Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Retroarch is just a frontend, although some emulators exclusively are ran through it. Most of the time, running the emulator directly offers better performance. EmuDeck installs everything you need, but you'll have to look into downloading your own console bios files for many of them to run properly (EmuDeck has some guides that help with this).

If you'd rather do things slowly and set up each console individually, many of the emulators can easily be downloaded using the Steam Deck's "Discover" app store within Desktop Mode. Admittedly, EmuDeck offers some custom controller bindings that make setting things up a little easier.

There are tons of YouTube videos that do a great job of walking users through these kinds of things - certainly better than I could explaining it - check some out!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thanks for the input! So what are some good SD cards, or is the OP still accurate in that regard, even if it's out of date on some things (Discord).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Its here!

Also, y'all weren't kidding about the vent - it smells like a new car lmao

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Well, a few months in and I don't regret the purchase and it's where I do most of my gaming, but between getting into synthesizers, AI generative BS, etc, I just don't play games very much. It's an awesome device that I'm glad to own and would use more if I only had to work 10 hours a week.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Annath posted:

Its here!

Also, y'all weren't kidding about the vent - it smells like a new car lmao

Be careful not to overdo it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Still no order slot for my deck but I guess they have another month and 10 days so whatever

In the mean time, uh, I did this to a poor Razer Kishi and now I am using it to play on a 10"+ lenovo p11 plus; pardon the kid sounds, they are happy and safe, gurgling is normal.

https://i.imgur.com/lNmg3AP.mp4

this is up on SA mart, FWIW

edit: the hacked and slashed Kishi, not the tablet. though, make me an offer there if you really want I guess.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How do I find Flathub? I searched in the Discover store and didn't see it.

Also, no virtual keyboard comes up in Desktop mode when I tap in a text box :saddowns:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Annath posted:

Also, no virtual keyboard comes up in Desktop mode when I tap in a text box :saddowns:

In desktop you gotta manually summon the keyboard with Steam or ... button + X button at the same time.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thanks for the input! So what are some good SD cards, or is the OP still accurate in that regard, even if it's out of date on some things (Discord).

is the discord link wrong?

Annath posted:

are you looking for flatseal maybe

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Getting an 'invalid or expired' link when I try and join the discord. So either it's a bad link now, or something is up with discord on my end, despite everything else working just fine.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bleh, apparently my shipment was delayed from Friday to Sunday. Was hoping to play with my deck have it for the weekend

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I installed EmuDeck, but when I try to run EmulationStation in game mode, it sits on the spinning Steam logo for a while, like 5+ minutes, and didn't seem to be doing anything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Getting an 'invalid or expired' link when I try and join the discord. So either it's a bad link now, or something is up with discord on my end, despite everything else working just fine.

https://discord.gg/A6c22672

It expires every so often to keep bots from coming on in to tell us to click here for hawt boobies.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am hoping that the Crisis Core Remake works well on Steam Deck because playing it on a giant, pumped up PSP sounds on brand.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Steam Deck is the vita 2 Sony were too cowardly to make

It’s so good for remote play

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am hoping that the Crisis Core Remake works well on Steam Deck because playing it on a giant, pumped up PSP sounds on brand.

FF7R was Deck verified so I see no reason Crisis Core won't be since I think it's on the same engine.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s releasing on switch, it’ll run fine

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

FF7R was Deck verified so I see no reason Crisis Core won't be since I think it's on the same engine.

Also, the graphics requirements should be much less. It's remastered, but it's still a PSP game.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

tater_salad posted:

https://discord.gg/A6c22672

It expires every so often to keep bots from coming on in to tell us to click here for hawt boobies.

Whatchu got against boobies?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question: Is there a way to play PC Gamepass games on the deck? I am guessing no, or at least not easily.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question: Is there a way to play PC Gamepass games on the deck? I am guessing no, or at least not easily.

Install windows, basically

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

Install windows, basically

Shoulda figured

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

You can also subscribe to ultimate and play cloud versions through a browser window

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

History Comes Inside! posted:

Steam Deck is the vita 2 Sony were too cowardly to make

It’s so good for remote play

Hey now, the Vita was pretty sweet for remote play too. Also it had an OLED screen! In 2011!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Harlock posted:

You can also subscribe to ultimate and play cloud versions through a browser window

As long as your internet is good it works quite well, too

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Is there an updated invite for the discord channel? The current one seems to be expired.

EDIT: Man, oh man, I'm a dumb person

Narzack fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 8, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm losing my mind, the display position I pick doesn't work. I just want the "widescreen, with underline under it" showing the display will be widescreen. but it makes it vertical with the mouse moving in the opposite direction.

So right now to make this work I have:

It's not connected to anything, so I dunno why it's saying laptop screen unless that's what the Deck calls its screen. I just want to loving make it landscape!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Whatchu got against boobies?

Nothing till the scam link infests me with all kinds a viri.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Barreft posted:

I'm losing my mind, the display position I pick doesn't work. I just want the "widescreen, with underline under it" showing the display will be widescreen. but it makes it vertical with the mouse moving in the opposite direction.

It's not connected to anything, so I dunno why it's saying laptop screen unless that's what the Deck calls its screen. I just want to loving make it landscape!

This is what happens when I set it to actual landscape, it turns vertical and will cut off the sides. I have no option to change the res to 8:5

I'm sure this is just some dumb thing about linux, i know nothing about it

e: its again, in my lap and not connected to anything

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Barreft posted:

That is in fact what the deck calls its screen. The native aspect ratio of the display is 5:8, however, and the display driver just runs it rotated to get a "normal" widescreen end result. Hence the rotation buttons showing that it's rotated.

It's not really a linux thing (you can do the same thing in Windows), just a quirk resulting from Valves choice of hardware.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Helter Skelter posted:

That is in fact what the deck calls its screen. The native aspect ratio of the display is 5:8, however, and the display driver just runs it rotated to get a "normal" widescreen end result. Hence the rotation buttons showing that it's rotated.

It's not really a linux thing (you can do the same thing in Windows), just a quirk resulting from Valves choice of hardware.

Okay thank you!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I followed the instructions in the OP to run the little FTP server on the Deck, and it worked fine. I know SSH is more secure, but I only need this to be used a few times until my USB-C hub arrives.

Question: can I get said FTP server to "show" the SD card? By default it only showed the internal drive.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Annath posted:

I followed the instructions in the OP to run the little FTP server on the Deck, and it worked fine. I know SSH is more secure, but I only need this to be used a few times until my USB-C hub arrives.

Question: can I get said FTP server to "show" the SD card? By default it only showed the internal drive.
The easiest way to do it is just use SFTP instead, it would be more trouble than its worth making that work with FTP. Then the SD card will be located at /run/media/mmcblk something or other

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Harlock posted:

Or if you have a PC running the games as well use in home streaming. The Moonlight / Playnite combo works well for this although you have to manually add each installed game to Playnite.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Does anyone else have an issue with their deck not reconnecting to the wireless network after waking up from sleep? I try over and over again to connect to the network and i just get failure messages. It's real hit or miss, too.

Edit: i fixed it by turning airplane mode on then off.

I previously tried turning off the "enable wifi power management" under the developer settings but it didn't work. I suspect the airplane mode stuff permanently disables wifi until you turn it on then back off.

Spaghett fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 8, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this is an interesting one I kinda assumed that ΔV: Rings of Saturn wouldn't have steam deck compatibility, but the dev has been actively working on getting it up and running well on the deck. There are a few issues he's currently working on but overall the game seems to work pretty well on the deck.

Here's the dev thread
https://steamcommunity.com/app/846030/discussions/0/3276941718965001901/

Here's the store page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/846030/V_Rings_of_Saturn/

quote:

A physics-based mining sim, set in the thickest debris field in Sol. Every action has a reaction, lasers are invisible without a medium, and your thrust is a potent weapon. Find trade, adapt your equipment to your playstyle, hire a crew to help. Unravel the mysteries of the rings, or just get rich.

If you are on the fence about it the game has gone on sale but IMO its worth the $10

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

MarcusSA posted:

So this is an interesting one I kinda assumed that ΔV: Rings of Saturn wouldn't have steam deck compatibility, but the dev has been actively working on getting it up and running well on the deck. There are a few issues he's currently working on but overall the game seems to work pretty well on the deck.

Here's the dev thread
https://steamcommunity.com/app/846030/discussions/0/3276941718965001901/

Here's the store page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/846030/V_Rings_of_Saturn/

If you are on the fence about it the game has gone on sale but IMO its worth the $10

IIRC it's currently free in protest against the invasion of Ukraine - the demo is the full game. You still have to buy it if you want to buy the furry dlc, which just adds a bunch of furry crew portraits with no mechanical impact.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

jokes posted:

Be careful not to overdo it

Smell it enough and find yourself inexplicably drawn to vampire survivors.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Spaghett posted:

Does anyone else have an issue with their deck not reconnecting to the wireless network after waking up from sleep? I try over and over again to connect to the network and i just get failure messages. It's real hit or miss, too.

Edit: i fixed it by turning airplane mode on then off.

I previously tried turning off the "enable wifi power management" under the developer settings but it didn't work. I suspect the airplane mode stuff permanently disables wifi until you turn it on then back off.

The only issue I've had is that I've suffered spontaneous disconnects, particularly in Snowrunner, which is a finicky game in multiplayer as-is. This also seems to be more of an issue after waking the Dreck as opposed to right after a fresh boot. I can't pin this issue down to the game, my Dreck, my WAP, or my terrible ISP, however.

I disabled that Wifi power management setting just now, however, after you brought it to my attention, as it specifically mentions affecting 5 GHz and that's what I primarily use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spaghett posted:

I'm on a Preview build and this is a frequent problem