Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I don’t know what the senate bill says but derricks are the temporary towers they use to drill, and pump jacks are the hammer looking things. It sounds like from the post they’re banning drilling, not pumping existing wells.

Yes, the bill prevents permitting for new wells within a generous setback. So you couldn't put a rig up and drill or redrill an existing well. You can still operate what you have existing. There are still some large driller rigs downtown and around LA proper that are sort of hidden away from view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Cubelodyte posted:

I just saw an LA Sheriff’s prisoner bus making its way down a surface street. I am in Fairfield. That seems weird. Is LA contracting with other counties for jail space because of overcrowding or something?

Could be, a couple months back a federal judge ruled that LA County Jails violate inmate human rights because the overcrowding means that people have to sleep on bare concrete floors, that there aren't enough toilets for the population, and a bunch of other stuff like that some days they don't do pill call.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Covid cases daily count have doubled since everyone stopped wearing masks and went to thanksgiving with Fox watching relatives.
I have breathing problems already and have just resigned myself to always wearing a mask in public for the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-fU5FnaVvw

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/indoor-masking-could-return-as-covid-cases-spike-health-officials-say/
"L.A. County has now reported more than 2,700 cases a day or 188 cases per 100,000 residents weekly. "

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I'm the only guy in my section of work without COVID at this very moment

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

OgNar posted:

Covid cases daily count have doubled since everyone stopped wearing masks and went to thanksgiving with Fox watching relatives.
I have breathing problems already and have just resigned myself to always wearing a mask in public for the near future.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/indoor-masking-could-return-as-covid-cases-spike-health-officials-say/
"L.A. County has now reported more than 2,700 cases a day or 188 cases per 100,000 residents weekly. "

Oh no! No one could have possibly predicted this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I caught the COVID last month and while my symptoms were mild because I'm properly vaxxed and boosted (thanks Kaiser!) I'm going to be wearing a mask for the near future.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jetz0r posted:

*Planning committee at work*
"We should have a fall play that starts the week after Thanksgiving!"

Me: lmao

----
*Planning committee, Dec 6*
"WTF 4 dancers have the flu, 2 actors have COVID?!'

Me: lmfao

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I managed to survive two eight-hour rides on Pacific Surfliner, but the bridge of my nose was very unhappy about it!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Amtrak is the best way to travel from San Diego to LA and I will not accept counterarguments.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Amtrak is the best way to travel from San Diego to LA, and I will not accept counterarguments.

Did they reopen the Pacific Surfliner?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FlapYoJacks posted:

Did they reopen the Pacific Surfliner?

Not yet, sadly. Gonna have to wait until next year to visit LA again.

Thank goodness my last visit happened before they shut the line down for repairs. Got to visit the La Brea Tar Pits before seeing Herbie Hancock at the Hollywood Bowl.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, having to switch to a bus at Irvine and sit in traffic until Oceanside was not ideal, but the rest of the ride from SLO was nice as always!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

idk really but it pisses me off but imhappy it got extended kuz my pal is undocumented and we gotta get he rear end to hawaii before hes banned from planes forever

Don't do it. Your pal could be pulled aside to secondary by tsa which does immigration enforcement

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/larry_levitt/status/1600522452332777473?s=46&t=CTST5S-Lk1ILIv2ooUB7SA

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

As usual, I spent around 3 weeks being more casual about masking just in time for everything to pop off. This is like the 4th time I've been the only guy wearing a mask anywhere and then when I finally started relaxing about it

this poo poo happens.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

On top of that, compared with the first shots, SCC has done a real half-assed job getting people the bivalent booster

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Kenning posted:

As usual, I spent around 3 weeks being more casual about masking just in time for everything to pop off. This is like the 4th time I've been the only guy wearing a mask anywhere and then when I finally started relaxing about it

this poo poo happens.

IMHO, it's not clear what's happening yet. I'd wait a week to see how things play out before changing things up. As of now, cases have gone up, but not exponentially like we've seen in the past and the waste water measurements dropped down some yesterday.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

They've essentially dismantled testing infrastructure, and no one is reporting anyway. I know case counts lag behind wastewater but it's still fucky:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Just got my gavin-bucks in the mail. It's a weird looking envelope with no documentation with a pre-paid debit card issued by the Bank of New York. You need to activate the card with your SSN and add a pin number to find out your balance. The only other thing in the envelope is a page that lists a long assortment of fees you'll get charged if you don't use the card right.

JFC :cripes:

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Bank of New York? How odd, mine was postmarked from Omaha and through something called Money Network.

We had to call them after my wife’s card was in our informed delivery email but never arrived. Their IVR phone system loving suuucks and if it doesn’t like your selections (~95% in my experience through hours of calls) it basically says “nah, call back with the card number that you never got” or an equally infuriating non-sequitur and hangs up on you. We finally were able to re-order the card, paying $8 to have it “expedited” and it still hasn’t arrived two weeks later lmao

E: oh I see on the fine print now the card does say “New York Community Bank.”

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Pretty sure the covid $1400 also came through moneynetwork.
Sounds more complicated now though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

Highbrow Slick posted:

E: oh I see on the fine print now the card does say “New York Community Bank.”

my dad has this theory/rant that ever since the west coast exploded in productivity and wealth the "east coast blueblood bankers" have been trying to claw back their fortunes and economic control. it's a pretty fun anachronistic bit of idiosyncratic prejudice and i really appreciate it, been trying to incorporate it more into my personal unhinged rant arsenal. the old "frontier spirit of the the west" vs the stodgy washed up leeches in the north east. makes me feel rebellious.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
the man really hates connecticut and delaware basically. he waffles on ny and mass since we have a lot of family there lol

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I used to get student loan disbursement on the same loving thing. A card with a million fees. Thanks college

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I had a tax return in 2020, but I didn't get a direct deposit of Gavinbux yet...not sure if I need to call or what. I'm sure that will be a fruitful wait on hold

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

the man really hates connecticut and delaware basically. he waffles on ny and mass since we have a lot of family there lol

im pretty sure more people live in Sacramento county than both those states combined or some poo poo lol

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Glass of Milk posted:

I had a tax return in 2020, but I didn't get a direct deposit of Gavinbux yet...not sure if I need to call or what. I'm sure that will be a fruitful wait on hold

See the "When you'll receive your payment" section of this page: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/middle-class-tax-refund/index.html

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

jetz0r posted:

:hmmyes:
This is exactly what I expected to happen and I anticipate the numbers to go up during January.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 9, 2022

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
FYI... this graph is pretty interesting. So far, this is mostly a massive spike among the unvaccinated. Will be interesting to see what it looks like when they update it tomorrow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

I haven’t gotten mine either, FWIW

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

confused posted:

FYI... this graph is pretty interesting. So far, this is mostly a massive spike among the unvaccinated. Will be interesting to see what it looks like when they update it tomorrow.

Vaccinated defined as? This is important I think, if you've had a recent booster vs. 2/3/4 (but no recent fifth).

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Ranter posted:

Vaccinated defined as? This is important I think, if you've had a recent booster vs. 2/3/4 (but no recent fifth).

For the purposes of this graph, it's just the initial two doses.
https://covid19.sccgov.org/dashboard-case-rates-vaccination-status

First of May
May 1, 2017

I would assume fully vaccinated means original two shot series, plus original booster, plus recent bivalent booster.

E: oh, well I'm just plain wrong then

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Ranter posted:

Given the total is very close to the vaccinated rate and represents something like weighted average of the unvaccinated and vaccinated rate, I imagine it's a fairly lax definition of vaccinated.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Is the implication that with each shot the odds catching covid drop?

First of May
May 1, 2017

side_burned posted:

Is the implication that with each shot the odds catching covid drop?

The odds of getting sick enough to get reported drop.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Given the current strains are Omicron (Omicron is Variant, the mutations within are Strains, right? Been a while since I read the good Covid thread), bivalent might be doing heaps of work here. As with everything that requires lots of data and time, too early to know?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Very few cases these days are the delta variant, although I do believe it is still somewhat persistent if predominantly outcompeted by the more contagious omicron strains. The fourth shot I believe targets the Alpha variant and Omicron strains BA.4 and BA.5 (maybe also Delta? I've found conflicting info). However new Omicron strains such as BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 are out in the wild and on the rise. Based on what little research has been done, it seems like the fourth shot does generally result in an increased antibody response to the new variants over those who don't have it, although it's not as effective as it is against BA.4/5.

Which strain is actually most predominant right now is hard to pin down, this article says BA.5 only accounts for 14% of new cases, but this California health portal says the breakdown of the three highest variants as of 12/7 is 33.6% BQ.1, 31.6% BQ.1.1, and 20.2% BA.5.

tl;dr you should get all four shots if you're able to, and at least for the next couple months masks up in public when indoors if you weren't already doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe posted:

the man really hates connecticut and delaware basically.

He's right