Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nodoze posted:

The Angels also keep losing because they keep throwing money at bats and don't have a pitching staff other than Ohtani

They keep signing bats on the wrong side of 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Angels keep losing because they have no player development to speak of

The Dodgers entire rotation is home grown right now, and all FA supplements to it this past year were reclamation projects they managed to fix

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 8, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Everyone knows the back end of huge deals are whatever, it's just the cost of doing business. None of these teams are hurting for money

Tons of teams don't have late 20s/early 30s dudes on 10 year contracts. 11 year pre-arb extension for Tatis, Acuna, J-Rod: makes sense. 11 year FA signing for 30-year old Xander Bogaerts? That isn't the cost of doing business, that's a terrible contract. Just go look at Sox twitter/reddit/social medal they're like "Lol love you X, but not that much". Pads were on tilt from getting shut out from the big time FAs and massively overpaid. They now have five SS on their 40 man

bawfuls posted:

The Angels keep losing because they have no player development to speak of

The Dodgers entire rotation is home grown right now

Yeah this is the secret sauce and there's no substitute for it. Young dudes under lots of team control with a few vets traded for/signed to fill holes.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 8, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sure would be nice if the Cubs made a big deal.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Sure would be nice if the Cubs made a big deal.

There's still some reclamation project pitchers out there.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Also, for funsies (names removed because remembering is doxxing):
[After the Yankees leaked their offer]

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3998983&pagenumber=5&perpage=40&highlight=judge#post522676806 posted:

Judge is about to be 30, has injury history and has an underlying health problem that could supposedly end his career at any moment

Probably should have snapped up that contract

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3998983&pagenumber=5&perpage=40&highlight=judge#post522676856 posted:

i feel like if you're an injury prone player about to turn 30 and someone offers you this contract you do a big fist pump and go buy a new mansion somewhere

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3998983&pagenumber=5&perpage=40&highlight=judge#post522675044 posted:

Yes if I were him I would have taken it

I highly doubt he gets close to that on the open market

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998983&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=judge&pagenumber=6#post522678319 posted:

turning that offer down is.....an interesting decision

like does he really expect to get 8+ years next year in FA?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998983&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=judge&pagenumber=6#post522678485 posted:

He is 30, who is giving him a 10 year deal? 7 for 225 is a lot for a guy with his injury history and more than I expected them to offer to be quite honest

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998983&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=judge&pagenumber=6#post522678610 posted:

we already knew Judge's decision-making wasn't the best but if he thinks he's gonna get 10 years in FA then just :laffo:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998983&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=judge&pagenumber=6#post522679558 posted:

"I think Judge is crazy not to take that deal because of his own injury history and the way the market is these days. I'm pretty sure he'd be in top 10 paid position players if not top 5.

Dunno what other teams go after him too. All the big money players seem spoken for or are too cheap.
[in repsonse to Judge's camp coming out looking for 9+ years at an AAV over $30.5m]

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998983&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=judge&pagenumber=7#post522681721 posted:

aaron judge's camp is not very bright it seems

normally you expect so much more from a camp

Extremely intelligent and good looking poster posted:

Kris Bryant being the perfect reminder that it only takes one. Will he get 324/9 on the market next year? Probably not, but part of the team benefit of extending your stars is that you don't have to worry about a bidding war with *spins wheel* the Padres after they magically shed Hosmer and Wil. Should they go and albatross themselves like that again? No. Would I want to bet on Preller showing restraint, especially if this season ends in a sweep or another collapse and his job is on the line? No.

213/7? Wouldn't shock me to see him getting as a FA. Why shouldn't he tell the Yankees they need to pay him more as a premium to avoid getting into a bidding war with an idiot billionaire?

Extremely ugly dumbdumb who had the benefit of seeing half the season posted:

Honestly the best solution to me feels something like 225/5 before an optout and then 75/5 as the back half. Maybe a team option with a $30m buyout after year 7. Basically the Yankees guaranteeing $60m for the right to pay him around his value now while protecting themselves on the back end and betting that Judge feels confident enough about the back half and rising salaries that he'll bet on beating $85/5 in a few years rather than hunting $310/10.

May not be particularly appealing to the Yankees, but a structure of them risking $60m and 2 years of a roster spot while Judge risks $25m (310-225-60) feels like it solidly balances.

I will hold to my comment in early April though:

Paracaidas posted:

:agreed:
He's taking a risk with injury and owners loving him but we need more players who've already made tens of millions to keep pushing the envelope so that the pre-arb guys get bigger bags. "He's not worth that" is relative to what? The billions of dollars in franchise appreciation we've seen across the league? The TV contracts? Or when compared to the artificially suppressed salaries of other players?

I do wonder if it'd be legal to have the MLBPA create a downside guarantee pool for young stars. Hit certain performance thresholds by a given age/service time and the PA will guarantee a minimum level of career earnings. It'd mitigate a lot of the risk that drives prearb players to teamfriendly deals (the first $20m in earnings matter a lot more to the player than the last $50m they make in their careers, etc), and paying back some portion of earnings over the guarantee should make it selfsustaining. It'd also be way less abusive and towards a better cause than the loansharking of scum like "Big League Advance" (Tatis)
Dude took a risk that not only got himself paid but is going to help drive up arb/pre-arb extensions across the league. Hero poo poo.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

bawfuls posted:

It wont be a third of their payroll by then at the rate revenues have been growing.
Yup. Also Seidler bought the team (and 20% of the RSN, :lol:) for $600m a decade ago, per Forbes. By their estimate (slightly better for valuation than the dogshit it is for revenue), at the start of 2022 the franchise is now worth a billion more. After the playoff run and implementing a waitlist because too many people want season tickets, I'm sure that'll be much closer to $2b when they update in March. Cannot stress enough that looking payroll compared to revenue is giving in to the owners' dumbass framing and that Seidler will have made insane profit on the Padres as an asset even if they re-sign Manny and Soto to recordbreaking deals in consecutive offseasons and somehow Angels their way out of contention for a few years

Every team in every market can do this. Most would just rather coast on other teams causing their values to appreciate while also turning an operating profit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Just go look at Sox twitter/reddit/social medal they're like "Lol love you X, but not that much".
Yeah, most of the ire at the Red Sox FO is over them letting things get to this point, like if they offered X that 6/160 at the start of last season would he have taken it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s way better for the team to pay a guy 20 million now and 20 million ten years from now rather than 40 million now. Simplifying it a bit

Those long deals are exceedingly team friendly, they aren’t “terrible contracts” or whatever

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Yup. Also Seidler bought the team (and 20% of the RSN, :lol:) for $600m a decade ago, per Forbes. By their estimate (slightly better for valuation than the dogshit it is for revenue), at the start of 2022 the franchise is now worth a billion more. After the playoff run and implementing a waitlist because too many people want season tickets, I'm sure that'll be much closer to $2b when they update in March. Cannot stress enough that looking payroll compared to revenue is giving in to the owners' dumbass framing and that Seidler will have made insane profit on the Padres as an asset even if they re-sign Manny and Soto to recordbreaking deals in consecutive offseasons and somehow Angels their way out of contention for a few years

Every team in every market can do this. Most would just rather coast on other teams causing their values to appreciate while also turning an operating profit.

Yes they *could* do it but they never will so I'd rather discuss the real market than the ideal luxury communism market. The real market is whatever the owners have colluded - either indirectly through payroll management or probably, directly - to set it at.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paracaidas posted:

[in repsonse to Judge's camp coming out looking for 9+ years at an AAV over $30.5m]

I will hold to my comment in early April though:

Dude took a risk that not only got himself paid but is going to help drive up arb/pre-arb extensions across the league. Hero poo poo.

None of those takes were unreasonable at the time, the dude had the best offensive season since Bonds. The time period the Yankees hosed this up was by not signing Judge long term back in 2018 or 2019 like the Braves do but they NEVER do that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

pretty sure one of these is me and I have no problem admitting I was wrong

no-one was expecting Judge to put up a historically good season and drive his price way the gently caress up

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

None of those takes were unreasonable at the time, the dude had the best offensive season since Bonds. The time period the Yankees hosed this up was by not signing Judge long term back in 2018 or 2019 like the Braves do but they NEVER do that.

Now now, they signed Severino and Hicks. Cashman probably looked at that and goes "SEE this is why we don't do that :smug: "

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

So are the Cubs just giving up on Nico at short or are they planning on moving him to 2B because SS is one of the few positions with good free agents this year?

I'd feel more comfortable without Sampson as our 5th starter, but Stro, Hendricks, Taillon, and Steele are a solid rotation as long as Hendricks isn't dead forever.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
can't believe the Cubbies are holding off on announcing Cool Carlos, beloved teammate by all, is coming to Wrigleyville wow just get it public guys

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

can't believe the Cubbies are holding off on announcing Cool Carlos, beloved teammate by all, is coming to Wrigleyville wow just get it public guys

They need time to get the clubhouse cans ready.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Twin Cinema posted:

I love cheering for San Diego, because I like when teams just say "gently caress it", and try their hardest at building a roster with money. It's why I have never disliked the Dodgers.

The Dodgers are essentially homegrown OP. I guess they had Freeman, Betts, and Trea Turner but the latter 2 were trades that utilized their farm to pick up and they only signed Betts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chicago Cub Carlos Correa is pleasantly alliterative and, if I may, euphonic.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

zoux posted:

Many people are saying this

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

They aren't worthy of our beautiful boy.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zoux posted:

Yes they *could* do it but they never will so I'd rather discuss the real market than the ideal luxury communism market. The real market is whatever the owners have colluded - either indirectly through payroll management or probably, directly - to set it at.
We'll see what happens in a few years, given the Padres massive growth. If Seidler cashes out, it won't be long until other owners realize that some other billionaire'll be on the hook for the bad future years of the contracts they sign to boost value and have fun playoff runs today.

All that said, deal doesn't seem great. Still not as bad as the Diaz contract though.

mcmagic posted:

Julio Cruz posted:

pretty sure one of these is me and I have no problem admitting I was wrong

no-one was expecting Judge to put up a historically good season and drive his price way the gently caress up
:shrug: even just matching Fangraph's ZIPs projection would have had him 5th in OPS this year. I'm sure he wouldn't have made quite as much without the run but it sure looks like even just matching that would've gotten him a lot better than 225x7

In all seriousness, part of not quoting names is that this wasn't meant as "look at these abject morons"... Just funny how nearly universal the narrative was that Judge's expectations were unreasonable and he'd be lucky to sign the Yankees offer. Contract hot takes are fun, I'm sure Diaz is going to be the second coming of Mo and my insistence it's the offseason's worst contract will look dumb as hell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Now now, they signed Severino and Hicks. Cashman probably looked at that and goes "SEE this is why we don't do that :smug: "

Well they also suck at picking out the right players to extend. The Severino contract was fine and I guess there was an argument to be made that Hicks had some upside and he was OK for a few years with the Yankees but Judge was a no brainer to extend. The guy had an MVP season as a rookie.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Well they also suck at picking out the right players to extend. The Severino contract was fine and I guess there was an argument to be made that Hicks had some upside and he was OK for a few years with the Yankees but Judge was a no brainer to extend. The guy had an MVP season as a rookie.

Whatever happened to Tanaka? Did he fall off and just disappear? He was a playoff monster.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

Celebrated Cheating Can-Clanging Chicago Cub Carlos Correa Crushes Copious Curveballs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Whatever happened to Tanaka? Did he fall off and just disappear? He was a playoff monster.

They let him go back to Japan.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

He went back to Japan and is pitching there

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tanaka is a guy that every Yankee fan loved but I don't think it was insane to not sign him back tbh. The pitching hasn't been the problem.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

It's okay, you can just say it was mcmagic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

It's okay, you can just say it was mcmagic

I don't think any of those quotes were me. However I did think that the Yankees spring training offer was reasonable and that he wasn't going to come back after they made the offer public to try to turn the fans against him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

It’s way better for the team to pay a guy 20 million now and 20 million ten years from now rather than 40 million now. Simplifying it a bit

Those long deals are exceedingly team friendly, they aren’t “terrible contracts” or whatever

$25 million is not going to be a big deal in 2030.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

One of them was me, poo poo happens. He bet on himself and won

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
if anyone goes back to look through my post history you will find i have never been wrong about anything

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Kind of hosed up that the Dodgers are more scared of the fan reaction to signing Correa than they were with Bauer.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Traxis posted:

Kind of hosed up that the Dodgers are more scared of the fan reaction to signing Correa than they were with Bauer.

Bauer did not have the same baggage at the time of signing him that he does now

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That reaction will also end for most of the fanbase about 10 seconds after he gets his first RBI in a Dodger uniform.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Bauer did not have the same baggage at the time of signing him that he does now

One of his accusers filed a police report against him in 2017, and had a restraining order against him in 2020, well before the Dodgers signed him

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
He was well known as an egotistical shithead even before the allegations came out.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Paracaidas posted:

I was really hoping someone would say "gently caress the cap" and offer him $300/5 or $360/6. That would have been a phenomenal deal for both sides.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Traxis posted:

One of his accusers filed a police report against him in 2017, and had a restraining order against him in 2020, well before the Dodgers signed him

That wasn't public knowledge, that I am aware of anyway, until after the blow up once he got to LA. I don't recall that being put out there until people started digging into him after the suit was announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodoze posted:

That wasn't public knowledge, that I am aware of anyway, until after the blow up once he got to LA. I don't recall that being put out there until people started digging into him after the suit was announced
No you’re correct, his previous legal issues were not widely reported.