[AMBUSH_DEFENDER:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_RESIDENT:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_HERO:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[AMBUSH_THIEF:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_THIEF_SUPPORT_SKULKING:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_THIEF_SUPPORT_NATURE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_THIEF_SUPPORT:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_MISCHIEVOUS:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_SNATCHER:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_SNATCHER_SUPPORT:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_AMBUSHER_NATURE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_AMBUSHER:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_INJURED:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_OTHER:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[AMBUSH_INCAPACITATED:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[CARAVAN_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[NOBLE_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[D_MIGRANTS_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[D_MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[D_MIGRANT_ARRIVAL_DISCOURAGED:A_D:D_D]
[D_NO_MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D]
[ANIMAL_TRAP_CATCH:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[ANIMAL_TRAP_ROBBED:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[MISCHIEF_LEVER:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[MISCHIEF_PLATE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[MISCHIEF_CAGE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[MISCHIEF_CHAIN:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIPLOMAT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[LIAISON_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[TRADE_DIPLOMAT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[BIRTH_CITIZEN:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[BIRTH_ANIMAL:A_D:D_D]
[BIRTH_WILD_ANIMAL:A_D:D_D]
[STRANGE_MOOD:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[MADE_ARTIFACT:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[NAMED_ARTIFACT:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[ITEM_ATTACHMENT:A_D:D_D]
[VERMIN_CAGE_ESCAPE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[TRIGGER_WEB:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[MOOD_BUILDING_CLAIMED:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[ARTIFACT_BEGUN:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[MEGABEAST_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[WEREBEAST_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[BERSERK_CITIZEN:A_D:D_D]
[MAGMA_DEFACES_ENGRAVING:A_D:D_D]
[ENGRAVING_MELTS:A_D:D_D]
[MASTERPIECE_CONSTRUCTION:A_D:D_D]
[MASTER_ARCHITECTURE_LOST:A_D:D_D]
[MASTER_CONSTRUCTION_LOST:A_D:D_D]
[ADV_AWAKEN:A_D:D_D]
[ADV_SLEEP_INTERRUPTED:A_D:D_D]
[ADV_REACTION_PRODUCTS:A_D:D_D]
[CANCEL_JOB:A_D:D_D]
[ADV_CREATURE_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A]
[CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A:ALERT]
[PET_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A]
[FALL_OVER:A_D:UCR_A]
[CAUGHT_IN_FLAMES:A_D:UCR_A]
[CAUGHT_IN_WEB:A_D:UCR_A]
[UNIT_PROJECTILE_SLAM_BLOW_APART:A_D:UCR_A]
[UNIT_PROJECTILE_SLAM:A_D:UCR_A]
[UNIT_PROJECTILE_SLAM_INTO_UNIT:A_D:UCR_A]
[VOMIT:A_D:UCR_A]
[LOSE_HOLD_OF_ITEM:A_D:UCR_A]
[REGAIN_CONSCIOUSNESS:A_D:UCR_A]
[FREE_FROM_WEB:A_D:UCR_A]
[PARALYZED:A_D:UCR_A]
[OVERCOME_PARALYSIS:A_D:UCR_A]
[NOT_STUNNED:A_D:UCR_A]
[EXHAUSTION:A_D:UCR_A]
[PAIN_KO:A_D:UCR_A]
[BREAK_GRIP:A_D:UCR_A]
[NO_BREAK_GRIP:A_D:UCR_A]
[BLOCK_FIRE:A_D:UCR_A]
[BREATHE_FIRE:A_D:UCR_A]
[SHOOT_WEB:A_D:UCR_A]
[PULL_OUT_DROP:A_D:UCR_A]
[STAND_UP:A_D:UCR_A]
[MARTIAL_TRANCE:A_D:D_D]
[MAT_BREATH:A_D:UCR_A]
[NIGHT_ATTACK_STARTS:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[NIGHT_ATTACK_ENDS:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[NIGHT_ATTACK_TRAVEL:A_D:D_D]
[GHOST_ATTACK:A_D:D_D:UCR_A]
[TRAVEL_SITE_DISCOVERY:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[TRAVEL_SITE_BUMP:A_D:D_D]
[ADVENTURE_INTRO:BOX]
[CREATURE_SOUND:A_D]
[MECHANISM_SOUND:A_D]
[CREATURE_STEALS_OBJECT:A_D:D_D]
[FOUND_TRAP:A_D:D_D]
[BODY_TRANSFORMATION:A_D:D_D]
[INTERACTION_ACTOR:A_D:UCR]
[INTERACTION_TARGET:A_D:UCR]
[UNDEAD_ATTACK:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[CITIZEN_MISSING:A_D:D_D:UCR_A:ALERT]
[PET_MISSING:A_D:D_D:UCR_A]
[STRANGE_RAIN_SNOW:A_D:D_D]
[STRANGE_CLOUD:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[SIMPLE_ANIMAL_ACTION:A_D]
[FLOUNDER_IN_LIQUID:A_D]
[TRAINING_DOWN_TO_SEMI_WILD:A_D:D_D]
[TRAINING_FULL_REVERSION:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[ANIMAL_TRAINING_KNOWLEDGE:A_D:D_D]
[SKIP_ON_LIQUID:A_D:UCR_A]
[DODGE_FLYING_OBJECT:A_D:UCR_A]
[REGULAR_CONVERSATION:A_D]
[CONFLICT_CONVERSATION:A_D:UCR_A]
[FLAME_HIT:A_D:UCR]
[EMBRACE:A_D]
[BANDIT_EMPTY_CONTAINER:A_D]
[BANDIT_GRAB_ITEM:A_D]
[COMBAT_EVENT_ATTACK_INTERRUPTED:A_D:UCR]
[COMBAT_WRESTLE_CATCH_ATTACK:A_D:UCR]
[FAIL_TO_GRAB_SURFACE:A_D:UCR_A]
[LOSE_HOLD_OF_SURFACE:A_D:UCR_A]
[TRAVEL_COMPLAINT:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[LOSE_EMOTION:A_D:UCR_A]
[REORGANIZE_POSSESSIONS:A_D]
[PUSH_ITEM:A_D:UCR_A]
[DRAW_ITEM:A_D]
[STRAP_ITEM:A_D]
[GAIN_SITE_CONTROL:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[FORT_POSITION_SUCCESSION:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[STRESSED_CITIZEN:A_D:D_D]
[CITIZEN_LOST_TO_STRESS:A_D:D_D]
[CITIZEN_TANTRUM:A_D:D_D]
[MOVED_OUT_OF_RANGE:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_JUMP:A_D:D_D]
[NO_TRACKS:A_D:D_D]
[ALREADY_SEARCHED_AREA:A_D:D_D]
[SEARCH_FOUND_SOMETHING:A_D:D_D]
[SEARCH_FOUND_NOTHING:A_D:D_D]
[NOTHING_TO_INTERACT:A_D:D_D]
[NOTHING_TO_EXAMINE:A_D:D_D]
[YOU_YIELDED:A_D:D_D]
[YOU_UNYIELDED:A_D:D_D]
[YOU_STRAP_ITEM:A_D:D_D]
[YOU_DRAW_ITEM:A_D:D_D]
[NO_GRASP_TO_DRAW_ITEM:A_D:D_D]
[NO_ITEM_TO_STRAP:A_D:D_D]
[NO_INV_TO_REMOVE:A_D:D_D]
[NO_INV_TO_WEAR:A_D:D_D]
[NO_INV_TO_EAT:A_D:D_D]
[NO_INV_TO_CONTAIN:A_D:D_D]
[NO_INV_TO_DROP:A_D:D_D]
[NOTHING_TO_PICK_UP:A_D:D_D]
[NO_INV_TO_THROW:A_D:D_D]
[NO_INV_TO_FIRE:A_D:D_D]
[CURRENT_SMELL:A_D:D_D]
[CURRENT_WEATHER:A_D:D_D]
[CURRENT_TEMPERATURE:A_D:D_D]
[CURRENT_DATE:A_D:D_D]
[NO_GRASP_FOR_PICKUP:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_CLIMB:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_STAND:A_D:D_D]
[MUST_UNRETRACT_FIRST:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_REST:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_MAKE_CAMPFIRE:A_D:D_D]
[MADE_CAMPFIRE:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_SET_FIRE:A_D:D_D]
[SET_FIRE:A_D:D_D]
[DAWN_BREAKS:A_D:D_D]
[NOON:A_D:D_D]
[NIGHTFALL:A_D:D_D]
[NO_INV_INTERACTION:A_D:D_D]
[EMPTY_CONTAINER:A_D:D_D]
[TAKE_OUT_OF_CONTAINER:A_D:D_D]
[NO_CONTAINER_FOR_ITEM:A_D:D_D]
[PUT_INTO_CONTAINER:A_D:D_D]
[EAT_ITEM:A_D]
[DRINK_ITEM:A_D]
[CONSUME_FAILURE:A_D]
[DROP_ITEM:A_D]
[PICK_UP_ITEM:A_D]
[YOU_BUILDING_INTERACTION:A_D:D_D]
[YOU_ITEM_INTERACTION:A_D:D_D]
[YOU_TEMPERATURE_EFFECTS:A_D:D_D]
[RESOLVE_SHARED_ITEMS:A_D:UCR]
[COUGH_BLOOD:A_D:D_D]
[VOMIT_BLOOD:A_D:D_D]
[POWER_LEARNED:A_D:D_D]
[YOU_FEED_ON_SUCKEE:A_D:D_D]
[PROFESSION_CHANGES:A_D:D_D]
[RECRUIT_PROMOTED:A_D:D_D]
[SOLDIER_BECOMES_MASTER:A_D:D_D]
[MERCHANTS_UNLOADING:A_D:D_D]
[MERCHANTS_NEED_DEPOT:A_D:D_D:ALERT]
[MERCHANT_WAGONS_BYPASSED:A_D:D_D:ALERT]
[MERCHANTS_LEAVING_SOON:A_D:D_D]
[MERCHANTS_EMBARKED:A_D:D_D]
[PET_LOSES_DEAD_OWNER:A_D:D_D]
[PET_ADOPTS_OWNER:A_D:D_D]
[VERMIN_BITE:A_D:D_D]
[UNABLE_TO_COMPLETE_BUILDING:A_D:D_D]
[JOBS_REMOVED_FROM_UNPOWERED_BUILDING:A_D:D_D]
[CITIZEN_SNATCHED:A_D:D_D]
[VERMIN_DISTURBED:A_D:D_D]
[LAND_GAINS_STATUS:A_D:D_D]
[LAND_ELEVATED_STATUS:A_D:D_D]
[MASTERPIECE_CRAFTED:A_D:D_D]
[ARTWORK_DEFACED:A_D:D_D]
[ANIMAL_TRAINED:A_D:D_D]
[DYED_MASTERPIECE:A_D:D_D]
[COOKED_MASTERPIECE:A_D:D_D]
[MANDATE_ENDS:A_D:D_D]
[SLOWDOWN_ENDS:A_D:D_D]
[FAREWELL_HELPER:A_D:D_D]
[ELECTION_RESULTS:A_D:D_D]
[SITE_PRESENT:A_D:D_D]
[CONSTRUCTION_SUSPENDED:A_D:D_D]
[LINKAGE_SUSPENDED:A_D:D_D]
[QUOTA_FILLED:A_D:D_D]
[JOB_OVERWRITTEN:A_D:D_D]
[NOTHING_TO_CATCH_IN_WATER:A_D:D_D]
[DEMAND_FORGOTTEN:A_D:D_D]
[NEW_DEMAND:A_D:D_D]
[NEW_MANDATE:A_D:D_D]
[PRICES_ALTERED:A_D:D_D]
[NAMED_RESIDENT_CREATURE:A_D:D_D]
[SOMEBODY_GROWS_UP:A_D:D_D]
[GUILD_REQUEST_TAKEN:A_D:D_D]
[GUILD_WAGES_CHANGED:A_D:D_D]
[NEW_WORK_MANDATE:A_D:D_D]
[CITIZEN_BECOMES_SOLDIER:A_D:D_D]
[CITIZEN_BECOMES_NONSOLDIER:A_D:D_D]
[PARTY_ORGANIZED:A_D:D_D]
[POSSESSED_TANTRUM:A_D:D_D]
[BUILDING_TOPPLED_BY_GHOST:A_D:D_D]
[MASTERFUL_IMPROVEMENT:A_D:D_D]
[MASTERPIECE_ENGRAVING:A_D:D_D]
[MARRIAGE:A_D:D_D]
[NO_MARRIAGE_CELEBRATION:A_D:D_D]
[CURIOUS_GUZZLER:A_D:D_D]
[WEATHER_BECOMES_CLEAR:A_D:D_D]
[WEATHER_BECOMES_SNOW:A_D:D_D]
[WEATHER_BECOMES_RAIN:A_D:D_D]
[SEASON_WET:A_D:D_D]
[SEASON_DRY:A_D:D_D]
[SEASON_SPRING:A_D:D_D]
[SEASON_SUMMER:A_D:D_D]
[SEASON_AUTUMN:A_D:D_D]
[SEASON_WINTER:A_D:D_D]
[GUEST_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_SPEAK:A_D:D_D]
[RESEARCH_BREAKTHROUGH:A_D:D_D]
[SERVICE_ORDER_DELIVERY:A_D]
[PERFORMANCE_START_FAILURE:A_D]
[BEGIN_ACTIVITY:A_D]
[MIDDLE_OF_ACTIVITY:A_D]
[ACTIVITY_SECTION_CHANGE:A_D]
[CONCLUDE_ACTIVITY:A_D]
[LEARNED_WRITTEN_CONTENT:A_D]
[LEARNED_ART_FORM:A_D]
[PERFORMER_UPDATE:A_D]
[BUILDING_DESTROYED_OR_TOPPLED:A_D:D_D]
[DEITY_CURSE:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[COMPOSITION_COMPLETE:A_D]
[COMPOSITION_FAILED:A_D]
[NEW_APPRENTICESHIP:A_D:D_D]
[PETITION_IGNORED:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_CHOP_TREE:A_D:D_D]
[CHOP_TREE:A_D:D_D]
[CANNOT_CONSTRUCT:A_D:D_D]
[RUMOR_SPREAD:A_D:D_D]
[SERVICE_ORDER_RUMOR_RECEIVED:A_D:D_D]
[RETURNING_RUMOR_RECEIVED:A_D:D_D]
[NEW_HOLDING:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[NEW_MARKET_LINK:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[EMERGENCY_TACTICAL_CONTROL:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[AGREEMENT_SATISFIED:A_D:D_D]
[AGREEMENT_WARNING:A_D:D_D]
[AGREEMENT_ABANDONED:A_D:D_D]
[NEW_GUILD:A_D:D_D]
[CRIME_WITNESS_HANDOFF:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[CRIME_WITNESS_STOLEN:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[CRIME_WITNESS_ITEM_MOVED:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[CRIME_WITNESS_ITEM_MISSING:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]
[MOUNT:A_D:UCR]
[CANNOT_MOUNT:A_D]
[FAILED_MOUNT:A_D:UCR]
[DISMOUNT:A_D:UCR]
[FAILED_DISMOUNT:A_D:UCR]
[DIPLOMAT_LEFT_UNHAPPY:A_D:D_D]
[EMBARK_MESSAGE:BOX]
[FIRST_CARAVAN_ARRIVAL:BOX]
[MONARCH_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[HASTY_MONARCH:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[SATISFIED_MONARCH:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[MOUNTAINHOME:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[FOOD_WARNING:A_D:D_D:ALERT]
Put this in the OP

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I saw earlier that combat log is obfuscated, is that true?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Man, the process of punching through an aquifer is better than it used to be, but still so tedious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Famethrowa posted:

I saw earlier that combat log is obfuscated, is that true?
Combat logs seem the same as before but you can only access them from current alerts on the lefthand side of the screen

Once you dismiss those, you can't get back to them. There is no master list of messages or reports anymore, including combat logs. (hopefully this is something that changes in the near future.)

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

if i have a light aquifer that is multiple layers deep, and i dig a multi-tile-deep hole in it, will it eventually fill up all the way to the top level of that hole? or will it just go 'nah there's no ground below me'.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

god bless you

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

hailthefish posted:

Building instruments is fuckin hard. Instruments are all procedurally generated, so nobody can tell you what they are or what parts they need to be made, you get to puzzle it out yourself. Some instruments are a single part (think like, carved bone or wood flutes) and those you can make pretty easily by just stumbling on Make Staruth or whatever random name in a craft workshop.

More complex ones can have tons of stupid parts that take a bunch of different workshops, using manager orders to create work orders for like stone plunduk bodies and bone plunduk keys and glass plunduk pipes is usually the easiest, then when you have all the parts you can Assemble Plunduk at a craft workshop.

I think.

I haven't actually done this in the steam version yet.
I've found when I'm naming my fortress and I pick my symbol I can choose any of the known instruments and it'll show individual parts. Not a good way to tell but you can use it to get a little preview of whatever available

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The real interesting guests are showing up now

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/cura_chan/status/1600509896268603401?t=At4QmNTGx6dqHqK_LAT90A&s=19

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

thunderspanks posted:

code:
[YOU_FEED_ON_SUCKEE:A_D:D_D]

What you say to me motherfucker

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

titty_baby_ posted:

I've found when I'm naming my fortress and I pick my symbol I can choose any of the known instruments and it'll show individual parts. Not a good way to tell but you can use it to get a little preview of whatever available

Nice!

Buying from caravans is how I usually get my first few, and can be a hint for the names and parts of the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Picking up DF after almost a decade away is amazing

I forgot how to do so much stuff, it's great