Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yes another difference is what trump did was way worse. Far more info that was far more secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

Presumably, the outside team they hired to go find the documents has as many of the correct clearances as it's reasonably possible to have.

Chelsea Manning was an active-duty soldier and subject to military law. Also, she contacted a total stranger completely unprompted to tell him all about what she did, which how she was caught after totally getting away with it for months.

Those are just two of the many, many differences between the Trump case and the Manning case.

I'm not sure that "contacted a complete stranger to tell them all about the crimes" is something Trump didn't do

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

World Famous W posted:

mah god, they got a strike needle
It's a very funny touch :discourse:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Yes another difference is what trump did was way worse. Far more info that was far more secret.

Chelsea Manning wasn't just prosecuted for taking documents home with her, she was prosecuted for sending those documents to a foreign national with the intention that they be publicly revealed to the entire world.

If there's any hard evidence that Trump has done that, it hasn't been publicly revealed yet.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

We have Maura Healey’s first official action as governor elect

https://www.masslive.com/news/2022/12/nantuckets-topless-beach-bylaw-gets-ag-healeys-ok.html?outputType=amp

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I'm actually kind of surprised that so many places still have this as unsettled law. People sued in NYC and a bunch of other states over this 20 years ago and they all determined that making it illegal for only women to be topless was a violation of the 13th amendment.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised that so many places still have this as unsettled law. People sued in NYC and a bunch of other states over this 20 years ago and they all determined that making it illegal for only women to be topless was a violation of the 13th amendment.

which, I mean, is fair

Idris Elba's rack is both gorgeous and scandalous

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

unless the 13th amendment has some really unusual interpretations I’m not familiar with, I think you mean the 14th

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

unless the 13th amendment has some really unusual interpretations I’m not familiar with, I think you mean the 14th

lol, yes. Typo'd on the phone.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

evilweasel posted:

boobs and moobs must be free

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well Ted Cruz’ daughter attempted suicide tonight. She apparently came out as bisexual earlier this year. No wonder she always acted like she didn’t want to be anywhere near him, the man probably made her life a living hell.

She’s apparently ok.

Thinking of donating to the Trevor Project in her name.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Oracle posted:

Well Ted Cruz’ daughter attempted suicide tonight. She apparently came out as bisexual earlier this year. No wonder she always acted like she didn’t want to be anywhere near him, the man probably made her life a living hell.

She’s apparently ok.

Thinking of donating to the Trevor Project in her name.

I hope she gets the help she needs. Even if he didn't make her life a living hell, just knowing that your father supports making life harder for people like you is sure to mess with someone's head.

Some random tweeted that cruz is staying in DC, so while I can't say that's for sure what he's doing, it would be the Ted Cruz thing to do.

vvvvvvv well, that's good to hear.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 8, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brittney Griner is finally free

https://twitter.com/potus/status/1600841306560937986?s=46&t=3BMoJWBD6wkjdHyEyp9P8A

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Good, now release everyone in US prison for similarly bullshit drug charges.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well that's awesome.

Completely unrelated but I was just wondering, Trump still hasn't tweeted since being unbanned, right?

My hope is that's a harbinger of things to come. I feel like he's dug himself further and further into this very specific niche whereas the rest of the alt-right still kind of wants to be mainstream. They generally saw Musk's takeover as a victory, but Trump refuses to accept it because he's still nursing some weird vague grudge that nobody else really cares about (or just an investment into his own platform I guess). Twitter may be on its deathbed, potentially, but people are still using it. It seems way more attractive to the alt-right at the moment than whatever Trump is doing.

Although I still have plenty of fears about DeSantis or whoever else they might come up with, I will still be very satisfied if Trump never gets anywhere near the White House again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Did they end up trading the merchant of death for her? Seems like a big flip from Russia who was refusing to trade prisoners or talk about it before.

PT6A posted:

Everyone in federal prison is out. They haven't actually jailed anyone for simple possession on the federal level since the mid 2000's. Plus, Biden pardoned everyone with federal weed possession charges and let everyone with non-violent drug offenses stay on house arrest permanently from Covid.

State prisons are where 99% of the bullshit drug charges are nowadays (specifically, about 12 states in the SE and plains).

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

PT6A posted:

Federally, they already have.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Federally, they already have.

with respect to Biden's clemency order for marijuana-related crimes, it released no one from prison because no one was in federal prison for simple possession of marijuana.

Cases involving simple possession being prosecuted federally are comparably rare, because they have to happen in areas under federal jurisdiction. Otherwise, it's for local authorities.

Those prosecutions shouldn't happen at all, though.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 8, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sir Lemming posted:

Well that's awesome.

Completely unrelated but I was just wondering, Trump still hasn't tweeted since being unbanned, right?

My hope is that's a harbinger of things to come. I feel like he's dug himself further and further into this very specific niche whereas the rest of the alt-right still kind of wants to be mainstream. They generally saw Musk's takeover as a victory, but Trump refuses to accept it because he's still nursing some weird vague grudge that nobody else really cares about (or just an investment into his own platform I guess). Twitter may be on its deathbed, potentially, but people are still using it. It seems way more attractive to the alt-right at the moment than whatever Trump is doing.

Although I still have plenty of fears about DeSantis or whoever else they might come up with, I will still be very satisfied if Trump never gets anywhere near the White House again.

I think Trump is just smart enough to know that now isn't a good time to want to be associated with Twitter.
Once the fallout from Elon finally settles down and every other tweet isn't "In case Twitter gets shut down, lol I'm so witty...", basically once the status returns to quo, he'll slip back in and claim that Twitter started improving again once he returned.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Did they end up trading the merchant of death for her? Seems like a big flip from Russia who was refusing to trade prisoners or talk about it before.

Yeah, literally the dude the movie Lord of War was based on. It's the biggest trade in WNBA history.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

nerox posted:

Yeah, literally the dude the movie Lord of War was based on.

Yeah, I know. Even though it was probably the right thing to do, it still feels kind of funny/crazy that they traded someone named "The Merchant of Death" for a WNBA player who got arrested for a vape cartridge.

nerox posted:

It's the biggest trade in WNBA history.

Brutal, but sadly probably true.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Yeah, I know. Even though it was probably the right thing to do, it still feels kind of funny/crazy that they traded someone named "The Merchant of Death" for a WNBA player who got arrested for a vape cartridge.

Brutal, but sadly probably true.

What's the likelihood this dude will continue his previous career? Every CIA-esque TV show I've ever watched convinces me he would be seen as tainted after spending so much time in US custody. Just doesn't seem like there was any risk here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

skylined! posted:

What's the likelihood this dude will continue his previous career? Every CIA-esque TV show I've ever watched convinces me he would be seen as tainted after spending so much time in US custody. Just doesn't seem like there was any risk here.

No clue, it's just kind of a weird/funny situation where someone named "The Merchant of Death" is being traded for a WNBA player that got arrested for a vape cartridge with a small amount of THC in it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

nerox posted:

the biggest trade in WNBA history.

New thread title?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

New thread title?

Done

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PT6A posted:

Should probably do something about all the people locked up in our own brutal labor gulags on other charges, too. That would be nice.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1600583313370255360

It’s a real shame rail workers had this option stolen from them.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Meatball posted:

Some random tweeted that cruz is staying in DC, so while I can't say that's for sure what he's doing, it would be the Ted Cruz thing to do.

Cruz has probably never had so many people say nice things to him. He’s not going to fly away from that.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nucleic Acids posted:

:centrism:

This is certainly good news for everyone except the airlines (actually its good news for them too in the long run).

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Should probably do something about all the people locked up in our own brutal labor gulags on other charges, too. That would be nice.

I think any federal drug charge should be vacated. We’re so past the ability to maintain even a shred of credibility on drug laws, cocaine is just basically legal for rich people, and yet people still get arrested for pot. Just rip the klan good off this nation already and accept what we are: druggies

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

More shots fired at a power plant in SC.

CCBS News posted:

An individual opened fire near a Duke Energy facility at Wateree Hydro Station in Ridgeway, South Carolina, on Wednesday, CBS News has learned.

According to multiple sources, the individual pulled up in a truck outside the facility around 5:30 p.m. ET before opening fire, using what appeared to be a long gun, and then speeding away. Several Duke Energy employees witnessed the event. No one was injured. It was not immediately clear how many people were in the truck.

A law enforcement official confirmed to CBS News that shots were apparently fired. In a statement to CBS News, Duke Energy said it is working "closely" with the FBI to investigate the issue.

"We are aware of reports of gunfire near the Wateree Hydro Station in Ridgeway," a Duke Energy spokesperson told CBS News. "No individuals were harmed. There are no outages reported. There is no known property damage at this time. We are working closely with the FBI on this issue."

Kershaw County Sheriff Lee Boan on Wednesday told CBS affiliate WLTX-TV, "We take this seriously." According to the sheriff, initial reports indicated an individual opened fire near trees lining the power plant. It was not immediately clear if the facility itself was targeted.

Ridgeway, South Carolina, is a small town of approximately 400 residents located across state lines and about 150 miles southwest of Moore County. The hydro facility — which has been generating power for over a century — is located outside the town's incorporated limits.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sounds like a person doing a copycat situation, but... why copycat that when you don't even know who did it and then run away? Someone was just mad, saw this on the news, assumed it was someone on their team, and then just went out and did it? Usually, the copycat people want fame or think they are part of the movement that they are copying.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Sounds like a person doing a copycat situation, but... why copycat that when you don't even know who did it and then run away? Someone was just mad, saw this on the news, assumed it was someone on their team, and then just went out and did it? Usually, the copycat people want fame or think they are part of the movement that they are copying.

Maybe another chud who may or may not be associated with the first attack, and is testing police response times?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Queering Wheel posted:

Maybe another chud who may or may not be associated with the first attack, and is testing police response times?

There's no info on it yet and it happened in a different state. Seems like "crazy person saw something on news and went to copy it," but we don't really know.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1600583313370255360

It’s crazy how poorly we pay airline pilots considering the responsibility they are given and the long hours/ridiculous amount of training required to become one.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s crazy how poorly we pay airline pilots considering the responsibility they are given and the long hours/ridiculous amount of training required to become one.
Don't forget that pilots have to start doing commuter flights, where they work medical resident-level hours on poverty wages. Yes, this has lead to crashes. No, nothing will be done about it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's no info on it yet and it happened in a different state. Seems like "crazy person saw something on news and went to copy it," but we don't really know.

Seeing people getting away with it is going to cause an uptick in them, there's a lot of far right freaks who have been shaping their ideology and consumption patterns for decades around some "grid-goes-down and finally the Real Americans can clean this place up" scenario because it's one of the most common tropes in media targeted at them. I don't know if it qualifies as copycat but this is likely the world that whoever did these attacks lives in and there's tens of millions of them.

I think we'd better start hoping the people doing it will also brag about doing so on social media so they actually get caught. Keeping attacks from getting media coverage isn't something to rely on anymore.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Democrats are nearing a deal with Republicans to reimplement the expanded the child tax credit in exchange for reimplementing a bunch of research and investment business tax credits from the Trump tax cuts + Covid stimulus bills.

The new child tax credit would be fully refundable, but would not be paid out monthly like it was initially. It would be one lump sum at the end of the year when you file your taxes.

Other things that there are still no agreement on for the spending bill:

- Extra money for Covid, Ukraine, and Hurricane disaster relief.
- Extending certain healthcare measures funded by the stimulus bill.
- Lifting the caps on defense spending and non-defense spending.
- More money for the NIH, CDC, and NCI for Biden's "cancer moonshot" research program.

Problems that may prevent a deal:

- Kevin McCarthy is telling Senate Republicans to not agree to any deal until he has control of the House in January.
- There isn't agreement on how high non-defense and defense spending should increase for government agencies.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1600858257140207616

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You really dont have to worry about "motive" or "reason" or "what they were thinking" with these sorts of things. They were given the programming "shooting up power stations owns the libs" and so they did it. Same as buying Goya beans or burning your Nikes and putting it on Facebook. "Why" isn't really part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

There's flavors of American right-wing extremism that say that high-profile violence or breakdowns in public order (such as mass shootings, major infrastructure breakdowns, or natural disasters) would snowball into a collapse of American society as we know it, and that they would somehow thrive in the post-collapse America. This can range from preppers thinking they're going to be living like kings in the post-collapse society to white supremacists thinking it's going to kick off a final war of racial annihilation for control of the country. And there's a sub-group of that which adds in some accelerationism, tacking on the idea that it's better to go out of their way to try to cause that collapse in society so that they can usher in that period of far-right domination sooner.

The right-wing militia plots are usually more dramatic than this, but after seeing someone cause this much damage without being caught, it's not shocking that there'd be copycats even without an explicit connection.